Used MPV / Maybe small estate - Older99

Thanks to all the people on this forum we took a look at the hatchbacks recommended I my last post and unfortunately they didn't have either the low boot height or room for what is now 3 dogs. Mainly 2 dogs but sometimes 3 when on holiday.

So we are looking for an MPV maybe small estate which has good avg MPG 40+ , Low boot height etc Totally happy to consider a diesel or petrol

We went to see a 1.9tdi touran 2005 and it looked ideal but the one we saw was a bit ropey and mega miles 145k

So ..views on the following Diesel or Petrol ( good mpg please )

Ford C-Max

Mazda 5

Peugeot 208/308 SW

Seat Altea

Toyota Verso

Vauxhall Zafira

VW Touran

We have adjusted the budget to £2-3500 k

Thanks a lot

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - Palcouk

At that price a Diesel is likely to be a money pit

Japanese/Asian for that price

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - badbusdriver

At that price a Diesel is likely to be a money pit

Japanese/Asian for that price

I dunno, should be able to get something pretty tasty for £3500k

;-)

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - Xileno

You will need to buy privately at this budget, since once you remove the dealer's margin it's bargain basement territory especially with today's inflated prices.

True

We have heard the Touran 1.9tdi can do Stella miles and is very reliable but not sure if thats true and whether one with 150k miles is still work a punt ?

True

We have heard the Touran 1.9tdi can do Stella miles and is very reliable but not sure if thats true and whether one with 150k miles is still work a punt ?

It can, but as with any engine, needs to be looked after. Only you can decide whether it is worth a punt, and that really depends on how lucky you are feeling.

Its a shame that buying a car of any age can be a roll of the dice but I guess thats life !

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - barney100

Mate got a Freelander for £800, diesel engine. On the face of it total madness but in reality it's been fine over the first year.

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - SLO76
You’ll struggle to find a usable MPV for that sort of money today. Possibly a Mk I C-Max with the robust Yamaha 1.6 or Mazda 1.8/2.0 petrol motors or a Zafira 1.6 petrol might be found that’ll offer some reliability but you certainly won’t find a good diesel MPV for this money.

I’d advise borrowing more or simply accepting the slight limitations imposed by a more basic petrol hatchback like a Focus. We have a large dog (Alsatian) and once had two, yet we managed without any problems in our 2003 Honda Civic that we had at the time. Unless your dogs are elderly I don’t see much trouble in using a normal family hatchback or small estate.

If you absolutely must have an MPV then I’d recommend finding more money.

I did think of the Honda Civic, havent actually been to see one yet but concerned a bit about what seems like a sloping boot. Wanted them at least to be able to sit up

cheers

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - Engineer Andy

I did think of the Honda Civic, havent actually been to see one yet but concerned a bit about what seems like a sloping boot. Wanted them at least to be able to sit up

cheers

I think SLO was referring to the Civic from 99-05, where the 5dr version had a decent sized boot with a boxy rear end, unless the subsequent ones which have a more sloping rear window.

You may also want to consider (though not that many around in comparison to the hatch) the same Ford Focus (mk2) being referred to earlier but in estate form.

The Skoda Octavia perhaps as well (the boot is very big even in the hatch), though I'd stay with a manual petrol version unless a diesel was the 1.9PDI (pre DPF?) and had a full service history and no engine/emissions system faults - and only if you don't drive into cities, as it won't be a car that avoids any (existing or forthcoming) ULEZ charges.

Petrol cars of EU4 and above will for the next few years at least. Diesels have to be EU6 or better, I think.

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - JonestHon

As the owner of two dogs, one big (Anatolian Shepherd, and one smaller doodle) we get along fine with the Avensis Tourer.

The rear is slightly slopping but the dogs learnt to stay back when you shut them in, slopping roof line means the back window get filthy very quick so you need to keep on top with cleaning.

We found that most MPV'S didn't add much more usable dog space over an estate but there was an exception when we looked at the Berlingo type van based contraptions, these were on a league of their own, very clever cars. Still if you don't care about driving dynamics it can be a good place to look at.

If you have three dogs, I'd say you will want a big estate, not a small one.

Beg and rob if you must, but realistically you are looking at £5.5k for anything half decent www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202201181486125?a...3

But if you look properly, you will see that the point where the slope from the roof meets the vertical surface coming up from the rear bumper is very high. That is why there is the second window under the spoiler without which, you'd have a very limited view through the mirror. On top of this, looking at pics, the boot is actually very deep relative to the top of the bumper, maybe 6" below it.

But I'd still be trying to get an estate with, if not a lower step up for the dogs, at least not a drop inside. This would make entry and exit for the dogs easier, especially as they get older. Your budget is certainly limited, but a half decent Astra or Focus estate should still be doable. In fact looking on Autotrader, I see that there are 1.7CDTI (diesel) Astra estates available in budget. This is one of a very few Diesel engines I'd consider at this sort of budget, the 1.7 is made by Isuzu (rather than Fiat, who made the 1.3, 1.6 and 2.0) and is pretty dependable. I wouldn't be keen on a diesel Focus (nor the 1.0 Ecoboost), just the 1.6, 1.8, and 2.0 petrol.

Thanks..I'll take a look at both the avenues and astra estates

Is the Golf Plus a decent car. It has a bigger boot than the normal golf ?

Thanks..I'll take a look at both the avenues and astra estates

Is the Golf Plus a decent car. It has a bigger boot than the normal golf ?

