What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Informative car clips in YouTube - movilogo

Watched following YouTube clips today which I considered good analysis on cars

Find out why cheap cars are DEAD!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WYBR0tlPA8

Why The "30 Year Rule" of Classic Car Prices is Broken - FOREVER

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFfUneJKPaw

Informative car clips in YouTube - Engineer Andy

That first YT video was very good. Those observations about manufacturers and larger cars in particular were excellent.

I think the powers that be are doing this to push the plebs back onto public transport so that the well-heeled don't have to share the roads with them and thus have nice peaceful journeys - rather like they are now trying to do by stopping us plebs travel abroad with Pandemic resitrictions that will undoubtedly morph into (social) carbon limitations that only the rich can afford to pay extra to breach.

Even now I see so many young people, including neighbours of mine, shy away from car ownership as the cost (artificially) goes up and up.

Informative car clips in YouTube - Xileno

The inflation-adjusted Skoda at £8000 is the same as the Sandero but the latter is a far better car than those noisy rear engined things. There might be a gap left for the Chinese to fill?

The inflation-adjusted Skoda at £8000 is the same as the Sandero but the latter is a far better car than those noisy rear engined things. There might be a gap left for the Chinese to fill?

Perhaps, but I would rather we don't give them any more of our money.

Informative car clips in YouTube - edlithgow

I think the powers that be are doing this to push the plebs back onto public transport so that the well-heeled don't have to share the roads with them and thus have nice peaceful journeys - rather like they are now trying to do by stopping us plebs travel abroad with Pandemic resitrictions that will undoubtedly morph into (social) carbon limitations that only the rich can afford to pay extra to breach.

Pretty hard to avoid such conspiracy theorising when you consider how small the benefit to cost ratio must be on even some current mandated safety measures, like, say, electronic stability control, never mind the impending ones listed in the video.

Maybe not COVID countermeasure small, but still pretty small.

And yet trans fats are still legal.

Doesn't compute

Informative car clips in YouTube - Andrew-T

I think the powers that be are doing this to push the plebs back onto public transport so that the well-heeled don't have to share the roads with them and thus have nice peaceful journeys - .

The best antidote to elaborate conspiracy theories is Occam's Razor. There must be a simpler and more rational explanation, even if you believe that the theory might work ?

I think the powers that be are doing this to push the plebs back onto public transport so that the well-heeled don't have to share the roads with them and thus have nice peaceful journeys - .

The best antidote to elaborate conspiracy theories is Occam's Razor. There must be a simpler and more rational explanation, even if you believe that the theory might work ?

So what is it then if it's a simple, 'rational' explanation? I never said it was 'a conspiracy' - it's more like that one government gets a bad idea (or one that gives them and their financial supporterd more power) and others copy them under the pretence of 'saving the planet'.

Like with the Pandemic, the media have egged them on and done little research to back up their own mostly sensationalist / scaremongering articles, with each side pushing the other towards more stringent rules out of fear of being seen as 'behind the curve' whilst ignoring the obvious effects of rapid and significant changes on society.

There's not enough money within the pockets of the rich to furnish lavish subsidies fot most of us to buy and EV and home charger (not just the low numbers [in comparison to ICE] who buy them now), and if govenrments tried to do this, most of the ealthiest would just move themselves or their money abroad.

As the video from Carwow said, many manufacturers have ditched their micro and even supermini ICE cars for EV only, which are - even with government subsidies, vastly more expensive than their ICE equivalent and have a battery range that is often less than a third of the former.

Governments already borrow WAY too much money, and thus going that way to facilitate a rapid change to EVs and instituting 'safety measures'will be a waste of money and will further contribute to the decline of nations as they become yet more indebted. That an the positive effect in reducing serious injuries and deaths on the road will be far less than those measures taken 10-30 years ago precisely because of those previous measures/tech.

There's no way to have no injuries or deaths without completely autonymous vehciles, and as we've seen, that tech is not good enough and IMHO many deacades away from being perfected to be used across the board.

The problem is that we get people who are too risk averse combined with doing things for short term headlines to placate the media and (worse still) naive and gullible activists on social media and others who wish to manipulate them for their own personal (power) and financial (manufacurers of X 'green' tech, for example) gain. Or to placate their spouse...

Just because you call it a conspiracy theory doesn't mean it isn't a conspiracy.

One point in the second video which surprised and (provisionally) annoyed me;

He mentioned a cutoff date beyond which IC engines will actually be banned. Not no longer produced, but actually prohibited from use. Think it was 2050, IIRC

If that's true it seems a quite unnecessary coercion, since by then the number of IC cars willing and able to get fuel will be of negligable environmental impact, and will be limited to a few classics with well healed owners.

I suppose you could say it will prevent the rich flaunting a privilige, but that'd be pretty small minded, and anyway there will still be plenty of other priviliges they can flaunt

Informative car clips in YouTube - Bolt

He mentioned a cutoff date beyond which IC engines will actually be banned. Not no longer produced, but actually prohibited from use. Think it was 2050, IIRC

I understood that to mean fossil fuelled engines, there was talk of turning them into Hydrogen fuelled engines, which imo would make sense and keep them going as they will be clean for the atmosphere

Informative car clips in YouTube - movilogo

Another good analysis on car price

https://youtu.be/9ZlBNS4OmaI

I understood that to mean fossil fuelled engines, there was talk of turning them into Hydrogen fuelled engines, which imo would make sense and keep them going as they will be clean for the atmosphere

BIG modification, likely to be hugely expensive since hydrogen combustion engines will not be mainstream technology. Not necessarily clean either unless fitted with a catalyst to remove the nitrous oxide. Biofuel or synthetic liquid fuel a more practical option but evidently not expected to be legal.

Informative car clips in YouTube - Andrew-T

<< Not necessarily clean either unless fitted with a catalyst to remove the nitrous oxide. >>

Nitrous oxide ? Laughing gas ? Many young people are said to enjoy that. It won't be nitric oxide either, which is a free-radical trap and also said to be sexually stimulating I believe. NO2 is the one you are after, which is a by-product of diesel engines and is not very pleasant to inhale.

<< Not necessarily clean either unless fitted with a catalyst to remove the nitrous oxide. >>

Nitrous oxide ? Laughing gas ? Many young people are said to enjoy that. It won't be nitric oxide either, which is a free-radical trap and also said to be sexually stimulating I believe. NO2 is the one you are after, which is a by-product of diesel engines and is not very pleasant to inhale.

Next: junkies sniffing exhaust pipes? :-)

Informative car clips in YouTube - Bolt

BIG modification, likely to be hugely expensive since hydrogen combustion engines will not be mainstream technology. Not necessarily clean either unless fitted with a catalyst to remove the nitrous oxide. Biofuel or synthetic liquid fuel a more practical option but evidently not expected to be legal.

As I mentioned before they are being used on commercials on tests in Canada,I gather the first to be used on the road will be next year, as battery is not practical for an HGV, roughly 8 tonne of batteries per HGV means a loss in revenue weight which they are hoping to bring to cars later it was suggested but we`ll see...

Informative car clips in YouTube - focussed

Just because you call it a conspiracy theory doesn't mean it isn't a conspiracy.

Today's conspiracy theory is tomorrow's truth!