What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Ex Alfa mail

I appreciate in the bigger scheme of things this may seem trivial but I would genuinely like some considered feedback. I run a small advisory firm and over the years we have worked hard to become recognised as the leaders in our field. Seven years ago a number of our clients took me aside and explained that I needed a better car for when I visited their head offices (I was driving a Discovery 3 at the time). After much debate with my colleagues I bought an M4 convertible as that was, in my opinion, of sufficient status to satisfy our clients. I deliberately chose a dark blue colour and it was easily mistaken for a 3 series cooking model. Now, the same has happened again but the suggestions are centred around an Aston, Bentley, 911 or Ferrari. Because of my Italian heritage, and love of Italian cars, I am drawn to a Ferrari. However, I am thinking of the Portofino (again in dark blue) as it is the smallest and most discreet of their range. So, at the risk of opening myself to negative comments, what does our esteemed panel of enthusiasts think?

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - tight git

Don't see the need to keep it discrete - go for the colour that you like the best!

If you can afford and justify a car like that then good for you but you might as well enjoy it properly.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - SLO76
Well done in your success, you’re in an enviable position but even if I could afford to buy one outright I wouldn’t waste so much money on a car. While I understand the need to present a profession image, you can buy or lease a prestigious yet inoffensive car for a fraction of the price of a Ferrari. If you turned up in a BMW M4 or a 320d I’d think you were professional and successful but turn up in a Ferrari and I’ll be thinking that you’re overcharging me or trying too hard to shout success. Your personal abilities should sell you and your firm not the car. If of course you simply want one then go get it and stop worrying about what others think, if it’s all just down to image then I wouldn’t.
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Alby Back
Tee hee. I’m a director of a multi million turnover business and we supply some of the biggest and most prestigious companies in Europe.

Quite often I turn up on the bus or the tube or on my bike if I’m visiting their offices. They don’t seem to mind if I’ve got something useful to say to them when I get there. ;-)

But, hey, if business is that good and you want a Ferrari then go for it: Why not, you only live once and what a marvellous thing to experience if you can.

What someone else thinks of my car, is at best only mildly interesting, I’m far more engaged with what I think about my car.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - _

I appreciate in the bigger scheme of things this may seem trivial but I would genuinely like some considered feedback. I run a small advisory firm and over the years we have worked hard to become recognised as the leaders in our field. Seven years ago a number of our clients took me aside and explained that I needed a better car for when I visited their head offices (I was driving a Discovery 3 at the time). After much debate with my colleagues I bought an M4 convertible as that was, in my opinion, of sufficient status to satisfy our clients. I deliberately chose a dark blue colour and it was easily mistaken for a 3 series cooking model. Now, the same has happened again but the suggestions are centred around an Aston, Bentley, 911 or Ferrari. Because of my Italian heritage, and love of Italian cars, I am drawn to a Ferrari. However, I am thinking of the Portofino (again in dark blue) as it is the smallest and most discreet of their range. So, at the risk of opening myself to negative comments, what does our esteemed panel of enthusiasts think?

You have done well..

If any car ticks your boxes, go for it.

Life is too short.

I seriously doubt that any of our members can advise, except for (perhaps) John F with his lovely A8.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - alan1302

I think you should buy the car that you want rather than what you thinks give you status.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - nick62

When I first went self-employed in the mid 90's, my next door neighbour was some sort of bigwig at one of the largest global breakfast cereal producers.

we were discussing what sort and age of car to replace my soon to be lost company workhorse. His take was if a supplier turned-up to a meeting in a five year-old Sierra (as opposed to a new/newer BMW 3-series for example) he'd look down on that as a negative, as the new/posher car indicated I had a successful business. I found that a very strange opinion, particularly as one of my contemporaries at the time was paying upwards of £600 a month for a flashy Merc.............. and subsequently went bust.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Terry W

You and your business are obviously concerned more about status than engineering quality, driving experience or value for money.

It all seems a bit shallow to me - just go for whatever rocks your boat.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Alby Back
In my experience, business decisions tend to be quite binary, based almost entirely on whether the proposition is useful, of provable quality and acceptable price and service level in the light of prevailing/current market conditions, needs, forecasts and alternatives.

How the individual chooses to propel him or herself to any meetings that propose or subsequently manage it, is pretty low down on the list of priorities.
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Manatee

I think the advice from your clients on this is worth what you paid for it.

Good grief, buy and drive what you want if you are in a position to do it. I can't believe it would cost you business to turn up in a Mondeo if that's what you want.

