What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Trilogy.

Would be good to see the Mazda 3 offered here with the 2.5 too.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/cx-5/first-driv...w

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Engineer Andy

Would be good to see the Mazda 3 offered here with the 2.5 too.

www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mazda/cx-5/first-driv...w

To be honest, I'm surprised that it has arrived in Europe at all (albeit in limited fashion before now just in the Mazda6 range-topping versions), given the bench-tested CO2 level is much higher than the 2.0 SA-X engine, which has about the same power (about 5% less) but around 15% less torque (I think, admitedly based on a quick Google search).

What I'm not sure is whether the (welcome) introduction of the 2.5 SA-G into UK spec cars is because we are now outside of the EU and thus possibly away from their corporate CO2 fines system or not (the government could have easily kept us in it or made an equivalent here). The change to the effective two-tier VED system for new cars in the UK may also have been a big factor, though it would only be really effective if we didn't be part of any corporate CO2 fines system.

Whatever the reason, the introduction of this engine in more Mazdas on sale in the UK is welcome. Hopefully this will encorage more car buyers to Mazdas (which whilst stylish, handling well and reliable [petrols], were not exactly 'zoom-zoom' any more) and Mazda to introduce the 2.5 SA-G to the Mazda3, and possibly the 2.5T, which has now arrived in North America and Down Under in that car, amongst other larger cars (mostly SUVs we don't get anyway like the CX-9).

Mazda have also said that the SA-X engine tech can be sacled up and down, though it appears its complexity makes it less of a profit-making endeavour than they perhaps had hoped - for the moment.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Senexdriver

If only Mazda would put turbos on some at least of their engines. I’d love a CX-5 petrol, but the performance of the UK petrol models is disappointing after the VAG turbo-engined models I’ve been driving for the bast 10 years. I saw a while ago that they had introduced a turbo petrol in the US so why not here? The CX-5 by all accounts is very underrated and I have a quiet admiration for Mazda - Diesel engines aside - but I won’t be one of their customers until they make cars more in line with the UK market trend.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - NowWheels

If only Mazda would put turbos on some at least of their engines. I’d love a CX-5 petrol, but the performance of the UK petrol models is disappointing after the VAG turbo-engined models I’ve been driving for the bast 10 years.

The one good thing to be said in favour of Mazda's non-turbo lineup is that at least they have not joined the list of manufacturers selling dodgy dodgy turbo-petrols like the VAG 1.5

If only Mazda would put turbos on some at least of their engines. I’d love a CX-5 petrol, but the performance of the UK petrol models is disappointing after the VAG turbo-engined models I’ve been driving for the bast 10 years. I saw a while ago that they had introduced a turbo petrol in the US so why not here?

For the reasons I gave above - the base engine itself has a far higher 'test bed' CO2 emission level than a similar performing (smaller capacity) turbocharged petrol engine. The 2.5 SA-G turbo is their 'performance' engine, not like the 1.5 TSI from VAG which lies, performance-wise, between the 2.0 and 2.5 SA-G non-turbo engines from Mazda.

They've shied away from small capacity turbo petrols because they thought the lightweight larger capacity naturally-aspirated engines give a real world mpg and emissions closer to the test bed version and perhaps they put less strain on the components (no turbo).

As I understand it, the US concentrates on different aspects of emissions than the EU/UK, so they can have larger engine capacity cars than here, noting they don't have corporate CO2 fines.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - mcb100
So far as any issue of post-Brexit relaxation of emissions targets is concerned, it’s as you were. Except for the average 95g/Km will have to come from UK registered cars only. No relying on an ultra-low emitting car sold in other markets to bring down an EU wide average.
So you’d have to assume that Mazda are happy with their calculations and projections as to where they are with their UK fleet to introduce a couple of higher emission vehicles.
Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - skidpan

If only Mazda would put turbos on some at least of their engines. I’d love a CX-5 petrol, but the performance of the UK petrol models is disappointing after the VAG turbo-engined models I’ve been driving for the bast 10 years.

