What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai Genesis - Accident - movilogo

How did Tiger Wood manage to crash a modern car with so many electronic aids?

Why didn't the car apply auto emergency braking?

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - Metropolis.
Apparently Hawthorne Boulevard is very steep and features an S curve. There are runaway vehicle signs at the top. www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/23/tiger-woo.../

Gonzalez said crashes in the area are common because the “downhill” and “sweeping” stretch of Hawthorne Boulevard descends quickly and features an “S” curve, which can cause motorists to exceed the speed limit without realizing it.

Quote:

Woods was traveling northbound at the time of the crash — heading downward in elevation — when he apparently left his lane, crashed into a sign on the median that reads “Welcome to Rolling Hills Estates,” crossed into the southbound lanes, skipped a curb and went into a nearby field, where his vehicle hit a tree and came to a stop. Villanueva said Woods’s vehicle probably was traveling at a “relatively greater speed than normal” at the time of the crash.

Gonzalez said his department regularly patrols that stretch of road for speeding enforcement, often clocking violators going 80 mph — nearly double the 45-mph speed limit.

Edited by Metropolis. on 24/02/2021 at 17:49

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - John F

How did Tiger Wood manage to crash a modern car with so many electronic aids?

A combination of stupidity and incompetence.

Why didn't the car apply auto emergency braking?

It probably did - halfway through the first somersault.

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - daveyjp

Many reasons why it happened and we don't know the full facts.

Tiredness

Medication

Seizure

Black out

Mini stroke

Deliberate act?

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - craig-pd130

He's normally such a good driver, too.

I'll get me coat.

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - Xileno

I don't think it's wise to make assumptions until there's been an investigation. Mechanical failure hasn't been dismissed.

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - Falkirk Bairn

According to one report.

He was running late. Somebody was blocking his exit from the carpark.

He was stuck for a few minutes and then shot off very smartly.

Apparently late.

Arriving late for a sponsor meeting was not a good idea BUT he was almost dead on time.

Hire car given to him by Genesis (Hyundai) for the week of the tournament

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - bazza

Hope he recovers fully and wish him well. Heard a lot about "investigation" and enquiries etc, many times we just make mistakes as drivers, how many times have each of us nearly totalled in some fashion or actually have done! I know I have, several times, each one is a learning experience, there but for the grace of God!

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - _

He's normally such a good driver, too.

I'll get me coat.

Wasn't puttering along then?

Above assumption apparently confirmed by 'black box' evidence.

If Audi had had similar in their 5000 model, they would have sold a lot more in the USA. It is impossible for some humans to believe they can be so fallible. They tried to blame the car for the 'unintended acceleration'. Credulous USA judges believed them. Toyota was affected too. Cars were recalled....to separate the pedals a bit more. If such recording devices become commonplace, I suppose some will insist they are faulty!

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - Falkirk Bairn

Tiger was running late for filming - late getting up/out to the courtesy car, path out of carpark blocked by people unloading their car.

45mph speed limit - downhill & twisty turns.

Tiger was doing 80-85 mph

Says it all.

Hyundai Genesis - Accident - RT

Tiger was running late for filming - late getting up/out to the courtesy car, path out of carpark blocked by people unloading their car.

Says it all.

Misses out the bit where he never touched the brakes - unfortunately the black box couldn't tell if he was awake or not.

Misses out the bit where he never touched the brakes - unfortunately the black box couldn't tell if he was awake or not.

He was observed to be agitated and annoyed at being delayed, so unlikely he fell asleep a few minutes later. The road is not at all twisty, just a gentle curve which could easily be taken at high speed - there's a U-tube demo. Looks as though he hit the curb at a crossover point.