What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
More technology not needed, not working - Trilogy.

And this is a Mercedes. What's wrong with dials?

twitter.com/AutoPap/status/1335551713961529346

More technology not needed, not working - Bolt

And this is a Mercedes. What's wrong with dials?

twitter.com/AutoPap/status/1335551713961529346

Maybe something to do with the amount of info that can be displayed from the Computers on board, information displayed from problems found and other info would be difficult to display on a dash with old style dials, so its being done away with in favour of cheaper LCD/OLED displays with much higher resolution

there is also talk of being able to install games on the dash and other apps for other info of your choice

also check this out, doubt anyone will like this either

Mercedes and Microsoft team up for virtual car maintenance - Business Insider

More technology not needed, not working - Falkirk Bairn

Disconnect the car battery for 10 mins.

Reconnect and keep your fingers crossed

More technology not needed, not working - badbusdriver

Maybe something to do with the amount of info that can be displayed from the Computers on board, information displayed from problems found and other info would be difficult to display on a dash with old style dials, so its being done away with in favour of cheaper LCD/OLED displays with much higher resolution

there is also talk of being able to install games on the dash and other apps for other info of your choice

That is certainly a factor, but it is also simply about appealing to the target audience, the 'smartphone' generation. They do like their shiny toys, and as well as getting more info on the screen, it is also configurable. So you can have info laid out in the way you want. Though I do suspect that after a few weeks toying with it, it would then just be left.

As for games, you can already play games on the Tesla's display, including driving games where the cars steering wheel and pedals are used to control the car on the screen, which would help pass the time while charging!.

Not sure if you can actually play games on the Honda e, but you can certainly have a virtual fish tank or the image of a Japanese garden, which presumably would help with your zen if stuck in a traffic jam!.

That is certainly a factor, but it is also simply about appealing to the target audience, the 'smartphone' generation. They do like their shiny toys, and as well as getting more info on the screen, it is also configurable. So you can have info laid out in the way you want. Though I do suspect that after a few weeks toying with it, it would then just be left.

As for games, you can already play games on the Tesla's display, including driving games where the cars steering wheel and pedals are used to control the car on the screen, which would help pass the time while charging!.

Not sure if you can actually play games on the Honda e, but you can certainly have a virtual fish tank or the image of a Japanese garden, which presumably would help with your zen if stuck in a traffic jam!.

You added what I didn`t have time to, but yes you can add a games console to it and play several games while standing waiting to charge.

I gather it goes online for multiplayer as well but not sure how true that is, though I expect the Merc will have that due to Microsoft input on screen/windows run, imo, thats going too far having virtualization repairs, but Mercs imo, are always trying to be flash but its another way to make a fortune or lose it depending on system reliability?

More technology not needed, not working - Engineer Andy

Given how buggy Windows can be, I wouldn't want to have that in my car.

Disconnect the car battery for 10 mins.

Reconnect and keep your fingers crossed

The new car version of CTRL+ALT+DEL?

More technology not needed, not working - daveyjp

I was with a colleague the other week who has a 20 reg Kia. Since new he had issues with the infotainment screen turning itself off.

After 5 visits to the dealership they eventually did some work other than plugging it into a computer and finding nothing wrong. They took apart the car and found a cable had been routed wrong and was being squeezed, hence the problem.

With more electronics expect more of the same.

More technology not needed, not working - John F

The DVLA could do with a bit more technology. Last week, after passing its final MoT (yippee!) I SORNed my TR7 for the winter - first time I have ever done so. The refund process consists of getting someone to print something on a piece of paper, then employing someone to bring it from their office many miles away to my home address.

There is more. I then either have to employ someone to take this piece of paper from my home to another office building, or make an unnecessary journey myself. For many years I have paid my VED on line. It is about time a box could be ticked during the on line SORN process for refunds to return to the on line account where they came from.

More technology not needed, not working - Terry W

I am old enough to remember a time when a decent car information system was a full set of chrome bezel Smiths gauges.

But plugging in a dashboard screen with one data plug is hugely better than the traditional mess of wiring and failed earths that suppported a traditional instrument cluster. It is also cheaper to produce, quicker to install, and far more flexible in function.