Totally agree, nice cars with engines that are years behind most opposition.

Mazda also need to sort out the pricing of their spare tyres, the £450 I was quoted was over 4 times the £100 I paid Skoda and on that car it did not reduce the boot capacity. On the Mazda 6 and CX5 quite a bit of capacity was lost form an already smaller boot.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - badbusdriver

If only Mazda would put turbos on some at least of their engines. I’d love a CX-5 petrol, but the performance of the UK petrol models is disappointing after the VAG turbo-engined models I’ve been driving for the bast 10 years. I saw a while ago that they had introduced a turbo petrol in the US so why not here? The CX-5 by all accounts is very underrated and I have a quiet admiration for Mazda - Diesel engines aside - but I won’t be one of their customers until they make cars more in line with the UK market trend.

In the same Autocar magazine I referenced in a recent thread about the history of the company, there was also an article on the 10 best Mazda's to buy used. Among them was the CX7, which is a car I am aware of but never really looked at. But turns out the petrol version uses the same 256bhp 2.3 turbo as the 3 and 6 MPS, along with 4wd. Sounds fun, and, assuming you can find one, not that expensive!.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Trilogy.

BBD, Nowadays there's a CX-8 and a 9. Not good enough for the many badge snobs in the UK. www.mazda.com.au/cars/cx-9/

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - chris87
Mazda needs to lower its prices, by A LOT! When it’s cheaper to get a similar Volvo on finance, a proper luxury vehicle, not an aspiring premium candidate, you must wonder what’s going through the head of Hiroshima engineers.
Mazda needs to lower its prices, by A LOT! When it’s cheaper to get a similar Volvo on finance, a proper luxury vehicle, not an aspiring premium candidate, you must wonder what’s going through the head of Hiroshima engineers.

Since when has Volvo been a proper luxury vehicle?, haven't seen their Rolls Royce or Bentley rival myself............

BBD, Nowadays there's a CX-8 and a 9. Not good enough for the many badge snobs in the UK. www.mazda.com.au/cars/cx-9/

Not in the UK though, but I agree, UK buyers are badge obsessed (see above!) so wouldn't buy it.

Have you seen a Volvo lately? It looks like you haven’t..

Edited by chris87 on 10/02/2021 at 19:51

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - SLO76
Matches the real life economy of swmbo’s XC60 without the heavy, complex, costly to repair and likely less reliable turbo diesel motor. I wanted a CX5 2.0 Skyactiv but was sadly overruled by management on account of it not being posh enough.

Have you seen a Volvo lately? It looks like you haven’t..

Well obviously, I mean they are actually illegal in Aberdeenshire!

Joking aside, I thought we were talking about whether or not a Volvo is a proper luxury car, not what it looks like. But it does seem your perception of the brand is based solely on appearance.........

Looks have something to do with it, but that’s not what I was talking about. Volvo might have been a different kind of brand decades ago, but I’m talking about current models, as that’s what I’m comparing the newest generation Mazda against (pricewise). Volvo is up there with the likes of Lexus and Mercedes, just to name a few, while Mazda is not there yet (I drive the latest gen 6, I know). From that perspective, it’s idiotic to pay more for a Mazda, a direct competitor of cheaper brands such as VW, Vauxhall etc., than you would pay for an even larger/more expensive Volvo. The discounts they offer are too good to be true sometimes...

Edited by chris87 on 11/02/2021 at 07:38

Still a pointless comparison though, Mazda are not aiming for the same customers as Volvo. A Mazda is a far more dynamic car than a Volvo, not necessarily faster, but way more engaging and fun to drive. If Mazda are aiming for any other maker, it would be BMW or Alfa, certainly not Volvo.

