What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Cazoo - MikeM100

My nephew told me that he was thinking of buying a car from Cazoo (as seen on TV) and asked me what I thought. I 'researched' them and the TrustPilot reviews were mainly good but the bad reviews were a nightmare.. I couldn't help but notice that for most of the reviewers it was their only review ?

I myself cannot imagine buying and paying for a second hand car 'unseen' ? I advised hin to go to a traditional dealer

Am I just old fashioned ?

Any - Cazoo - RT

My nephew told me that he was thinking of buying a car from Cazoo (as seen on TV) and asked me what I thought. I 'researched' them and the TrustPilot reviews were mainly good but the bad reviews were a nightmare.. I couldn't help but notice that for most of the reviewers it was their only review ?

I myself cannot imagine buying and paying for a second hand car 'unseen' ? I advised hin to go to a traditional dealer

Am I just old fashioned ?

I bought an ex-Vauxhall management car through their Network Q scheme and an ex-Enterprise car through the Hyundai Approved scheme - both were bought unseen but backed by their respective schemes - it comes down to how much you trust the scheme.

Given the anecdotal evidence that online auctions (due to Covid) are giving dealer grief with inaccurate description/condition classification, I wouldn't touch a new boy like Cazoo just yet.

Any - Cazoo - Terry W

I would avoid them - too new to have built the sort of reputation I would want in order to buy blind.

With a 1 or 2 year old car, mechanically it should still be under warranty. Need to check bodywork and interior very carefully on delivery and before acceptance. But would I spend possibly £10k ++ without looking at what I was buying????

Anything older and there is NO substitute for a test drive and thorough personal inspection.

Any cost saving would need to be remarkable even to tempt me!

Any - Cazoo - Engineer Andy

Why anyone would buy a second hand car without seeing / driving / inspecting it (new cars excepted for the first two, though I'd always look at /test drive showroom cars) first is beyond me.

Any - Cazoo - _

I read somewhere, (I'll try to find it) about someone buying a car through Cazoo and taking their finance and the nightmares they went through after rejecting the car.

This weekend past I jus took a friend to Motorpoint, car bang in his price range, no hard sell, cash buyer and no grief..

Kia picanto 1.0..

It has been a while since i last took anyone to MP, but after phoning and arranging to go, it was zero hassle.

One happy mate.

Any - Cazoo - Engineer Andy

I read somewhere, (I'll try to find it) about someone buying a car through Cazoo and taking their finance and the nightmares they went through after rejecting the car.

This weekend past I jus took a friend to Motorpoint, car bang in his price range, no hard sell, cash buyer and no grief..

Kia picanto 1.0..

It has been a while since i last took anyone to MP, but after phoning and arranging to go, it was zero hassle.

One happy mate.

Admitedly my Motorpoint experience was nearly 15 years ago, but I found them very good. A pity that (presumably because of COVID and no new stock coming their way for 4-5 months) that they only have 2-3k worth of cars rather than the normal 5-8k. I wonder what the turn-around time is for buying a new (ordered) car at the moment?

They aren't the only ones with severely depelted stock levels - all the electrical retailers are too - barely any stock in when I need to buy a replacement fridge last week (and a 10 day wait for delivery), similarly for new mobile phones.

Just glad that the supermarkets have mostly a full compliment of stock, if at higher prices (almost no deals) than usual.

Any - Cazoo - _

He is happy £7500 ish for a 2 yr old, I think he gets it this week, weds ...

Any - Cazoo - Penumbra

Well HJ seems to quite like them ( www.honestjohn.co.uk/what-is-cazoo-and-why-should-.../ )

The poor reviews I've seen seem to say the same thing it can be difficult and time consuming if paperwork is missing or you need to get your money back - but the same applies to traditional retailers as well.

I also wonder how you go about getting faults fixed under their guarantee

Personally I'd have to see the car and drive it.

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

TBH, that (undated) article reads more like an advertorial to me.

Any - Cazoo - barney100

Bought my last two cars unseen but from a trusted main dealer on the proviso that if I wasn't happy with the car then I was under no obligation. However Cazoo would need to undercut by a large margin to tempt me.

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

I've never had any dealings with these people. Some of the reviews and the responses to them were less than inspiring.

More worrying was their (lack of) information on consumer's rights. They make great play on the '7 day change your mind' option. If you buy a car without visiting their premises (e.g. online) you have 14 days to change your mind and cancel the contract for any reason or no reason at all. If you do, they cannot charge you for delivery to you but you may have to deliver the car back to them at your expense. What they could more properly say is 'You can change your mind and cancel the contract up to 14 days after delivery. If you do this within 7 days we will collect the car free of charge. After 7 days if you wish to use our collection service we will charge £250.'

