What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - _

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-9696747/All...l

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - skidpan

If its in the Daily Mail it must be true.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Bromptonaut

I think this time the substance is true. The spin is another story.

'Civil Enforcement' of minor moving traffic offences has been a thing in London since early last decade. Using cameras etc there's no doubt that being caught on an illegal turn or a box junction is, if not a certainty, a very real possibility. Like with Parking there is a discount for early settlement.

Disputes that cannot be resolved with representations to the Council go to an Independent Tribunal.

I'd say it's a good idea and that the law abiding have nothing to worry about.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Engineer Andy

I think this time the substance is true. The spin is another story.

'Civil Enforcement' of minor moving traffic offences has been a thing in London since early last decade. Using cameras etc there's no doubt that being caught on an illegal turn or a box junction is, if not a certainty, a very real possibility. Like with Parking there is a discount for early settlement.

Disputes that cannot be resolved with representations to the Council go to an Independent Tribunal.

I'd say it's a good idea and that the law abiding have nothing to worry about.

TBH I think it's going to be yet another money-making wheeze, like speed cameras on stretches of road that have hjad no speed-related fatalities (councils bend the rules to include any RTA fatality to justify them) to bolster coffers.

Given how the authorities appear to be extending their power in many areas, I'd say we have a LOT to worry about. Minor infractions should, in my view just be limited to a ticking off via letter (or if seen at the time) from Plod on the first offence.

The last thing we need right now is yet more council staff and Police doing things to take them away from real work, nor getting laywers and other jobsworths in at £££ to fleece us of more money for minor mistakes.

It's not as though everyone here can claim to never breaking the speed limit or handing themselves into the Police for doing so.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - barney100
I agree with Engineer Andy, we are being targeted as an easy source of revenue. First mistake in a lifetime of motoring and a whole load of bricks descend on you. I have lost respect for the laurhorities who constantly make motoring a trial.

England has a huge amount of official cameras watching us all the time. 45 years of driving with no problems and the first very minor offence and a ton of bricks descends on your doormat. 'Notice of intended prosecution', how about a long serving driver with no penalties caught for a very minor infringement getting a warning. Orwell was right about big brother and Shakespeare had it right about Julius Caesar.

Perhaps you need to have more an open mind, given that nowhere near all the articles in the DM are untrue or exagerrated to any meanful degree, rather like believing without question everything your read in the pages of the Guardian or Indie.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - ExA35Owner

I would argue that automatic penalties for disobeying No Right Turn, bus lanes, box junctions are merely a tax on those who are either unable to understand the simple rules or are too entitled to think they apply to them. Similarly with speeding: if you are smart enough to drive, you must be smart enough to know what the limit is and to keep within it.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Tester

Couldn't agree more, A35Owner, and that's speaking as someone who got caught by a bus lane camera late in the evening when there were no buses or anything else about! I made a mistake (meant to take the next left turn) and it cost £30. It's a modest pain but I was in the wrong and it reminded me to be more observant -- even after 40+ years of trying to drive well, I clearly needed a reminder. So, in this case it was a tax on my own silliness.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Zippy123

Couldn't agree more, A35Owner, and that's speaking as someone who got caught by a bus lane camera late in the evening when there were no buses or anything else about! I made a mistake (meant to take the next left turn) and it cost £30. It's a modest pain but I was in the wrong and it reminded me to be more observant -- even after 40+ years of trying to drive well, I clearly needed a reminder. So, in this case it was a tax on my own silliness.

I would argue that if the busses weren't running at that time or traffic is significantly reduced then bus lane enforcement should be time based (around rush-hour only for example). Otherwise its just a waste of road surface paid for by the tax payer.

I would argue that automatic penalties for disobeying No Right Turn, bus lanes, box junctions are merely a tax on those who are either unable to understand the simple rules or are too entitled to think they apply to them. Similarly with speeding: if you are smart enough to drive, you must be smart enough to know what the limit is and to keep within it.

