What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - movilogo

Typically hybrid cars have very small batteries. They can go very little distance (often less than 2 miles) on EV mode, if speed is typically less than 20 MPH.

On the flip side weight of battery + hybrid equipment is about carrying 2 extra passengers.

So is the hybrid worth it for such little EV output? Isn't an ICE only equivalent car lighter, cheaper, simpler and overall better proposition?

PHEVs are bit different. Those can travel a good distance on EV mode though they cost significantly higher than hybrids.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - RichT54

OK, a hybrid will only go a short distance in EV mode, but the point is that it will happen multiple times in a journey. Even on the motorway doing 70mph, when you get onto a level or down hill section and coast, it will often switch to EV mode. It does make a difference to the fuel economy. I did a short round trip of about 30 miles in my Jazz this morning, including a section of the M3 and the computer was showing over 70mpg by the time I got home.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - badbusdriver

With regards to self charging hybrids, how much benefit will depend on how you drive and the type of journeys you do. If you drive on the motorway for the most part, and regularly exceed the speed limit, any benefit would be minimal. Also, while they may not go very far on battery power alone, they will do that multiple times per journey, so it will build up and it does count. As for the weight, difficult to properly compare like for like because some cars are lighter or heavier than other cars in the same category. But, for an example, according to the figures in the reviews section of this website, the last of the previous shape Yaris, in hybrid Icon spec weighs only 25kg more than the n/a 1.5 CVT.

Sticking with the Yaris and going back to how it is driven, I've read owners reviews claiming 70mpg+ for the hybrid, where around 20mpg less seems to be the usual for the n/a 1.5. Taking that into account, and other owner reviews of hybrid cars, it does seem that the size of benefit can vary dramatically, with the highest benefit being achieved by folk who make a point in learning how to get the best out of a self charging hybrid system (which doesn't mean driving slow all the time)

PHEV's, if used for a short commute, and assuming you can charge at home, can result in phenomenal 'mpg' figures by way of the ICE never, or hardly, being used.

Ignoring the price differences, I'd be very happy to have a Yaris self charging hybrid. But including them?, much as they appeal, the price difference in combination with how little miles I cover (with the car) means it would probably take 20 years for the extra cost of the hybrid to be cancelled out by the better economy!.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - DavidGlos
I’ve got a Kuga PHEV as a company car. Averaging 1,000 miles a month and sitting at 125 mpg over 7 months / 7,000 miles since it arrived.

Above achieved charging overnight and at work, but with frequent journeys which exceed the 35-40 mile capacity of the battery. I’m pretty pleased with that.
Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - paul 1963

I've got a Suzuki Vitara hybrid, had it a month, while it's 48v system won't power the car on its own you can feel when the motor gives the engine a helping hand, quite a weird feeling at first feels like someone has just given you a push from behind.

Current average mpg is around 52 which for something with the aerodynamics of a brick is very respectable.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - RT

A hybrid gains efficiency by regeneration from braking and then using that energy to supplement the petrol/diesel engine during acceleration, thus reducing overall fuel consumption - any short-term usage in electric mode reduces pollution in congested urban environments where that reduction is most needed.

Mine also does it when coasting, you can get a graphic up on the display that shows when the battery is charging and when the motor is helping, apparently at car park speeds the fuel is cut off and the motor in effect drives the engine.

I've got a Suzuki Vitara hybrid, had it a month, while it's 48v system won't power the car on its own you can feel when the motor gives the engine a helping hand, quite a weird feeling at first feels like someone has just given you a push from behind.

Current average mpg is around 52 which for something with the aerodynamics of a brick is very respectable.

A wile back I watched a What Car video review of the Suzuki Ignis. In it mention was made of the 'real world fuel economy'. I have not looked into exactly what they mean by this, but I think it is a set route that test cars are taken which includes a variety of different types of road, speed and driving conditions. The reviewer said that when tested previously, the standard 2wd Ignis achieved 50.9 mpg, but the mild hybrid version managed 59.6mpg, which he went on to say was the most economical car they'd ever tested (at the time, Sept '19). For a system which won't actually power the car by itself, this is a hugely impressive result in comparison with the non hybrid car.

.....and the Ignis system is only 12v...very impressive.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - mcb100
Toyota ran an extended test on hybrids, in collaboration with the University of Rome, studying ‘EV’ time in real world city traffic. The results were that for 73.2% of the journey time they were zero emissions, which accounted for 62.5% of the distance.
If a driver uses the EV option, and exhausts the battery, the ICE will then have to work harder to recharge it. As ever with clever systems, the most efficient use is to leave it alone to make the decisions.
mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-prius-hybrid-excels-rome-z.../

Edited by mcb100 on 26/10/2021 at 14:47

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Terry W

There seem to be too many variables to come to a firm conclusion on economy benefits - nature of driving (city vs open road), driving style, speed etc.

Intuitively it seems that a lot of cost, complexity and some weight is added on even a mild hybrid. PHEV is entirely different where a limited 30-40 mile range may suffice for most people on most days, but eliminate range anxiety.

Making an estimate of mild hybrid vs ICE may reasonably run as follows:

• fuel cost for ICE at (say) 50mpg, £6 per gallon, 10k pa = £1200
  • saving using mild hybrid (say) 15% = £180pa
  • new price premium for mild hybrid (say) £3600
  • time taken to recover additional price through fuel savings - 20 years

We could refine these figures endlessly - but I suspect that reducing the payback perion to (say) 5 years is implausible, and (say) 10 years is unlikely.

It would not persuade me to change a buying decison.

