What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - Richard10012
I want an incar frost protection can you get one? I know you can one from the outside
Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - Xileno

You could make something, all you need is some polythene and some masking tape to hold it in place.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - badbusdriver

Why do you need to protect the inside of the car from frost?.

I've never had frost on the inside of my car or van!.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - _

Depends where the OP is...

If he has a parking space in front of his house, a small ceramic heater on mains power on a timer in the morning for 30 minutes will fo yhe jon.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - John F

We had a long narrow bar element toaster, about 500w per side. One side failed, so I converted it to a storage heater by inserting a spare rosemary tile instead of a piece of bread and disabling the 'pop-up'. Strapped it to the front of the driver's seat and fed a wire back through the boot to a socket via a time clock. Result: warm car, clear screen, heated steering wheel and some stored heat to the backs of thighs until the car warmed up.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - edlithgow

We had a long narrow bar element toaster, about 500w per side. One side failed, so I converted it to a storage heater by inserting a spare rosemary tile instead of a piece of bread and disabling the 'pop-up'. Strapped it to the front of the driver's seat and fed a wire back through the boot to a socket via a time clock. Result: warm car, clear screen, heated steering wheel and some stored heat to the backs of thighs until the car warmed up.

Neat

When I was sleeping in my Nissan Sunny while doing an MSc at Aberdeen University, I sometimes used a big pop bottle in a sock as a hot water bottle. (Yeh, I know. I'm a wimp. Even more so now).

Anyway, if I wanted to use the car the next day, say to go and get a greasy supermarket breakfast, I moved the bottle to the dash top while I went for a shower. The residual heat was enough to gently clear the windscreen inside and out.

Pop bottles won't take boiling water, so it was probably only about 70 degrees, but a lot of it, maybe 2L.

Not so high tech or ingenious as the repurposed toaster (Do you actually need the tile? Seems like it'd work faster without its heat sink?) but it doesn't require mains at the car, which of course I didn't have in Aberdeen University car park.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - Chris M

"Anyway, if I wanted to use the car the next day, say to go and get a greasy supermarket breakfast, I moved the bottle to the dash top while I went for a shower. The residual heat was enough to gently clear the windscreen inside and out."

Having spent the night in the car, I thought you were going to say you obtained a warm liquid from another source to fill your bottle :)

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - badbusdriver

Depends where the OP is...

If he has a parking space in front of his house, a small ceramic heater on mains power on a timer in the morning for 30 minutes will fo yhe jon.

Putting a heater of pretty much any kind (unless very powerful) in the car will result in heavy condensation (like an old house with single glazed windows), which would potentially cause more problems than it would solve.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - Bromptonaut

Lucky you!!

I've had days when my car's sat on the station car park in winter sunlight. Warms up inside so that water trampled in on shoes is driven out of the carpet and suspended inside the warm 'glasshouse'.

Sun sets and, under a clear sky, air temperature drops below freezing pdq.

Usual frost on outside plus condensation frozen on the inside.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - SLO76

Why do you need to protect the inside of the car from frost?.

Oh, to be able to say the same. I’ve rushed out the door late for work many a morning only to met by the ball of ice my car often is mid-winter. Fortunately Terrance the Toyota has a furnace like heater that seems to love eating ice quickly and Venus the Volvo has heated everything. I don’t see the C1 in question here taking more than a few minutes and a small amount of exertion with a scraper to be good to go.

Edited by SLO76 on 13/11/2021 at 08:39

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - RT

The C1/107/Aygo do have a tendency to leak around the rear brake light, rear light clusters and door seals - in cold weather this dampness condenses on the inside of the windows and then freezes. They do warm up quite quickly once started but sitting waiting to defrost is a pain for those late for work.

Citroen C1 - In car frost protection - mcb100
During winter I keep a 1kg bag of silica on the dashboard when the car is parked. It does absorb water and keep the ‘screen more clear of condensation and consequent frost. Available online from that large river in South America.