The problem is that there are some road layout where it is all to easy (through a combination of bad road design and loads of angry/impatient road users [especially locals] around you) to fall foul of such rules/laws, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area.

There's a big difference between a minor honest mistake and someone deliberately (and repeatedly) breaking the rules/law that makes a big difference to the traffic situation/safety on the road.

What happened to Plod having a quiet word in our shell-like - that will likely help people improve their skills and confidence, especially amongst the elderly who, as I've seen in person, go downhill quickly from a health perspective if they lose the usefulness of driving.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - madf

DO NOT be unkind to the Daily Mail.

It's a great paper - just the correct size for uniting two bee colonies together.

The rest of it - the content - is for those of a weak mind and strong opinions.

Apologies to anyone I have offended if they fit the description.

Edited by madf on 17/06/2021 at 18:09

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - SLO76
This thread reminds me of my days as a newsagent (I know, I’ve tried everything) and my morning news reading ritual. It was always fascinating to read the different twists the press put on any story big enough to appear in all of them, it would completely warp from one end of the news stand to the other. The Mail (my mothers main news source) was always a little sensationalist and the Guardian criticised anything any right of centre government did good or bad. The best I found for a rational view were the Scotsman, Times, Telegraph and FT. The red top tabloids were largely for laughs only. But I liked to read them all (except the Mirror and Star) for some idea of where the real truth lay. It always concerned me that so many had a completely skewed view of reality based on the pint in their one daily newspaper, my mother included.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/06/2021 at 19:21

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Marlin1

Re fines for driving in cycle lanes.

Just wait for the cycle lanes to get so wide that you can't avoid driving in them. Automatic fines and revenue just for driving up the road and to the council, just for the cost of some paint and an ANPR camera.

And I don't trust the ANPR cameras or system. I got done for 58 on the Dartford Crossing (50).

I remember the day well, simply because I was visiting a business I had never been to before with a new colleague.

The bridge was bumper to bumper on the way back and there is no way I got to over 30MPH at any point.

Got a days speed awareness course as punishment.

Now my satnav pings at any average speed cameras and I deliberately drive slowly - yes - I'm the one doing 40 on the Dartford Crossing holding the trucks up.

Edited by Marlin1 on 17/06/2021 at 21:59

Now my satnav pings at any average speed cameras and I deliberately drive slowly - yes - I'm the one doing 40 on the Dartford Crossing holding the trucks up.

Mine does too and speed tolerance set to zero, so when digital speedo on dash is showing 30 for example, i'm doing 28-29.

Re fines for driving in cycle lanes.

Just wait for the cycle lanes to get so wide that you can't avoid driving in them. Automatic fines and revenue just for driving up the road and to the council, just for the cost of some paint and an ANPR camera.

And I don't trust the ANPR cameras or system. I got done for 58 on the Dartford Crossing (50).

When the lanes start to get that wide I'll let it worry me. It's amazing how the number of people unable to avoid driving in a local bus lane dropped when an enforcement camera was installed.

I'll leave the white paint>camera>cash cow thing for conspiracy theorists.

How can a camera clock you at 58 in a nose/tail queue? I suspect like those fined for '32' in a thirty the story wont stand up to examination.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/06/2021 at 09:27

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Marlin1

How can a camera clock you at 58 in a nose/tail queue? I suspect like those fined for '32' in a thirty the story wont stand up to examination.

Have you seen how high the ANPR cameras are? They point down from the gantries to get a good image of cars close together.

And traffic cameras are put in revenue generating locations. There is a hill near me with no recorded fatalities and fewer than average accidents and yet there is a speed camera and has been for at least 15 years. Even cyclists set the thing off.

Have you seen how high the ANPR cameras are? They point down from the gantries to get a good image of cars close together.

Isn't there an average speed check on the whole of the A282 albeit in sections? If they're checking average speeds they just need a capture of the VRN; the equation speed equals distance over time will identify the speeders without a picture of the car itself.

