What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car Prices up or down? - Warning

It is now 2022. Just wondering if that has had a revaluation of car prices.

Look at asking prices for a used 2017 cars are quite high and not so many great examples with high levels of wear and tear.

I am wondering if the tide has turned, where it is better to get a new car or one of those leasing schemes....

Car Prices up or down? - RT

It is now 2022. Just wondering if that has had a revaluation of car prices.

Look at asking prices for a used 2017 cars are quite high and not so many great examples with high levels of wear and tear.

I am wondering if the tide has turned, where it is better to get a new car or one of those leasing schemes....

Are there any signs that car prices are going down? I haven't seen any.

Car Prices up or down? - badbusdriver

Going by what I have read, while used car prices may drop a little, they won't go back to where they were.

Unfortunately, this may be 'the new normal'

:-(

Car Prices up or down? - mcb100
It’s a prediction based on guesswork, but I’d say that used prices won’t drop significantly until new car supplies improve.
Following the whole renewal cycle being out of kilter following Covid and microprocessor shortages, the entry into the market of part exchanges is diminished, causing a knock on effect all the way down the chain.
Car Prices up or down? - RT
It’s a prediction based on guesswork, but I’d say that used prices won’t drop significantly until new car supplies improve. Following the whole renewal cycle being out of kilter following Covid and microprocessor shortages, the entry into the market of part exchanges is diminished, causing a knock on effect all the way down the chain.

I think we've yet to see the effect of low mileage due to Covid lockdowns, some doing only nominal mileage for nearly two years so I reckon that many will keep their car for another couple of years instead of changing at 3 years old, thus inflaming the shortage caused by low new car sales.

Car Prices up or down? - Andrew-T

<< I reckon that many will keep their car for another couple of years instead of changing at 3 years old, thus inflaming the shortage caused by low new car sales. >>

Possibly - just possibly - some owners have decided that there is really little need to change cars that often, especially when fewer miles are being clocked up ?

Car Prices up or down? - FP

The figures quoted for my CX-5 on WBAC, Motorway and the like are as high as they have ever been - around £11,000, which on paper means minimal devaluation since I bought it in 2016.

However, I've no intention of selling in the foreseeable future.

Edited by FP on 05/01/2022 at 14:26

Car Prices up or down? - movilogo

Car prices are now following house price trend :-(

10% up and 1% down.

New-ish car prices are still very high!

Reasons I can think from top of my head

• chip shortage, fewer new cars being made
  • higher demand - people avoiding public transport
  • people moving out of London to countryside, need cars since no public transport
  • people saved up money because could not go on holiday - leading to car price inflation
  • manufacturers are turning every car into SUV, which costs more in the first place

Car Prices up or down? - mcb100
I’d also wager there a sizeable quantities of de-fleeted company cars sitting in storage and being fed into the system at a rate that doesn’t cause prices to fall too quickly.
Car Prices up or down? - Steveieb

And the news that a fire in a major chip factory won’t help matters

Car Prices up or down? - thunderbird

We bought the Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T in February 2018, nearly 4 years ago. The dealer was clearly not going to let us walk away without a car and we made sure he paid for his transparent need to have our money. The car should have cost about £19,000 including paint and service pack, we paid about £12,250. Other members on the Pulsar forum said we were mad since the car would be worthless when we came to sell it but that discount made it worth the risk. What Car estimated it would have lost 68% of its original value by its 3rd birthday, £6080, a dreadful loss on list but on the price we paid acceptable to us.

4 years on we are looking at changing (again) but its difficult since new cars are way more expensive now. The closest in terms of power, size, kit etc, is the Kia Ceed 1.6 GT and the best price I have seen on that is £23,000 (plus paint), virtually double what we paid 4 years ago.

Just had a look at on-line valuation sites and the PX for the Pulsar looks at being about £7500 but that is for one with 40,000 miles, ours has nearer 25,000. Retail is about £10.000 but again that is with 40,000 miles.

So in 4 years we would have lost £4500 if the valuation is correct, would be happy with that but the price to change would still be an eye watering £15.500.