In reality, aside from a speedometer, there is little need for an instrument display these days. So quite reasonably the screen could be used for infotainment or games.

The car systems would be entirely capable of monitoring all key attributes - oil pressure, fuel, lighting, wipers, brake, steering, gearbox etc etc. It could issue a verbal warning, screen message etc to highlight any issue.

There is little need for any switch gear - simple speech recognition software would suffice - "turn on lights", "indicate left", "Radio 4", "open window" etc.

.s

More technology not needed, not working - edlithgow

There is little need for any switch gear - simple speech recognition software would suffice - "turn on lights", "indicate left", "Radio 4", "open window" etc.

.s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAu-DDlINs

More technology not needed, not working - Andrew-T

But plugging in a dashboard screen with one data plug is hugely better than the traditional mess of wiring and failed earths that suppported a traditional instrument cluster. It is also cheaper to produce, quicker to install, and far more flexible in function.

Much of the wiring is still there, but just from the scattered sensors to the ECU or its satellites. Not to the back of the dash, which may be an improvement.

More technology not needed, not working - Sparrow

It makes one wonder if the long winded approach is intended to allow them to have your money fir a few days longer. Every little helos the Exchequer. I wouldn't put it past them.

By the way, it is now possible to pay in cheques using the mobile banking app, which saves one extra journey.

More technology not needed, not working - pd

I have sympathy with manufacturers here. The reality is that if your car dash does not look or work like a smartphone or a tablet the car will not sell. Peroid.

So, they have to do it even if I suspect some of the engineers themselves would prefer a speedo and a rev counter plus a couple of warning lights.

The reality is ... Peroid.

That must be new variety of operating system ? :-)

More technology not needed, not working - Steveieb

My friends Renault Kadjer had so many problems with the infotainment system she tried to reject the car but the dealer refused.

Heard that the units are so troublesome the dealers are having to stock spare screens in because its such a regular problem . And at £1000 a time !

Most instrument clusters have had just the one small mutli-plug for 20 years or more even if they look very conventional. They're all CAN Bus or development of.

More technology not needed, not working - madf

My friends Renault Kadjer had so many problems with the infotainment system she tried to reject the car but the dealer refused.

Heard that the units are so troublesome the dealers are having to stock spare screens in because its such a regular problem . And at £1000 a time !

They are French..

More technology not needed, not working - Theophilus

They are French..

At least the French still have a car manufacturing industry!

More technology not needed, not working - alan1302

They are French..

So do we in the UK...for now!

They are French..

And how much of that is because their government pays manufacturers 'incentives' to set up shop or stay there, or has laws saying you can't sack workers because they are beholden to unions? All that does is incentive corruption, inefficiency, waste and bad management.

That said, the UK has a long history of poor management in the car industry. We only learned better when the Japanese took over. Most UK investors like dead certs and will rarely back such large investment projects, and car firms haven't been that for decades now.

Investors also like making a quick buck, as seemingly do many entrepreneurs and company directors, who prefer to make a personal fortune and sell out rather than run something for the long haul.

That happened at a former company I worked for, who was the No.2 in the UK and whose directors sold out to a US firm, made a nice packet of money personally, then things started to slide big time, and their reputation and staff morale suffered greatly. They only are still a big player because the US owners kept buying other firms. They're just another firm now.

Companies that don't know their market, customers and staff rarely do well over the long term. IMHO, the current fad of cars with huge amounts of tech that seemingly hasn't been finished testing will end, and likely in tears for those cutting too many corners and treating their customers like carp.

>>Heard that the units are so troublesome the dealers are having to stock spare screens

French electrical/electronics gremlins strike again. It used to be after a few years that problems developed - brand new + problems has moved problems up the scale for avoiding French cars.

I very much doubt any of these units are French, German or anything else particularly related to the nationality of the manufacturer.

These sort of sub-units are usually made by various third parties all over the world. A lot tend to be made in places like Thailand.

>>Heard that the units are so troublesome the dealers are having to stock spare screens

French electrical/electronics gremlins strike again. It used to be after a few years that problems developed - brand new + problems has moved problems up the scale for avoiding French cars.

China is mass producing screens at such a rate even the main TV makers are avoiding them due to failure rate, while the main tv makers look at new tech to replace what we have....

