What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Premium fuel ? - Topdude

Anyone notice the advice regarding using premium fuel has changed in the Ask HJ section ?

"There is no independent data or research which shows that premium fuel is worth the extra money over standard fuel. Shell may promote the fact that their V Power is better for an engine but there is nothing to verify this. For the vast majority of cars on the road (performance cars and some classics excluded), standard 95RON fuel is more than adequate. As an independent consumer website, our aim is to ensure readers aren't out of pocket - the tiny economy savings you may see from premium fuel would not justify the extra price per litre in our opinion."

Any - Premium fuel ? - Stackman II

Since the fuel price dropped last month I have been running my Saab on premium unleaded.

Tesco Momentum is only around £1.09 per litre, a premium of about 6ppl over regular and about 30p less than before.

I have noticed that the engine, a 2.0 turbo 175bhp, is smoother and more responsive and I am getting improved mpg, from around 28mpg to 32.

It seems to work for me.

Any - Premium fuel ? - Cris_on_the_gas

Why not use the fuel recommended in the Owner's Manual. I have got 2 cars. One the OM states it runs on 95 RON, the other states it should be filled with 98 RON. However the 98 RON owners manual states that it will run on 95 RON but the Lambda sensor will automatically adjust for the different fuel and performance may reduce slightly. This I have never noticed but don't often drive it like I stole it !

Any - Premium fuel ? - Engineer Andy

Since the fuel price dropped last month I have been running my Saab on premium unleaded.

Tesco Momentum is only around £1.09 per litre, a premium of about 6ppl over regular and about 30p less than before.

I have noticed that the engine, a 2.0 turbo 175bhp, is smoother and more responsive and I am getting improved mpg, from around 28mpg to 32.

It seems to work for me.

Lucky you. The branded premium fuels (superunleaded and diesel) in my area are STILL the same price (around £1.45/ltr) as they were before and during the worst of the lockdown. Only standard fuel prices dropped, and now that people are slowly trickling back to work again, they are steadily rising again.

As I've been doing my normal low mileage throughout, I sadly won't see any benefit, having filled up in late February and not needed to again since (still have around half a tank full left).

Oh well.

Any - Premium fuel ? - madf

It seems to work for me.

How do you calculate your mpg?

It seems to work for me.

How do you calculate your mpg?

I'd be willing to bet this is more likely due to the roads being less busy (even now) over the last 4 months than anything else, assuming the journeys were comparable (including the weather/temperature, which has been [up to this week] generally better than usual).

My normal to lockdown usage hasn't been that much different for the time of year, when I mainly use my car well outside of the rush hour, and thus I suspect my mpg wouldn't have changed much, if at all.

Any - Premium fuel ? - Halmerend

We've had the Suzuki Swift in the family for 9 years now.

It consistenty does 47/48 mpg in winter and 50/51 mpg in summer. It's quite noticeable how the fuel consumption drops a little when the temperatture is significantly higher.

Journeys are consistently the same each day, relatively short and local.

We've had the Suzuki Swift in the family for 9 years now.

It consistenty does 47/48 mpg in winter and 50/51 mpg in summer. It's quite noticeable how the fuel consumption drops a little when the temperatture is significantly higher.

Journeys are consistently the same each day, relatively short and local.

Best conditions for mpg are late spring/early summer and early Autumn, when its rarely hot enough to need the A/C on much in the day time and the heat of the engine (especially petrol engined cars) provides most of the heat (and not the A/C) to keep the car warm at night. Not too humid either, which helps.

In such weather, I can get 46-48mpg (average) on my 14yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol, about 42-44mpg in the summer and about 34-37mph in winter.

Using superunleaded makes about 3-5% difference (1-2mpg), but so does giving it a couple of doses (1 per tankful of fuel) of Redex for a fraction of the cost, the effect of which lasts for a good few months at least as injectors are completely clean (they never get that gribby anyway).

I'd probably use superunleaded if the cost premium wasn't so much, as I keep my cars a LONG time.

Any - Premium fuel ? - Stackman II

MPG calculated from filling the tank then zeroing the trip.

Typical range gone up from 300 to 330 miles.

I largely ignore the on-board computer which is generally 10% optimistic on fuel consumption compared to my figures.

