What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - JMARKT

I currently own a 2004 Petrol Suzuki Ignis, 54k miles on the clock. I have a friend who is selling a 2011 Diesel Nissan Juke, 70k miles on the clock.

I'm tempted to make the switch only because I know the cars history, and obviously its a more modern car. However am I just swapping one low mileage car for another more modern low mileage car. Will my Suzuki last just as long as the Juke in terms of lifetime anyway?

I'm on the fence, any advice?

Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - elekie&a/c doctor
The Nissan may be more modern, but the Suzuki will be far more reliable. I’d stick with what you’ve got .
Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - badbusdriver

The Juke isn't actually that great a car. They are not that reliable, poor ride, not particularly spacious for its size either in the cabin or the boot. That 1.5 Renault engine is pretty strong, but TBH, I would give it a miss. It may be 7 years younger than your Suzuki, but it's still a 10 year old example of a car which was never that good in the first place.

Your Suzuki is a basic, hardy machine which, as long as you keep top of servicing, maintenance, and nip any sign of rust in the bug, will keep going indefinitely.

Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - Andrew-T

The Juke isn't actually that great a car. They are not that reliable, poor ride, not particularly spacious for its size either in the cabin or the boot.

Plus, they look ridiculous - a cross (hybrid?) between Joke and Puke, IMHO .... :-)

Edited by Andrew-T on 29/07/2021 at 18:30

Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - Engineer Andy

The Juke isn't actually that great a car. They are not that reliable, poor ride, not particularly spacious for its size either in the cabin or the boot.

Plus, they look ridiculous - a cross (hybrid?) between Joke and Puke, IMHO .... :-)

Indeed - I never saw their appeal, especially when the motoring press always labelled the car as a 'style' car - though mainly for women. I'd have thought that they would have better taste. You always saw loads of 1-2 yo examples going for peanuts on forecourts and (up until the pandemic) especially on Motorpoint.

I suspect many gullible buyers soon parted with their car after finding out what owning one was really like.

Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - SLO76
You’re more likely to have engine and electrical problems with the Juke and if you don’t do regular longer runs you’ll suffer DPF problems too. If the Suzuki is solid underneath, keep it and save your money for a petrol engined replacement later on preferably of Japanese design rather than French as with the Juke.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/07/2021 at 09:38

Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - badbusdriver

Plus, they look ridiculous - a cross between Joke and Puke, IMHO ....

I didn't mention the looks because, A, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and B, both the OP and his friend clearly find its looks acceptable, otherwise one wouldn't be considering it and the other wouldn't have bought it!.

Not my cup of tea either though. I do recall when the Juke first came out, a motoring magazine (Car I think) described it as, "looks like a Suzuki Swift which had gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson"!

Nissan Juke, Suzuki Ignis - 2011 Nissan Juke > 2004 Suzuki Ignis ? - JMARKT

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I have a 8min journey to work and back and then perhaps the odd hour drive to places on the weekend, so it would be mostly short journeys. I average about 3k miles a year in it.

The Suzuki is basically the work-horse for my commute, skip runs, throwing the bikes in for a ride somewhere. One we don't mind getting roughed up.

Anything long haul, holidays and such we use my wife's 2013 Diesel Hyundai IX20.

To be honest what has been said was kind of what I was leaning towards, but I just wanted a second opinion. Although I do kind of like the look of a Juke.

Thanks