What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
spare wheels with tyres - concrete

Hello Chaps.

Been away for a long break. Back now and also managed to buy a lovely low mileage Hyundai i20 1.2 petrol. A nice late 2018 example and we are very happy with it. Unfortunately it came with an inflator kit and I am not a fan of those. There is room for a full size spare wheel with tyre. Any of you chaps ever bought spare wheels etc and from whom? Any suggestions and recommendations would be welcome. Forgot to say during my break I moved back to North Yorkshire so if I need to collect it then a 25 mile radius of Stokesley would be fine. There is one on Ebay for a Hyundai Getz with same wheel size and tyre profile but is it interchangeable with an i20? I know someone out there will probably have been through this previously.

Cheers Concrete

spare wheels with tyres - _

www.thewheelshop.co.uk/

Have used personally and fully recommend.

ORB

spare wheels with tyres - Gerry Sanderson

Hi Concrete welcome back to Gods own country.

I hate the idea of no spare wheel only inflate packs. Last two nissans I bought

didn't have one so I went on line to car salvager and purchased one , wheel and tyre 6mm tread complete, from a near new crash model delivered dirext to my door.

dvd

spare wheels with tyres - Engineer Andy

www.thewheelshop.co.uk/

Have used personally and fully recommend.

ORB

Seems to have 2 possible matching wheel+tyre combos (15in and 16in), both with or without tool kit. Hopefully Concrete will have the owners' handbook which should say which size it can take, and if not, their local main dealership should know.

I would check first before buying, as I just checked for the latest two versions of the Mazda3 and, whilst the tyre/wheel maybe ok, it needs a special foam insert (at least on the gen-3 car, maybe similar on the latest gen-4 car) to fit it snuggly in the area under the main boot floor.

Not sure what it is for Hyundais/KIAs - I do recall though that some, at least i30s sold Down Under (may be the previous version) did come with either full size spares or at least the space to fit them.

Some modern cars, such as the gen-3 and possible (not confirmed) 4 of the Mazda3, only have space (height-wise) to fit the spare wheel and tyre (tube of goo as standard) if the normal boot floor is raised up a bit (reducing useful boot space somewhat), otherwise the boot floor would have a 'hump' in it in the middle.

spare wheels with tyres - Bromptonaut

Was there no opportunity no finesse the deal to include up grading the goo to a spare? I got that with my subsequently written off Roomster.

In the dim/distant 20+ years ago after buying a Pug 205 with what was, for some reason, an odd sized spare I had to get a wheel. Peugeot dealer sold me the steel wheel (as were the other 4, it was only an XD) and I then had a fast fit outfit supply and fit a tyre.

spare wheels with tyres - badbusdriver

There is one on Ebay for a Hyundai Getz with same wheel size and tyre profile but is it interchangeable with an i20? I know someone out there will probably have been through this previously.

Short answer is yes, long(er) answer below!

The specs of the i20 wheel fitment is as follows;

PCD 4 x 100, centre bore 54.1, offset 46( if 2015-2018) or 47 (if 2018 on)

For the Getz;

PCD 4 x 100, centre bore 54.1, offset 46.

(the tiny difference to the offset of the later car, if that is what yours is, will make no difference)

Was there no opportunity no finesse the deal to include up grading the goo to a spare? I got that with my subsequently written off Roomster.

In the dim/distant 20+ years ago after buying a Pug 205 with what was, for some reason, an odd sized spare I had to get a wheel. Peugeot dealer sold me the steel wheel (as were the other 4, it was only an XD) and I then had a fast fit outfit supply and fit a tyre.

Not sure if your comment was directed at me or Concrete, but in terms of what I was relaying, my gen-1 Mazda3 (same with the gen-2, perhaps sans certain top spec models with ICE [CD changer?] in the space) has a space-saver spare wheel and tyre fitted in the underboot area as standard.

The gen-3 does have a space for a space-saver, but the area is not just a circle, it's an odd-shaped cutout and isn't deep enough to accommodate the space saver tyre/wheel that Mazda says to use - hence why the boot 'floor' has to be raised or it has a 'hump' where the tyre is. Mazda does sell the polystyrene cut out, wheel, tyre and tool kit (to go in the centre) but it costs a whopping £395 on the gen-3 car.

It could be the same is the case for the latest gen-4 car - I can't remember. It's a daft situation, given the newer cars are a bit (not much) larger, so you'd think there would be room for the space-saver spare, etc. Mazda dealers (at least in non-pandemic times) might sweeten a deal by adding one for free, but peobably on new cars.

I suspect the same is for most makes in terms of when buying, but not the space issue. I'd certainly push a dealer to include an OEM space-saver spare in any deal if it didn't have one fitted, and I would only buy a car that has a spare and the boot (physical) space isn't compromised to the extent that it can't be used to put the required holiday stuff in there.

spare wheels with tyres - Bromptonaut

@Engineer Andy

Not aimed at anybody; just a contribution.

@Engineer Andy

Not aimed at anybody; just a contribution.

No problem - I answered as if you were directing your comments to me in case you were. I just wasn't sure if you were.