Any - Premium fuel ? - 72 dudes

Anyone notice the advice regarding using premium fuel has changed in the Ask HJ section ?

"There is no independent data or research which shows that premium fuel is worth the extra money over standard fuel. Shell may promote the fact that their V Power is better for an engine but there is nothing to verify this. For the vast majority of cars on the road (performance cars and some classics excluded), standard 95RON fuel is more than adequate. As an independent consumer website, our aim is to ensure readers aren't out of pocket - the tiny economy savings you may see from premium fuel would not justify the extra price per litre in our opinion."

Probably the new owners flexing their muscles slightly?

Good advice. I work part time in a Sainsbury's petrol station and am constantly amazed by the number of people with older n/a small cars who fill up with Super Unleaded.

Still if some people are happy putting through the odd tank of premium fuel because either they feel their car runs better on it, or it gives them a feel good buzz, then that's fine.

As Stackman says Tesco Momentum is a good price at the moment, £1.11 around here, so it can't do any harm.

Edited by 72 dudes on 09/07/2020 at 09:18

Probably the new owners flexing their muscles slightly?

Good advice. I work part time in a Sainsbury's petrol station and am constantly amazed by the number of people with older n/a small cars who fill up with Super Unleaded.

Still if some people are happy putting through the odd tank of premium fuel because either they feel their car runs better on it, or it gives them a feel good buzz, then that's fine.

As Stackman says Tesco Momentum is a good price at the moment, £1.11 around here, so it can't do any harm.

To be fair, Sainsbury's in normally amongst the cheapest for their superfuels at about 3p - 6p a litre difference to normal fuels, even before lockdown - probably because theirs in the lowest Octane rating (97) of the group (not sure about what superdiesel they sell).

I tried using it for a while about 3-4 years ago, and it made only a small difference to my (standard car's) mpg / performance, and slightly less again than using the branded superunleaded - mainly Shell - which itself was hugely more expensive (then 10p - 15p a litre).

In the end, I was, at most giving my car an annual treat when going on the long run on holiday down to the West Country and a couple of doses of Redex per year outside of that, which seem to provide an almost identical effect but at a far lower cost (especially when bought when on sale).

Am I correct in saying that the Tesco Momentum fuel (petrol, not sure about any diesel equivalent) is also E10 (higher biofuel content than others, including branded station superfuels ), which may not be good long term for many old-er cars, even ones designed/built in the early 2000s?

Any - Premium fuel ? - Andrew-T

My opinion - and that is all it is - is that if your engine and ancillaries are in good 'clean' running condition, there won't be much advantage to using special-grade fuel. If it's not, the additives in top-grade may do a clean-up job, giving you a perceptible improvement in running, and just possibly consumption. After one or two fills you might switch back to 'regular'.

My impression, having one diesel and one petrol car, is that the effect is more noticeable in a diesel, presumably because that is inherently a dirtier system. I see no point in running on top-grade all the time though.

Any - Premium fuel ? - Terry W

I would want some very clear evidence before spending extra on premium fuel.

Over a year for (say) -12,000 miles at 40 mpg = 300 gallons - a premium of 10p a litre (45p a gallon) adds £135 to annual costs. Won't break the bank but why waste it.

I suspect that owners reporting improvements either delude themselves into beliving they can tell the difference, or routinely exploit any small performance increase premium fuels bring,

Any - Premium fuel ? - Mr D Og

I buy 98 RON once about every 3 or 4 times I fill up as I understand premium petrol cleans the engine more/better than standard fuels.

The manual for my car contains the following caution:

The unleaded petrol in accordance with the prescribed standards meets all
the conditions for a smooth running engine. Therefore, we recommend that
you do not add any fuel additives to the petrol - there is a risk of engine damage
or damage to the exhaust system.

And that's why I don't use fuel additives.

Any - Premium fuel ? - FP

Despite the manufacturer's message quoted above, is there really any evidence that fuel additives can do harm to an engine or exhaust system?

I mean, we've had the debate on this forum ad nauseam about whether additives or premium fuels do any GOOD, but additives doing HARM?

Edited by FP on 09/07/2020 at 11:03

Any - Premium fuel ? - Sulphur Man

That advice is certainly questionable, even before entering into subjective experiences of car owners.