Sounds like my assertion that car manufacturers are deliberately sending products to market with minimal testing (and using us as beta testers) in order to either 'be the first' or keep up with the opposition seems to be true.

Ironically, if the faulty electronics were removed from the equation, cars would be very reliable, safe and long-lasting - and far more environmentally friendly as a result. Imagine how much CO2 is produced because of numerous trips to the dealer to get something fixed, plus all that produced by replacements having to be redesigned, made, shipped over and fitted - often several times.

And apart from one anomolous survey, makes with the most tech (like Tesla and the luxury sports brands) have the most problems in this area and end up at the bottom of the reliabilty charts. Don't any of them remember the K.I.S.S. principle?

Sounds like my assertion that car manufacturers are deliberately sending products to market with minimal testing (and using us as beta testers) in order to either 'be the first' or keep up with the opposition seems to be true.

Ironically, if the faulty electronics were removed from the equation, cars would be very reliable, safe and long-lasting - and far more environmentally friendly as a result. Imagine how much CO2 is produced because of numerous trips to the dealer to get something fixed, plus all that produced by replacements having to be redesigned, made, shipped over and fitted - often several times.

And apart from one anomolous survey, makes with the most tech (like Tesla and the luxury sports brands) have the most problems in this area and end up at the bottom of the reliabilty charts. Don't any of them remember the K.I.S.S. principle?

Apart from Lexus whose cars are always at or near the top of reliability tables..

Lexus & Daihatsu + the parent Toyota - taxi drivers know their cars as well as the streets.

More technology not needed, not working - KB.

What Daihatsu would that be that the taxi drivers favour then?

Daihatsu taxi?

tinyurl.com/y3g5opfw

More technology not needed, not working - KB.

Mmmm. I think my point is proven.

More technology not needed, not working - kiss (keep it simple)

Most electronic systems suffer from either poor connections or software glitches. It costs money to do these jobs properly, so it's really all down to economics. Having a single display reduces the number of connections that can fail, but it should be possible to replace it easily thus cutting down on labour costs.Mass production should also lower the unit price eventually.

I remember in the early1970's by Grandad's Saab 99 blew 2 headlamp bulbs due to a faulty alternator. The H4 bulbs were a shocking £5 apiece. They are still £5 or even less today!

More technology not needed, not working - SLO76
I hate all this unnecessary technology, even my decade old Toyota has gadgetry I never use. It only adds cost and complexity yet many of us don’t even know how to use half of it. I’d love to be able to buy the simple, well engineered cars we could have in the 80’s and 90’s. Mercs, BMW’s and Audi's of the era were solid as bank vaults and mechanically simple. Buy a new 190 or 230E and you never needed another car but today’s examples are economic write-offs if anything electrical goes wrong well before the body has started to rot.

Give me a brand new Merc 124 series 230TE or 300TD estate and a basic early Mk I Mazda MX5 1.6 and I’d be delighted for life. But today I wouldn’t thank you for these over-complex future nightmares.

Remember my Mk 1 Accord having aircraft standard connections that had the wire pot cored to the terminal. Brilliant.

And I understand that Toyota actually manufacture their engine management systems in house rather than buy in from companies like Siemens which VW do. Or have such a close relationship with their suppliers that they would expect them to honour their responsibility to produce near 100% reliability.

But I remember when Panasonic set up operations in the UK they were hoping to buy components locally and fit them directly into their TV s as they do in Japan.

But after a high failure rate they went to the trouble of sending IC s to a company to select the ones good enough to use and return the rest to the supplier. Even basic components were pre production checked to see if they met specifications .

Such is the attention to quality that they still are recognised as the most reliable TV s even though the Koreans have the edge on picture quality.

Same applies I’m told to central heating boilers which most have their circuit boards manufactured in China and have a high attrition rate.

I hate all this unnecessary technology, even my decade old Toyota has gadgetry I never use. It only adds cost and complexity yet many of us don’t even know how to use half of it. I’d love to be able to buy the simple, well engineered cars we could have in the 80’s and 90’s. Mercs, BMW’s and Audi's of the era were solid as bank vaults and mechanically simple. Buy a new 190 or 230E and you never needed another car but today’s examples are economic write-offs if anything electrical goes wrong well before the body has started to rot. Give me a brand new Merc 124 series 230TE or 300TD estate and a basic early Mk I Mazda MX5 1.6 and I’d be delighted for life. But today I wouldn’t thank you for these over-complex future nightmares.