And traffic cameras are put in revenue generating locations. There is a hill near me with no recorded fatalities and fewer than average accidents and yet there is a speed camera and has been for at least 15 years. Even cyclists set the thing off.

The reality is cameras cost quite a bit to install and maintain so they're installed where lots of people speed.

You mean somebody has to die to get a speed camera and it's OK to wait for that otherwise the camera is there as a 'cash cow'? Funny thing is the people keenest on speed enforcement are locals. Stats don't record near misses or people who feel intimidated by speeding traffic.

If nobody speeds there's no revenue.

Simples.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/06/2021 at 16:13

Isn't there an average speed check on the whole of the A282 albeit in sections? If they're checking average speeds they just need a capture of the VRN; the equation speed equals distance over time will identify the speeders without a picture of the car itself.

The reality is cameras cost quite a bit to install and maintain so they're installed where lots of people speed.

You mean somebody has to die to get a speed camera and it's OK to wait for that otherwise the camera is there as a 'cash cow'? Funny thing is the people keenest on speed enforcement are locals. Stats don't record near misses or people who feel intimidated by speeding traffic.

If nobody speeds there's no revenue.

Simples.

The whole point of speed cameras was touted to reduce the frequency and severeity of accidents, not to 'stop people speeding', especially where that is just 5mph over a limit which often has deliberately been reduced in order to catch more people speeding - hence why they often are sited on downhill sections.

There are several near me, all well before and after known accident blackspots (i.e. they make zero difference to accident rates there), and yet they've never been moved or removed.

If people are 'speeding' and there are no serious accidents/deaths, why is the camera there in the first place? If I recall, there were criteria set that said they could only be sited after X number of fatal accidents occurred where excess i.e. above the limit) speed was a major factor, and yet so many are installed where there just aren't accidents or of that severity. Similar with 'camera partnership' (not with locals) police vans hiding behind bushes etc in locations where accients aren't happening.

All they are is yet another reveneue stream for councils trying to extract more of our cash to waste of useless schemes for them and their chums to benefit/live off that gives the communtiy nothing.

There's a reason why roads aren't altered to make them safer, including reasonable / sensible speed limits and enforcement, because they, if done properly, earn practically no cash.

If people are 'speeding' and there are no serious accidents/deaths, why is the camera there in the first place? If I recall, there were criteria set that said they could only be sited after X number of fatal accidents occurred where excess i.e. above the limit) speed was a major factor, and yet so many are installed where there just aren't accidents or of that severity.

Can I trouble you for a source for the bit I've bolded?

All they are is yet another reveneue stream for councils trying to extract more of our cash to waste of useless schemes for them and their chums to benefit/live off that gives the communtiy nothing.

Does the money from speed camera fines even go to the Council?

There's a reason why roads aren't altered to make them safer, including reasonable / sensible speed limits and enforcement, because they, if done properly, earn practically no cash.

That's just conspiracy nonsense.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Zippy123

Hey, Bromp, even your favourite newspaper suggests councils try it on...

www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jun/12/traffic-fi...g

and this claim is that so much money is made from box-junction fines that the councils want there to be poor traffic flow...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37474415

And lets be honest, you don't see nearly as many council funded speed cameras on country lanes simply because there is no money to be made because usage is lower, even though the accident rate per driven mile is likely to be higher.

Instead most are on motorways - the safest roads we have - where traffic generally heads in the same direction, unless hitting the central reservation or taking an illegal shortcut under the motorway.

Lucky there were no cameras there to catch the potential driving without due care and attention!

I would also suggest that if councils didn't like to generate as much income as possible from motorists they would not have unnecessarily ticketed someone for parking in London. It must have been un-necessary as an appeal was successful!

;-D

Edited by Zippy123 on 18/06/2021 at 15:31

Hey, Bromp, even your favourite newspaper suggests councils try it on...

www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jun/12/traffic-fi...g

There will of course be the odd bit of perhaps egregious misconduct by individual authorities but it's a leap from there to the Conspiracy stuff some allege.