Looked on Autotrader and there are no 1.6 DIG-T's on either a 2017 or 2018 plate. A 2018 1.2 DIG-T to the same spec/ but a few less miles is priced between £10,400 and £12,000.

Totally crazy.

Car Prices up or down? - Rerepo

High prices are pretty much entirely down to lack of new supply. Once production bounces back (new chip production comes on line) then supply will improve and prices will drop back. My son (a design engineer at a major car manufacturer) tells me that there is still overcapacity in Europe, but much of it idle at the moment. Moreover the Chinese have huge capacity nd have barely started exporting.

There is also clearly some manipulation of the market going on. I was recently asked to look over two Peugeots. Same model, same age (3 years) and at the same Peugeot dealer. Both low miles (I think one 20k and the other 25k). On checking them out (service and tax record) it was clear that both cars had been off the road and 'in trade' for just over a year. Obviously been sat in storage somewhere.

Car Prices up or down? - Big John

I'd say so re PCP etc

1. A few years ago PCP deals worked well as at the end there was some equity left helping the next purchase.
  2. Then used prices crashed meaning at PCP end it was better to hand the car back.
  3. Aren't we simply back to position 1)?

Edited by Big John on 05/01/2022 at 23:31

Car Prices up or down? - Terry W

A couple of years ago the average new car lost 20% of its value as you drove it out the showroom. Three years old and trade in would be 35-45% of original list price.

Today the typical 3 year old car is valued at 20-30% off original price making them seem expensive. New car prices have increased making the cost to change no better,

Personally if you need to change I would be inclined to lease. Selling a (say) three year old car will generate a decent amount of cash.

A lot is currently unclear. Covid, supply chain and chip disruption, which manufacturers will lead the way, the impact of the transition to EV etc. Make the wrong call now and you will be paying a premium price for a car which will depreciate rapidly.

Leasing removes the risk. In 2/3/4 years time any decision is far more likely to be based on rational data.

Leasing also is cheaper per month than PCP - there is no certainty that there will be any equity at the end of the PCP contract - so why pay the premium price to increase the risks.

The above is but an opinion and may not be right. But it does avoid risk and increases certainty.

Car Prices up or down? - groaver

Out of curiosity I "valued" my car online.

Apparently I have lost £4k in the last couple of months.

Car Prices up or down? - _

When I sold the I'll fated Stonic; cazoo valued it at£17075. but then didn't buy it as less than 3 months old.

I got £16750 from one of the other buyers but wbac were less.

I don't think the market will settle for a long time.

Car Prices up or down? - movilogo

Leasing also is cheaper per month than PCP

Leasing is like renting. Cheaper in the short run but more expensive in the long run. Just like renting a house you will forever pay rent while if you own the house you will save rent once mortgage paid off.

Now I understand unlike a house, a car is a depreciating asset. But still, owning a car is overall cheaper motoring than lease/PCP/rent etc.

Plus, there is a psychological satisfaction when the car is mine rather than someone else's

Car Prices up or down? - Terry W

I can understand the emotional argument. But whether there is any equity left in the car at the end of a PCP contract is a risk.

Legally you may own the car. To to keep it past the end of the contract term costs money

Car Prices up or down? - johncyprus

I always used to think that cars depreciated around 20% a year however the last 12 months have been extraordinary. Until supply problems are resolved prices may continue to increase until the factories start churning out the pre pandemic output which may be one to two years away. Unless a big manufacturer or two goes bust there should be excess capacity in the car factories and fingers crossed the increased supply of new vehicles will lead to lower prices for new and used cars.

My cars value has collapsed. WBAC valued my cherished 2001 Merc CLK320 FSH 117000 at £500 six months ago, today they’ve offered £160.

I think I’ll keep it.

Car Prices up or down? - Kekettykek

FWIW my 67 plate Golf GTI is down £2,000 since I last valued it in October according to Autotrader. So maybe things are easing a little.

Car Prices up or down? - daveyK_UK
Delays still remain, some manufacturers are slower than others.

Ford are struggling, still quoting November and December for some models,

Dacia is 4/5 months across the board as per the salesman’s quote to a friend ‘April is the earliest you can expect a Sandero, more likely May’.

Toyota lead times are the shortest around for most of the models they sell.