What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia to avoid useless features - Trilogy.

If only more would follow their example. Perhaps Toyota could launch Daihatsu as their budget brand.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/dacia-keep-car...s

Dacia to avoid useless features - groaver

Does this mean swmbos aren't allowed anywhere near their cars? :-"

Dacia to avoid useless features - SLO76
“ A five-star Euro NCAP rating means lots of electronics, radars, cameras on the car – things that our customers didn’t ask for and are not ready to use. Five-star cars are so complicated sometimes that people do not understand how to use the device and the functionality, so we are confident and happy with what we have.”

Couldn’t agree more. As Dacia are proving, there’s a big market out there for less complex and better value cars and vans. A budget Japanese brand under Toyota, Mazda or Honda would sell in big numbers.

To me NCAP with their new focus on electronic driver aids is increasingly becoming irrelevant. A 5 star car could be less safe in an actual impact than a 2 star car using their current grading system.
Dacia to avoid useless features - RichT54

I noticed a few days ago that Ford and Volvo were introducing lower spec versions of some models that didn't include all the usual safety features:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-manufacturing/chip-shortage-ford-volvo-exclude-safety-features-new-cars

The reason given was that it was due to the semiconductor shortage. However, it could be that sales of these versions may take off due to people just wanting simpler vehicles. Perhaps that may encourage the manufacturers to provide these simpler versions in future?

Dacia to avoid useless features - tanvir

Dacia could do very well out of this situation, if people don't want to wait ages for a car - and are insistent on a brand new model.

Dacia to avoid useless features - Terry W

Agree with Dacia strategy.

What I would like to understand is whether NCAP have objective quantifiable data to support the contention that complex electronic devices reduce accidents and injury, or are NCAP (as suggested above) simply becoming an irrelevancy.

Dacia to avoid useless features - John Boy

Groaver said "Does this mean swmbos aren't allowed anywhere near their cars? :-"

Dacia have allowed their Product Manager near them. She's a woman.

Dacia to avoid useless features - Galad

I've switched off the lane keeping assist on my Hyundai i30 as it regularly fails to recognise the lanes on the motorway and pulls the steering to the left/right, which is very annoying. I've also turned off the speed alarm as it drives me (and SWMBO) bonkers with its constant beeping (I've been driving nearly 50 years without a speeding or parking fine).

The front parking sensors have be activiated manually (when parking) as does the auto brake hold at the start of every journey (whichnmakes absolutely no sense at all). The electronic parking brake, on occasions, either doesn't automatically engage or release which can be scary.The blindspot overtaking alarm (in the door mirrors) is too sensitive and picks up a car 50 yards behind me. The auto wipers, on occasions, activate when there's no rain at all or fail to operate when it's raining! All very distracting.

For all of the above reasons, SWMBO refuses to drive my car and prefers her 13 year old Toyota Yaris.

Dacia to avoid useless features - John Boy

Thanks, Galad, for a perfect explanation of why Dacia have the right approach.

Dacia to avoid useless features - movilogo

Sensible move by Dacia. They always followed no-nonsense strategy.

If this proves popular with consumers, then other manfuacturers will be forced to adopt this strategy as well - which is good for market.

Dacia to avoid useless features - Andrew-T

It's good to see this kind of sane 'backlash'. For too long car makers have been wooing new buyers with yet another almost useless, usually electronic, expensive gizmo. I suppose it's a bit like farmers keeping their 30-year-old basic LRs running because it's all they need.

Dacia to avoid useless features - Manatee

I've a 2017 MX-5. The model was updated late 2018, the new model weighs 50Kg more and has adaptive headlights, lane-keeping, stop start, and i-ELOOP which uses a high output alternator and a large capacitor to make electricity on the overrun and store it to run the electrical accessories.

Do I want one? I do not.

I've a 2017 MX-5. The model was updated late 2018, the new model weighs 50Kg more and has adaptive headlights, lane-keeping, stop start, and i-ELOOP which uses a high output alternator and a large capacitor to make electricity on the overrun and store it to run the electrical accessories.

Do I want one? I do not.

Well I've got one.

You can really feel that 50 kg in the corners.

Dacia to avoid useless features - Manatee

I've a 2017 MX-5...

Well I've got one.

I doubt if I could feel it, but maybe that's your point!

I hope you aren't offended - I think my 1.5 I have is a great car and I somehow like the idea that it is almost identical in weight, size and performance to a Mk1 1.8, despite having a fair amount of extra gubbins even pre-2018.

I've a 2017 MX-5...

Well I've got one.

I doubt if I could feel it, but maybe that's your point!