Council's make mistakes like skimping in signing and failing to learn from being overturned by the Adjudicator.

If they fail to learn from experience what can you do?

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - FoxyJukebox

What formal evidence is there that all these restrictions work eg provide better safety, fewer accidents, better traffic flow etc?

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - primus 1

You’ll soon know if your local council has applied for these measures, all the cycle lanes and box junction markings will all be freshly painted

What formal evidence is there that all these restrictions work eg provide better safety, fewer accidents, better traffic flow etc?

Which restrictions do you mean?

Box Junctions? Turn Prohibitions?

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Warning

If they are raising £60million in London, it it will interesting to see how much they raise outside London. What does the Police currently raise?

Over the year, I have been the victim of crime over many years. I have had my car stolen, hit by uninsured drivers (twice). (once on a road with CCTV), victim identify theft, burglary, windows smashed, but never has any of these crimes have ever been solved. The Police catch rate is 0%

However when it comes to using CCTV for motoring issues. I had a fine on a yellow box some years ago. I am careful, but this was a one yellow box, then 5 metres of normal road followed by another yellow box. It was hard to tell, it was a long yellow box. It was designed in a way to catch people out. When I googled it, lots of other people had been got at the spot. Same for driving in a pedestrian zone at night (which did n't look like one, but they had put signs and hard to see). There should be some form of investigation, if there are too many traffic violation at one spot.

I have read of cases, where some drivers will not edge out at a red traffic light, to let out an ambulance with siren, because they don't want to penalty points....

I feel it is an unfair society, when CCTV is used to catch motorist, but I have never read about cases where CCTV was used to catch a real criminal....

This happened to me in 2018....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=126412

Said box junction is often blocked as one lane has been sacrificed for "social distancing".

I feel it is an unfair society, when CCTV is used to catch motorist, but I have never read about cases where CCTV was used to catch a real criminal....

I cannot see why 'What About Police Failures' has any bearing whatsoever on CCTV for Council's to enforce minor moving traffic offences like U-Turns or box junctions.

If there are particular 'hotspots' where what appear to be unfair penalties are being imposed, even if there is a technical infringement, then the Council and if necessary the Adjudicators from the Traffic Penalty Tribunal can identify and remedy them. This has already happened in London, for example Camden Council modified the Box Markings at the junction of Proctor Street and High Holborn.

And there are plenty of cases where CCTV has been used to catch/identify Criminals including the 7/7 bombers, the killers of PC Sharon Besnivsky and of course the Russian Agents spreading Novichok in Salisbury.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Smileyman

Councils claim to be short of /tight for funds .... this will be abused to enrichen their coffers. Pity a legal appeals process was not included in the legislation too so that interested locals could challenge the restrictions if they felt them to be inappropriate.

Edited by Smileyman on 26/06/2021 at 08:41

Councils claim to be short of /tight for funds .... this will be abused to enrichen their coffers. Pity a legal appeals process was not included in the legislation too so that interested locals could challenge the restrictions if they felt them to be inappropriate.

If people feel they are being ticketed inappropriately ie where no actual infringement took place there will be a legal process for appeals; The Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

As I've already said in this thread I think the 'conspiracy' theory that Councils will set traps for the unwary is at it's mildest, unproven.

The appeal tribunal cannot allow an appeal where an infringement was committed on poorly defined infrastructure or a ticket was issued unfairly. It can and will formally request the Council to reconsider and a council denying such a request risks serious adverse publicity.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - sammy1

""" would argue that if the busses weren't running at that time or traffic is significantly reduced then bus lane enforcement should be time based (around rush-hour only for example). Otherwise its just a waste of road surface paid for by the tax payer."""

A good point. However where I live the bus lanes are time specific but nobody trusts the times displayed even though the bus lanes are not covered by cameras. Consequently the bus lanes are deserted all day. You then have the 100yard bus lane with more signs and times and the bus only left lane filter more signs! It is hard to believe that the council is employed by us and that its employees are you and me. What I feel sorry for is the strangers new to an area trying to navigate all these signs. They deserve a medal if they avoid a fine. It is no wonder accidents happen and the odd cyclist is injured or worse.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Terry W

I have had 3 speeding tickets in the last 25 years. In no case was I driving dangerously, but I was going faster than signed. It was my inattention that caused the infringements.