Making an estimate of mild hybrid vs ICE may reasonably run as follows:

• fuel cost for ICE at (say) 50mpg, £6 per gallon, 10k pa = £1200
  • saving using mild hybrid (say) 15% = £180pa
  • new price premium for mild hybrid (say) £3600
  • time taken to recover additional price through fuel savings - 20 years

First, the price difference between a mild hybrid and ICE is nothing like £3600, its probably around a grand. Looking at the prices shown in the reviews section for the last of the previous shape Yaris (which was available as a hybrid and non hybrid), the difference between the hybrid and non hybrid (with CVT) is under £1300. That is a full hybrid, which will power the car itself, a mild hybrid won't.

Second, if you are looking at a mild hybrid, it is very unlikely you'd be able to buy that same car without a mild hybrid system so any price difference wouldn't be relevant. It is very much a baby step towards electrification which most manufacturers are now using, even in cheaper cars (to get their overall emissions down). taking Suzuki as an example (as they were mentioned earlier), the entire range is hybrid. You can't buy one which isn't a hybrid. The Ignis, Swift, Vitara and SX4 S-Cross are all mild hybrid. The Swace is full (self charging) hybrid and the Across is a PHEV.

Early 2022 brings the revamped S-Cross, which will feature a 1.5 litre ICE linked to a Toyota-esque self-charging hybrid system.

A very mild hybrid incapable of actually moving the car under elecric power alone is still a hybrid. If capable of moving the car at low speed in town for 2 or 3 miles there could be some clear benefit.

Pure mild hybrids seem more in common to start stop technology - a way for manufacturers to shout their green credentials and making a small difference to economy under test conditions.

Whether the small amount of energy recovered through braking justifies the additional weight and complexity must be debatable. They carry a low cost premium because (bluntly) they don't do very much!

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Sparrow

At least with mild hybrids, full hybrids, battery electric cars and ICE cars you have a pretty good idea what you'll get. The car does it's thing and gives you a certain level of emissions. The only exception is the plug-in hybrid. Plug-in hybrids emissions depends entirely on how much, or even whether, they are charged. They are capable of almost elecric car low emissions ir considerably worse than ICE cars solely dependent on how much they are charged. On that basis, why they get such low company car tax is beyond me.

Edited by Sparrow on 27/10/2021 at 11:19

time taken to recover additional price through fuel savings - 20 years

May be. But my concern is hybrid less on cost saving but more on maintenance. Except Toyota or Kia, nobody gives long warranty. So I'd be nervous buying any hybrid with only 3-yr warranty. More complex system, more things to go wrong, more money to fix.

Second, if you are looking at a mild hybrid, it is very unlikely you'd be able to buy that same car without a mild hybrid system so any price difference wouldn't be relevant.

Very true. For most such cars it is hybrid only or look elsewhere. Manufacturers don't give us any choice not to buy the ICE only. Usually the choice is between Hybrid or PHEV for same model.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Engineer Andy

Aussie motoring journo John Cadogan recent did a video on this subject, summed up by YMMV. It really depends on your driving pattern, where you drive and how long you intend to keep the car.

He also mentioned that it's nigh on impossible to get an accurate cradle-to grave carbon footprint on cars, especially as regards of all the mining, manufacture/assembly and disposal/recycling of parts, especially as it's difficult to check the mix of electricity production and fuel usage of every vehicle, piece of machinery and person responsible.

Note that many people have had serious difficulties owning hybrid vehciles who do low amounts of short-distance driving, because both the 'ICE' regular battery and the hybrid ones regularly go flat (especially the former) because there is little opportunity to charge them up, leading to vastly shorter lifespans.

As I often point out, those who advocate people buying EVs conveniently forget that many people in the aforementioned situation also are either not well off and/or live in homes (flats, terraced houses, etc) that fitting EV chargers is physically impossible, incredibly expensive or prohibitive due to high crime (vandalism) in their area.

In many cases, such cars are parked well away from the property and not in an 'allocated space', often on ordinary streets where there may not be a lamp-post that could take a charger - assuming one wasn't vandalised etc whilst unattended.

As such, for the moment at least, an ICE petrol car is still really the only viable option. Perhaps when EV and replacement battery pack prices come down significantly (noting that a large percentage of this groups will be buying cars in the [2021 prices] the under £5k price bracket (possibly under £2k) and where widespread, standardised and reliable fast-chargers are available can this large group be attracted away from ICE-only.

Standard hybrids and PHEVs are all well and good, but unless they are used as intended, all they are are under-powered, heavy cars dragging dead weight around with more and expensive components to go wrong and to replcae when they do.

To make best use of them, owners also need to keep them for a reasonable amount of time and do a significant amount of mileage - but mainly on roads which a conducive to their supposed green credentials - i.e. not longer trips and/or on motorways, but more urban driving.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - daveyK_UK
Not all hybrid systems are the same

I found the mild hybrid in a fiesta to have minimal impact where as the hybrid system in the Honda Jazz is very impressive; 80mpg on a run is easily achievable (highest I got was 99mpg but that was with a lot of motorway driving at 68/70mph).

I found the hybrid system in the Suzuki Swift to be slightly better then the fiesta, it was involved more where the Ford system appeared to be no more than a bolt on for emissions purposes.

Haven’t tried a new Toyota Yaris which like the Jazz only comes in a hybrid but the one person I know who owns one says it’s far more economical than the previous Yaris.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 27/10/2021 at 17:56

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Rerepo

A hybrid car has two entire powertrains. I feel that this is not a good use of resources. I would like to know the energy and material input to a hybrid and how it compares with a ICE car. There are some pretty rare and expensive material used in the electric drive systems.

