What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
any - Crash test ratings over time - diddy1234

I was wondering about the Euro NCAP crash test ratings.

Say for example a car purchased today has a 5 star rating.

In 5 years time, what crash test rating would it have if it was retested ?

Obviously things move on as more and more safety is built in (and cars get heavier with more safety kit).

If a car looses its rating over time, whats the point of paying extra purchasing a 5 star rating car when it's 3 star rating in 5 years time ?

I did email Ncap asking about this and they never got back to me so I just wondered what other owners thought.

any - Crash test ratings over time - RT

It's not so much that cars lose their rating - just that the standard keeps being raised, not as much as your example though.

On your scale a 3* car will only be a 1* car in years to come!

I remember seeing the crash test for the Rover 100 and that killed rover sales overnight with it's dreadful rating.

Yet these cars were sold for nearly 20 years and people were happy with them.

Does this mean that a car brought now that we think is safe turns out to be a future death trap ?

any - Crash test ratings over time - mcb100

At the point in time when you buy a 5* car it has been shown to be demonstrably safer than a 3* car. In two years time it will still be safer than the 3* car.

Edited by mcb100 on 29/07/2020 at 09:20

any - Crash test ratings over time - Engineer Andy

At the point in time when you buy a 5* car it has been shown to be demonstrably safer than a 3* car. In two years time it will still be safer than the 3* car.

Only if the testing standards aren't raised or manufacturers don't raise their own safety features. You have to compare aples with apples, i.e. cars tested at the same time under the same testing regime.

My 14yo car is a 4 star rated car. It would likely be only a 2 star car today, perhaps a 3 or 1.

Note also that unless a car material changes through a more comprehensive makeover in mid-life, a car that has been on sale for 7 years is more likely to be less safe than one that has just come out because the star rating is based on when the model was originally tested at year zero.

any - Crash test ratings over time - mcb100

I'll rephrase - If I buy two cars on the same day, one a 5* and one a 3*, one is demonstrably safer than the other. Wind forward two years, and the same two cars, and the 5* car is still safer than the 3* car. Apples with apples.

If I compare apples for apples then I just have to make sure if I do have a crash, it's with a car of similar age. ha ha

any - Crash test ratings over time - RT

If I compare apples for apples then I just have to make sure if I do have a crash, it's with a car of similar age. ha ha

A 10-year old big heavy SUV that was 5* when new will still outperform a new small car that's 5* on a newer rating system.

any - Crash test ratings over time - Brit_in_Germany

Safer for whom, though? Putting an airbag under the bonnet doesn't improve safety for the occupants, it just puts up the price of repair for the owner.

any - Crash test ratings over time - thunderbird

In 2018 the Fiat Punto Evo was retested for some reason. Originally I seem to remember it was a 4* car when tested about 15 years ago, under the new test it was 0*

That does not make you any more likely to die in it now than 10 years ago but it does demonstrate that the test has been tightened up especially with *'s for certain driver aids etc which the Punto Evo would never have had.

www.whatcar.com/news/fiat-punto-axed-following-zer...s.

any - Crash test ratings over time - Manatee

It's obviously partly about crashworthiness but it is a points-based system and there are minimums that must be achieved across all score categories to get 5 stars regardless of the overall score gradings.

For example, no car can get 5 stars now without a minimum 70% score for 'safety assist'. Safety assist means autonomous emergency braking, occupant status monitoring, speed assistance and lane support.

I don't know the weightings for those but it seems unlikely anything without at least 3 of them will get 5 stars (things like ESP, seatbelt warnings, ABS are now a given).