I hope you aren't offended - I think my 1.5 I have is a great car and I somehow like the idea that it is almost identical in weight, size and performance to a Mk1 1.8, despite having a fair amount of extra gubbins even pre-2018.

Offended? Not at all. The 1.5 is the car Mazda intended the MX-5 to be.

Weight is so important. Colin Chapman knew that way back when most forum members on here were middle aged... ;-)

Dacia to avoid useless features - JonestHon

I absolutely agree with the notion.

I see the mid 00's to around 2010 as the golden years where there was a good balance between necessary and unnecessary.

My 2007 Lexus IS250 SE is a good example, there are plenty of toys but all are fairly basic and robust, the car was created without a fast aging Infotaiment system but it does have electric seats with heating and cooling, auto headlights and a good stereo.

I wouldn't want anything else to distract me from driving tbh.

Dacia to avoid useless features - edlithgow

Don't believe it.

I daresay they'll avoid some useless features, but my useless feature is probably joe punters essential feature, and they aren't allowed to avoid things like TPMS because they are a legal requirement.

Because I buy old cars, the only useless feature I've personally suffered from so far, are "automatically adjusted" drum brakes, a Royal PITA.

If they bring back manually adjusted drum brakes I suppose I'll have to buy one.

Dacia to avoid useless features - Xileno

"automatically adjusted" drum brakes, a Royal PITA."

I liked the old VW ones where you inserted a screwdriver through the backplate to turn the adjuster. Too simple and effective maybe, hence why it was dropped?

Dacia to avoid useless features - Bolt

"automatically adjusted" drum brakes, a Royal PITA."

I liked the old VW ones where you inserted a screwdriver through the backplate to turn the adjuster. Too simple and effective maybe, hence why it was dropped?

That on some cars was a pain, though some auto adjusts were worse as they had to be stripped cleaned and refitted which a lot of mechanics of the day didn`t want to do, so took drum off and adjusted manually which still took time but bonus wasn`t as badly affected.lol

Memory fades, but I think the pre-auto cars (Marina 1800, Triumph 1300, and Lada 1200 Mk1) had a nut backed by an eccentric cam giving precise adjustment while spinning the wheel, but you needed to have access to a spanner.

IIRC they didn't lock in place, which could have been a problem, but wasn't.

The first auto I dealt with, on a Renault 5 Campus, was a thing of beauty made of exotic phosphor bronze alloys. Think Faberge clock. A friend who knows about such things opined that it probably cost more than the rest of the back hub assembly. And it absolutely refused to work, par for the course.

This is actually better than the damn things working, because then you have to try and defeat them by lock picking through a hobbits letterbox in the back of the hub before you can get the drum off.

The ceaseless vigilance of the Mary Whitehouse Module prevents me fully expressing my feelings on this topic, so I'll shut up.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/09/2021 at 01:41

Dacia to avoid useless features - Bolt

Memory fades, but I think the pre-auto cars (Marina 1800, Triumph 1300, and Lada 1200 Mk1) had a nut backed by an eccentric cam giving precise adjustment while spinning the wheel, but you needed to have access to a spanner.

The first auto I dealt with, on a Renault 5 Campus, was a thing of beauty made of exotic phosphor bronze alloys. Think Faberge clock. A friend who knows about such things opined that it probably cost more than the rest of the back hub assembly. And it absolutely refused to work, par for the course.

This is actually better than the damn things working, because then you have to try and defeat them by lock picking through a hobbits letterbox in the back of the hub before you can get the drum off.

The ceaseless vigilance of the Mary Whitehouse Module prevents me fully expressing my feelings on this topic, so I'll shut up.

If you mean this type they were a pain unless nearly new as they siezed up and people used to round off the end so you had to tap around drum to gradually remove it, what fun

MORRIS MARINA, ITAL REAR WHEEL BRAKE ADJUSTER 37H6134 | eBay

If you mean this type they were a pain unless nearly new as they siezed up and people used to round off the end so you had to tap around drum to gradually remove it, what fun

MORRIS MARINA, ITAL REAR WHEEL BRAKE ADJUSTER 37H6134 | eBay

Dunno. Don't remember that, and if it had given me any significant grief I probably would.

OTOH I had to remove a drum yesterday with automatic adjusters. No tapping around drum gradually involved. Hitting it with a BFH quite FH for quite a long time, OTOH, was.

Come to think ont, that might be another reason why my brake shoe liners keep coming off. A whole new reason to hate automatic adjusters.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/09/2021 at 16:00

Dacia to avoid useless features - Lrac

But have they sneaked a 3cyl blown DI engine with potential timing chain issues under the bonnet?

Dacia to avoid useless features - _

Just a question on the thought of 3 cylinder engines,

Who has got them right?

