What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Does lumber support matter? - movilogo

My car has electric lumber support adjustment and I took it for granted. However, I discovered that most cars don't have it except in expensive top trims.

Whether not having it will cause issue or not very difficult to judge in short test drives.

Did anyone change from lumber-support to no-lumber-support? If yes, what was your experience?

I understand body posture is very personal, but still willing to hear your feedback.

Does lumber support matter? - John F

Did anyone change from lumber-support to no-lumber-support?

All the time, depending upon which car we use. My Audi A8's 'comfort seats' are good examples of the best car seats available, with a lumbar support that goes up and down as well as in and out. But its absence in SWMBO's Peugeot 2008 is not missed, as we rarely use it for journeys longer than an hour. If we feel the need for one, we do what we do for our non-electric chairs at home by positioning an example of that excellent Mesopotamian invention, the 'Cushion'. As the human spine was never designed to be vertical it needs all the help and care it can get.

Does lumber support matter? - UCB
I suffer from back problems. The seats in my current car, a Skoda Octavia have manual lumbar support. I find the seat to be excellent and especially as they are heated which helps soothe when my back flares up. My car is an SEL model so perhaps the seats are better designed than lower spec models. They are certainly more comfortable and supportive than my previous Seat Leon which also had manual lumbar adjustment. . My wife’s Toyota Verso by contrast has no lumbar support and I suffer on longer journeys.
Does lumber support matter? - Engineer Andy

My car has electric lumber support adjustment and I took it for granted. However, I discovered that most cars don't have it except in expensive top trims.

Whether not having it will cause issue or not very difficult to judge in short test drives.

Did anyone change from lumber-support to no-lumber-support? If yes, what was your experience?

I understand body posture is very personal, but still willing to hear your feedback.

The (manual - via a 4-setting lever) driver's seat (only) lumbar support on my 16yo mid-spec Mazda3 is really helpful in keeping me from suffering from driving-related back problems, as is the reach and rake steering wheel adjustment. Since I got it, no driving-related back problems, including after 7+hr runs down to Cornwall on holiday.

My previous 90s Micra only had rake adjustment and no lumbar support, and I often had a sore back after a long journey. I also prefer (and will ONLY buy) cars with a proper left foot rest (whether the car is a mnaul or auto), which helps comfort for me at least.

Admitedly my bad back problems were made significantly worse in the 'old' car (my current one ain't exactly 'new' any more) because for the first 2 years I had the seat one notch (0.5 in) too far from the steering wheel, meaning I was stretching (or arms, legs fully extended) to reach the steering wheel and pedals.

Using a work colleague's seating ergonomics manual (Vauxhall Vectra) was a very useful guide to how to get the best out of your car with the level of adjustment it has. One thing I also learned was to get it to what you think is the best adjustment, leave it for a couple of week's usage, then make just one adjustment, then repeat.

If you make more than one adjustment at a time after the initial go, you don't really know which might've made the difference, or if both have or not, and how much each did. Also a good idea to have a good stretch before and after driving (and when on a mid-long drive break), as you'll be in near-to optimal physical shape (for you) when seated.

Unfortunately what works for one person - especially as regards the seat itself (never mind where the seat and steering wheel are moved to) - may not for another. It also can be the amount of bolster or how firm or soft it is, and related to the suspension (including tyres) / handling capabilities/ road comfort and how you drive the car. Those with firm rides and/or poor handling will likely exaggerate any issues in the seats or driving position. Offset driving positions will also have an impact.

It's why I spend far more time when looking at cars sitting in and making such seat/steering wheel adjustments when 'browsing' so that if I like it enough to go to the next level and get a test drive, I can get the most informative experience out of it (a long test drive on a variety of roads and speeds).

I also now only buy 'office' swivel chairs for my computer desk that have an adjustable seat back and decent lumbar support (I always try them out in person - I never buy online only). Always try out for such things, rather like sofas, beds (in paritcular) where poor and good ergonomics can make a huge difference to the quality of life, especially for those of us prone to bad backs.

Does lumber support matter? - Andrew-T

When I read the title I was wondering what might be asked about transporting loads of timber :-)

Does lumber support matter? - bathtub tom

I had a Nissan with a manual lumbar support adjustment, which I found useful on longer journeys, as I could change it to change my back position. The most comfortable seat I ever had was an Austin Maxi. It felt like you were sitting on a bar stool with that near horizontal wheel in front of you. Did hundreds of miles at a time in that, although I was younger then.

The most comfortable seat I ever had was an Austin Maxi. It felt like you were sitting on a bar stool with that near horizontal wheel in front of you. Did hundreds of miles at a time in that, although I was younger then.

The seats in a Pug 205 took some beating, especially those with side bolsters as in the GTi and related models. They had limited adjustments, but those didn't seem to be needed much.

When I read the title I was wondering what might be asked about transporting loads of timber :-)

Presumably blokes wearing checked brushed cotton shirts (or women's clothing) from Canada etc will be OK? Them and Michael Palin. :-)

Does lumber support matter? - Sparrow

Yes it matters to me. It doesn't need to be fancy, or be a high cost option (I'm talking here to Mr Jaguar who have zero lumber support on the XEs standard seats, but you can only have the optional lumber support if you first select the fancy electric seats). Without lumber support ny back aches within a few miles. My current 3 series has standard seats, but they do give decent support, non-adjustable, no issues driving long distances. Volvo V70 the same. It's not only expensive cars that can do it properly. Hyundai i10 seats are exemplary for example.

I know within a few miles if the support is OK. No point in buying if I am going to have backache after a drive.

Edited by Sparrow on 06/01/2022 at 19:34

Does lumber support matter? - badbusdriver

Never owned one, but the most comfortable car seats I ever sat in belonged to a SAAB 9000 CS Aero, absolutely phenomenal!.