Not all hybrid systems are the same I found the mild hybrid in a fiesta to have minimal impact where as the hybrid system in the Honda Jazz is very impressive; 80mpg on a run is easily achievable (highest I got was 99mpg but that was with a lot of motorway driving at 68/70mph). I found the hybrid system in the Suzuki Swift to be slightly better then the fiesta, it was involved more where the Ford system appeared to be no more than a bolt on for emissions purposes. Haven’t tried a new Toyota Yaris which like the Jazz only comes in a hybrid but the one person I know who owns one says it’s far more economical than the previous Yaris.

How did a mild hybrid achieve such a high mpg on a (long?) motorway run - the who point of them is that they are designed for urban use, because the batteries offer very small range on their own (mostly under 5 miles and only when driven gently), just for getting off the mark/overtaking where a quick power boost is needed or to power the electrics.

Once they've been depleted in such a fashion, they only get recharged when used for a decent amount of (regenerative) braking, which motorway driving (presumably not stop-start in heavy traffic) in not conducive to. A family member used to own a 2007 Civic with IMA and they did get better mpg, but not anywhere near 99mpg. Was yours the average or the max, which could've been on a downhill section?

I'm wondering if that Jazz was more than just a 'mild' hybrid? What's the eletcric motor only range on it and/or battery capacity? Sounds more like a PHEV capacity.

A mild hybrid, or self charging hybrid are constantly depleting and charging their batteries. Even with cruise control set at 70mph on the motorway, it’s either using a little ICE power to charge it, or it’s cutting the engine, even momentarily, to maintain speed on descents.
Try driving at a constant speed on anything other than a billiard table smooth, runway type road, your foot will be making constant adjustments to hold the speed steady - every time the cruise backs off the throttle, that’s energy going into the battery.
Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Hugh Watt

Succinctly and clearly explained, mcb. Unfortunately, it won't stop others continuing to think of the regenerative system as a dead weight that the ICE is lugging about...

Succinctly and clearly explained, mcb. Unfortunately, it won't stop others continuing to think of the regenerative system as a dead weight that the ICE is lugging about...

If that's the case, how exactly is that EXTRA fuel used the charge the hybrid battery up any different to using it to provide motive power? Either way, it ain't free energy to bump UP the mpg on such a run - in fact, quite the opposite, given in addition to the extra fuel being used at all, all the extra components used in the car for charging it and electric motive power is extra weight to carry around over a pure ICE car.

It's actually WORSE than the car not charging it and carry the hubrd battery as dead weight, because there are energy losses (to heat) by the ICE engine charging the hybrid battery, then it being used to power the electric motor.

Go look up the laws of thermodynamics. Hybrids are mainly used to reduce urban pollution via regenerative braking (something that doesn't happen anywhere near as much on motorway only driving) generating the electricity that significantly increases the mpg over a pure ICE car, where the energy in braking is just vented as waste heat.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - moward

Most on here will know that an ICE is not equally thermally efficient at all points in its rpm/load curves. They tend to have ’sweet spots’ where the brake specific fuel consumption will be at its lowest.

The advantage of a hybrid (I’m thinking Toyota specifically here) is that as the ICE is not directly connected to the wheels, its rpm is independent of the road speed. The ICE can be run at it's optimum config with some of the energy driving the vehicle, and the excess being bled back to the battery.

The hybrid set up is designed to extract as many joules as possible from a given quantity of fuel. The fact that the engine runs at higher load is inconsequential if it runs for a shorter period of time and creates more useful energy when it does so.

We have owned a CHR hybrid for about 8 months now. We’ve found that its long term fuel economy average is about 25% higher than the conventional ICE car it replaced, despite the CHR being heavier by some 250Kg (It was a Suzuki S-Cross in case anyone's wondering).

On some of the motorway trips I’ve undertaken in it, I have managed mid 60’s at a steady 70mph, I reckon slowing down a bit to 60mph that over 70mpg would be achievable. I would consider this to be perfectly adequate for something that’s ‘no good for motorways’.

Edited by moward on 29/10/2021 at 15:48

Most on here will know that an ICE is not equally thermally efficient at all points in its rpm/load curves. They tend to have ’sweet spots’ where the brake specific fuel consumption will be at its lowest.

The advantage of a hybrid (I’m thinking Toyota specifically here) is that as the ICE is not directly connected to the wheels, its rpm is independent of the road speed. The ICE can be run at it's optimum config with some of the energy driving the vehicle, and the excess being bled back to the battery.

The hybrid set up is designed to extract as many joules as possible from a given quantity of fuel. The fact that the engine runs at higher load is inconsequential if it runs for a shorter period of time and creates more useful energy when it does so.

We have owned a CHR hybrid for about 8 months now. We’ve found that its long term fuel economy average is about 25% higher than the conventional ICE car it replaced, despite the CHR being heavier by some 250Kg (It was a Suzuki S-Cross in case anyone's wondering).

On some of the motorway trips I’ve undertaken in it, I have managed mid 60’s at a steady 70mph, I reckon slowing down a bit to 60mph that over 70mpg would be achievable. I would consider this to be perfectly adequate for something that’s ‘no good for motorways’.

Most trip computers aren't that accurate on mpg. Besides, quoting what appears to be peak mpg may not give a true representation. My 15yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol can manage a peak of about 48mpg by the same method when I go on holiday down the M4/M5, which is not that far off the mid 50s my BIL's old Honda Civic (06) hybrid (1.3 IMA) achieved across similar trips, though my car was more spritely.