Problem with the Golf Plus, as with many VW's, is picking the right engine. If memory serves, the Golf Plus would cover the early days of the TSI engine, the problematic chain drive version which you'd want to avoid. You also have the FSI petrol, which if I recall correctly from SLO's posts, isn't that great either. The 'standard' 1.6 (this will have around 105bhp to the FSI's 115bhp) is fine, I believe a n/a (non turbo) 1.4 was also available which is also fine so long as you are not overly fussed about performance.

In terms of its design, it is a good car, unfairly ignored next to the Golf (same with its successor, the Golf SV). Just be aware that the extra boot capacity over a normal Golf hatch has more to do with height rather than extra floor space

Carrying on re the Golf Plus, just had a look on Autotrader and there are no 'non-FSI' 1.6's. There are n/a 1.4's, 1.4TSI's, 1.6FSI's, 1.9TDI's and 2.0TDI's. Of those, the n/a is probably the best bettor budget, pain free, motoring (at a fairly sedate pace!).

I also looked up (petrol engined) Golf estates in budget, there are only two!. One of those is an auto (which I'd actually prefer), but the other looks pretty nice assuming you can live with metallic gold. If you are not too far from Peterborough, this would be worth a look (assuming a check of the MOT history didn't through up alarm bells);

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - catsdad

Nearly £2800 for a 20 year old Golf. The market is truly mad. I only got under £4K as a trade in price on my then 7 year old Civic in 2019. And we sold our immaculate 1999 Astra estate a couple of years earlier for £380. Changed days.

That aside this Golf looks OK and the reg no. is shown in one of the pictures and it’s fine. But I’d be looking at private sales at this end of the market.

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - Xileno

I see £1950 for the advertised Golf but still seems a bit stiff. If the mileage is genuine and no advisories on corrosion it might be not too bad on the assumption it would go for £1650.

Used MPV / Maybe small estate - catsdad

The cars on the link change. I guess it’s saved as a set of options so will bring up different cars as they are sold or added. Like you I now get another car, at a lower, but stiff price.

The cars on the link change. I guess it’s saved as a set of options so will bring up different cars as they are sold or added. Like you I now get another car, at a lower, but stiff price.

Yeah, I see that.

Not sure what is going on there, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I am copying the link?. When I post it, it is just a number, no mention of Autotrader. Didn't used to be the case, but I'm not aware of doing anything different.

Actually scratch that, just had a look on Autotrader again, and the Golf estate in question is no longer there, presumably sold.

Thanks

Isn't the golf 1.9tdi engine a good engine ?... is it not the same as the one in the touran I was talking about which goes on forever ?

cheers

Thanks

Isn't the golf 1.9tdi engine a good engine ?... is it not the same as the one in the touran I was talking about which goes on forever ?

cheers

It is a good engine, but it is still a 'diesel engine'. And it is also going to be an old engine now, with the youngest Golf 1.9TDI being 2008ish 5th gen.

We can't tell you what buy, that is up to you, but you won't find many recommending a diesel with such a small budget. So unless you really need a diesel due to the miles you cover, it would be better to avoid them.

Thanks

cheers

It was one of the best Diesel engines right up until they strangled it with a DPF it was never designed to take. But even the older PD versions that built this reputation are now old and most have done massive mileage and/or have been neglected. When shopping on a limited budget it pays to remember the three golden words… keep it simple. Avoid the added complexity of turbo diesels, complex automated manual gearboxes, four wheel drive, high performance turbocharged petrols etc etc etc and stick with the most basic straightforward petrol engined car you can find in the best condition you can afford. The Nissan Note my wife is using right now is a perfect example of this. I just sold it to my brother for £1750 and it is in near perfect condition. It’s immaculate and it runs without fault despite its 88,000 miles. It’s basic and mechanically simple, there’s little to go wrong beyond simple wear and tear and I’ve every confidence it’ll run for many years to come, something I couldn’t say about a similarly priced turbo diesel of any type.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/01/2022 at 18:50

The whole family had a chat today and I think you are right

We need to borrow more money and get a newer car with less mileage as a reliable everyday car.

So we are going to look for a hatchback first with a large lowish boot ( one that can let my daughters large breed dog sit up easily ) that does an average of ideally 45+ MPG and increase our budget to £4500.

Thanks again

The whole family had a chat today and I think you are right

We need to borrow more money and get a newer car with less mileage as a reliable everyday car.

So we are going to look for a hatchback first with a large lowish boot ( one that can let my daughters large breed dog sit up easily ) that does an average of ideally 45+ MPG and increase our budget to £4500.

Thanks again

With used car prices as they are, I don't think an extra £1k is going to make much difference with regards to what you are being advised to buy for the best chance of reliability. It is still going to be petrol all day long.

Thing is, from the late noughties onwards, diesel engines have had ever more troublesome (unless the type of usage dictates diesel) emissions equipment fitted. As these cars get older, they are going to be more prone to problems, very expensive ones!. With regards to 'younger' Diesel engines, one of the few SLO will recommend is the 1.6DTEC Honda unit as fitted to the Civic, CRV and HRV. But £4.5k is still about £1.5-2k short of what you'd need to pay for the cheapest of those (Civic) with reasonable miles.

Don't get me wrong, the extra money will give you more choices and get you into a younger car, but I still wouldn't be tempted into a £4.5k diesel unless I actually needed one.

You can borrow from high street banks from as little as 2.9% APR if you take £7500 or more. A 5yr loan of £7,500 at 2.9% costs roughly £134 a month and you’ll pay only £550 in interest over 5yrs. If you want a diesel Civic, or a nice Ford C-Max or similar you’ll need as a minimum around £8,000. If you’re still planning on spending under £5k then stick with a simple petrol engined hatchback.

It would make better sense to pay £550 in interest over those 5yrs than thousands on repairs with an older diesel MPV or estate.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/01/2022 at 22:14