What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - NAthan smith
Looking at one of the latest generation 508sw in a GT line spec. Looks to be some cracking deals out there at the moment. Anyone had any experience ? Problems? Also size wise how do they compare the data suggests the boot is the same size as my 5 series estate?
Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - badbusdriver

Going by what I have read, the estate sacrifices some practicality for its svelte lines. It isn't cramped exactly, but isn't huge. Not sure about the exact figures, but I seem to recall reading the volume is smaller than the 3 Series estate.

Cracking looking car though, one of my customers has one (a saloon) so I've had a good look at it from all most angles and have to say, IMO, it is one of the best looking cars around at the moment.

Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - SLO76
Good looking car but it’ll plummet in value so even if it costs several thousand pounds less than say a used Audi A4 it’ll end up costing you more. I also have little faith in a gadget laden Peugeot’s prospects for longevity.
Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - mcb100
Last figures I saw were the 508 retaining more in value to a comparative 3 Series is A4 over 3 years.
If you’re buying new, don’t expect a big discount - Peugeot have a good range of cars, and they know it.
Last figures I saw were the 508 retaining more in value to a comparative 3 Series is A4 over 3 years. If you’re buying new, don’t expect a big discount - Peugeot have a good range of cars, and they know it.

I’d like to see those figures if you can find them. Every large Peugeot has suffered catastrophic depreciation from new. Being as the car is still pretty new the residual values will be largely pie in the sky made up figures in a screen based on Peugeot’s oft ignored promises on supply and demand.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/02/2021 at 00:38

Last figures I saw were the 508 retaining more in value to a comparative 3 Series is A4 over 3 years. If you’re buying new, don’t expect a big discount - Peugeot have a good range of cars, and they know it.

I’d like to see those figures if you can find them. Every large Peugeot has suffered catastrophic depreciation from new. Being as the car is still pretty new the residual values will be largely pie in the sky made up figures in a screen based on Peugeot’s oft ignored promises on supply and demand.

I remember when the current 508 came out there was a feature in Car Magazine about it, big road test, all the works. But there was also a section on depreciation, and while I don't remember where the figures came from, it was from an independent source rather than Peugeot themselves. And they predicted the 508 would hold its value at least as well as an A4, 3 Series or C Class.

Of course predictions are just that, but having been on sale for a couple of years now it should be easy enough to compare asking prices for equivalent models to get an indication of how 508 values are standing up compared to the usual suspects.

While the fact that, in the UK anyway, buyers are so image and badge obsessed meant previous big Peugeot's never stood a chance, there is also the fact that in certain key areas, they just weren't that good (showroom appeal, perceived build quality). But with Peugeot now having, what the motoring press describe as, about the best interiors out there, and the cars themselves being so good, it surely isn't impossible for there to be a change in how Peugeot are viewed by the buying public?.

“ But with Peugeot now having, what the motoring press describe as, about the best interiors out there, and the cars themselves being so good, it surely isn't impossible for there to be a change in how Peugeot are viewed by the buying public?.”

It takes many years and a genuinely good product plus years of evidence that the thing will be reliable and hassle free and that new supply won’t outstrip demand before residuals will firm up. It won’t be done quickly.

I remember the battles of non-German brands when trying you prop up used residuals in the past. When Mitsubishi launched the Sigma V6 for example, they tried to keep all used examples within the dealer network and they restricted supply. We as a main dealer we’re encouraged to buy any that appeared at auction no matter the condition in order to stop the typical large Japanese saloon value crash. It failed despite it being a very decent but over complex big car, the later more straightforward 12v 2wd estates were the better cars.

Citroen and Peugeot initially attempted the same with the 605 and XM before giving up and flogging them at huge discount. The same will no doubt happen with the 508.
True to form I can’t find it again now, but from memory CAP & Glass’ were forecasting c3% up on the equivalent German metal.
Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - sandy56

I ran a 407 diesel auto estate for about 4 years and was a very useful dependable car. I would have gone for the 508SW but went the SUV route instead. They are as reliable as the German makes now I think, and in some cases better looking, and a better buy. Depreciation is your friend for the private buyer.

Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - John F

Depreciation is your friend for the private buyer........

.......and your enemy thereafter, to be ground into oblivion by merely the passage of time.

Having to use my own money to buy cars, even when a percentage could be put against tax, and especially for sub 10k miles per annum use, it made sense to buy a decent quality three or four year old car which had depreciated to about a third or a quarter of its list price, and to keep it for as long as possible. Since acquiring a wi£e in 1980 I have bought only four cars for myself for a total cost of £27,650 and after forty years still have two of them, a TR7 DHC and Audi A8, which despite their age together are probably still worth the best part of £10k.

We can’t visit dealerships at the moment, but dealer teams are getting quite proficient at FaceTime/WhatsApp/Messenger video calls to show you cars virtually. Tell them what you put in the boot and a switched on sales exec will find something of equivalent size to put in there to give you an idea of scale.
Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - pd

Too early to tell on long term reliability but the last 508 was a decent car so no reason to see why this one won't be.

Depreciation wise I doubt it'll be great but also doubt it'll be a lot worse than any equivalent Ford etc.

I rather like them and rather liked the last one as well. Very underrated. At least your neighbours won't all have one.

Peugeot 508 SW - the new one - Avant

The trouble with relying on Facetime etc is that you might be very impressed with the interior of a Peugeot (and they do look good), but without a test drive you may not realise how much time you'll spend with your eyes off the road and your fingers prodding at a touchscreen.

Fords have touchscreens too but they're used, as they should be, just for 'info' and 'tainment'.

What’s different on the Peugeot that will have a driver spending a chunk of time prodding a touch screen?

The trouble with relying on Facetime etc is that you might be very impressed with the interior of a Peugeot (and they do look good), but without a test drive you may not realise how much time you'll spend with your eyes off the road and your fingers prodding at a touchscreen.

Fords have touchscreens too but they're used, as they should be, just for 'info' and 'tainment'.

This is a picture of the infotainment system on a 508, complete with physical buttons below, one of which appears to control the temperature and another on the next level down which appears to be to control the power of the heating/ventilation fan.

508hybrid_056.jpg

The silver ones are ‘shortcut’ buttons that take you straight to the relevant screen. The black ones below them are heated seats, demist, HRW and recirculate.
And people tend to forget that voice command works pretty well by pushing one button on the steering wheel.