Volvo are aimed at folk who want comfort and minimalist interior, more for Mercedes customers who want less show and bling. But also, to a degree, they are bought, not for their own virtues, but simply because it is different to an Audi, BMW or Merc.

That wasn’t my point. Why would you pay more for a Mazda that costs £30k when you can a car that costs £40k+ for less? The actual driving dynamics are irrelevant for most people, otherwise Subaru would have to be more expensive than a BMW.

Bottom line is that Mazda has inflated prices to the point they’re detached from reality and not based on anything but the aspiration to become premium one day. Get there first, charge after!
Lots of grumbles about the performance of Mazda petrol engines, but has anyone looked at performance figures versus competitors? I’m wondering if it’s actually more a case of the Mazda needing more proactive use of the gear lever to match its smaller, turbocharged cohort.
The 2.0 petrol doesn’t hit maximum power until 6000rpm and peak torque until 4000rpm, so could it be a case of them not being short of power but out of step with what we’re used to?
Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - kiss (keep it simple)

I have a 2nd generation Mazda6. It's not a bad performer, but you do have to use the gears if you want to make swift progress. Plenty of grunt from 3000rpm upwards.

I have a 2nd generation Mazda6. It's not a bad performer, but you do have to use the gears if you want to make swift progress. Plenty of grunt from 3000rpm upwards.

Have to agree but for us that was the issue. Having had turbo diesels and turbo petrols for over 20 years in our bigger cars having to be in the right gear for a fast overtake was a bit of a pain. Floor any of our turbo petrols at 2000 rpm and they simply take off running to over 6000 rpm if necessary (in 3rd that is about 30 mph to 90 mph). Makes overtakes easy whereas life with the Mazda we tried was harder work with more planning and gear changes needed, not for us.

But I would say you really needed 4000 rpm in the Mazda to see real action.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - moward

I think what you are saying is that for a lazy driver or one that isn’t au fait with the use of gears, a turbo helps cover up for the lack of driving skill. To be fair, this is probably the majority of drivers on the road today, who’s only wish is to get from A-B with the minimal amount of effort.

As I alluded to above, I have not driven a Gen2 6 but I owned a Mondeo in the past with the 2.0 Duratec petrol (basically a Mazda MZR clone as found in the Gen2 6). I would not have described it as fast and it definitely needed extra revs to get the best of it. It was completely reliable though.

The Skyactiv G in my current 6 is a different animal altogether, it would pull the old Duratec inside out. The only thing they have in common is a similar displacement. The Duratec/MZR is an oversquare design, the Skyactiv G is undersquare. In practice I find that the G has considerably more torque over a larger rev range giving a wide and flexible power band (from sub 1500 rpm to 6500). Rolling the car from standstill can be done simply by slipping out the clutch at idle rpm, something I would doubt could be done in a small capacity turbo where the turbo is not yet boosted. I should point out that I only have experience of the 165 variant, I’ve not driven any of the lower powered ones.

My biggest bugbear with any turbo engine I’ve tried is the lack of response. Whereas a NA engine responds instantly to a prod of the pedal, a turbo has to build up boost first before generating the required power. I appreciate that I am no doubt in the minority, but its something that I just don’t really gel with.

With respect, there is no right or wrong answer as to which is better between a larger N/A engine or a small turbo, they are simply different solutions to the same ultimate problem, how to extract the most useful work from the fuel that goes in. From what I can see, both philosophies achieve similar mpg judging from other posts here.

Perhaps we should all be grateful for choice, and that there are different products for everyone’s needs and wants. Once everything is powered by electric motors, there wont really be much left to discuss and compare.

Thanks for the discussion, goes some way to getting a dull WFH day in.

Regards,

M

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - pd

I very much doubt they'll sell any of these with a manual gearbox. A clutch is one of the things rapidly disappearing from the options list on anything much above family hatch size.

As for Volvo there is no doubt the badge has been on the rise in recent years and has a very different image from a few years ago. They keep having record years in terms of sales as well.