A 90 day warranty is not of much use because under the Consumer Rights Act it is a 'rebuttable presumption' that any fault which becomes apparent within 6 months of sale was present or developing at the point of sale and the seller is liable for repair/refund/replacement. Warranty insurance companies could reject claims within the first 6 months on this basis.

But it gets more complicated if you have a problem ...

If you acquire the car on HP/PCP your contract is with the finance company (they buy the car from the dealer and hire it to you). They have all the obligations under consumer law, not the dealer. So in any dispute you will be dealing with the finance company. Some are no doubt better than others. You are relying on them to handle the process promptly, deal with your refund etc.

The Cazoo site mentions Black Horse Finance, i.e. Lloyds Banking Group. They operate with several entities, e.g Shogun Finance and Suzuki Financial Services Ltd. You may wish to search out reviews for the finance company you will be dealing with.

In any case, the FCA gives finance companies 8 weeks to issue a proposal to resolve an issue. That's a long time when you're at the receiving end and you may have to wait 5 weeks or more just to get them to inspect the car, or even for the call centre operator to get a 'complaint manager' appointed.

I have had no dealings with Cazoo, but I think the above points are worthy of consideration.

Edited by joegrundy on 07/09/2020 at 11:34

Any - Cazoo - Penumbra

Joegrundy

Presumably though, you would have the same problem wherever you bought it from if purchased under an HP/finance scheme?

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

Joegrundy

Presumably though, you would have the same problem wherever you bought it from if purchased under an HP/finance scheme?

Yes, absolutely. But I can't help but feel that buying a car unseen and uninspected increases the risk of becoming embroiled in this maelstrom.

One factor in buying a car on HP/PCP is that it potentially brings the Financial Ombudsman into play. That can be a long and frustrating process but you can ultimately succeed. The only other option to enforce your rights is through the courts. Not surprising that some/many/a lot of people give up, take the loss and walk away.

Edited by joegrundy on 07/09/2020 at 12:18

Any - Cazoo - Penumbra

I quite agree. Couldn't imagine buying a car without trying it first. Went to see a newish Ford Fiesta Active this weekend. All the reviews rate the cars highly, but I found it quite noisy which put me off. It's the sort of negative you would only find by trying the vehicle - bit late if the money has already changed hands.

Edited by Penumbra on 07/09/2020 at 12:31

Any - Cazoo - MikeM100

Thanks for your opinions ! I advised him to steer clear. Youngsters seem to be more more concerned that a car has all the bells and whistles rather than being a sound car

Any - Cazoo - Falkirk Bairn

The man who kicked off Cazoo has at least 2 x successful businesses

Cazoo is the third startup founded by Alex Chesterman OBE, one of the most successful digital entrepreneurs in the UK. Previously, he transformed the film rental market with LoveFilm in 2010 (acquired by Amazon for £200 million) and the property market with Zoopla (sold for over £2.2 billion in 2018). Now, Chesterman eyes to set the used car market in the UK on fire with Cazoo.

Cazoo might be sensible for Chesterman - will it be successful for the car buyers?

Any - Cazoo - MikeM100

The Trust Pilot reviews of Cazoo make interesting reading. They appear to be very helpful, polite and responsive to complaints. Bit mystified though that they seem to draw attention to the smallest of scratches or blemishes which they could fix for very little cost..

Certainly not for me though. Now, if they were to offer 7 or 14 days 'trial' without entangling in PPE finanace and insurance then a possibility ? (I jest !)

Any - Cazoo - bathtub tom

Thanks for your opinions ! I advised him to steer clear. Youngsters seem to be more more concerned that a car has all the bells and whistles rather than being a sound car

It seems to me, lots of people buying cars have no more idea about them than buying a can of beans and think nothing of picking one up 'off the shelf'. Folk are also blinded by the hype, I've a cousin that's walked into a showroom, out of curiosity, and been talked into buying a car they didn't want - good salesmanship.

Any - Cazoo - Andrew-T

I know no more about Kazoo than appears on their TV adverts, but it seems the same as buying from E-bay or Amaz0n. You need to know all you can about what you are buying. In the case of a used car, that may depend on what you want it for - if you just want something that works, but aren't too bothered what it looks like, maybe no problem.

But most buyers are probably not quite like that, and may think about selling on afterwards, etc.

Any - Cazoo - _

Personally, I do not think that it is worth the risk, but for those who buy/rent everything online via an app it might well be attractive.

The problems come when there are problems and if it is not a main dealer car with main dealer service history and WARRANTY the life will suddenly get a lot harder.

YES, the founder has built 2 good businesses but the car retail business is littered with fallers by the wayside.

Like any other business Trustpilot and other reviews have been known to be manipulated.

If i write a good review, it'll pass but as I found afew months back writing a bad review about a hotel booking gets the "checking you actually did book" Police on your heels pretty quick.

In that case my review was judged unacceptable, as even producing the copy of the booking form wasn't acceptable as I had cancelled immediately after spooting the problems and was refunded.