I can't think of any vehicle I've owned who's seats were actually uncomfortable, at least as far as memory serves. That includes a wee Suzuki ST90 van (predecessor to the Supercarry/Rascal), its seats were very thin, but I drove it from Aberdeen to Wick then back again (with a weak in the Orkney Islands between) and I certainly don't remember being in pain because of it.

I remember the Daihatsu Sirion we had from 2008-2011 had very comfy seats, but this maybe only sticks in mind because you might not expect a car like that to have nice seats. Good over distance too, we went to Wigan a couple of times and Solihull once with it (from Aberdeenshire) with no complaints.

Does lumber support matter? - John F

Of arguably equal importance is the height of the seat. Ideally this should be the same height as your kneecap from the floor, as per an office chair. This is an impossibility within the height designs of most of today's cars, but attainable in PSVs and HGVs where a comfortable healthy posture is essential.

Does lumber support matter? - John Boy

Engineer Andy wrote: It's why I spend far more time when looking at cars sitting in and making such seat/steering wheel adjustments when 'browsing' so that if I like it enough to go to the next level and get a test drive, I can get the most informative experience out of it (a long test drive on a variety of roads and speeds).

From reading various posts of yours, EA, I get the impression you've test-driven lots of cars, yet you're still driving the 16-year old Mazda. It would be really interesting to see a list of them, with a brief summary of your opinion of each one. I'm thinking of a general opinion of them, not just the comfort or otherwise of the seats. Perhaps starting a separate topic would be better than adding to this one.

Of arguably equal importance is the height of the seat. Ideally this should be the same height as your kneecap from the floor, as per an office chair. This is an impossibility within the height designs of most of today's cars, but attainable in PSVs and HGVs where a comfortable healthy posture is essential.

Very good point. Seat height adjustment has often been missed - and is not available on my car. Fortunately I am reasonably average height - I got far more benefit from the reach adjustment on my car's steering wheel, as I have slightly shorter arms than the norm for someone of my height.

For shorter and taller than average people, having the full range of adjustment is I think essential to getting a comfortable seating position. It's why I never commit to buying a car without making 100% sure the driving position is right for me - an expensive mistake if not done.

What's a shame is how so many modern cars (last 10 years) have reduced previous ergonomics gains by making them pretty to look at inside and/or 'safer' on crash testing (reducing window sizes but at the expense of increasing blind spots and parking difficulty without using electronic driver aids).

Does lumber support matter? - bathtub tom
That includes a wee Suzuki ST90 van (predecessor to the Supercarry/Rascal), its seats were very thin, but I drove it from Aberdeen to Wick then back again (with a weak in the Orkney Islands between) and I certainly don't remember being in pain because of it.

I used to drive an HA Vauxhall van (bright yellow, think buzby) that had the hardest, thinnest cushioned seats I'd ever driven on. Diabolical, with an (alleged) 20BHP, but never caused me any back problems.

Does lumber support matter? - Will deBeast

>> Never owned one, but the most comfortable car seats I ever sat in belonged to a SAAB 9000 CS Aero, absolutely phenomenal!.

Strangely, the most uncomfortable seats I've ever had were in a Saab 9-5 Aero. I think I was simply the wrong shape for the seat.

I changed jobs soon after getting the car, and went to a bmw 330. I (the company) paid £2k extra as I recall for a seat upgrade. Can't remember the details, but the seats were superb.

Does lumber support matter? - movilogo

why I spend far more time when looking at cars sitting in and making such seat/steering wheel adjustments

This is a good idea. Once out for test drive on road, it is more difficult to concentrate on seat ergonomics. On a showroom one can pay full attention to seat ergonomics.

Few cars I felt so uncomfortable on showroom that I didn't even bother test driving.

Typically for me I discovered that if I feel painful in a car, it tends to appear after half an hour of driving at least. Ideally an hour of driving reveals all the issues. Typically pain starts when parts of the body is not resting properly and somewhat suspended (unknowingly) like lower thigh, spine, left foot not resting properly on foot rest etc.

Access to infotainment system is another issue. There is trend to lift that high up on the top of dashboards but I find it easier when it is just over climate control as it requires less hand movement.

Some manufacturers claim that touch screens are unsafe while driving and control knobs are better, but I think touch screens in all devices are now so common, I find it more intuitive - within reason. For example, I hated the Tesla touch screen. Even opening glove compartment requires pressing on menus!

<< Typically for me I discovered that if I feel painful in a car, it tends to appear after half an hour of driving at least. Ideally an hour of driving reveals all the issues. >>

Quite right. The only Pug I have owned with an uncomfortable seat was a low-mileage 206 Garros hatch. We took the car from Cheshire to Devon and then to Scotland - those trips were enough for me to swap it for a 306 Meridian. No problem after that.

Problem for seat designers is that people come in a wide range of sizes and proportions. My daughter has short legs so for her the length of the seat is critical.

Does lumber support matter? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Does lumber support matter? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Lumbar, perhaps, or do you mean firewood and fence posts?

Does lumber support matter? - thunderbird

The first of our cars where I used the adjustable lumbar was one of our Mk 2 Focus's. On a longish trip just after we bought it and after driving about 150 miles my back was bad, really bad, never happened before. Stopped at the next services and after a walk around felt fine and when I got back into the car I used the small lever to increase the support to the max. In the next 10 years I never touched the lever again and never had an issue again.

But it taught me to ensure cars have adjustable lumbar. That car would have barely lasted 10 weeks with us instead of the 10 years without the adjustment and no doubt have lost us a fortune. You might never use it but even if its an extra its still cheaper than having to sell the car.

Never had an issue with the Mk 1 Focus and as far as I am aware the lumbar (if fitted) was never touched.