What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - Matt94

Hi all,

I am currently driving an Alfa Romeo Giulietta and am looking for something more reliable as I have had quite a few problems with it

I wasn't really looking at them, but a Mercedes C200 executive edition is within budget (2018 plate) and the quality of the interior is starting to sway me away from the Seat Leon Fr 1.8 that I was previously considering

Problem is i've done some research online and it seems there are a lot of issues with these models and Mercedes in general so it would be good to get some advice from anyone who has owned/currently owns one and can let me know if the reviews are accurate or if the bad ones are just more prominent online

Thank you

Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - sammy1

Mercedes are yet another massed produced car and you pay your money and take your chance if out of warranty. You have answered your own question with your research.

Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - barney100

I'm on my 5th, 2x C 220s, 1x Clk 320, 1x SLK 220d and my present E class 220. Now you hear much about Mercedes main dealer costs and that's right, horrendous, but if you have a decent Indie then they are no worse than many other makes. Two samples, roof mechanism on CLK, dealer £1000, indie £100. Door lever on E Class, dealer £1200 for the part, indie £62. Buying from a main dealer gives you a good warranty but watch out for the Starguard bit, state clearly if you don't want it

Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - Alby Back
I've had a few Mercs, on and off over the years. They have all been pretty robust, but the last two have been exemplary.

Both E Class models, the first one was a 2011 car which did 200,000 trouble free miles over 5 years and the second one, which I still have, is a 2016 model that has now done 150,000 miles without so much as needing a light bulb changing.

I'd imagine it would be expensive to fix if anything ever does go wrong, but so far it just hasn't.

Maybe they are not all like that of course, I wouldn't know, that but my experience, for what it's worth, has been very positive and I'd have another in a heartbeat.

In fact though, I'll probably keep the one I have a good while longer, it still looks and drives like new.

Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - brum

My thoughts, applies to any make/model.

2018 plate is likely to be ex PCP/lease/contract hire. If it is not being sold through an official dealer with an "approved warranty", I.e. they are grade A trade ins, I would question why.

They will all had minimal servicing, one service at most. Sold through an independent is likely because the dealer network rejected it.

Maybe I'm wrong, willing to listen to counter arguments, unwilling to go against my gut feelings.

Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - Rerepo

A large proportion of 2~4 year old MB and BMW will be ex-lease or PCP. The contracts can have quite low mileage limits and so there is a roaring trade in 'mileage correction' and 'mileage blockers'. It can be very difficult to ascertain the genuine mileage.

Mercedes C200 se executive - Mercedes reliability - badbusdriver

TBH, I wouldn't go with the Merc myself, too much question marks over its reliability. And while i like the Leon well enough, I'm not sure I'd get an FR due to the overly stiff suspension.

You have not said what kind of budget you are working on, but a look at prices for the Merc suggests circa £15k. And a subsequent look on Autotrader shows that I could get a Lexus IS300H of around 2017/2018 for that kind of money. So if you are liking the thought of a sporty executive saloon rather than a hot (ish) hatch (and assuming you could live with that face!) that's where I'd put my money.