What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2016 - Retractable Tow Bar - mattoau

Electronic automatic retractable tow bar is not working.

Car is 5 years old, I've had it for 14 months and never used the tow bar. I need it in a couple of days so thought I would test it first. Saw how to do it on a youtube video and tried the same thing on mine today without success.

Hoping that someone on here may have some experience with these.

There are no beeping sounds as per normal operation.Couldn't hear any sort of clicking from the solenoid. 5 amp fuse in position F41 in the luggage compartment is good. Can't find any meaningful technical information on the net, and at this point would be happy with manual operation, if I knew how to do it.

Any advice gladly accepted. TIA.

Ford Focus 2016 - Retractable Tow Bar - elekie&a/c doctor
Ignition off , tailgate open. Does the switch illuminate? There are some instructions in the owners handbook, but doesn’t seem to be any manual override system .
Ford Focus 2016 - Retractable Tow Bar - mattoau

No illumination from the button. Car meets all the criteria according to the owners manual, and pressing the button in excess of 15 seconds does not appear to reset as was suggested.

Ford Focus 2016 - Retractable Tow Bar - elekie&a/c doctor
Electric tow bar on one of these is a rare feature. I’ve never seen one . There is an electronic control module in the system , so any faults may be accessible through the car’s diagnostic facility.