There is a reason they were better: they were much more expensive. I don't think you would be buying a new W124 because by the late 1980s a larger engine one cost about £35000 and that was with cloth seats and probably no radio. In today's money that is close on £100,000.

Incredibly a new E-Class today isn't actually that much more money in actual figures and is much better equipped. The same applied to many other models - a mid-range Rover 800 in later 80s prices is over £50k in today's money. A Volvo 740 about £70k.

It doesn't apply to all makes and models but the big stuff is way cheaper than it once was and is designed to be cheap and disposable.

Mind you - I saw a lot of W124s with a much better view of the road than they should have had once you opened the bonnet back in the day!

I hate all this unnecessary technology, even my decade old Toyota has gadgetry I never use. It only adds cost and complexity yet many of us don’t even know how to use half of it.

Reminds me of a friend of ours who (several decades back) got a multi-purpose microwave oven. After a year or two SWMBO asked how many functions were used. Answer: heat and defrost. Meanwhile our basic To-shiba microwave still works after about 30 years, tho I did have to replace the bulb a few years ago.

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/12/2020 at 17:25

More technology not needed, not working - Avant

"The reality is that if your car dash does not look or work like a smartphone or a tablet the car will not sell."

I'm not so sure. Yes, they want infotainment - probably also a touchscreen. But if you ask people what they want the touchscreen to do, I think most would agree that it's best suited to 'info' (satnav, traffic info etc) and 'tainment' (radio, mobile phone connection and music from whatever source). In other words, things that you can control while the car is stopped.

I know of no evidence that a majority want the heating and AC, and other such controls that you may want to adjust while on the move, to be done by the touchscreen.

It's likely to be cost-cutting, not customer demand, which has driven this. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that software, especially poor quality software like Land Rover's and now VAG's, is cheaper to make in bulk than multiple buttons / rotary controls and the associated wiring.

We must hope that the manufacturers who have the courage to resist this trend (most of the Japanese and Koreans, plus, so far, BMW and Jaguar) will be rewarded with increased sales.

More technology not needed, not working - alan1302

It's likely to be cost-cutting, not customer demand, which has driven this. I'm no expert, but I would imagine that software, especially poor quality software like Land Rover's and now VAG's, is cheaper to make in bulk than multiple buttons / rotary controls and the associated wiring.

This is what I would think drives it most - why spend a load extra on lots of dials/buttons when you can have a simple screen.

Cost cutting may be a factor but there is no doubt the market demands car interiors which increasingly meets their (customers) expectations of what modern should be.

A unit with switches and dials may be a little more expensive to make but there is no more wiring - they are all CANbus units which act as their own little module and are connected by one data wire rather than individual.

Edited by pd on 09/12/2020 at 14:49

More technology not needed, not working - Random

For years manufacturers have made sure instruments are cowled to protect from reflections. Now we have screens with no cowling, must be awful when the sun catches them, ditto piano black trim amd metal trim on dashboards. Why are these screens not integrated in dashboards? In most cases they look like an afterthought.

Edited by Random on 09/12/2020 at 17:22

This is what I would think drives it most - why spend a load extra on lots of dials/buttons when you can have a simple screen.

It's not the screen that's the problem - it's the software behind it all. Physical dials and switches are known quantities that are slowly refined, whereas software akin to iPads etc is relatively new to car manufacturers - and why so many STILL have serious software issues on the ICE, never mind the 'command' systems on the speed area of the dashboard.

Many can't even get a workable satnav. Most of them won't pay for generic/industry leading software or hardware systems and so design their own from scratch. Doing something new with little to no expertise in that field isn't easy to make a good product under the gun.

You're both right. I agree the main problems come with poor quality software, but the screen design and graphics can be equally badly thought out.

I had a hour's test drive of a VW ID-3 a few weeks ago. It was a fine sunny day and for the first half-hour or so the white lettering on a blue background on the centre screen was quite hard to read - although the fingerprints showed up very well.

