What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - Steveieb

Reports that Renault are heading for a massive loss and production difficulties due to lack of chips.

But with the French government holding a 14 per cent stake reorganisation could be difficult.

And was Carlos Ghosn right to recommend volume over profitability rather than his successor Msr de Ceo who favours the reverse.

5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - Metropolis.
I wish they would just let Nissan be Nissan, like the Chinese seem to have done with Volvo. I think the corporate coup against Ghosn was about that but time will tell if it hasnt already.

That 14% stake is both a burden and a curse. No way will the french government allow them to go bust.

Interesting strategy of volume over profitability, but maybe qualify over both would be a better long term strategy. It works for Toyota. Someone please tell me if I have misunderstood!
5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - Avant

Copying over something I wrote on the Dacia thread:

I read an interview this week with Renault's new CEO, Luca de Meo (who has had a good track record with Fiat and Seat) who acknowledges that the brands have become too close to each other and need differentiating.

Found it now - it was in Autocar. Luca de Meo recognises, as the infamous headline-chasing Carlos Ghosn seems not to have done, that profit is the aim and not just sales volume.

5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - daveyK_UK
There is an argument that you hit large volume and aim for moderate profitability per unit until you start to eliminate (bust or takeover) the opposition

5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - Xileno

The Renault-Nissan alliance should have produced better results I feel. If one thinks back twenty years or so, you had Nissan producing ultra-reliable cars but perhaps a bit bland and dull (some exceptions of course); and Renault producing innovative and characterful cars but reliability on some models lacking (particularly in the 2000-2004 period with early MK2 Lagunas, Scenics, Meganes, Espaces). Therefore combine Nissan's reliability with Renault's design flair and it should have been a winner.

Although judging by the various surveys Renault have come on in leaps and bounds in terms of quality and reliability, what they have done is just close the gap and put themselves where they should always have been. The latest survey I saw (carwow) put Renault average to good, pretty much level with Ford - which I would agree with having run both makes.

So there has to be something else to attract the customers but I'm not sure what it is or could be. I think it can only be what they used to do so well - design flair, pushing boundaries, perhaps even being a bit controversial such as the Mk2 Megane. It got people talking about the cars.

Maybe all the French manufacturers should have clubbed together. We could have had Renciteot.

I think there are just too many manufacturers and there will be a shake-out to come. I don't think Jaguar will survive, I predict in five years it will be split off, particularly as they're going all electric it could be attractive to a company who needs an up-market electric brand but don't have the resources or time to develop one.

5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - focussed

"Jaguar will survive, I predict in five years it will be split off, particularly as they're going all electric it could be attractive to a company who needs an up-market electric brand but don't have the resources or time to develop one"

Black and Decker perhaps? :-)

5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - mcb100
The Alliance made a big announcement, late last year, to that effect.
The brands will diversify where economically possible - we’ve already seen Mitsubishi planning to withdraw from Europe - they will concentrate on the Japanese and Asian markets where they are stronger.
Renault will concentrate on what they do best, which is small cars in Europe, whilst Nissan will look after the larger stuff and be the ‘face’ of the Alliance in the US.
5 billion down to Nissan allegedly - Renault report 8 billion Euro loss - focussed

Mainland France is sinking under the weight of unsold new car stock, I forget the numbers but they are scary huge. So you would think you could get a storming deal on a new car? Not a bit of it - no sign of any deals to be done at the dealers.

Except Dacia - 3 months delivery from the date of order.