Cameras and ANPR are dumb - they react based on how they are programmed/set. With improvements to IT they could be made to work more thoughtfully - 40mph in a 30 limit when the schools are turning out is rather greater risk than 1.00am.

My recollection is that the siting of cameras was based on road fatalities and serious injury statistics. But it makes sense (IMHO) to (eg) site a camera at (say) the start of a 30mph limit rather than half way through the village because that is where the accidents happen.

I do not generally believe the conspiracy theory or revenue earning mantra. It is simply an excuse for failing to observe road signs - although they are sometimes less clear than they should be or swamped with information overload from far too many.

Mandating high quality, visible and appropriate street and road surface signage should be a prerequisite for issuing a fine. Failure to adequately sign should lead to fine cancellation.

If people feel they are being ticketed inappropriately ie where no actual infringement took place there will be a legal process for appeals; The Traffic Penalty Tribunal.

As I've already said in this thread I think the 'conspiracy' theory that Councils will set traps for the unwary is at it's mildest, unproven.

Please prove that - with cited evidence.

The appeal tribunal cannot allow an appeal where an infringement was committed on poorly defined infrastructure or a ticket was issued unfairly. It can and will formally request the Council to reconsider and a council denying such a request risks serious adverse publicity.

And council staff are always honourable people just doing their civic duty for the benefit of all.

((pig flies past my window))

More likely that camera partnerships (not with citizens) and councils do as much as they can get away with before blaming 'the systemn', 'central government dictats' or 'an innocent mistake' after such deliberate acts to or gross incompetence.

I've said it's unproven as in I've seen no proof. Your asking for evidence of a negative. There is no clear evidence, beyond egregious on offs, that such a thing exists.

It's up to those asserting malfeasance and conspiracy to produce examples.

And council staff are always honourable people just doing their civic duty for the benefit of all.

I'm talking about the independent tribunal. If it allows an appeal the Council, subject to asking for a review or seeking Judicial Review, are bound by the decision. The Chief Adjudicator has not been shy of speaking out when Councils have rejected advice to let a penalty drop.

More likely that camera partnerships (not with citizens) and councils do as much as they can get away with before blaming 'the systemn', 'central government dictats' or 'an innocent mistake' after such deliberate acts to or gross incompetence.

I don't know what this paragraph means. Camera Partnerships are/were about speeding offences. The money from that now goes to the national Exchequer. Council have no incentive to 'nick' people and, at least for a time, the old Northamptonshire County Council turned off cameras as they became unviable.

What we're talking about now is Councils enforcing things like turn contraventions.

It's worked in London for approaching 20 years.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/06/2021 at 13:07

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Terry W

In 2019 ~2.0m bus lane fines were issued raising ~£60m - seems like a lot but put it in proportion:

• it amounts to about 90p per head per year for each person in the UK - less than half a cup of coffee or 6 chips from the chippy
  • there are 32m cars on UK roads. If the 2.0m fines were issued to 2.0m motorists this would be ~6% of UK motorists getting fined. As many will have been fined several times, I suspect ~2% of motorists received a fine (1 in 50)
  • total revenue spending by local authorities is ~£95bn a year. £60m in fines is an utterly trivial addition - roughly equivalent to someone on say £30k salary pa getting an increase of £20 a year

Even if parking fines, U-turn fines, etc etc treble the size of the fine income, it is hardly a major story.

Edited by Terry W on 26/06/2021 at 13:09

I've said it's unproven as in I've seen no proof. Your asking for evidence of a negative. There is no clear evidence, beyond egregious on offs, that such a thing exists.

It's up to those asserting malfeasance and conspiracy to produce examples.