For the second half-hour the software decided - with the sun still shining brightly - that it was night-time: and so the headlights came on (and wouldn't be turned off) and the screen background went black. Its other trick was to keep saying 'speed limit exceeded' at random when I was behind other traffic and nowhere near the speed limit.

We heard earlier in the year about software problems with this model. Clearly VW decided that selling work-in-progress was a better bet than postponing the launch and getting even more flak. Whether that was right will become apparent depending on how common the software problems are in customers' cars.

We heard earlier in the year about software problems with this model. Clearly VW decided that selling work-in-progress was a better bet than postponing the launch and getting even more flak. Whether that was right will become apparent depending on how common the software problems are in customers' cars.

The "selling cars without fully debugged software" was the seeming prerogative of Range Rover.

It is inexcusable and just turns customers off if they experience it..I would expect no better from VW - a company whose products I will never buy again (My sh Audi A4 was hideously expensive to run - the warranty costs were £1000s)

<< The "selling cars without fully debugged software" was the seeming prerogative of Range Rover. >>

As a one-time programmer I have some sympathy with the designers of any software, especially that intended to be widely used. It is almost impossible to imagine every possible circumstance which just might occur. That is why I am sceptical about the development of a perfect autonomous vehicle. At least when something unplanned happens, a human has some chance of deciding what to do on the spur of the moment.

Our software designers always aimed to provide a product as user friendly as the Amazon site.
I often think of this when ordering from them and I'm still amazed how it caters for customers who are not tech savvy.
There is a rescue alternative always there if you press the wrong function.
Brilliant and Jeff Bezos always ends up selling the goods and not driving people to other sites.
Our software designers always aimed to provide a product as user friendly as the Amazon site. I often think of this when ordering from them and I'm still amazed how it caters for customers who are not tech savvy. There is a rescue alternative always there if you press the wrong function. Brilliant and Jeff Bezos always ends up selling the goods and not driving people to other sites.

Amazon aren't perfect - I had an issue where a physical voucher did not have the amount printed on it, and I only had two options to find out whether the amount was correct or £0 (it was a present for someone else) - I had to spend it (or just give the present and hope it was ok) or spend 30 mins going through it all online (phone calls were not an option) with a customer services operative who didn't understand English that well.

All because a 'check amount' facility for vouchers wasn't included. Similarly with their 'try Prime' function, as it is (if available) defaulted when you go to pay, with a minor link to the ordinary way of paying. You make a mistake, no backsies unless you spend ages going through customer services, by which time the items in your basket may have gone or gone up in price.

Saying that, they are still miles better than most cars ICE/Satnav systems I've seen. Most are more clunky than my old 8yo Galaxy Tab 2 to use.

You're both right. I agree the main problems come with poor quality software, but the screen design and graphics can be equally badly thought out.

I had a hour's test drive of a VW ID-3 a few weeks ago. It was a fine sunny day and for the first half-hour or so the white lettering on a blue background on the centre screen was quite hard to read - although the fingerprints showed up very well.

For the second half-hour the software decided - with the sun still shining brightly - that it was night-time: and so the headlights came on (and wouldn't be turned off) and the screen background went black. Its other trick was to keep saying 'speed limit exceeded' at random when I was behind other traffic and nowhere near the speed limit.

I suspect that the flak would only come from the media and not motorists. This would be solved by the manufacturers making realistic targets for development of new cars, i.e. to included more time for R&D of new tech (especially when working with other tech, rather then just on their own).

I had the same problem with my own career, where employers increasingly wanted to reduce design time whilst engineers had A LOT more work to do and barely any (if at all) more/faster resources to do so.

Bosses were doing this because they didn't want to be the ones to raise professional fees (apparently they haven't gone up since 2008 - even before COVID and after the financial crisis/recession ended) - essentially a race to the bottom.

I could easily see the same happening (more regulation hoops to go through, less staff, less time, more new designs to complete) with car design.