I think it often dependes upon how the driver drives the car as much as the engine and hybrid tech itself - I think that hybrids are designed to be driven gently, which means less overtaking, slower speeds generally and pulling away more gently too.

Note that in your case, the engine tech (and possibly the aerodynamics) of your previous car may well have been quite a bit inferior to that of your current one, so it may not be such a fair comparison. Many current day ICE petrol cars of that size can easily reach 50mpg on the motorway, and quite a bit more for diesels.

Was your Suzuki an automatic like the CH-R, and was it a 4x4? The older-tech (I think) TC auto in the former (like it would in my car) saps a lot more power (and thus fuel) than a DCT or CVT, as it would it (and by quite a bit) if it was a 4x4 version. Not meaning to imply anything, just that you might have overlooked some things in your comparison.

My own car's latest 'equivalent' (which is about 150kg heavier and a bit quicker) has a real mpg figure (I'm quoting the gen-3 car as it uses essentially the same SA-G engine with a bit of hybrid tech added for the gen-4) of about 45mpg, but I could likely get around the manufacturer's quoted average figure - possibly even higher (I can get 40-41mpg ave out my gen-1 car) because I'm a light-footed driver (the same happened with my old mid-90sMicra).

Perhaps you car is fine for 'steady Eddie' on the motorway, but even when I use them out of the school holiday season (and out of the rush hour), I rarely can stick at one speed for long due to traffic that you have keep overtaking to make progress. I've heard many people confirm this where they think that car's cruise control isn't as useful as they had hoped. I know quite a few people with hybrid cars that have been disappointed with the fuel effeciency if they drive (in their eyes) 'normally'.

Perhaps I should buy a proper hybrid, given my driving style? Anyone got £30k to spare? :-)

The mid 60’s I achieved was an average achieved over a roughly 200 mile trip on a scorching hot day with copious use of the air con, I’m sure I could have done better in more ordinary circumstances. I know the in dash displays can be somewhat inaccurate by a few % each way so I treat them as informative only.

Our Suzuki was manual, a 1.6 petrol SZ-T with FWD and the comparison I made is like for like. It averaged about 38mpg all in on a quite hilly commute, which I thought pretty decent to be honest. The CHR averages a little over 50 on the same route over the course of a tank. There’s no question it uses less fuel, my petrol receipts will back that up ;-)

We rarely do motorway journeys, so aerodynamics probably didn’t really come into play much when comparing the two, the CHR is probably a more aero friendly shape vs the boxy Suzuki but the fastest road on my Mrs commute is 40mph.

I know quite a few people with hybrid cars that have been disappointed with the fuel effeciency if they drive (in their eyes) 'normally'.

We drive pretty normally and find it fine but neither of us are aggressive drivers. As has been mentioned on this thread, taking advantage of the decelerative period is key to getting the max potential out of it. Anticipation and gently slowing down towards a red light gives the battery time to soak up as much energy as it can, (the rate at which the battery can accept charge is limited, brake too hard and the hydraulic brakes kick in and waste all that kinetic energy as heat).

Our reason for buying the hybrid was not motived by money, the fact that it does cost less to run is just icing on the cake. It was simply because we liked how it drove. Quiet and refined with a surprising amount of pep from standstill and no gears, clutches, jerks or stutters. It’s probably the smoothest driving car I’ve ever driven.

Lastly as an engineer, I take a great interest in the technical side of things and how they work (inner geek). IMO the Toyota HSD is a work of genius, an automatic transmission with very few moving parts and very little to wear out. The HSD is mechanically very simple, especially compared to more conventional autos such as a torque converter or DSG, and yet has the potential to return better efficiency than any of them. The clever (read complex) bit is in the control logic that oversees it. The video linked below by Prof. John Kelly of the Weber State University shows a teardown of one of these transmissions and a brief overview of how it works.

2016 - 2022 Prius, Prius Prime Transaxle - P610 Deep Dive (P710, P810 Similar) - YouTube

Perhaps I should buy a proper hybrid, given my driving style? Anyone got £30k to spare? :-)

I think you should try one, never know, you might even like it ;-P

On a final tongue in cheek note, for anyone that thinks a hybrid car is ‘complex’, it is nothing compared to a typical passenger aircraft. Most have no problem boarding these so they can’t be too put off by complexity :-P

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - bathtub tom
A mild hybrid, or self charging hybrid are constantly depleting and charging their batteries. Even with cruise control set at 70mph on the motorway, it’s either using a little ICE power to charge it, or it’s cutting the engine, even momentarily, to maintain speed on descents. Try driving at a constant speed on anything other than a billiard table smooth, runway type road, your foot will be making constant adjustments to hold the speed steady - every time the cruise backs off the throttle, that’s energy going into the battery.

But a hybrid consistently obtains much better economy than an ICE car. You can put a lot of this down to the Atkinson cycle Toyota use and I refuse to accept that regenerative braking contributes more than a microscopic addition. So how do they do it, when they're lugging all that extra weight?

You’re telling me that it’s mostly down to the Atkinson cycle engine, but then asking how it produces better economy.
Yes, the Atkinson ICE contributes, but check the figure I posted above - in tests, a Prius was tailpipe emission free - running on its battery, or coasting/regenerating for 62.5% of journey distance.
If you haven’t driven one, they usually have a display showing power flows between ICE, battery and wheels.
You’re telling me that it’s mostly down to the Atkinson cycle engine, but then asking how it produces better economy. Yes, the Atkinson ICE contributes, but check the figure I posted above - in tests, a Prius was tailpipe emission free - running on its battery, or coasting/regenerating for 62.5% of journey distance. If you haven’t driven one, they usually have a display showing power flows between ICE, battery and wheels.

