What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best used city car under £1500 ? - logger

My daughter has moved to a town where parking is tight but she needs a car as she is a carer for disabled. Its likely she will only do about 100 miles a week but occasional journeys on motorways etc.

Is there such a thing as a cheap 'small' city car under about £1500 which can also handle motorways ie cant overtake anything there than a tractor !

Anything considered..

cheers

Best used city car under £1500 ? - Xileno

At this price I would look for a nicely-kept private car. Condition is more important than make. I think I would look out for a Citroen C1 or any of its twins, ideal in town and not bad on the motorway either. It won't be a ball of fire with the 1.0 engine but the three-cylinder block settles quite nicely at 70mph. The engine is Daihatsu with a chaincam so this keeps servicing costs down but you will need to pay particular attention to the servicing to make sure the correct oil has been used and done on time.

Best used city car under £1500 ? - badbusdriver

Absolutely heaps of potential candidates, but the problem is going to be filtering through layers and layers of rubbish to find the one gem!. As above, condition is everything here, even the most inherently reliable choice could be a money pit after a decade and a half of unsympathetic neglectful owners.

Main thing is to keep it simple. Naturally aspirated engine and manual box. Use the MOT history check to get an idea of how well or otherwise the car has been looked after.

Also, where are you?. Be quite happy to have a look at what is nearby on Autotrader or Ebay.

Best used city car under £1500 ? - logger

Thans for the comments so far

Obvious first question, why not an auto. At this price are they just inherently bad news ?

Best used city car under £1500 ? - badbusdriver

Obvious first question, why not an auto. At this price are they just inherently bad news ?

Not inherently no, but a manual gearbox is simpler, will be easier and cheaper to fix should it go wrong, and your choices will be considerably wider. For a reliable auto box at this price, you'd be looking mainly at t/c auto, which is going to be noticeably less efficient that the manual equivalent. Because of this (relative) lack of efficiency, perfomance, which may not have been much to start with, will also be blunted. Not much of an issue around town, but more so at motorway speeds.

Best used city car under £1500 ? - elekie&a/c doctor
First of the new shape fiesta from 2008 with the 1.25 petrol engine can be bought from around this budget .
Best used city car under £1500 ? - SLO76
Concentrate more on condition at this money and look to private sales. You want a long term owned simple petrol engines model that’s not riddled with rot underneath. Dealers won’t offer much at this money and most won’t give you any sort of comeback without a long and costly legal fight at the end of which they’ll declare themselves bust before paying out. The guys who sell sub £3k stock tend to be dodgy as hell.

As far as shortlists are concerned, I’d happily buy any of the following in good condition.

Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol (watch for failing power steering racks)
Mazda 2 1.3 petrol
Toyota Yaris 1.0/1.33 petrol
Nissan Micra 1.0/1.2/1.4 petrol
Nissan Note 1.4/1.6 petrol
Vauxhall Corsa 1.2/1.4 petrol (avoid the less robust 1.0 unless particularly nice)
Kia Picanto 1.0/1.1 (watch for rot underneath)
Honda Jazz 1.2/1.4
Best used city car under £1500 ? - madf

Beware of rust! Especially underneath at the rear.

Check MOT history for any tester's notes. A car with a long list of items needing attention has not been well maintained. Vehicle MOT History - GOV.UK