More technology not needed, not working - mcb100

I suspect we'll see manufacturers winding back the amount of features they build in, and become more reliant on Apple and Android to do the heavy lifting for navigation and entertainment via Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

I have found that whilst systems work fine at design stage with components selected for almost perfect tolerance it's a different story when the product is sent for production.
With the incentive to drive down costs manufactures will source cheaper components with wider tolerances which leads to poorer reliabilty when in service.
But which manufacturer can afford the luxury of checking components before installing them.
This has lead to the breakdown of reliability of in a variety of products using boards sourced in China from central heating boilers to automotive.
More technology not needed, not working - Terry W

Electronics are key to making cars as economic, well equipped and reliable as they are.

The average 1970s car could be fixed with a few simple mechanical tools. Wiring diagrams filled 2 or 3 pages in a Haynes manual. 30mpg for a family hack was par for the course, a top speed ~ 100mph and 0-60mph in 15 seconds ++ was the norm.

Roll forward 40 years and the basic family hack does 50-70mpg, 120mph, and 0-60 in 10-12 seconds. And you now get airbags, aircon, electric windows, sat nav, infotainment, auto lights and wipers etc.

Sophisticated fuel injection systems improve performance and economy. Cars no longer have obvious rot by their 5th birthday and 200k with limited major failures is the norm. Engine rebuilds or reconditioned units at 60-80 no longer happen very often.

Screens are far cheaper to produce, fit and replace than separate instruments and switches. I do wonder why they release cars without getting the quality right - building a brand is a pie in the sky aspiration unless you deliver customer satisfaction.

I also take exception to the price of replacements although this is true of all unique components. Perhaps when Apple or Microsoft get involved we will at least get interchangeable electronic modules at a sensible cost.

when Apple or Microsoft get involved we will at least get interchangeable electronic modules at a sensible cost.

If Apple do the same with car electronics as they have with their Phones, it will cost a fortune to fix, as every part is security coded to the security processor onboard to prevent 3rd party repairs, which could possibly write off any electronics if you cannot get an Apple tech on it...

Microsoft are a different kettle of fish and may work quicker to repair.

I have found that whilst systems work fine at design stage with components selected for almost perfect tolerance it's a different story when the product is sent for production. With the incentive to drive down costs manufactures will source cheaper components with wider tolerances which leads to poorer reliabilty when in service.

But which manufacturer can afford the luxury of checking components before installing them. This has lead to the breakdown of reliability of in a variety of products using boards sourced in China from central heating boilers to automotive.

Let's hope that doesn't apply to system critical tech in our power generation/transmission systems, water supply and sewerage and defence, never mind air traffic control or the aircraft themselves (though as per the General area, the Boeing 737 Max situation was a good example).

You have to wonder sometimes at our increasing reliance on Chinese-sourced tech, given their government's goals and methodlogy, co-opting their own workforce and businesses to do their bidding.

As an engineer, I think that unless something is done now, I think the days of technology being relied upon and not under the influence of 'third parties' or just failing as the norm will be the death of us all.

We are, in my view, too eager to have new stuff and not concerned at it being proven reliable, safe and secure.

My 'new' (1yo) boiler (see the thread on the General tab) went wrong three times in the first three months after it was installed - it's now on its third gas valve, and second controller and receiver unit combo.

Apart from it going 'clunk' somtimes when it switches on, it otherwise has mostly behaved itself (it sometimes underheats by 0.5degC even when the set point variance is set to 0 - but not the end of the world) since. Given how much I paid for the whole install and 10 year warranty, it should do.

Everything you say above, Terry, about advances in car technology is right - but all of it applies to cars such as BMWs which use touchscreens but haven't let them take over. As I said before, the touchscreen does what it's good at, not what it isn't.

A glimmer of hope - this week's magazines report on the new Citroen C4 which has proper controls for heating and aircon. Maybe someone somewhere is listening.

More technology not needed, not working - RT

Everything you say above, Terry, about advances in car technology is right - but all of it applies to cars such as BMWs which use touchscreens but haven't let them take over. As I said before, the touchscreen does what it's good at, not what it isn't.

A glimmer of hope - this week's magazines report on the new Citroen C4 which has proper controls for heating and aircon. Maybe someone somewhere is listening.

Proper controls for HVAC aren't needed if it has a good climate control system - just set it and leave it. My choice of car 5 years ago (VW Touareg) was partially driven by retention of switches/knobs for essential functions -old-school and all the better for it.