What happens on the return journey when it went back up the hill? :-)

Bear in mind car companies and their 'academic' helpers have been known to tell fibs in the past.

Coasting is only possible on downhill sections, and regenning is only possible when braking, which means that journey would be downhill and/or likely urban.

I'd like to see a Prius with just an Atkinson cycle ICE engine with no hybrid system and compare it to the hybrid across a variety of different journey patterns.

‘Coasting is only possible on downhill sections, and regenning is only possible when braking, which means that journey would be downhill and/or likely urban.

I'd like to see a Prius with just an Atkinson cycle ICE engine with no hybrid system and compare it to the hybrid across a variety of different journey patterns.’

Coasting happens very frequently, even on ‘level’ roads. Every undulation reduces the load on an engine, and during that brief period of time a hybrid will, momentarily, regen the battery. Just because the speedo and rev counter are pointing at the same part of their scales, it doesn’t mean the engine/motor is under the same load. It’s constantly fluctuating, and the control unit will quickly decide the most economic mode.
As mentioned elsewhere, regeneration takes place whenever the car isn’t being powered, and is in no way dependent on the brakes being applied. Regeneration can be increased by lightly pressing the brake, and hydraulic braking takes over after a certain requested rate of deceleration.
An Atkinson engine, running solo, wouldn’t be a pleasant thing to drive without using it to support the electrical propulsion motor(s). They produce efficiency at the expense of power density, so would be pretty slow and noisy. That’s why no one uses them like this.
‘Coasting is only possible on downhill sections, and regenning is only possible when braking, which means that journey would be downhill and/or likely urban. I'd like to see a Prius with just an Atkinson cycle ICE engine with no hybrid system and compare it to the hybrid across a variety of different journey patterns.’ Coasting happens very frequently, even on ‘level’ roads. Every undulation reduces the load on an engine, and during that brief period of time a hybrid will, momentarily, regen the battery. Just because the speedo and rev counter are pointing at the same part of their scales, it doesn’t mean the engine/motor is under the same load. It’s constantly fluctuating, and the control unit will quickly decide the most economic mode. As mentioned elsewhere, regeneration takes place whenever the car isn’t being powered, and is in no way dependent on the brakes being applied. Regeneration can be increased by lightly pressing the brake, and hydraulic braking takes over after a certain requested rate of deceleration. An Atkinson engine, running solo, wouldn’t be a pleasant thing to drive without using it to support the electrical propulsion motor(s). They produce efficiency at the expense of power density, so would be pretty slow and noisy. That’s why no one uses them like this.

Doesn't/didn't one of the BMW i-somethings (i8?) use a high-efficiency petrol engine (a range-extender, perhaps?) to only charge the EV-part battery, which itself was the only motive power to the wheels?

To me, that sounds like a far better system, because it would involve a much smaller, lighter petrol (or diesel) engine. Perhaps it was used this system because it produced the most torque for outright performance (load-lugging could be another task, as used on diesel-electric trains for decades).

A very mild hybrid incapable of actually moving the car under elecric power alone is still a hybrid. If capable of moving the car at low speed in town for 2 or 3 miles there could be some clear benefit.

Pure mild hybrids seem more in common to start stop technology - a way for manufacturers to shout their green credentials and making a small difference to economy under test conditions.

Whether the small amount of energy recovered through braking justifies the additional weight and complexity must be debatable. They carry a low cost premium because (bluntly) they don't do very much!

Hmm,

Adding a mild hybrid system takes the average mpg of an otherwise identical Suzuki Ignis from 50.9 to 59.6mpg, representing a 17% improvement in efficiency (under identical testing conditions).

Paul 1963's Suzuki Vitara mild hybrid is averaging 52mpg. Coincidentally, that is an improvement in efficiency of around 17.5% over what John F is getting from his Peugeot 2008 (non hybrid, mild or otherwise), a similar size and type of car.

Not bad for something you claim doesn't do very much...............

At least with mild hybrids, full hybrids, battery electric cars and ICE cars you have a pretty good idea what you'll get. The car does it's thing and gives you a certain level of emissions. The only exception is the plug-in hybrid. Plug-in hybrids emissions depends entirely on how much, or even whether, they are charged. They are capable of almost elecric car low emissions ir considerably worse than ICE cars solely dependent on how much they are charged. On that basis, why they get such low company car tax is beyond me.

You seem to be under the impression that a plug in hybrid only charges if it is plugged in. Not so, a PHEV can also charge itself in the same way as a self charge hybrid does.

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/10/2021 at 18:12

Nicely put BBD, not sure Terry fully understands? need to add whilst Johns pug is a 1.2 the Vitara is a 1.4 ( both turbo of course)

Nicely put BBD, not sure Terry fully understands? need to add whilst Johns pug is a 1.2 the Vitara is a 1.4 ( both turbo of course)

Yes, clearly there could be plenty more to the difference than simply a mild hybrid system, not least the presence of the t/c auto in John F's 2008. But I did find it interesting that the difference was pretty much the same as that between Ignis and Ignis mild hybrid!.

As it happens, thanks to the (Suzuki) power outputs mysteriously reducing with the addition of the mild hybrid system (1.2 Dualjet down from 89-83bhp, 1.4 Boosterjet down from 138-129bhp) the power of your Vitara is as near as dammit the same as John F's car (130bhp).

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - pd

The Toyota system is well proven and familiar and certainly works brilliantly around town.

