What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Trilogy.

I've never owned a black car and have no intention of doing so. Only had one white car and two silver or grey, albeit second hand. Lives should be full of colour.

If colour reflects personality most buyers of new cars are a dull lot. www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/grey-was-...0

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Sofa Spud

I never really liked white for cars and silver and grey are dull, I agree.

However black is a flattering colour for most cars - especially important thee days when car styling is going through a bad patch.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Alby Back
I would have no problem buying a wacky colour ( if it suited the car ) except for the boring reality that it might adversely affect the future resale value.

For example, the Dusters we were discussing on another thread look great ( in my opinion anyway ) in that sort of metallic orange colour they do. But I'd bet grey ones sell better second hand.

Neither blue or red are wacky.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - catsdad

I have a black Golf. Bought used and I don’t really care about colour. In my company car days I usually chose blues or dark greys. The brightest colour I ever had was on my Mk1 Mondeo which was available in a metallic blue green that appealed at the time but dated very quickly.

I agree black can be flattering if there is some other highlight trim but with the current move away from any bright trim elsewhere (roof rails, side trim, bumper insert) they can look very slabby. Worst one I have seen is a Range Rover. Hea***rse or drug dealer? I can’t decide.

As for maintenance black is not easy, especially in hard water areas where water spots are an issue.

Edited by catsdad on 15/01/2021 at 10:40

However black is a flattering colour for most cars - especially important thee days when car styling is going through a bad patch.

PITA to keep clean and the worst colour on a hot day. Black cars are only suitable for one journey.

We have one silver, one bright red and one bright blue car. Not that it matters, our cars pretty much only get washed if there's a solstice or the clocks have changed, so they're mostly brown a lot of the time!
Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Andrew-T

I never really liked white for cars and silver and grey are dull, I agree. However black is a flattering colour for most cars - especially important thee days when car styling is going through a bad patch.

Time was when most black cars were he@rses. Just now the common colours seem to be solid black, white or scarlet. In earlier decades most cars seemed to be some shade of 'tin' colour (there were apparently dozens of variants, if not scores), and in the late seventies a statistical survey showed that the most visible colours were white and bright yellow, which interested some makers for a while. One of my Maxis was in buttercup.

Colour fashions come and go. I sometimes wonder whether the various trendy shade names from each maker are actually all the same from one maker of paint.

I've never owned a black car either, but almost any other shade on the spectrum.

Edited by Andrew-T on 15/01/2021 at 12:01

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Bolt

I've never owned a black car either, but almost any other shade on the spectrum.

If I had my way all my cars would have been black, but as the other half doesn't really like it and they are difficult to find on cars I want, I have to put up with what I can find, anything but Green which I hate

my new to me car is a nice Blue which is the colour I managed to find I really like, most others were either grey, white or silver, or bluey green which I didn`t really like, but nothing much any good around at the time,

when I look for cars they are mostly rubbish and asking top prices, so it takes me ages to find a good car

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - skidpan

Black cars (or any dark car for that matter) look dreadful 9especially in the sun) once some unskilled muppet has been at them with a power polisher plus they have a bad habit of showing every rain spot. Generally they only look good for a few minutes.

That is why we tend to buy silver or white. Not really original but they always look good. The only exceptions in recent times have been the first Superb and the Mini both of which were a mid grey.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - UCB
My wife favours black cars, however they are a pain to keep clean and seem to show every scratch and mark more than other colours. Silver is easiest to keep clean but doesn’t polish up so well. My current Octavia estate is Race blue which suits it. White has been popular for a few years now but imo some cars look hideous in white especially large SUV’s. Time was when white was only for plod and vans!
Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - mcb100

A little bit of a chicken and egg situation, I'd have thought. Demand for silvers/greys has meant that dealers have been willing to hold stocks of them at the expense of a factory order for something a little more adventurous.

if you want a car quickly, you'll take what's in stock or readily available, which prompts manufacturers to hold stocks of more of that colour because they sell well...

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - madf

I drove in South Africa for two years.

I has a silver car. Closed temperatures inside it could reach ^_C in midday sun.

Black vinyl melted and leather seats were impossible to sit on.

Black cars were a no no. Unless you has a chauffeur and covered parking (see African Heads of State)

And they are less safe as difficult to see on badly lit country roads. (half my driving in summer when beekeeping is on such roads.)

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Theophilus

I like blue cars and last summer passed on my attractive (to my eyes!) blue Toyota Verso to son-in-law and ordered online a Honda CR-V Hybrid in "Cosmic Blue". I viewed it on the web and in the Honda brochure and thought it looked good (didn't get an opportunity to see "in the metal" as I've been shielding).

The car was duly delivered (bought from dealer 160 miles away) late in the day, and I checked it over for any imperfections but couldn't really judge the colour.

In day-light the next day I was surprised to discover that the car looked to be black - or at the least a very dark grey - and I actually contacted the sales manager to say that I suspected that the wrong car had been delivered to me. I was assured that it was definitely the paint colour I had ordered - but remained unconvinced until I found the paint code on the vehicle and confirmed that it matched the specified code for "Cosmic Blue".