I very much doubt they'll sell any of these with a manual gearbox. A clutch is one of the things rapidly disappearing from the options list on anything much above family hatch size.

As for Volvo there is no doubt the badge has been on the rise in recent years and has a very different image from a few years ago. They keep having record years in terms of sales as well.

The 2.5T in the Mazda3 in the US is apparently only available as a TC auto.

I think what you are saying is that for a lazy driver or one that isn’t au fait with the use of gears, a turbo helps cover up for the lack of driving skill. To be fair, this is probably the majority of drivers on the road today, who’s only wish is to get from A-B with the minimal amount of effort.

I am not saying that at all and having drive manual cars for 47 years (only had an auto for 3 months I think I am pretty familiar withe use of gears and I certainly do not lack driving skills. I raced from 1989 to 2002 and then did track days until 2008, plenty f gear changes there. But I always built my engines to have a good spread of power and not have mega power over a very narrow band like many did. That enabled me to make fewer gear changes and since every time you change gear its time lost what I lost in power I more than made up by being able to stay on the power I had.

On the track a more relaxed drive resulted in being able to concentrate on things other than constantly changing gear such as getting your braking points spot on and the lines spot on, every 10th gained is an advantage, every 10th lost will be more difficult to get back. This also applies on the road. In the Leon I could drop form 6th to 5th and manage most A road overtakes whereas a car with a lack of low down power would need a drop of 2, possibly 3 gears to manage the overtake in the same time. That is far more stressful on the driver.

And yes I do want to get from A - B with the minimal effort.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Avant

'Relaxed' is a better word than 'lazy' and need not imply any lack of driving skill simply because one enjoys, as I do, a car with plenty of torque (whether manual or automatic).

Horses for courses I suppose, and there are clearly some people who enjoy cars where everything happens at the higher end of the rev range - like the series of Mini Coopers which SWMBO had and I never really liked, whereas, like Skidpan, I've had quite a few VAG cars which have all suited me well.

I think the point here is that with the new 2.5 engine Mazda may have nailed the criticism of their 2.0's lack of low-down grunt. Only a test-drive will tell, so hopefully in due course someone will take one and let us know.

Edited by Avant on 11/02/2021 at 16:10

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - bazza

I think it's less of a difference than this thread suggests, as to whether one has a big slug of torque available, unless one is pulling a heavy load and then yes I do agree and would specify a turbo for that purpose. And I guess it's all about driving style too. I'm quite happy to pootle along at less than 3000 rpm even in my Civic, which doesn't start really pulling until about 4500 or so and then it flies. But the number of times I need to or want to access the performance is so limited these days, I don't even think about it, even on my bike which can accelerate if I could hold onto it from 0 to 100mph in about 8 secs, I just can't be bothered! But I do admit I missed the torque of the pd when pulling up the Spanish side of the Pyrenees in the civic fully loaded, yes definitely noticeable then

Yes I concur, lazy was probably the wrong word. What I was really getting at is that the vast majority of drivers simply are not enthusiasts and care very little for flicking up and down gears, double declutching, blipping the throttle between down changes etc etc.

Skidpan, you seem to have taken my post somewhat personally, I can assure you that I was not directing it at anyone in particular on this board. The actual person I had in mind was my mother in law, who absolutely hates driving, yet still struggles on with a manual box with an asthmatic NA engine. Exactly the sort of person, that the effortless driving that a turbo engine with auto box, would suit down to the ground.

All I was wanting to get across was that different folk have different requirements from our vehicles and I’m glad that the folk on here are pleased with their own personal choices. That does not make someone else wrong for choosing differently. Perhaps in future, when a poster is looking for advice, we should extoll the virtues of our own vehicles, or those we have direct experience of, rather than resorting to attacking the ‘competition’ (for what’s its worth, I actually quite like the Suberb iv estate and wouldn’t rule out a future purchase if I could actually find a petrol one locally).

