What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW golf R - Drift mode - sammy1

Is there a place on Public roads for a car to be Drifting ie controlled sliding. Manufacturers have introduced many safety features on vehicles over the years and now VW appears to be going backwards in a big way. VW say there is a double prompt on the function to prevent I presume accidentally going into this mode. Feel assured that some drivers will delight in using this!

VW golf R - Drift mode - mcb100

They undoubtedly will, they'll be the same knuckle draggers who drive flat out at the moment anyway. If there's a bit of software that makes the car more controllable on the limit, there's a school of thought that it'll make it safer if attempted.

On the downside, it's a temptation to use.

VW golf R - Drift mode - Sofa Spud

Surely drifting on a public highway would count as 'not being in proper control of your vehicle', not to mention 'dangerous driving'. People have been banned from driving for drifting in the UK - banned for a year in at least one case.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 07/11/2020 at 14:47

VW golf R - Drift mode - KB.

If it's "public place" where someone practising their drifting technique is likely to meet me going about my normal business ... and if it gets picked up on my dashcam ... then they can expect to have it sent to the police in hope that they get nicked.

But surely that's not what you mean?

Edited by KB. on 07/11/2020 at 18:12

VW golf R - Drift mode - Terry W

Drifting on public roads is the height of stupidity. However well developed your reactions (or overinflated sense of ability) most other road users will not expect or respond to such behaviour.

So I would hope that it is firmly condemned - like track days (which I support) it should only happen in an appropriate environment. You take your own risks and accept the consequences - putting others at risk is not acceptable.

VW golf R - Drift mode - Metropolis.
I suspect it would be very useful on a snow covered road where you might prefer some induced oversteer compared to more dangerous understeer, particularly in a situation where you need to maintain momentum such as a twisty hill. But in reality I think this is designed for track days, much like launch mode.
VW golf R - Drift mode - edlithgow

One winter evening I tried a bit of skid control practice on the huge empty icy car park at Aviemore. Absolutely no possible danger to other road users, but it was a public place.

Cops turned up to threaten me in about 2 minutes. Still don't know if I can control a skid.

So I think its a fair bet that they have adequate powers to control misuse of this button.

VW golf R - Drift mode - dan86

One winter evening I tried a bit of skid control practice on the huge empty icy car park at Aviemore. Absolutely no possible danger to other road users, but it was a public place.

Cops turned up to threaten me in about 2 minutes. Still don't know if I can control a skid.

So I think its a fair bet that they have adequate powers to control misuse of this button.

sounds like a kill joy was watching and reported you. Im not saying what you did was right or wrong as when i was younger i did the same the first time it snowed after i passed my driving test and when young we all do stupid things. but to have a button on a car that allowes this on the road could be viewed as irresponsible on VWs part

VW golf R - Drift mode - edlithgow

RE "when young we all do stupid things" I do stupid things when old too, but this was not one of them.

If I'd spent an hour or so playing around, its was quite possible that could have saved my, and/or someone else's life in the future.

But it was NOT ALLOWED, because...it was NOT ALLOWED.

VW golf R - Drift mode - dadbif
Before Sunday trading put a stop to it, I used to take my children onto local supermarket car parks to teach them skid control, opposite lock etc. Worthwhile in my opinion.
I was taken onto a skid pan during my Fire Appliance driving course.