What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - barney100

Bought a Volvo V70 for just over 8k 5 years ago with 56k on the clock. Apart from routine maintenance and a cam belt last year a smash from a Post office van that laid her up for 2 months she has been a very good buy. Today she reached 150k which won't be anywhere near some of the cars owned on here but what a workhorse!

V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - nellyjak

I'm very fond of the V70...I had a '99 (170/20v) model some years ago now and it was a superb car..never faltered..such a comfortable long distance cruiser and the auto box with it's "W" setting was great and got me through a few bad Winters..often passing "lesser" cars that were stuck.!

I think she'd only done about 110k when I sold it and I immediately regretted doing so..should have kept it a few more years.

Great car.,

V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - RGCRob

Never taken the plunge on the V70, although I always fancied one. Maybe time to consider those with a higher mileage...

V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - badbusdriver

My brother currently has a V70 with the VW diesel (2.5 I think), bought it for around £500!. He loves it and so far, touch wood, no issues with it. Not sure what the mileage is, but because of the low price I'd assume it to be quite high.

Weirdly, his son(19) is also currently running a V70, a slightly younger version with the Volvo 2.4 diesel. I think my brother (a boy racer at heart) is jealous because my nephews car has more power than his!

V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - Sparrow

I had a W reg one, March 2000, run out model if the old square ish shape. Petrol 2.4 with all the options included. I still miss that car. Despite its length Volvo had given it a wonderful tight turning circle that made mavoevering in car parks easy. The only failure it has was the leather wore off the steering wheel in under 3 years. It got a new one under warranty. I've never got on with newer Volvos. They've lost something

V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - Alby Back
I have a soft spot for Volvos. My dad had 5 of them in a row, starting with a 144 and progressing from there. I learned to drive on one of his 240s. Later I had my own 940 estates followed by an 850. All great cars. After that I had a succession of Mondeo estates that were far better than most people, or even I, might have imagined, and a couple of Audis that were less enthralling than I'd hoped, and a 5 series that was excellent but somehow soulless, but for the past ten years I've driven E Class estates.

The Mercs have proven pretty robust, the first one did 200,000 miles in five years without so much as needing a lightbulb replacing, and the second one which I still have, is up to 150,000 and similarly untroubled by its miles so far.

For me, in truth, any large estate is the perfect solution to my motoring needs and wants. When it comes time to replace my current car I'd certainly look at a V90. I do like the styling. Or of course any of the other usual suspects in the category. Love the looks of the new Peugeot 508SW, but I'd fear it might not take the abuse I'd give it. I'd also consider a 5 Touring I suppose, and it wouldn't be a hard decision just to have another Merc, or even just run this one until it won't go any further.

But, there is something "nice" about a Volvo.
V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - barney100

Our other car is an e class cabriolet with 30k on it. It's our 5th Merc and they have been excellent.

V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - Alby Back
Yeah, I'm thinking to keep my Merc estate long term. Like I said, the "old" one got up to 200,000 without any problems. This one is 5 years old now ( had it from new ) and has 150,000 on it. Most of those miles pre-Covid of course. So far, it hasn't had any issues. I've only got three years until retirement, during which time I'll need a big car, so if I can keep this one going for that long I'll decide what to have when I'm not working. By that time it might be appropriate to go electric or something.

I'm very fond of the car though, like your Volvo it has been a great servant. Might just keep it "forever" or at least until it's no longer viable to for whatever reason. How can that many Dusseldorf taxi drivers be that wrong? ;-) It's in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition and is ULEZ compliant. Only thing I might get around to ( classic Merc problem ) is getting the alloy wheels refurbished. They are starting to look tatty where surface corrosion has affected them a bit.
V70 - Old girl reached a landmark - concrete

My old Skoda Superb 1.9TDi PD 130 was really superb. No major faults, usual maintenance and never let me down in 11 years of ownership. It had over 210k miles on when I sold it and I had people scrambling to buy it. Apparently if looked after the engines were capable of starship mileages. In all I used 4 litres of top up oil in that time, averaged 50mpg and it had every bell and whistle you could want. Unfortunately after that the Euro criteria for emissions killed off that engine and VW have never quite managed a decent replacement. Nearly every taxi where I used to live was a Skoda diesel at that time too. They know a thing or two about reliability. Happy days.

Cheers Concrete