What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Take me back - SLO76
I hate all the unnecessary electronic gubbins that are fitted to even the smallest of cars these days. Bluetooth this, hands free that, twenty ECU’s, numb electric steering and hugely complex automated manual gearbox all with an almost certain gargantuan bill for repair at the other end. My wife’s Volvo is full of complex electronics that fill me with fear and are never used by me if I can avoid it. Even turning on the A/C requires much eyes off road distraction. I long for simpler times.

If I could buy a modern version of this. Decent crash safety I’d like so it would be a bit bigger and yes it would have ABS and I’d like a hydraulic steering to retain some feel, I don’t care that it’ll do 0.5mpg less. I don’t need traction or stability control, I can actually drive. I want airbags and a strong shell and maybe central locking but that’s it! I want big buttons and simple controls. I want a straightforward engine and running gear that anyone can fix rather than a monstrosity that’s a write-off if it coughs. It would need fuel injection for reliability and it would need a bit more power for the weight but no more than adequate is needed for road use. What’s the point of 200bhp plus on the crowded roads we drive to work and back? Bar room bragging rights aren’t required here.

Someone build me a modern Sierra, or just buy this one for me.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1232117

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 11:15

Take me back - nellyjak

I'm with you there, SLO...simplicity is one of the great losses in life.

Doesn't seem that long ago when many would have been drooling at the thought of owning a Sierra like that.!

Edited by nellyjak on 22/06/2021 at 11:17

Take me back - SLO76
My wife loves gadgets but I can’t be bothered with it all. I’m a bit James May when it comes to cars, I like simple transport. Everything you need and nothing more.

My old Toyota is probably as simple as family sized transport gets today but even that has a pointless and expensive to repair electric parking brake and sensors aplenty to potentially go wrong. The electric steering also has no feel at all. It has to date been trouble free but I’d rather it was more like its earlier relative the Carina.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 11:32

Take me back - Alby Back
I had a couple of Sierras back when they were new. Lovely things to drive. Rusted fairly quickly though, as I suppose many cars did back then.
Take me back - pd

Bluetooth: Sorry, but this should be mandatory on cars. Anything which reduces hand held phone use must be a good thing. Wouldn't have a car without it.

Also ESP. Ever since I had a demo of what I did about 20 years ago I have been a convert. Put simply it is cleverer and a better driver when you are taken unawares than anyone on this forum. The crash statistics when it came in backed it up. It is integrated with ABS systems anyway so an add-on.

Take me back - SLO76
“ Bluetooth: Sorry, but this should be mandatory on cars. Anything which reduces hand held phone use must be a good thing. Wouldn't have a car without it.”

Never used it or a handheld phone while driving. If someone really wants to get hold of me they know to keep ringing and I’ll stop and answer it, otherwise there’s no call important enough to allow yourself to be distracted while driving, hands free or not. I choose not to take calls at all. I regularly see people engaged in screaming matches down the hands free phone while driving, it’s distracting and since the only person likely to call me is my wife this is very likely.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 12:54

Take me back - SLO76
“ Also ESP. Ever since I had a demo of what I did about 20 years ago I have been a convert. Put simply it is cleverer and a better driver when you are taken unawares than anyone on this forum. The crash statistics when it came in backed it up. It is integrated with ABS systems anyway so an add-on.”

While I do partly agree, I’ve never had an incident where this has saved me because I drive within the limitations of the road and conditions. The roads are however safer with it being mandatory since a big percentage of the population don’t use such good judgement nor do they know what to do in the event of a loss of grip so I’d probably have it too despite the potential for costly woe at a later date.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 12:03

Take me back - edlithgow

Bluetooth: Sorry, but this should be mandatory on cars. Anything which reduces hand held phone use must be a good thing. Wouldn't have a car without it.

My teeth are yellow

Despite this, I manage to reduce hand held phone use by not using the b***** thing while I'm driving (except sometimes for Google Maps)

Take me back - SLO76
I had a couple of Sierras back when they were new. Lovely things to drive. Rusted fairly quickly though, as I suppose many cars did back then.

Yeah, a bit of galvanised steel would’ve arrested that but Ford didn’t want you keeping them forever. Later examples were a bit better but the doors always went a bit flappy at the bottom.
Take me back - Terry W

There is no need to play with all the toys once driving. I have a mid range modern hatch. Automatic. Lights come on when it gets dark. Wipers come on when it rains. Climate control set to contrant temperature. Mirrors, seat etc once set need no change.

Only thing that I do change is entertainment and answer phone - mainly through steering wheel controls. Only start of journey variable may be satnav if needed.

Driving - switch on engine, put in drive, right pedal to go, left to stop, steer. Simples - but technically complex.

My total spend on non-service items on 3 different newish cars over the last 15 years is about £250 in total - tailgate struts, battery after 8 years, faulty coil.

30 years ago you were fortunate indeed if a car went a year without some repair, and getting 100k+ was a complete car lifetime.

Modern vehicles are hugely better unless you want the "real" driving experience - steering feel, diy mechanics, take pleasure in setting all controls "just right", high fuel consumption, noise, performance deficit (for similar segment vehicles), regular garage visits etc.

Take me back - SLO76
80’s and 90’s Japanese cars were every bit as reliable as today’s best and we didn’t have the worry of a write-off inducing bill to repair some costly and unnecessarily complex gearbox or computer later in the cars life.

Auto lights are a regular source of problems. I see an increasing number of people driving around with no lights on in darkness due to the over reliance on such systems and when someone else (partner or mechanic when it’s in for a service) switches them off accidents can happen. Swmbo reversed our previous Honda CRV into a truck the day after it had been in for a service because the garage had turned the parking sensors off, the auto lights too for some reason. She was too reliant on these systems as are many others.
Take me back - edlithgow

Blimey! That's a bit pricey!

