What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hotel near M6 on the way North - barney100

Anyone know of a hotel in the Carlisle area. We are on the way to Oban from Hampshire on the M6 but don't know the Carlisle area very well.

Hotel near M6 on the way North - JE

There are a couple of Premier Inns just off the motorway, at J42 and J44, I've stayed at the J42 one a couple of times, and it is fine. For something a little nicer a bit further off the motorway, the Crown Hotel at Wetheral is pleasant with good food.

Hotel near M6 on the way North - Gordon17

The Herdwick Inn at Penruddock, not far from Junction 40 is excellent.

Hotel near M6 on the way North - JE

Another one a bit further south is the Greyhound Hotel at Shap, just off J39, that's very good and a nicer spot than the Carlisle options

Hotel near M6 on the way North - Bromptonaut

We've used various Travelodges or similar in the Carlisle area; they are what they are. Services on the M74 including Annandale Water, Abington and Gretna also have motels.

Never tried the motel/hotel but I suspect that like the rest of the facilities Tebay Services might be a shout.

Hotel near M6 on the way North - Alby Back
Can't comment on the standard of accommodation, never slept there, but the food is really good here...

www.the-metal-bridge-inn-carlisle.co.uk/accomodati.../
Hotel near M6 on the way North - Gibbo_Wirral
Can't comment on the standard of accommodation, never slept there, but the food is really good here... www.the-metal-bridge-inn-carlisle.co.uk/accomodati.../

They also allow campervans to overnight there, place has a very good rep.

Hotel near M6 on the way North - catsdad

Yes I stopped at Tebay this morning en route to Edinburgh. Busy but well organised from a COVID perspective. The site is independently run and always gets good reviews. I only ever have a coffee but the food looks better than the chain run services provide.

Edited by catsdad on 24/05/2021 at 16:00

Hotel near M6 on the way North - concrete

The hotel at Tebay north bound services is excellent. Depends what you want to do for the evening. If it is just eat, watch some TV, sleep and go then anywhere will do. Premier or Travelodge are all fine and a known quantity, but same criteria, eat, sleep, go. If you want the evening in a pub or similar then there are lots of options online for that area. Most only up to 10-15 mins off the M6. Online research will reveal loads and you can use the filters to narrow down your requirements. Good trip and safe journey.

Cheers Concrete

Hotel near M6 on the way North - barney100

Have booked one now, thanks for the advice.

Hotel near M6 on the way North - Grenache

I'd also recommend the food at Tebay, not your usual motorway services burger-or-nothing, but a good selection of tasty knife-and-fork food.

Also, on the M74, Cairn Lodge services is owned by the same people as Tebay, also recommended. Its on a road running parallel to the M74 between J12 and J11

Also, to save you paying motorway prices for fuel, there's an Asda just off M6 J44 - follow Workington just off the motorway then right at the first roundaboout, literally two minutes. Also Tesco off M6 J43 towards Carlisle, also two minutes but Asda is often slightly cheaper.

I'd avoid the M74 services at Annadale Water, it's often very busy as it serves both sides, and the McDonalds there is 'unremarkable'. If McDonalds is your thing, then there's a good one in the Kingstown area of Carlisle just off the M6 J44.