Ferraris in general are not everyday cars. In the sense they are not useful, they are toys. You can't really leave one just anywhere, so most are very low mileage, either garage queens or just used for high days and holidays, the odd track day, or classic car outing.

That said, other than being a vandal magnet the Portofino is as near to suitable for daily use as a Ferrari can get, not really much different to an F Type in size and wieldiness, and somewhat lighter. If I had £175k spare I might try to persuade myself that one in dark blue with standard exhaust and without the yellow side badges would be semi stealthy. I know I wouldn't do it though, Ferraris, even in dark blue, aren't for shy people and I actually don't enjoy very fast cars as much as getting the best out of a low powered one.

In the Portofino's favour, depreciation will be much better than some other cars you could spend that amount of money on so you would probably get out OK if it didn't take.. And if you can afford to buy it, you probably won't mind having your wallet drained when it needs servicing. If you want a laugh, ask the dealer what fitting new pads and carbon ceramic discs will cost.

Edited by Manatee on 08/02/2022 at 14:18

Ooh now then, an F Type…
Flashy, but not too flashy.
Hmmm

Might break though, but then again so might a Ferrari I suppose.
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - edlithgow

Long time ago, when I was much poorer than I became later but not quite so poor as I am now, I turned up late to a meeting, my car (a Mk1 Lada, my second favorite) having suffered a split fuel hose, requiring a quick roadside repair.

"I don't know why you drive that thing", quoth a Glaswegian college who's conversation was usually a series of verbal head-buts. "It isný much of a status symbol, is it?"

"Sure it is", ses I

"**** ***" ses he. "MY BMW, THAT is a status symbol"

"They are BOTH status symbols", ses I "The difference is, my Lada is an accurate status symbol"

I was the other side of the table, too far away for a real head but.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Sparrow

Maybe it is your choice of colour that is being objected to. Rather than dark blue perhaps a more sporting blue. Jags are not my chouce of chariot but they do a nice brightish metallic blue. There are plenty if other choices between a dark blue and bright red.

As for what model, there are plenty of what I would call high status cars. Yes a Bentley might be nice if that's the image that you are required to present. Or even a high powered Audi S- something. I wouldn't spend that sort if money on a car even if I had it, but if the business demands it and you are being asked to do it, then, as others have said, enjoy it.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - _

Presumably. it will be a "company car" , but I wonder what the BIK rate is on that?

Perhaps not so bad if paid in dividends and not payroll.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - nick62

Presumably. it will be a "company car" , but I wonder what the BIK rate is on that?

Perhaps not so bad if paid in dividends and not payroll.

You'd still have to pay the full BIK to HMRC, it can't be avoided by not receiving a salary.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - brum

Surprised that no-one has suggested the OP buy a Toyota Yaris or a Honda Jazz instead. SLO will be able to find some good examples if you give an idea where you live.

;)

Edited by brum on 08/02/2022 at 17:36

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - SLO76

Surprised that no-one has suggested the OP buy a Toyota Yaris or a Honda Jazz instead. SLO will be able to find some good examples if you give an idea where you live.

;)

Was going to suggest a ten year old Civic.
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - RJ414i

;)

Was going to suggest a ten year old Civic.

That would be the era of using a drop of oil (2012), so better push the boat out and get a newer 2013 model ?? ??

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - thunderbird

Looking at the tables it seems to be 37%.

With a list price of over £160,000 that's about £2,000 a month for a 40% tax payer.

Anyone for a basic Sandero, about £70 a month for a 40% tax payer.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Manatee

Light blue one in this review.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1I6hqIeTMs

Lovely car, but much too powerful for me and I have so far failed to enjoy changing gear with switches, despite trying to like it. The point of a fun car for me is to drive it, not give it instructions.

The fact that I don't want to spend £175k on a car is a happy coincidence.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - daveyjp

What vehicle will you use at this time of year? I certainly wouldn't be out in a Ferrari.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - paul 1963

If you've got the money then go for it, I certainly would, stunning car, apart from the obvious red I think they suit white as well, dark blue is a b***** to keep clean, looks clean for about ten minutes.

Buy British, get a McLaren instead.
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - badbusdriver
Buy British, get a McLaren instead.

I was actually thinking of a Rolls Royce Wraith. Might not be new (the OP has not given a 'budget'), but what a way to 'arrive'!

A chap I happen to know quite well is one of the wealthiest people in the country. Old money sort of guy. Billionaire land and business owner.
You wouldn’t know it if you met him though, very laid back individual, easy going, usually to be found in an old jumper and jeans with a scruffy pair of desert boots or similar on his feet.
You’d imagine he’d have something outstanding as his car, but his daily driver is a ten year old Golf with dings in it. Doesn’t give a flying fig what anyone thinks of his car.
Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Metropolis.
I think that is the perfect example of why old money is a bad thing. It is totally wasted on them.