Out of curiosity, which cars are wholly dependent upon a touch screen to control all aspects of air conditioning/climate control?
My 14 year old Jaguar has a touch screen that controls climate, but it never gets accessed as I leave it on Auto with the odd press of the physical button that offers windscreen demisting.

Edited by mcb100 on 11/12/2020 at 08:33

Out of curiosity, which cars are wholly dependent upon a touch screen to control all aspects of air conditioning/climate control? My 14 year old Jaguar has a touch screen that controls climate, but it never gets accessed as I leave it on Auto with the odd press of the physical button that offers windscreen demisting.

The current generation Honda Civic springs to mind, given I think it was the car that kicked off the conversation on this on another thread. It's a right shame, as the dashboard area of this car is otherwise leaps and bounds better (styling-wise) than its predecessors.

Out of curiosity, which cars are wholly dependent upon a touch screen to control all aspects of air conditioning/climate control? My 14 year old Jaguar has a touch screen that controls climate, but it never gets accessed as I leave it on Auto with the odd press of the physical button that offers windscreen demisting.

The current generation Honda Civic springs to mind, given I think it was the car that kicked off the conversation on this on another thread. It's a right shame, as the dashboard area of this car is otherwise leaps and bounds better (styling-wise) than its predecessors.

Are you sure about that Andy?. I've just been looking at examples of the current Civic for sale, and seen none without physical controls.

Looking at photos online, the temperature, recirculation and windscreen options are all on physical buttons.

Just been reading about TG Magazines new AMG Merc A45S long term test car. Found an amusing (maybe not if you own one!) point which is very relevant to this thread. Apparently in order to adjust the lumbar support, you need to dig deep into the settings menus on screen.

Where might you find said adjustment?, within the 'ambient lighting' sub-menu (obviously)!?!?!?

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it was the son of the journo running the car who inadvertently found it!.

Progress?

Are you sure about that Andy?. I've just been looking at examples of the current Civic for sale, and seen none without physical controls.

They could've updated it following customer complaints - maybe it was the original one of the lastest one (external design). As I said, there was a thread on this I was just remembering that - inlcuding people complaining about having to use a touch screen slider to change the fan speed, A/C temperature, etc.

They could've updated it following customer complaints - maybe it was the original one of the lastest one (external design). As I said, there was a thread on this I was just remembering that - inlcuding people complaining about having to use a touch screen slider to change the fan speed, A/C temperature, etc.

iirc, the touch sensitive radio volume sliders was complained about due to its too quick/slow reaction to touch, Honda changed it to physical volume button later....heater controls were manual with LCD display afaia...

Reading HJ s latest column in the Telegraph today there appears to be massive software problems with the MK 8 Golf and other VW models .
Can some one provide the link please.
Look s like the roll out has been delayed because of this new technology !
Reading HJ s latest column in the Telegraph today there appears to be massive software problems with the MK 8 Golf and other VW models . Can some one provide the link please. Look s like the roll out has been delayed because of this new technology !

"Are you aware of major problems with the new VW Golf Mk8? We have a six-week-old car that has had to be taken off the road at VW UK’s insistence after software for Driver Assist, SOS and sat-nav all failed. Before being safe to drive it apparently needs a new steering wheel, which we await. The dealer’s demo car has similar issues. It seems this model had major software problems from the start, leading to delayed launch and recall in Germany. But our car was built in February and we wonder if models shipped to the UK did not receive the necessary updates and modifications. Any information? IF

I have received three reports so far, and I’m hearing that there are similar problems with the tech in VW’s new ID.3 electric car.

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/honest-john-should.../

Reading HJ s latest column in the Telegraph today there appears to be massive software problems with the MK 8 Golf and other VW models . Can some one provide the link please. Look s like the roll out has been delayed because of this new technology !

"Are you aware of major problems with the new VW Golf Mk8? We have a six-week-old car that has had to be taken off the road at VW UK’s insistence after software for Driver Assist, SOS and sat-nav all failed. Before being safe to drive it apparently needs a new steering wheel, which we await. The dealer’s demo car has similar issues. It seems this model had major software problems from the start, leading to delayed launch and recall in Germany. But our car was built in February and we wonder if models shipped to the UK did not receive the necessary updates and modifications. Any information? IF

I have received three reports so far, and I’m hearing that there are similar problems with the tech in VW’s new ID.3 electric car.