Thanks again for the discussion, it has been a somewhat more interesting and productive use of my tea break than usual, might have to drop back in tomorrow for more. Till then, stay safe.

Regards,

M

Skidpan, you seem to have taken my post somewhat personally, I can assure you that I was not directing it at anyone in particular on this board.

Why would I think you were referring to me? Would it be your post was directly after the one I mentioned that I liked the easier going way a turbo drove.

I actually quite like the Suberb iv estate and wouldn’t rule out a future purchase if I could actually find a petrol one locally

All Subperb iV's are petrol, petrol PHEV's to be more exact.

No it was because you quoted me directly in your post, then went on to explain how you are such a skilled driver, which gave me the impression your reply was aimed directly at me. If that isn't the case then please accept my apologies, I do not deliberately set out to cause annoyance.

Forgive my ignorance, I have gotten my wires crossed a bit (forgive the pun too), I though IV was a generation thing, like a Mark4 or some such, rather than a specific hybrid model. There's only one of these for sale locally and I can count on one hand the number of petrols under 3 years available in the country (NI), and pricing is not particularly reasonable. Choice isn't particularly great here at the best of times. How do you find living with yours day to day?

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Manatee

This is an odd one because the same person can be in both camps at different times; and even a car that needs lots of rpm to produce a decent percentage of its torque can often be driven in a relaxed manner.

I drive two automatics, a turbo diesel and a turbo petrol which really cover the relaxed driving situation. I can still enjoy driving them, and when I'm doing that I am still thinking about exactly where I want to point and place the car, managing my speed, keeping the car balanced and maintaining my observation.

On the other hand I have my toy, the MX-5. The torque is actually quite good for an unblown 1.5, but feels negligible when one has just been driving a turbo diesel. But the engine is wonderfully tractable and pulls smoothly between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, despite the fact that it is only a 30-50hp car in this band even at full throttle. On the flat and not in a hurry, it's very easy to pootle. Reality bites when a proper hill is encountered and when caught out I have inelegantly dropped 3 gears more than once. Maximum power comes at 7000rpm, and peak torque at nearly 5,000. It's great fun and really doesn't need any any more power.

What doesn't work so well with an engine like this is a lazy 3 speed auto! For 12 years we had a Civic 7th gen 1.6 auto, nominally 4 speed but really 3 plus o/d. Lovely VTEC engine but it did need a few rpm. Opportunistic overtakes were out, with little acceleration usually available without waiting for the gearbox to wake up, have brief go in 3rd, give up on that and drop to 2nd, then with a screaming engine begin its campaign by which time you'd be in the middle of the next bend. We still loved that car, once we knew its foibles.

I'd have a go with the CX-5 2.5 I think. It's probably fun. But I like an auto for towing.

Edited by Manatee on 11/02/2021 at 17:43

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - bazza

Very interesting point about "flexibility". My 1.9 diesel was fine once above about 1500rpm and the turbo spinning but below that there was a big hole understandably in the torque curve, which needed a downchange. This meant that trickling along needed care The Civic by comparison will pull from absurdly low rpm in 6th, around 1000rpm, smoothly but of course with no vigour. I've also noted the same in my parents 1.0 ecoboost, it's very intolerant of being off boost, in the higher gears, not a problem if one is concentrating but it's there. Of course, once on boost in the right gear it flies but one can tell the difference in flexibility between it and something larger engined non turbo.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Avant

if you want the best of all worlds, go for a BMW non-turbo straight-six. Strong, even pull all the way through the rev range.

I don't think they make these without a turbo any more.

No, but Mazda is working on that. Give it 2 years and it will be on the market.
Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Manatee
No, but Mazda is working on that. Give it 2 years and it will be on the market.

The auto? With a modern efficient automatic it should be good, assuming Mazda sticks to epicyclics with torque converters.

How do you find living with yours day to day?