Forget all that start/stop rubbish - for heavy traffic town driving the hybrids work very well and the engine can be off a lot of the time.

If you are hacking up and down motorways at 85mph all day they are not such a good idea.

The other thing is hybrids allow the ICE to run on the Atkinson cycle which makes a difference.

I'm less convinced about "mild" hybrids which is most cases add little and seem something of a marketing effort to string a few more years out of an existing drivetrain design.

Edited by pd on 28/10/2021 at 13:58

But a hybrid consistently obtains much better economy than an ICE car. You can put a lot of this down to the Atkinson cycle Toyota use and I refuse to accept that regenerative braking contributes more than a microscopic addition. So how do they do it, when they're lugging all that extra weight?

First, a self charge hybrid doesn't have that big a battery, so "all that weight" doesn't actually add up to very much. The figures in the review for the Toyota Auris in this website say that the 1.8 hybrid is only 40kg heavier than the 1.2t CVT(*). Second, within reason, extra weight is going to have virtually no effect at cruising speed, only accelerating.

Regenerative braking is one of the main ways in which a self charge hybrid charges, but how much that amounts to will depend on how often you brake. If you brake a lot, it will contribute a lot, if you don't it won't.

(*) Earlier in the thread, using the same source (this website) I posted that the difference between hybrid and non hybrid (CVT) on the previous shape Yaris is only 25kg.

If we’re being spectacularly pedantic, it should be regenerative deceleration as there is no link betwixt the brakes and the battery.
By braking, a driver is shortening the number of wheel revolutions after stepping off the accelerator, therefore cutting the amount of regeneration that can take place.
By anticipating early, and coasting for greater distance without braking, the more effective the regeneration will be.
There will be some degree of increasing the regeneration via the brake pedal, but it’s sometimes difficult to distinguish between the enhanced regeneration slowing the car and the hydraulic brakes coming into play, which will mean wasted energy in the form of heat.

Edited by mcb100 on 28/10/2021 at 20:35

Regenerative braking is one of the main ways in which a self charge hybrid charges, but how much that amounts to will depend on how often you brake. If you brake a lot, it will contribute a lot, if you don't it won't.

Also, some hybrids, such as my Jazz, have a 'B' option on the transmission lever which is like 'D' or Drive, but gives you increased regenerative braking, even when you don't have your foot on the brake pedal, so it acts a bit like engine braking on a conventional ICE car.

This can rapidly charge the HV battery on even a fairly modest hill. In fact today I was on the 6th floor of a multi-storey car park. I put the drive in 'B' and by the time I got to street level, the battery had gone from about 25% to 75% charged.

If we’re being spectacularly pedantic, it should be regenerative deceleration as there is no link betwixt the brakes and the battery.

Fair do's!

;-)

have a 'B' option on the transmission

Many people haven't got a clue what it is for and hence never used.

Another of my peeve with hybrids that except some expensive models, they don't have the manual gear shift option (with +/-) - either as flappy pedals or on shifter as S mode.

This drives away some people who consider hybrids (which mostly have CVTs) as boring to drive.

Not sure of anyone else’s hybrid systems, but the Toyota system doesn’t have a CVT. Not a belt or chain in sight.
It uses one petrol engine, two motor/generators and a very clever power split device to send power to the wheels from either just ICE, just a motor, or a combination of both. Granted, it sounds like it has a CVT, but look as hard as you like and you won’t find a gearbox.
Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - misar
Not sure of anyone else’s hybrid systems, but the Toyota system doesn’t have a CVT. Not a belt or chain in sight. It uses one petrol engine, two motor/generators and a very clever power split device to send power to the wheels from either just ICE, just a motor, or a combination of both. Granted, it sounds like it has a CVT, but look as hard as you like and you won’t find a gearbox.

Nevertheless, Toyota describes HSD-equipped vehicles as having an e-CVT (electronic continuously variable transmission) and HSD does require a mechanical planetary gear set in the transaxle.

have a 'B' option on the transmission

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many people haven't got a clue what it is for and hence never used.

Only if they choose not to. Granted, if they received the car new during the stages of the pandemic where car dealerships were only open up to a point, the handover would have consisted of receiving the key and being told to get in touch with any questions. Otherwise they would be told about any such control, though they may have chosen not to have listened(!).

Another of my peeve with hybrids that except some expensive models, they don't have the manual gear shift option (with +/-) - either as flappy pedals or on shifter as S mode.

That isn't really the case, whether or not they have a manual shift option will depend on the type of transmission. Toyota/Lexus hybrids use epicyclic transmission which don't. All Hyundai or Kia hybrids use a DCT gearbox and hence can be shifted manually like any other DCT.

This drives away some people who consider hybrids (which mostly have CVTs) as boring to drive.

I don't agree with this at all. The vast majority of people who buy cars with two pedals put in drive when they go anywhere and leave it there till they either stop or need to go backwards, regardless of whether hybrid or otherwise.

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/10/2021 at 18:15

‘Nevertheless, Toyota describes HSD-equipped vehicles as having an e-CVT (electronic continuously variable transmission) and HSD does require a mechanical planetary gear set in the transaxle.’
Absolutely.
The ICE is also commonly described as Atkinson Cycle, which it isn’t. Atkinson’s design had a set of linkages that altered the stroke between compression and expansion strokes. Toyota’s ICE mimics this by clever valve timing.

Doesn't/didn't one of the BMW i-somethings (i8?) use a high-efficiency petrol engine (a range-extender, perhaps?) to only charge the EV-part battery, which itself was the only motive power to the wheels?