Almost 6 months on it still looks black to me (and to my family) although I might concede that it could be described as a dark gunmetal grey - fortunately I am very happy with the car in all other respects!

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Bolt

Almost 6 months on it still looks black to me (and to my family) although I might concede that it could be described as a dark gunmetal grey

I looked at one some months ago and liked it, but it depends on the light and angle you look at it, ie, it looked to me black with a hint of blue, but the paint looks different at various angles....imo, nice though..

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - alan1302

I've never owned a black car and have no intention of doing so. Only had one white car and two silver or grey, albeit second hand. Lives should be full of colour.

If colour reflects personality most buyers of new cars are a dull lot. www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/grey-was-...0

What colour is your car?

What colour is your car?

Azurite blue. When I was looking for it I wouldn't consider, black/white/silver/flat red. Really wanted tourmaline green but am very happy with the colour I have. Same colour inside and out as this. www.w124.co.uk/carsforsale.php?page=detail&id=...0

Edited by Trilogy. on 15/01/2021 at 16:15

What colour is your car?

Azurite blue. When I was looking for it I wouldn't consider, black/white/silver/flat red. Really wanted tourmaline green but am very happy with the colour I have. Same colour inside and out as this. www.w124.co.uk/carsforsale.php?page=detail&id=...0

That is just lovely Trilogy ! Lucky man. I've got a younger version, 2016 model, ( last iteration of the "old" style ) but if I can convince myself that it's a good idea, I shall try to keep it for a very long time. Even if it stops being my "main" car at some point.
Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Andrew-T

What colour is your car?

Azurite blue.

Interestingly, when I bought my Pug 207SW twelve years ago, the dealer was offering one in black and another in Neisha blue (a light ultramarine shade). As I didn't want a black car - but more importantly because the blue one was a grand cheaper - we chose blue. No regrets, and it's easier to find in car parks.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - alan1302

What colour is your car?

So dark blue? I was hoping for something more exciting! LOL

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Engineer Andy

What is a 'good' colour really depends on the car, and as you say, it reflects the personality of the owner to some degree.

I've seen the same colour on cars in the same sector, one that is suited very well, the other certainly not, yet both cars from different makes have roughly the same performance, handling capabilities, size, even some similar design cues.

Cars and colours I like that go well together (that I've seen):

Fast Fords in medium metallic blue with a centre white stripe. The 'Starsky & Hutch' car and colours.

Suzuki Swift Sport (the previous gen - the current one looks a little 'bloated'): black body with a burgundy roof. Nice

The latest (expensive) range-topping Mazda red on any in the range.

1st Gen Honda Civic Type R is red or black.

Jag sports cars in British Racing Green (I owned a similar coloured Micra, although it was metallic). Especially e-Types.

Nothing wrong with an all (exterior) black car IMHO, as long as the interior complements it with other colours. I'd never buy a beige or brown coloured car though. Visions of BL cars with vinyl roofs that leaked.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - primus 1

Remember the ltd edition harlequin polo..? careful what you wish for

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - badbusdriver

I'd never buy a beige or brown coloured car though. Visions of BL cars with vinyl roofs that leaked.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure the colour played no part in why they leaked...........!

Probably quite sort after now.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Ethan Edwards

I've been saying this for years. I drive past the Aston Martin dealers in Brentwood quite a lot . Its a sea of dull, greys browns blacks etc. Dull dull dull. Surely owning an Aston isn't like buying a Fridge. It's got to be a fun purchase. So why don't the colours reflect that? I just bought a Ignis ( doesn't appear to be an Aston) and I chose a pale green metallic. They call it Tough Khaki Pearl I think. Its nice, not boring. I think I may be endorsing that Katie Price. She bought an Aston and had it Barbie pink. Ok tasteless but at least it was fun. We need people to buy orange Daytona yellow, Ferrari Red etc. Not depressing grays..

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Engineer Andy

As a former K11 Micra owner (dark green), Nissans' version that was simultaneously purple, pink and brown/gold was nearly as bad. Whatever angle you looked at the car, it was hiddeous.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Metropolis.
In fairness, so are most 2nd hand buyers, so the cycle continues
Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Ted66

Black does show scratches but looks good when clean. Seems few less new silver cars these days than there used to be but white is now popular. As you say, fashion changes.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - Ethan Edwards

People who buy Black or White cars will spend a huge amount of time cleaning.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - expat

More expensive cars tend to come in dark shades and small sporty types have brighter colours. My wife prefers white cars because they stand out against the grey road better making them safer and because they are cooler in summer.

When buying secondhand an unpopular colour reduces the price. My daily driver is a metallic gold and it was cheaper than other similar cars in more popular colours. Suits me. I just want the best deal.

Most buyers of new cars are a dull lot - _

When buying secondhand an unpopular colour reduces the price. My daily driver is a metallic gold and it was cheaper than other similar cars in more popular colours. Suits me. I just want the best deal.

I have always bought whatecer is available when I have go serious about buying.

The Sportage is silver, that's what was available. would have liked the blue or red, but not available in the trim i wanted, and a lot more expensive for the next trim which also had larger wheels.