This is the 3rd 1.4 TSi we have owned but obviously the first Hybrid and the first auto. The first was a Seat Leon with 140 PS and that was without doubt the quickest "road" car I had owned (including 2 Golf GTi's). Ours was the lowly SE without the sports suspension but the only difference that made was a better ride (aided no doubt by the 55 profile tyres - not the 45's of the sporty versions). Averaged 45 mpg (calculated) over the almost 4 years we had it. Only changed because we needed a bigger car.

That was why we got the Superb. First thought was a Leon Estate but they had not added any rear seat space, just a huge boot so no good for us. Then we looked at and drove an Octavia estate and just like previous ones we had driven it was incredibly boomy form the rear of the car. Tried an Octavia hatch which was fine but the dealer had been given notification that morning that the order book was closed pending the spring update and no stock cars (in the country) matched our spec. Then we moved onto the Superb. At first we thought it too big but when we priced it up to the spec we wanted it worked out quite a bit less than the Octavia hatch. We had one for a morning and whilst it lacked the instant pick up of the Leon (blame the extra weight) on dual carriageways, fast A roads and B class country roads it did not drive like a huge car. We ordered one and never regretted it. Over almost 4 years 45 mpg (calculated) just like the Leon despite the extra weight, but it is more aerodynamic.

Time to change and we looked and drove cars from Volvo, VW, Toyota etc etc and came to the conclusion that it had to be another Superb but an Auto this time (all cars will soon be autos so lets get used to them). Thought more about a 2 litre TSi but our local dealer had a cancelled fleet order (10 cars) of Superb iV's (8 hatch, 2 estate) at great prices. Loved the drive and ordered it there and then. We got another hatch and gt the only one with a rear wiper, result. So far its brilliant. Spread sheet seems to suggest that on combined fuel its averaging about 55 mpg over 1600 miles but experience with the first 2 TSi's show they improve over the first 10,000 miles. This is without doubt now the quickest road car I have owned.

if you want the best of all worlds, go for a BMW non-turbo straight-six. Strong, even pull all the way through the rev range.

They are without doubt a very pleasant experience from the passenger seat but the 2 have travelled in did not seem that quick. A contractor I used bought a Alpina B3 after being disappointed with his 330 and was disappointed with that as well. He went back to an A4 Avant.

On the other hand I have my toy, the MX-5. The torque is actually quite good for an unblown 1.5, but feels negligible when one has just been driving a turbo diesel. But the engine is wonderfully tractable and pulls smoothly between 2,000 and 3,000 rpm, despite the fact that it is only a 30-50hp car in this band even at full throttle. On the flat and not in a hurry, it's very easy to pootle. Reality bites when a proper hill is encountered and when caught out I have inelegantly dropped 3 gears more than once. Maximum power comes at 7000rpm, and peak torque at nearly 5,000

My toy as most will know is my Caterham 7. The current car (had a previous one) started life in 1992 as a road legal competition car and was fitted with a bored and stroked Ford x-flow (1860cc) which maxed out at about 175 bhp and pulled to 8500 rpm (did see 9300 once). Max speed was about 120 mph which equated to about 7800 rpm, at that speed air resistance overcame the power it had.

In about 2001 I fitted a 2 litre Zetec from a Mk 1 Mondeo. Bog standard engine with just a pair of cams to add a bit of top end with fueling through a pair of Webers and a Weber Marelli ignition ECU. Cost peanuts compared to the x-flow and was actually faster over a lap despite being heavier, it did have much better torque. That engine was spiced up when I stopped competing and turned to trackdays. Bored to 2.1 litres, stage 3 head mods and fuel injected, power was about 205 bhp. Still cost peanuts since I used off the shelf parts. Went like the clappers until an oilpump/filter malady which pretty much wrecked the bottom end.

