What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Advice/recommendations for a second car. - Harley Turner

Hello,

The time has come to look at buying a second car. I've had my eye on an Octavia vRS however the one I liked has sold and I'm struggling to find one to the same spec and colour that I like.

I'm looking for a sports hatch / coupe within the price range of about 8-12k, reliability aswell as performance are equally as important although I understand both generally dont go hand in hand. General use would be commuting to work and day to day driving, I only really cover between 6-8k miles a year so a petrol will be most suitable.

Does anyone have any recommendations to a similar alternative or be able to atleast give me some ideas to look at?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Advice/recommendations for a second car. - SLO76
Depends what’s on sale nearby but I’d certainly shortlist the following.

Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 petrol manual
VW Golf GTi petrol manual
Ford Focus ST petrol manual

Having driven all three I personally favour the Focus which is the most entertaining drive. It uses a Mazda designed chain driven motor with a good reputation and parts are relatively cheap plus fast Fords tend to hold their money well as they age if they’re kept standard and you maintain a full Ford main dealer history.
Advice/recommendations for a second car. - Harley Turner

Thank you for your response, I'll keep these on the shortlist and have a look around my local area for these cars.