Ah, the tried and tested excuse. Looks like you aim in the fish barrel ain't as good as you thought or the fish appear to be avoiding your shots with ease (once again). :-p

I'm talking about the independent tribunal. If it allows an appeal the Council, subject to asking for a review or seeking Judicial Review, are bound by the decision. The Chief Adjudicator has not been shy of speaking out when Councils have rejected advice to let a penalty drop.

Most people can't afford or be bothered to go through lengthy appeals processes when the onus is (sadly) on them, not the council to prove their innocence. Hardly justice, is it?

I don't know what this paragraph means. Camera Partnerships are/were about speeding offences. The money from that now goes to the national Exchequer. Council have no incentive to 'nick' people and, at least for a time, the old Northamptonshire County Council turned off cameras as they became unviable.

What we're talking about now is Councils enforcing things like turn contraventions.

It's worked in London for approaching 20 years.

Even where money from 'camera partnerships' goes back to central government, I'm sure there's an incientive to get more in return for councils to get a nice backhander for doing so, in the form of 'grants' - I mean why would councils and Police Authorities continue operating them out of their coffers if they weren't given money from central government to pay for it all?

Odd also why well known accident blackspots rarely have cameras on them or, in many cases, the money raised put to good use (as it should be 100% of the time) in modifying roads, crossings, etc to make them safer. Odd also why many cameras get installed at locations with almost or no history of accidents, just people 'speeding' that are then used as cash cows (some make £Ms). I thought it was supposedly all about safety and traffic flow.

Please provide proof of your assertion that it has been 'working' in London for 20 years.

Ah, the tried and tested excuse. Looks like you aim in the fish barrel ain't as good as you thought or the fish appear to be avoiding your shots with ease (once again). :-p

In all seriousness Andy how do you suggest a negative can be proved?

Most people can't afford or be bothered to go through lengthy appeals processes when the onus is (sadly) on them, not the council to prove their innocence. Hardly justice, is it?

The Appeal process is free and most cases are decided on the papers. I've watched an Adjudicator doing paper appeals in my old Civil Service role. Quick but thorough.

I've also used the process myself in relation to a parking infringement in London. Attended in person as the stats say you have a better chance that way. It allows a decent inquisitorial approach by the Adjudicator so any gaps get filled in. Exactly the same principal applies to Social Security Tribunals,

Even where money from 'camera partnerships' goes back to central government, I'm sure there's an incientive to get more in return for councils to get a nice backhander for doing so, in the form of 'grants' - I mean why would councils and Police Authorities continue operating them out of their coffers if they weren't given money from central government to pay for it all?

Odd also why well known accident blackspots rarely have cameras on them or, in many cases, the money raised put to good use (as it should be 100% of the time) in modifying roads, crossings, etc to make them safer. Odd also why many cameras get installed at locations with almost or no history of accidents, just people 'speeding' that are then used as cash cows (some make £Ms). I thought it was supposedly all about safety and traffic flow.

The bottom line with all of that is that it starts with the cash cow 'conspiracy' theory.

One of the drivers for getting a Camera installed is local pressure. If you ask people in pretty much any locale to list their top concerns speeding drivers will be near the top. There are a few installed by the former SCP round here. Two on the A43, at the Blisworth turn between Northampton and Towcester and the Green Man pub/hotel at Brackley Hatch were in places where there had been serious fatal accidents. Dual Carriageways with a mix of flat and grade separated junctions are particularly dangerous.

The local plod are outside our rural comp with a mobile camera on a regular basis; another way of covering danger spots with lower traffic volumes.

Please provide proof of your assertion that it has been 'working' in London for 20 years.

You mean in the sense that people are being caught making illegal turns etc in numbers they never were when it was down to the Police?

In all seriousness Andy how do you suggest a negative can be proved?

I'm sure you can, given you expect me to all too often. It's not as though you haven't got the time or the inclination, is it?

The Appeal process is free and most cases are decided on the papers. I've watched an Adjudicator doing paper appeals in my old Civil Service role. Quick but thorough.