Bought a brand new crate Focus 2 litre Zetec direct from Ford for about £800 and sold the bits I did not need for about £300 on e-bay. Sold the usable bits off the wrecked engine (cams, head, block, pistons) for about £500 so the net cost was £0.00. Fitted it into the car with totally standard internals the only mods being the sump (essential to get it into the car), flywheel/clutch (essential to mate it to a Type 9 gearbox), exhaust (essential for obvious reasons), induction system (as exhaust) and vernier cam pulleys (just because I had them and they look good). All these bits were used on the previous engine so no cost there (this time).

Once in a mapped it felt really strong at the bottom and midrange but was clearly down at the top end when compared to the tuned engine (but it was still b***** quick in a 600kg car). Did eventually get it on a RR Dyno and the figures were pretty much as suggested by several specialists on the web, hardly surprising since they also used bog standard engines from Ford as a base with similar inductions, exhausts etc. At 3000 rpm 70 bhp (122 lbs) peak torque 152 lbs from 4500 to 5500 rpm and at 7000 rpm (where I had set the limiter) it was 177 bhp and still rising (slightly), that is more than the race x-flow. That was more power at a higher rpm than the others on the web but I had bigger throttle bodies (45mm not 40mm) and a bigger bore exhaust 1.75" primaries and 2.25" silencer, they had 1.625" primaries and a 2" silencer.

Its totally tractable down to 1500 rpm and will pull cleanly in 5th with some gusto. At 3000 rpm it starts to really take off, at 4500 rpm its time to hold on.

Then there is the mpg. With the x-flow in on the road I would see about 16 mpg on a good day using 98 octane leaded or unleaded with additives. With the current engine its averaged about 36 mpg over the last 3 summers using boggo 95 RON petrol.

You can have some serious fun on A roads using no more than 3000 rpm and staying legal (3000 in 5th is exactly 60mph)

No wishes to spend more on the engine, purely by luck its perfect as it is for use on the road.

Thanks for the feedback, 55 mpg sounds pretty decent in real world conditions, is that urban or extra urban miles?

My current commute is almost entirely extra urban, 25 miles each way with the first 10 miles on fast sweeping b road and the rest dual carriageway. Hooning along early in the morning when the roads are deserted is sometimes the most fun thing I get to do that day. No harm in chasing the red line from time to time :-) .

However at the risk of sounding like I’m completely contradicting myself from before, a change in job means I will be based in the city in future, with a lot more urban driving. Hence, dare I say it, my shopping list for next time may feature *gasp automatics with turbo engines, as these are almost certainly better suited to this usage profile. This leads to my particular interest in hybrids.

I have had the opportunity to drive a IS300 hybrid before. Very smooth and easy to get on with a satisfying surge of torque from standstill from the electric motor. Naturally this uses Toyotas acclaimed HSD hybrid system which impressed me greatly. Mechanically very simple with no clutch or gearbox to speak of, should stand the test of time even in the hands of a less than sympathetic driver. It looks like the superb hybrid still retains a DSG type gearbox, which is a bit unfortunate as the potential weakness of clutches is still in there. I’m curious as to where in the system the electric motor is fitted in. Prob a research topic for a rainy lunchtime.

With a young family, and all the associated paraphernalia that comes with it, I need a larger car. And large estate car hybrids seem to be very few on the ground. I know of a Mondeo Hybrid (that the press don’t speak well of, yet owners reviews on autotrader say the opposite), I think Kia might do an Optima hybrid, and then there’s the Superb and its stablemate Passat. Not a large selection to choose from. Although if Mazda’s hotly rumoured next gen 6 with RWD and straight 6 engine comes to market (and in particular the UK), I could probably find myself swinging that way again too.

‘Mechanically very simple with no clutch or gearbox to speak of, should stand the test of time even in the hands of a less than sympathetic driver. It looks like the superb hybrid still retains a DSG type gearbox, which is a bit unfortunate as the potential weakness of clutches is still in there.’