GM and SAIC seem to have a broadly similar engine in the MG and corsa, corsa now using th PSA 3 cyl.

Ford any better, or Renault?

I don't read much about VW tsi 3 cyl problems, so have they got it right.

And finally, is it wise to have those 1.o litre3 pots in Bigger Heavier cars?

Dacia to avoid useless features - Andrew-T

Just a question on the thought of 3 cylinder engines, Who has got them right?

Suzuki used them over 30 years back. But that was before almost every engine relied on a turbo for acceleration - the only way a 1-litre engine can shift a 1½-ton car.

Dacia to avoid useless features - badbusdriver

Just a question on the thought of 3 cylinder engines, Who has got them right?

There is nothing fundamentally wrong with 3 cyl engines.

The problems with the Ecoboost are due to cutting corners with the engineering, nothing to do with the amount of cylinders. Same for the Puretech, and I'd bet its the same for the 0.9 Renault engine.

Presumably, the reason the VAG TSI 3 cyl engines seem to be reliable is due to them having learned their lessons with the timing chain problems of early 4 cyl TSI's. Again, nothing to do with the cylinder count.

If you look at the facelift version of the previous shape Sandero, going from the old (n/a) 1.2 4 cyl to a (n/a) 1.0 3 cyl might seem like a backward step, but look at the figures in more detail and you find the 1.0 offers more from less. 73bhp per litre rather than 65bhp per litre, and 97NM of torque per litre rather than 93NM per litre. Plus, the peak torque of the 1.0 arrives at 3500rpm rather than 4250rpm.

Suzuki used them over 30 years back.

Japanese manufacturers (including Suzuki) were using 3 cyl engines in small cars way before then!

Dacia to avoid useless features - Xileno

I think the first was was the MK1 Daihatsu Charade in the late 1970s. They've certainly had long enough to perfect the design.

Not sure how this 3-cylinder thing is supposed to relate to the topic.

Is the 3-cylinder engine supposed to be the "useless feature" (mine is OK, though NA) or is it the fourth cylinder (which I'd have to say is not essential, but nice to have)?

Dacia to avoid useless features - Lrac

Is the 3-cylinder engine supposed to be the "useless feature" (mine is OK, though NA) or is it the fourth cylinder (which I'd have to say is not essential, but nice to have)?

Yep. Ford eco boost, Puretech ( although more for cam belt reasons) to name just 2 There are plenty of reliable unblown indirect injection 3 cylinder toyota engines driving around so its not down to cylinder numbers. Shame they didn't drop in a something like a 1.5 Toyota engine. I am sure if you only plan to keep this car for a few years it will probably be fine but you must surely be aware of DI issues with carbon deposits. Have a look on here at the previous engine issues mentioned with regard to Dacia engines that are the views expressed by others. Shame because I would be more than happy with such a car if it had what I consider to be a durable engine.

i hope you can prove me wrong in the future. Good luck

Yep. Ford eco boost, Puretech ( although more for cam belt reasons) to name just 2 There are plenty of reliable unblown indirect injection 3 cylinder toyota engines driving around so its not down to cylinder numbers. Shame they didn't drop in a something like a 1.5 Toyota engine. I am sure if you only plan to keep this car for a few years it will probably be fine but you must surely be aware of DI issues with carbon deposits. Have a look on here at the previous engine issues mentioned with regard to Dacia engines that are the views expressed by others. Shame because I would be more than happy with such a car if it had what I consider to be a durable engine.

i hope you can prove me wrong in the future. Good luck

Some misunderstanding. I don't have a Dacia. I have a 1986 Daihatsu Skywing (Mostly like a G11 Charade) which has a 3 cyl NA engine, carburetted fueling and contact breaker ignition) which I've had for about 8 years. Relatively deficient in useless features, apart from having automatically adjusted drum brakes.

Dacia to avoid useless features - RT

I think the first was was the MK1 Daihatsu Charade in the late 1970s. They've certainly had long enough to perfect the design.

DKW were using 3-cylinder engines from 1953, these were the basis for the Saab 3-cylinder units from 1956.

Dacia to avoid useless features - SLO76
I had the pleasure of sitting in a new Sandero today. A lass at work turned up with a new 1.0 TCe Comfort and I have to say that I was impressed. The price tag at around £13k is no longer the bargain it was but it’s a much nicer wee car to sit in than the first gen. I’d still favour a used Mazda 2 for that money though, it’ll still be running sweetly when the Dacia is falling to pieces but at £10k (ish) the lower spec 1.0 TCe Essential does make a great deal of sense new. It's comfortable and a decent size, the non-turbo 1.0 below that I’d expect to struggle too much with just 67bhp.