So, beware reviewers... and reviews.

Edited by _ORB_ on 07/09/2020 at 14:49

Any - Cazoo - _

I have just done a search, picking one of the cars that showed up on the Cazoo website

www.cazoo.co.uk/used-car/7622054b-28d9-575a-bbbd-7.../

against from autotrader

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&...0

using the age mileage criteria cazoo use. ZERO saving.!!!

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

That's interesting, ORB. Cazoo car registered 2017. Only service (PDI?) 13/6/17 by BCA Bristol.

FSH or what?

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

To quote somebody famous (I don't think it was Marilyn Monroe but could have been) 'Would you buy a used car from this man?'

Any - Cazoo - Terry W

Price shows as £7550 - not a great bargain but probably reasonable bar limited service history.

Finance example shows £12750?????? I would have thought it was not beyond the bounds of possibility to link the finance example to the vehicle price. Is there somethig going wrong,

Any - Cazoo - Penumbra

Alex Chesterman bought Imperial Cars Supermarket this year - now there's a company that didn't always get the best of reviews.

There's a few caveats as well with Cazoo.

If you send the first car back and try another, it will cost you £100 to return the 2nd one.

You get to try the car for 7 days but there's 250 mile limit and you pay if you go over that. There's also a £75 + VAT fee payable if you return the car in what Cazoo deem a dirty condition. You also have to pay the £500 excess if you have to claim under their free drive-away insurance, but to be fair I suspect other Internet car sites like BuyaCar have the same clauses.

It's a sliding scale isn't it; Something off Ebay for £2.50 then I'll chance it. £20,000 to some relatively new Internet start up ummm probably not.

Edited by Penumbra on 07/09/2020 at 19:35

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

"You get to try the car for 7 days but there's 250 mile limit and you pay if you go over that."

At £1 per mile - how on earth do they justify that? HMRC agreed cost per mile including everything is 45p per mile. Excess mileage on a Suzuki Finance PCP is 4p per mile.

Too many apparent issues and potential problems for me, thanks.

Any - Cazoo - Doc

Refunds can take up to 10 days! My bank can do instant transfers.

We process all refunds within 24-48 hours. Once a refund has been processed, it takes 5-10 working days for the money to go back into your account. This is due to the amount of time needed for the bank to process your refund.

When we come and pick up the car, we’ll check it over and agree if it’s good to return. Then we’ll kick off the refund process.

The refund will need to happen using the same original payment method and will include any charges for damage or mileage beyond the 250 mile limit.

We’ll start processing your refund right away, except for £200 of your deposit which we’ll hold onto until we receive your signed V5. Once we receive it, we’ll transfer the remaining amount and the money should be back in your account within 5-10 working days.

Any - Cazoo - Falkirk Bairn

Cazoo bought Imperial car supermarket.

That explains the Planning Application to turn an area of ground behind the former VW/Honda Glass Palace that trades as Imperial and has been there say 2 years.

Both VW & Honda outlets closed

5000 sq ft showrooms & workshops supported both franchises 2 miles away for decades - they moved to 30K sq ft glass palace both businesses fail - similar level of business BUT HUGE increase in overheads!

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 07/09/2020 at 20:08

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

Thinking about it, MM's famous quote was when she was asked about a nude photo shoot. 'Is it true you had nothing on?' she was asked. 'No' she said 'We had the radio on'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f04hTbhX3Ko

Any - Cazoo - Avant

'Would you buy a used car from this man?'

That was famously used by the Democrats campaigning against Richard Nixon.

Any - Cazoo - joegrundy

Oh well, Avant, there's serendipity for you. If I'd remembered correctly we wouldn't have had the Alice Band to lighten up our discussion ...

Any - Cazoo - daveyK_UK
Meet someone today who had purchased via cazoo and happy.

Car has had no issues, so not tested out the after sales.

Price was similar to others on autotrader but they had the colour she wanted available so went with Cazoo.
Any - Cazoo - Sam Silva

I have bought a car from Cazoo, and it has been nightmare- uk.trustpilot.com/reviews/600ac048755dc104c0c59ced

They are still sorting out my car. The fundamental issue is that they don't conduct the 300 points check that they claim- if they did lots of issues would be auto-addressed.

Any - Cazoo - Steveieb

Good to see Trustpilot came to the rescue. They didn’t do to well on Rip off Britain the other morning and I didn’t realise that the companies pay a subscription to be on the site . So is there anything independent ?

Any - Cazoo - daveyK_UK
Where do cazoo source the cars?
Ex fleet?
Or rental?
Or from auction?

Any - Cazoo - alan1302

Good to see Trustpilot came to the rescue. They didn’t do to well on Rip off Britain the other morning and I didn’t realise that the companies pay a subscription to be on the site . So is there anything independent ?

Not sure TrustPilot have done anything?