I fear you are getting your transmissions mixed up. Toyota/Lexus doesn’t use a DSG type gearbox - it’s actually an epicyclic geartrain that mimics a CVT. There are no clutches to wear, in reality very few moving parts. A FWD Toyota utilises 2 electric motors working in conjunction with a petrol engine.
Edit: Just realised when you said ‘superb’ you meant Superb, and not superb when referring to the superb Toyota hybrid system.

Edited by mcb100 on 12/02/2021 at 21:17

Haha whoops, look at the confusion a lack of capitalisation can cause :-D.

I have a good understanding of how the Toyota hybrid system works and I have to say that I think it is the work of genius. Clever yet very simple at the same time.

Mazda CX-5 gains 2.5 litre engine at last - Metropolis.

I find it quite ironic that Mazda are now pursuing the 'no replacement for displacement' route. Back in the late 90s to early 2000s they developed engines with Suzuki, ranging in 2.0, 2.5 and 2.7, in Suzuki land it is called the Suzuki 'H' family of engines, i am not sure what Mazda called it. I heard towards the end only Suzuki wanted to keep increasing displacement, finishing with the 2.7 which (to my knowledge) Mazda never used. Shame as it's a cracking engine, sounds fantastic under load for its size and whisper quiet at idle. Popular in light aircraft too apparently.

Although 2.5 is actually not a big engine, it feels big for a non-premium Japanese manufacturer, kind of like alot of them along with the Koreans did with v6s in the 90s albeit this is straight 4. Mitsubishi being the exception with their 2.6 petrol unit but the v6 shoguns were a nice alternative if you didn't need to run it on a farm.

Someone is going to come along and say 2.5 is big for a Japanese car, but then we have Lexus who are still selling us a 5.0 v8.

Glad to see Mazda back in the game, albeit I do not like 4 cylinder engines..

Thanks for the feedback, 55 mpg sounds pretty decent in real world conditions, is that urban or extra urban miles?

The 55 mpg is in mixed motoring. For the once a week shopping trip (about 11 mile round trip) I make sure that there is sufficient battery since its about 1/2 the cost of petrol. On the longer trips we have been making (about a 75 mile round trip on average) I make sure we have a full battery before we set off. I set it to hybrid mode and let it sort it out itself but if it appears that we will have excess battery left when we get home I change it to battery. If we do run out of battery it simply changes itself to hybrid.

We did one longer trip just before Christmas (wife needed emergency dental treatment and her NHS dentist is about 60 miles away) and after the trip there on Hybrid/battery we had about 2% left for the return trip so it was pretty much like driving an automatic TSi Superb. It was a cold, wet and busy trip on the motorway, the manual Superb would probably managed about 46 mpg max. The PHEV surprised me by doing an indicated 51 mpg which can only get better as it beds in. Well pleased.

It looks like the superb hybrid still retains a DSG type gearbox, which is a bit unfortunate as the potential weakness of clutches is still in there. I’m curious as to where in the system the electric motor is fitted in. Prob a research topic for a rainy lunchtime.

It does but its a gearbox unigue to the PHEV. The DQ400e 6 speeds and 3 wet clutches with the motor/charger/starter between the engine and box. It has a torque capacity way over the actual car (which has 400Nm) unlike the sometimes troublesome DQ200 which is fitted to the 1.4/1.5 TSi's. That has a capacity of 250Nm, the engine produces 250Nm thus its on the limit (and may tune the engines). Reminds me of the early V6 Sierras which used a lightly modified version of the Type 9 5 speed box used in the 4 cylinder models (which began life as a Type E 4 speed box in the Mk 3 Cortina). It was replaced by a much stronger box, the MT75, in about 1988 in all manual Sierras except the 2WD Cosworth (always used a Borg Warner box) and the 1.8 CVH powered ones (they retained the Type 9 but they were mostly used by reps on the motorway and rarely gave issues).

Edited by skidpan on 13/02/2021 at 09:53