What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driving license points removal - primus 1

I have 3 points on my license acquired on 3 August 2017, having just checked my license on the govt website,it says they are due to expire on 3 August 2020, there’s also a removal date of 2021, what does this mean?

• Offence date: 3 Aug 2017
  • Expiry date: 3 Aug 2020
  • Removal date: 3 Aug 2021
Driving license points removal - thunderbird

I have 3 points on my license acquired on 3 August 2017, having just checked my license on the govt website,it says they are due to expire on 3 August 2020, there’s also a removal date of 2021, what does this mean?

It means the offence was on 3 August 2017, they points expire on 3 August 2020 3 years after the offence) and on or after 3 August 2021 you can apply for a new licence and they will not be show on it.

What hard to understand about that?

But with these photo licences do they actually show the points like they did on the old paper ones or is it simply a computer exercise at the DVLA? If they are not shown I guess there is no need to apply for a new license.

Driving license points removal - mcb100
You’re right, no need to renew a photo card to ‘remove’ points, they just show if anyone does an online licence check.
Driving license points removal - RT

Points apply in the totting-up calculation for 3 years but remain visible on the licence, or online, for 4 years and need to be declared to insurers for 5 years.

Thank you

Driving license points removal - leef

I think the OP was wondering why the extra year for removal when they expire this year. The "whats hard to understand about that?" comment is uneccessary and unhelpful. He was probably looking at it from a different point of view. You could of just given the answer and been helpful instead of being a ***t.

Driving license points removal - alan1302

You could of just given the answer and been helpful instead of being a ***t.

Agreed.

You would think as soon as they expire they would be able to apply to have them removed as well rather than having to wait another year.

Driving license points removal - RT

You could of just given the answer and been helpful instead of being a ***t.

Agreed.

You would think as soon as they expire they would be able to apply to have them removed as well rather than having to wait another year.

The ruling was introduced before photocard licences were issued, DVLA wilted somewhat under the high volume of changes and some drivers managed to use the delays to escape a ban under the totting-up process so the points were kept on a further year but didn't change the totting-up process.

It's only a matter of vanity that people have their points removed once they've expired so it's no big deal.

I think the OP was wondering why the extra year for removal when they expire this year. The "whats hard to understand about that?" comment is uneccessary and unhelpful. He was probably looking at it from a different point of view. You could of just given the answer and been helpful instead of being a ***t.

Spot on, I now know why some people are reluctant to post on here

Edited by primus 1 on 30/07/2020 at 15:06

Driving license points removal - Archie35

Agreed. I'm noticing more rude responses on this forum than used to be the case.

Driving license points removal - Smileyman

I think with lockdowns, other restrictions, employment situation and the state of the economy many are getting more stressed and less tolerant, very regrettable but human nature.

Driving license points removal - John F

Agreed. I'm noticing more rude responses on this forum than used to be the case.

But they do appear to emanate from one particular recently arrived poster. Has skidpan reappeared under a new moniker?

Driving licence points removal - Avant

It's a perfectly reasonable question, and not necessarily obvious unless you know the answer. So don't be deterred from asking.

Of our current members there's just one who has this superior attitude, but as moderator I would ask everyone NOT to 'shout down' someone who comes on here and asks a question even if you think the answer is obvious. If it were obvious to the questioner, they wouldn't have asked the question.

Edited by Avant on 30/07/2020 at 16:57

Driving licence points removal - Engineer Andy

((chuckle))

Driving licence points removal - thunderbird

The OP asked what the 3 bullet points mean't and I told him.

And I still cannot see what is so difficult to understand, the clues are in the words Offence, Expiry and Removal.

And I dod not like being called a t***

Driving licence points removal - alan1302

And I dod not like being called a t***

Don't be one then.

You could have answered the question/or chosen not to answer it. You don't need to add any more.

Driving licence points removal - FP

I deplore both the original off-hand comment and the insult which followed.

And this latest comment ("Don't be one") just adds fuel to the fire.

We - the long-standing Back-Roomers at least - should know better than to get into this kind of stupid spat - exemplified all over social media by those who have time on their hands and nothing constructive to say and who in some cases actually enjoy a bit of trolling - revelling in the attention it brings.

Surely we don't want to take even one little step down that path.

Driving licence points removal - Middleman

I have had several breaks because the quality of questions has become staggeringly banal, a bit like this thread.

Questions only seem "banal" (i.e. boring or lacking in originality) if you know the answer. This OP clearly didn't. It's not unreasonable to wonder why points that are "expired" should remain on one's driving record for a further year - especially when most insurers require disclosure of offences for a year more than that. Personally I don't see any need for it now as driving records are no longer recorded on paper but are held electronically. But whilst it's there many drivers will wonder the same thing.

Edited by Middleman on 31/07/2020 at 14:10

Driving licence points removal - Avant

Absolutely, Middleman - I couldn't have put it better myself.

Hopefully the OP has got some sensible answers to his perfetly good question, so I'll close the thread in case the playground bully comes back.