What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Kia Soul - Diesel Cold start - tourantass

Hi. On these really cold mornings the car is taking a fair few turns of the engine to start, I suspect either the heater plugs or relay..however the first problem is despite much googling I cannot locate the heater plugs, so I can at least test them..Has anyone any ideas..I know where they usually are located but I cant even find four wires to follow that may help locate them..any help would be much appreciated?

Kia Soul - Diesel Cold start - mcb100
I know it’s not a solution to any electrical issues, but have you tried cycling the heater plugs two or three times before attempting to start the engine? Wait for glow plug light to go off, ignition off, ignition on until glow plug lights go off again, repeat and then try starting the engine.
It may just give you a short term solution.
Kia Soul - Diesel Cold start - elekie&a/c doctor
Modern common rail Diesel engines are not totally reliant on glow plugs for cold start. I would firstly make sure the battery is up to spec and connections are good . It’s important that the engine cranks over at a good speed . You can check the glow plugs from the relay in the under bonnet fuse box . Use a multimeter to check their resistance. Don’t be tempted to put 12 volts to the glow plugs , a lot of Aisian Diesel engines use a low voltage system . Some are 5 volts . Lastly , I would think if a glow plug were faulty, the eml or glow light would illuminate.
Kia Soul - Diesel Cold start - Bromptonaut

I'd also suspect a diesel with inadequate pre-heat would run rough for the first few seconds.

IDI engines were particularly prone to this but ISTR by common rail Xantia was prone occasionally.

Kia Soul - Diesel Cold start - tourantass

Hi Thanks for the replies, I have tried the on off cycles which didnt appear to make any difference, Its just as well i couldnt locate the heater plugs, I was intending to disconect them then “flash” 12 Volt to see if they were dead....it would appear things have moved on from my Peugeot 504 diesel days, I will get the battery checked and cranking speed, then go from there...Thanks again