My last car here (though 7-8 years ago) was a 2.0L DOHC Sierra. Paid the equivalent of 120 quid for it.

Quite liked it, especially as it was RWD and pre catalyst,(VERY hard to find here).

Certainly that's as "modern" as I'd want to go, but unfortunately it was also (a) an automatic, and (b) a saloon.

A car that size that you can't carry a bicycle in without ripping the seats is an absurdity, but a manual estate would have been very nice.

Plastic timing chain guide broke. Biggish job to fix properly with nowhere to work, and while I had the engine open fiddling ineffectually with it a torrential tropical cloudburst put a load of water in it’

That shouldn’t have been fatal if dealt with promptly, but I fannied around with home made flushing oils, then had to leave it for a couple of days before getting it good and hot on a long run, and it suffered fatal internal corrosion.

Feel guilty about that. In hindsight I should have broken my “rule” and paid someone when the guide first broke..

Still have the Haynes

Edited by edlithgow on 22/06/2021 at 12:43

Take me back - SLO76
“ Blimey! That's a bit pricey!

My last car here (though 7-8 years ago) was a 2.0L DOHC Sierra. Paid the equivalent of 120 quid for it.”

Yeah, it’s strong money but a good normal Sierra is a rare find these days. I’d’ve snapped it up from the old soul this dealer no doubt paid a fraction of this to though. I’d like a misery spec 80’s Ford or Vauxhall.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 12:54

Take me back - edlithgow

" ...carry me back down

The gasoline alley where I started from"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=poaOlVSMTrM

But those days are gone, or soon will be.

Its The End Of The World As We Know It

Take me back - badbusdriver

Someone build me a modern Sierra, or just buy this one for me.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1232117

Hmm, first thing to pop into my head upon seeing this was Inspector Frost!

;-)

Take me back - mcb100
I’d no more delete stability control and ABS than I’d delete seatbelts.
Having demonstrated it over the years, under controlled conditions, it’s faster reacting than any driver with the ability that no driver has - it can brake individual wheels.
Take me back - Engineer Andy
I hate all the unnecessary electronic gubbins that are fitted to even the smallest of cars these days. Bluetooth this, hands free that, twenty ECU’s, numb electric steering and hugely complex automated manual gearbox all with an almost certain gargantuan bill for repair at the other end. My wife’s Volvo is full of complex electronics that fill me with fear and are never used by me if I can avoid it. Even turning on the A/C requires much eyes off road distraction. I long for simpler times. If I could buy a modern version of this. Decent crash safety I’d like so it would be a bit bigger and yes it would have ABS and I’d like a hydraulic steering to retain some feel, I don’t care that it’ll do 0.5mpg less. I don’t need traction or stability control, I can actually drive. I want airbags and a strong shell and maybe central locking but that’s it! I want big buttons and simple controls. I want a straightforward engine and running gear that anyone can fix rather than a monstrosity that’s a write-off if it coughs. It would need fuel injection for reliability and it would need a bit more power for the weight but no more than adequate is needed for road use. What’s the point of 200bhp plus on the crowded roads we drive to work and back? Bar room bragging rights aren’t required here. Someone build me a modern Sierra, or just buy this one for me. www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1232117

Indeed - it's why I like my current 15yo Mazda - easy to operate, nice to drive, even now. Even the A/C is easy to use as its a dial temperature controlled climate control with the same as a press button for auto. Nice easy audio controls and essentially the same easy to use steering stalk controls (unlike many continental cars that differ a lot from make to make) as my old Micra had 10 years before.

When I test drove it, it was like I'd just gotten out of my old car and was just driving a faster, better handling version of it, only having to adjust the seating position.

Other than the normal wear and tear items, it's never missed a beat, given better mpg than the claimed combined (and hasn't dropped throughout ownership) for a similar driving pattern. In once a year for service and MOT (no fails yet, 13 passes since new).

No 'software upgrades' needed either.

I would like something with more poke to help when poulling out onto fast roads or overtaking, perhaps a bit better comfort, but that's about it.

Take me back - SLO76
Here’s another good old family hero. The Mk III Cavalier was a great car, especially the 8v 2.0’s. All the car you needed and no gimmicks.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1114675
Take me back - elekie&a/c doctor
Ah yes, the GM family 2 , 2 litre Ne engine , virtually indestructible. Sohc , 8 valve . Why do we need any more ?
Take me back - Xileno

A neighbour at a previous home had a 1.8 something or other, I remember it being the 8v engine. It went on and on, in the end rust killed it as every MOT it needed more welding. I remember having a lift in it as recently as three years ago, I was surprised at how comfortable and quiet it was.

Edited by Xileno on 22/06/2021 at 21:35

Take me back - SLO76
Ah yes, the GM family 2 , 2 litre Ne engine , virtually indestructible. Sohc , 8 valve . Why do we need any more ?

Did everything you needed. Had plenty of go, would run to mega miles yet could do 40mpg on a run with a light right foot. Back in the days when fleet managers demanded reliability and simplicity and manufacturers wanted to keep them sweet.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2021 at 21:54

Take me back - Deryck

I'd love to have the Mk3 Cavalier again. I had a 1600 91 plate for 10 years having sold it in 2002. Never a problem in all the time I had it. I managed to get 630 miles out of a tank of fuel. The only downside was rusty bits underneath that needed patching at MoT time.

I could be tempted if I had the space