I've also used the process myself in relation to a parking infringement in London. Attended in person as the stats say you have a better chance that way. It allows a decent inquisitorial approach by the Adjudicator so any gaps get filled in. Exactly the same principal applies to Social Security Tribunals,

Most people have better things to do than take half a day off work (especially those with family and/or who need holiday time to get over their day job) just to try and get off something that a reasonable person at the council/Police etc would already have let them off with, or, in the 'good ol' days, just had a quiet word of advice and let the matter rest there.

You also worked in a related field in a civil service organisation, making your appeal far 'easier', as I'm sure you were far more aware of the process and had a far more easy time getting the time off to attend. I'm sure that you were a fellow civil servant didn't do your case any harm either.

The bottom line with all of that is that it starts with the cash cow 'conspiracy' theory.

One of the drivers for getting a Camera installed is local pressure. If you ask people in pretty much any locale to list their top concerns speeding drivers will be near the top. There are a few installed by the former SCP round here. Two on the A43, at the Blisworth turn between Northampton and Towcester and the Green Man pub/hotel at Brackley Hatch were in places where there had been serious fatal accidents. Dual Carriageways with a mix of flat and grade separated junctions are particularly dangerous.

The local plod are outside our rural comp with a mobile camera on a regular basis; another way of covering danger spots with lower traffic volumes.

Again, I've never said that ALL cameras are wrongly placed, but a decent number certainly are.

You mean in the sense that people are being caught making illegal turns etc in numbers they never were when it was down to the Police?

That the number making such manouvres were previously so great and the effect so large that it justified cameras in so many locations. Surely there must've been a proper, London-wide feasibility study you can point to with evidence to show the situation was that bad?

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - alan1302

Again, I've never said that ALL cameras are wrongly placed, but a decent number certainly are.

Please prove that - with cited evidence ;-)

I'm sure you can, given you expect me to all too often. It's not as though you haven't got the time or the inclination, is it?

If I've asked you to prove a negative then please give me an example.

The time/inclination point makes no sense.

Most people have better things to do than take half a day off work (especially those with family and/or who need holiday time to get over their day job) just to try and get off something that a reasonable person at the council/Police etc would already have let them off with, or, in the 'good ol' days, just had a quiet word of advice and let the matter rest there.

OK, the police let most people off (if you say so). Where they didn't it went to the Magistrates so half a day whatever,

You also worked in a related field in a civil service organisation, making your appeal far 'easier', as I'm sure you were far more aware of the process and had a far more easy time getting the time off to attend. I'm sure that you were a fellow civil servant didn't do your case any harm either.

I've worked with Justice /Tribunals since 1978 so yes, I understand what's involved; I'm articulate and I'd focus on the issue at hand. As above, the alternative is the Magistrates; same principle for time off and focus etc .

The 'fellow Civil Servant' bit is nonsense and a totally fact free slur on Judicial Appointees.

Again, I've never said that ALL cameras are wrongly placed, but a decent numberc certainly are.

Your assertion seemed to be that most were placed for revenue. Examples of those wrongly placed would help.

That the number making such manouvres were previously so great and the effect so large that it justified cameras in so many locations.

You understand London traffic and the effect of box junction blockers and ignoring prohibited U turns as well as I do. Police/Traffic Wardens could have achieved the same capture rate with cameras but, like parking, it was better to reform the whole system.

If the object of speed cameras etc is to improve road safety why do they find us? Surely a stronger deterrent would be points only punishments.
Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - alan1302
If the object of speed cameras etc is to improve road safety why do they find us? Surely a stronger deterrent would be points only punishments.

Fine first, that hopefully deters you...then points afterwards.

Councils and " minor infractions" - Get ready!! - Xileno

This thread started out innocently but has descended into too much politics. This is a motoring forum and whilst politics inevitably creeps into almost everything in society, there are limits which have been exceeded.

I've tidied up the thread, apologies if any useful post has got removed in the process.

Edited by Xileno on 27/06/2021 at 17:37