What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A5 or Arteon - NAthan smith
Hi all
Looking for your feedback. I’m torn between an A5 fastback S line trim or an Arteon R line spec with the 2.0 diesel. Around an 18 plate the dimensions look reasonably the same the Arteon is slightly cheaper. Anyone have experience of running Costs, servicing , residuals? Thanks
A5 or Arteon - badbusdriver
Hi all Looking for your feedback. I’m torn between an A5 fastback S line trim or an Arteon R line spec with the 2.0 diesel. Around an 18 plate the dimensions look reasonably the same the Arteon is slightly cheaper. Anyone have experience of running Costs, servicing , residuals? Thanks

Neither are my cup of tea.

But as they are essentially the same car under the skin, they will drive pretty much the same (and consume about the same amount of fuel). So it really boils down which you prefer the look of, and whether or not you feel the Audi badge is worth a premium.

At their respective dealers, the Audi might be dearer but if so, I wouldn't expect there to be much difference between the two. But as both will be out of warranty, might be worth checking if there are alternatives to a main dealer.

As for residuals, as you have already discovered the Arteon to be slightly cheaper, I think you have answered that question yourself.

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears, but may be worth pointing out that the Skoda Superb also sits on that same platform. You'd get something the same age for a worthwhile saving over the Arteon, or get a newer car for the same money.

Edited by badbusdriver on 16/02/2022 at 19:49

A5 or Arteon - RT

The A5 doesn't use the MQB transverse-engine platform used by the Arteon and Superb - it uses the longitudinal-engine MLB/MLB Evo platform shared with the larger Audi's

A5 or Arteon - badbusdriver

The A5 doesn't use the MQB transverse-engine platform used by the Arteon and Superb - it uses the longitudinal-engine MLB/MLB Evo platform shared with the larger Audi's

Fair do's.

I still reckon you won't notice much, if any, difference in the way they drive despite the different engine orientation. I did watch a Car Wow video comparison between the two from a few years ago. The Arteon has more space for rear seat passengers, along with a bigger boot (not that the A5 was cramped). They did say the A5 was quieter and more refined (which they put down to better sound insulation), but I couldn't help noticing the Arteon had tyres which appeared to be of a much lower profile than those on the Audi (which would make a difference).