The i8 was a fairly conventional hybrid mechanically, with a 1.5 litre 3 cyl turbo mated to two electric motors.

The i3 was available with a range extender option, which was a 650cc 2 cyl BMW motorbike engine. This only charged the battery, but with the diddy little tank full, would give the car another 70ish miles of range. It was discontinued after a bigger battery was offered from around 2018.

There is a danger of confusing a number of different issues to arrive at a nonsense comclusion.

Regenerative braking can save ~50% of energy. In theory - accelerate and immediately apply the brakes. Energy recovered = 50% x (energy used to accelerate - that used to counter aerodynamic drag).

On motorways where gradients are slight, any regenerative braking will slow the vehicle requiring earlier reapplication of power. ICE will coast at a higher spreed. So no benefit from regeneration - possibly a loss from extra weight carried.

Town driving will provide a benefit but this depends on driving style and circumstances. Lots of braking wiill provide lots of regeneration - anticipation and limited braking provides much less benefit.

Braking can either be by application of the brake pedal, or through retardation applied as the throttle is lifted - depends on system settings.

Second issue is type of engine. Atkinson cycle has thermal efficiency advantages over petrol or diesel, although torque and power is lower for a given displacement. Driving characteristics of Atkinson cycle alone (I understand) are less attractive.

Thus there is only a benefit if a hybrid is fitted with Atkinson cycle - if standard ICE there can be no benefit.

Thus there is only a benefit if a hybrid is fitted with Atkinson cycle - if standard ICE there can be no benefit.

Can't really agree, there is kinetic energy that can be recovered, regardless of the cycle type used by the ICE. Atkinson cycle engines are used for their higher thermal efficiency whilst the electric motor can back fill their apparent lack of torque at low rpm.

I don't' see any reason why an Otto cycle engine couldn't work with a hybrid type set up, it just wouldn't have the same efficiency potential as an Atkinson one.

Most of the efficiency gains with a hybrid seem to come from using Atkinson cycle.

Other gains from regenerative braking depend far more on the balance of driving style, town/motorway driving, terrain etc. Could be material (10-20%?) or trivial.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - PeterRed

Regarding the Atkinson Cycle, I've got a 2016 Jazz CVT (non-Hybrid) which uses that cycle below about 2500 rpm (I think). I can confirm that the engine is very lethargic with low torque at low RPMs. It's very economical though.

Cor!! this is all getting complicated, all I know is that my Hybrid Vitara gives substantially better mpg and more 'omph' than my previous Mokka, both had/have a 1.4 turbo, so it's a good thing in my simple mind.

Edit: The other thing I've just remembered is that while the Mokka spent almost of its time with me running on E5 the Suzuki is running purely on E10, in the Vauxhall E10 noticeably effected fuel consumption.

Edited by paul 1963 on 31/10/2021 at 07:18

Cor!! this is all getting complicated, all I know is that my Hybrid Vitara gives substantially better mpg and more 'omph' than my previous Mokka, both had/have a 1.4 turbo, so it's a good thing in my simple mind.

Edit: The other thing I've just remembered is that while the Mokka spent almost of its time with me running on E5 the Suzuki is running purely on E10, in the Vauxhall E10 noticeably effected fuel consumption.

As far as I can remember, that 1.4T engine from Vauxhall has never been known for its fuel efficiency.

It's noticeable that those makes that changed from naturally aspirated engines to small capacity turbocharged ones far later on as a (IMHO) desperate measure to be in the 'TSI' club for 'low' emissions have found their cars aren't anywhere near as efficient or green as the early adpoters.

Perhaps that showed that some may didn't do enough R&D and made 'cheap knock-offs' rather than properly designed engines.

Do the hybrid cars have normal batteries along with hybrid batteries or just hybrid batteries?

If hybrid battery only, then what happens when battery is flat?

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Energyman
My Hybrid Kona has both. If the 12 volt battery goes flat there is a battery reset button on dash, I am told press that and hybrid battery will recharge the other battery … I will wait to see if it works one day.
Just a point about the hybrid set up, the power addition leads to a very smooth and quick start from standstill and acceleration is good and very even continuous power.
In a very unscientific test over the last month mpg has been around 58mpg. Stop start slow traffic economy rises. Put your destination in the sat nav and as the car knows the route it reacts accordingly and mpg rises. If adaptive cruise control is also selected mpg rose again. Overall very pleased with it

Do the hybrid cars have normal batteries along with hybrid batteries or just hybrid batteries?

If hybrid battery only, then what happens when battery is flat?

Hybrids have a small 12V battery as well as the high voltage battery. The 12V battery powers the vehicle auxiliary systems, including the engine control unit, so it needs to have a charge in order to be able to start the ICE. On my Jazz the 12V battery is charged from the high voltage battery.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Mike H

I'm coming in a bit late on this discussion, but just thought I'd recount my experiences with our Honda CR-V AWD Hybrid, which we've now had for just over two years.

The CR-V has a 2 litre Atkinson cycle engine, plus a transmission which Honda call i-MMD (interactive multi mode drive). I don't believe it's a CVT, but I think Honda have recentl started referring to it as such. However it works, it's a very smooth drive, with no gearchanges, so you essentially just get a smooth build up of speed. It has a sport setting which with the instant torque from the electric motor gives it a good turn of speed from low down - I occasionally put it in sport just for fun :-)

It obviously has regenerative braking, but also flappy paddle paddles to increase or decrease regeneration, unlike the Jazz which has the B setting on the gearchange - I also believe the latest Jazz has an artificially induced changing of gear sensation.