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/honest-john-should.../

I do have to chuckle, given how many of the established car manufacturers were having a go at Tesla for the poor quality of their cars in terms of reliability and fit and finish, and yet now we see increasing amounts of electronics-related issues in both ordinary cars and EVs from them as well.

One thing I've also noticed is how scarce computer electronics are at the moment - and how expensive they are because of the shortages, brought on by the period of inactivity for manufacturing plants in the Far East (especially China) during the first few months of the pandemic.

More technology not needed, not working - Trilogy.

Has VW become the current BL?

No strikes and it makes profits..

So No.

No strikes and it makes profits..

So No.

Only because IMHO they have a) a far better PR/marketing department, and b) many fingers in many government's pies in Europe. I mean, look what happened as regards 'Dieselgate' - ithey should've been roasted, and yet...

VAG aren't quite as bad as BL - not yet anyway - but as in many competitive industries, there tend to be peaks and troughs, or if you prefer, a wheel where a company rises to the top and then can all too easily fall away again.

Back in the 1950s Austins were the best mass-produced cars you could buy. BMC did fairly well in the 60s, helped by the SU carburettor which was much less temperamental than others. But the rot set in in the 70s, and BMC/BLMC/BL/Austin-Rover never really recovered.

Ford shone in the 60s with the Cortina and again in the 90s, thanks to Richard Parry-Jones, with the Mondeo and Focus. And the Fiesta is still a success after over 40 years. So one of the better performers, whereas Vauxhall have never been a star.

Peugeot could do no wrong in the 80s (205 and 306) and then slumped. Better recently, although I wasn't impressed with the faulty £46k 3008 PHEV that I test-drove this year.

I think VW's reputation grew steadily starting with the Golf in 1974, aided by the rise of Audi and Skoda. But they're on the way down the other side of the 'wheel' now, with Dieselgate followed by an ever-increasing disregard for their customers. They think that people will just go on buying their cars regardless: that won't last forever, and some of us, previously loyal, are looking elsewhere.

One maker that seems to have deservedly stayed on top of things, ever since the 2002 in the 1970s, is BMW: and another, for quite different reasons, is Toyota. The 1966 Corona instantly made a name for reliability which they've worked hard to make sure they never lose.

Peugeot could do no wrong in the 80s (205 and 306) and then slumped. Better recently, although I wasn't impressed with the faulty £46k 3008 PHEV that I test-drove this year.

As I have said before (too often) my family has owned about sixteen 205s and a handful of 306s (still have one) so I confirm Avant's judgment. I avoided 206s after owning one for only a couple of months because I found the seats were intolerable after half an hour's driving.

But this thread made me wonder whether the reputation earned by a particular model depends more on the quality of its component parts, or the care with which they are put together ?

This is a masterclass in motoring history Avant. So succinctly summarised. Be interested to hear about your career ?

And are there any eras of BMW s history or models that you admire most ?

More technology not needed, not working - daveyjp

I've just watched a video of the ID3 and the screen froze. Unable to reset instantly, the car had to be left locked for an hour.

Some of the comments suggest this is yet another VAG inherest design fault as it also happens on Audis.

More technology not needed, not working - John F

It would also help if the controls were standardised, like the different pedal layouts of 100yrs ago eventually were.

E.g. the volume control is on the right arm of the steering wheel in my Audi, but on the left in the Peugeot 2008. Also, for one wipe of the screen, you flick the stalk downwards on the Audi but towards you in the Peugeot. Confuse them, and unwanted things happen!

I've just watched a video of the ID3 and the screen froze. Unable to reset instantly, the car had to be left locked for an hour.

Some of the comments suggest this is yet another VAG inherest design fault as it also happens on Audis.

If you read up on it, its caused by Beta software released early as it wasn`t meant for release until next year, assuming the bugs had been sorted out?, those that have bought it are being given incentives to carry on using the car, even after the problems are sorted, as they are gradually sorting the software problems out.

Some owners apparently are wanting to return the motors due to successive breakdowns and electrical problems, there is an article about 2 owners on google news if you want a read, surprising really they released a car like that so early?