For the OP, if you do a lot of miles, maybe consider a GT car? A Bentley Continental maybe? As much presence but a bit more practical.
I used to work for a rather well known, wealthy (though he’d deny it) and famous music producer. He owned a small exquisite o gauge model train manufacturing firm locally where I spent my days happily surrounded by modern and ancient machinery and bits of old car and bike (it was a proper man cave) while manufacturing components for expensive model trains. I loved that wee job, it was such a therapeutic way to spend your day. On visits to the site he wouldn’t rock up in a glamorous exotic car, no instead he rattled up in an elderly and rather grubby BMW X5. He always seemed pretty down to earth. I know a few other multimillionaires who drive around in old heaps without a care about image.

I personally don’t care much about image and a lottery win would see the drive and garage of my nice (but still modest) home filled with old run of the mill motors. Perhaps a Range Rover for everyday use. But leasing supercars etc to get the attention of others just doesn’t do it for me. I absolutely respect others for choosing to buy one but do so because you love the drive and not to impress others. I knew a chap who had a Ferrari Mondial in the 90’s and despite the badge it was utter garbage both to sit in and to drive while it cost him a screaming fortune to maintain.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/02/2022 at 21:32

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - Ex Alfa mail

Many thanks for the comments and advice. For completeness I should explain that this will become a pool car and is available only for business use. It will, like the MR previously, only be used for the appropriate client visits. Personally, I learned to drive with a Fiat126 and that taught me the importance of anticipation and maintenance of momentum. My current daily driver is a 500 (Twin Air) in the winter months and a Toyota MR2 (Mk2) in the summer. Whether one agrees with the status thing or not, I have to be pragmatic and do what is best for our business. Again, many thanks for the valuable insights. I have long believed the value of this website lies in this discussion board and not in the editorial content. Long may it continue. With warmest wishes Franc

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - edlithgow

Obviously I'm out of my comfort zone (or maybe discomfort zone) with this question. but I wonder how a "Classic" would work in this context.

Something originally a bit high end, shiny and well sorted. Are there tax disadvantages?

It would sort of say established rather than arriviste, which doesnt seem an especially bad thing.

Reliant Scimitar? Princess Anne. ye ken

A late model Aston at a considerable saving on new? Not hard to find, I imagine.

A friend bought a lowish mileage, well cared for 2003 Bentley Arnage for under £20k about a year ago. Nice to drive, to arrive in, and the extra petrol wouldn't make much of a dent in the £155,000 saving over the Portofino.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - alan1302

Whether one agrees with the status thing or not, I have to be pragmatic and do what is best for our business.

Did it improve business when you changed the car before? And if so enough to cover the cost of the car and running costs?

I just wanted to update you on the Portofino M. I did indeed place an order and am sat in what appears to be a lengthy waiting list. This suits me just fine. I should have made clear that not all of our clients are car enthusiasts, but the ones that are always start a meeting with a question of where I am in the queue. The benefit is that even highly technical meetings always start with some light conversation. So I currently have the kudos of ownership but not the responsibility. One of the previous replies (Manatee I believe) had mentioned the financial risks are containable and that is surprisingly true. The service costs are covered (7 years), the warranty appears solid, and depreciation is rather modest. So a point well made and I took that on board. And I forgot to reply to Alan previously, apologies. Yes, when we upgraded all of our cars previously there was a noticeable uptick in business. We are now perceived as being "better" than our peers. Shallow? Of course. Luckily we do provide an excellent service but we know we have a target on our backs I have never been one for such obvious status statements but the evidence is clear and compelling for us. It isn't my place to judge and horses for courses I guess. Many thanks again for all the comments. They really were very useful.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - John F

I seriously doubt that any of our members can advise, except for (perhaps) John F with his lovely A8.

Nope, not me. (Although lovely, my old A8 is not actually worth a lot). I wouldn't care a flying fig about what any professional I engaged drove, apart from interest if it was interesting. I don't think Warren Buffett's propensity for automotive thrift affected his professional standing.

Conversely, I didn't care a flying fig whether or not anyone doubted my expertise back in the '80s when I rolled up in my second hand TR7.

Ferrari Portofino M to replace an M4 convertible - Some advice please (but please keep it polite) - primus 1

Of course, if you really want to impress, get yourself helicoptered in ….

Or do this....................

www.youtube.com/watch?v=daSqvhEcfDM