Overall brim to brim MPG over 2 years, running virtually exclusively on E5, is 42mpg, with a best of 47mpg. It drops in the winter, but my theory is that the ICE runs more in the winter to provide heat to the passenger cabin. So respectable economy for a heavy 2-litre petrol SUV IMHO. We live in Austria and have done a couple of long distance motorway runs to the UK, and cruising between 130-160kph the fuel consumption dropped to a tad under 40mpg. Some of the time it was running on E10. The AWD version carries more weight around than the 2WD, so I'd expect the latter to be more economical.

On the motorway, it cruises well, although at higher speeds it picks up speed a little more slowly. It never really sounds frantic.

All in all, I accept we'll never recoup our outlay on choosing a hybrid over a normal ICE. The only other option when we bought ours was a 1.5 turbo, but we'd have wanted the auto anyway, so that slightly offset the price difference. We bought it for what we believe are better green credentials. There's too much emphasis on costs when comparisons are made between the two, but it's not always all about money is it?

To summarise, we love the car - it's relaxing to drive, and is probably as good as we'll get in terms of economy for a good-sized automatic SUV with a petrol engine. And being a Honda, we've had no glitches or problems to date.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - sammy1

""" There's too much emphasis on costs when comparisons are made between the two, but it's not always all about money is it?""

No. I cannot think that most people able to afford a modern hybrid are too worried about the running costs.

All the talk about mpg on hybrids a lot forget that modern ICE cars are very efficient. A BMW 3litre auto, before they went hybrid, if driven sensible can easily achieve 40mpg on a run. I think they were the first with brake regeneration. You also get a decent size car.

Comparing a new hybrid hatch with a 4-6 year old BMW (40-100k) on the clock on the basis of its mpg if driven with restraint on a run is complete nonsense.

Around town expect between 20-30mpg. Nice car, potential money pit.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - sammy1

Comparing a new hybrid hatch with a 4-6 year old BMW (40-100k) on the clock on the basis of its mpg if driven with restraint on a run is complete nonsense.

Around town expect between 20-30mpg. Nice car, potential money pit.

Yes it probably is nonsense but at least everybody understands the way it works and not all the acronyms associated with the new hybrids which I suspect few people know or care what they are driving,

As far as a potential money pit is concerned I suspect hybrids will be a bit of a nightmare to owners and potential second hand owners when out of warranty. I think I would rather go straight to an EV given the choice. It is the future and not a stop gap that hybrids are

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - madf

Latest Jazz hybrid reported on Owners Club Forum.

clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=12364.0;topicse...n

Edited by madf on 02/11/2021 at 06:17

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - London calling

Looking at this report hybrid cars are the most reliable

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/08/are-hybrid-cars-reliable/

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Mike H

No. I cannot think that most people able to afford a modern hybrid are too worried about the running costs.

All the talk about mpg on hybrids a lot forget that modern ICE cars are very efficient. A BMW 3litre auto, before they went hybrid, if driven sensible can easily achieve 40mpg on a run. I think they were the first with brake regeneration. You also get a decent size car.

We're pensioners who bought on a PCP, not the landed gentry you seem to think ;-)

And I happen to think that our CR-V is a "decent size car", it is certainly roomy in every sense.

I agree that modern ICE cars are efficiont, but also complex. With a simple n/a ICE such as we have in our Hybrid, there isn't much to go wrong. I think you'll find that the 500,000 mile Prius that are around are pretty reliable as well.

We shall certainly look at buying ours at the end of the term.

Hybrids - best or worst of both worlds? - Andrew-T

This discussion can take in various side-issues without reaching any clear conclusions. But, reduced to basic essentials, any vehicle is a box on wheels with one or more means of propulsion. Propelling it requires energy which will depend mainly on physical factors such as weight, rolling and wind resistance, and other well-known variables which have little to do with how it is propelled.

The energy needed to propel can come from fuel carried on board (ICE) or stored in a large heavy battery charged by some external means. Claiming 70 or 80+ mpg is thus rather an illusion, as the calculated gallons represent only part of the energy actually used.

Using two forms of propulsion is 'inefficient' in the sense that it adds to the weight of the vehicle, and one or other motor is idle at any moment. The chief benefit is that some of the generated emissions appear at a place where fewer people are affected by them. The downside is that the hybrid car will be heavier, thus needing more energy to travel.

Using two forms of propulsion is 'inefficient' in the sense that it adds to the weight of the vehicle, and one or other motor is idle at any moment. The chief benefit is that some of the generated emissions appear at a place where fewer people are affected by them. The downside is that the hybrid car will be heavier, thus needing more energy to travel.

But as I went over earlier, because the battery in a self charging hybrid isn't that big, the weight penalty isn't that big. Just compare the weights of the previous shape Yaris and Auris (these can be easily compared as both were available as hybrid and non hybrid), the difference in kerbweight between hybrid and non hybrid (auto) is minimal.

Another example though is the current Jazz. The figures I can find (they are not listed on this website) say the kerbweight is 1228-1246kg. The figure listed on this website for a Kia Rio 1.0t DCT?, 1228kg.

Plug in hybrids are a different kettle of fish, especially as manufacturers are pushing the electric only range up past 50 miles, the battery needs to be pretty big and correspondingly heavy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I happen to think that our CR-V is a "decent size car", it is certainly roomy in every sense.

Also, a BMW 3 litre auto is an engine/gearbox combo, not a 'size of car'.

A 135 for example, is hopelessly cramped for rear seat passengers. And that is despite having the same footprint as a Golf or Focus.