What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - _

IT seems that the calls as above are multiplying recently.

Listen tothe nice person telling me abot them and when they ask when my accident was I reply about 1973.

Generally a short silence then disconnects. i block them all immediately.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/08/2020 at 20:21

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - badbusdriver

Last couple of times i have got these i demand to know who told them i was in an accident. They apologise then hang up!.

My son got one once, he was 15 at the time. They said,

"we are calling about the accident you had".

He (who is a drama student BTW) replied,

"Oh yes, it was just bad luck that i was in the way when the rhino escaped, but the doctors did say i would eventually be able to walk again"

Aparently there was silence for a few seconds then they hung up!.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Engineer Andy

If I'm in the mood and have the time, I like to keep this sort of oik on the phone (without giving away any information) as long as possible, wasting their time (so that other don't get called) and increasing their phone bill, especially if they are based abroad.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Smileyman

I have two responses, either to say I've had a few and ask which one? or play forgetful and ask them for more details .. knowing all along it's a scam, they haven't a clue and are relying on me to tell them!

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Big John

I always ask which one - saying I've had 50 this year!

"Silence" + "Click" when the penny drops

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - MGspannerman

A friend of mine used to leave a painfully long pause before replying in rich, sonorous tones “do you believe in the power of the Lord to save your mortal soul, repent before the day of judgement etc etc” until the call ends. It didn’t normally take too long.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Trilogy.

We don't get those calls.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - diddy1234
A work colleague got one whilst at work.

He said ‘no I haven’t had an accident but whilst I have you on the phone. What is the best accident to have with the biggest pay out ?
I am planning to have an accident in the next two hours so an immediate answer form you would be great’

They hung up and all of us in the office fell about laughing.
I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - SLO76
I used to get them constantly on my business landline. I’d typically ask them to hold while I fetch the manager who “did recently have an accident” then I try to keep them on hold as long as possible, coming back to politely ask them to wait a bit longer. Record was 15 minutes, I was well impressed by his determination but less so by his intellect. Every minute these vermin are on hold is one less they can be annoying others and it damages the business case for such call centres. Keep em holding.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/08/2020 at 23:24

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Manatee

Had one today, obviously I wasn't being very original.

Me: "No...oh yes, I remember. Must have been about 1976..."

Silence. Click.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Mr D Og

At one time I used to report unwanted calls to the Telephone Preference Service but never received any feedback and the volume of such calls continue unabated so I no longer waste my time.

I was once advised that unwanted calls from the same organisation, if happening often, could represent harassment and as such is a criminal offence which I could report to the Police. I've declined to do that so far as I suspect it would be regarded as low priority and I'd end up wasting my time yet again!

So I soldier on with a heavy heart!

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - FP

Not about supposed accidents, but I seem to get a lot of calls about the expiring warranty on my washing machine. Given that I have bought within the last few years machines for my own home, the house I rent out and my step-daughter's home, I am always intrigued enough to play the scammers along.

I pretend to be somewhat vague and forgetful and ask the caller to remind me what machine I have. Usually I'm told it's a Hotpoint. But all three machines mentioned above are Bosch. I give the caller an earful about wasting their and my time.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - kiss (keep it simple)

I tell them I drove into the back of the ambulance I was chasing.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Terry W

This is what home working means post Covid - sit in a comfy chair and call other home workers about fictitious accidents.

Also lots of opportunities for home workers to get gainful employment selling insurance policies that aren't needed, energy contracts, we insulate your loft, driveways resurfaced, you called about double glazing 8 years ago - do you want some more etc etc.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - catsdad

It was probably on this site that someone previously referred to the “Hello this is Lenny” automatic response programme against cold callers. There are several recordings of it in action on Youtube. The cold callers are taken in by the programme which generates a series of vague open responses to the caller’s sales pitch.

Well worth a listen.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Engineer Andy

Laughing my head off to these. I might try Lennyisms next time one of these scammers call me.

Good ol' Lenny.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - Trilogy.

Oddly enough I just had a call from one these scoundrels. First voice quite clearly recorded. Second voice was alive. Asked I'd recently had a an accident. I said yesterday, Was then asked vehicle registration number. I said I'd only just acquired the car so couldn't remember. His response 'Don't lie to me you idiot'. I told him, not politely, where to go and ended the call.

I love 'em - "We have been notified about yr accident" calls - expat

It was probably on this site that someone previously referred to the “Hello this is Lenny” automatic response programme against cold callers.

Lenny is a classic. Here are the instructions on how to set it up for those of you who like fiddling with such things:

shaun.net/notes/introducing-lenny/

I haven't done it myself but have been tempted. It is worth editing the sound files to remove the Lenny name when it answers. Some of the spammers have got wise to this. It is also possible to get it to press 1 when answering by adding the appropriate tone..