1) HJ was adamant that all WLTP/NEDC official figures were achieved on super fuels, usually Shell V-Power. Volvo categorically stated this to him.

2) Quite a lot of performance engines benefit from super fuels. Honda's 2.0VTEC in the S2000 was ran both hot and slower if not on 98RON.

3) Higher octane and higher cetane (diesels) create more torque, allowing increased efficiency. TC auto boxes will change up sooner, so in the hands of a careful driver, economy should improve.

Finally, our two cars, one petrol auto, one diesel manual, are quieter, smoother and more responsive on V-Power. The economy gains are hard to pin down, as no two journeys are the same, but occasional switches to 95RON, supermarket fuels is a marked difference.

Perhaps Shell could respond to the new advice in HJ section?

That advice is certainly questionable, even before entering into subjective experiences of car owners.

1) HJ was adamant that all WLTP/NEDC official figures were achieved on super fuels, usually Shell V-Power. Volvo categorically stated this to him.

2) Quite a lot of performance engines benefit from super fuels. Honda's 2.0VTEC in the S2000 was ran both hot and slower if not on 98RON.

3) Higher octane and higher cetane (diesels) create more torque, allowing increased efficiency. TC auto boxes will change up sooner, so in the hands of a careful driver, economy should improve.

Finally, our two cars, one petrol auto, one diesel manual, are quieter, smoother anad more responsive on V-Power. The economy gains are hard to pin down, as no two journeys are the same, but occasional switches to 95RON, supermarket fuels is a marked difference.

Where on earth is the evidence for your third paragraph?

Never heard of higher octane producing more torque.

Any - Premium fuel ? - paul 1963

Quite simply higher octain contains more stored energy, when it ignites in the combustion chamber it creates a higher pressure on the piston crown pushing it back down the bore with more force, so in theory you shouldn't need to open the throttle as much for a given amount of acceleration using regular fuel.

That said I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames......

Quite simply higher octain contains more stored energy, when it ignites in the combustion chamber it creates a higher pressure on the piston crown pushing it back down the bore with more force, so in theory you shouldn't need to open the throttle as much for a given amount of acceleration using regular fuel.

That said I'm quite prepared to be shot down in flames......

You are shot down in flames.

NO difference in energy content. It is different additives in miniscule amounts...

<< NO difference in energy content. It is different additives in miniscule amounts...>>

In molecular terms, the 'energy content' will be almost identical for different grades of petrol, because it derives from the bonds between carbon and hydrogen which are broken in the combustion process. The difference is in the branching of the carbon chains, which affects the rate of combustion in the cylinder. More branching makes for a smoother burn. When the Octane rating was first devised IIRC it was based on a figure of 100 for iso-octane, the most branched C8 easily available.

Any - Premium fuel ? - mcb100

The higher the octane number, the more resistant to knock (or pre-ignition), so an engine can run with the ignition with a greater degree of ignition advance (and a higher compression ratio) thus increasing torque output. Engines only produce torque (and heat), the PS or BHP is a contrived formula.

Edited by mcb100 on 09/07/2020 at 13:53

Any - Premium fuel ? - RT

Higher cetane doesn't have the same effect in diesels as higher octane does in petrols.

But if all this was true about torque there would be loads of empirical evidence wouldn't there?

As the OP quotes, none exists!

The key line in there is 'performance cars and some classics excluded'. If the engine mapping is designed to benefit from a higher octane number, then the science says that there will be an improvement in torque output.

They don't fuel F1 cars at Tesco for a reason.

Any - Premium fuel ? - _

Personally, since moving to Colchester I have used Asda, They only sell one grade, so that's what it gets. When we were going to belgium I would fill up at the tesco just outside dover ,

Even the cheapo 91 ron petrol e10 in Carrefour at Dunkirk has never seemed to trouble whichever car i have been in.

I just try to use busy petrol stations...

Any - Premium fuel ? - concrete

Finally, our two cars, one petrol auto, one diesel manual, are quieter, smoother and more responsive on V-Power. The economy gains are hard to pin down, as no two journeys are the same, but occasional switches to 95RON, supermarket fuels is a marked difference.

I am no boffin when it comes to the science behind all this. I only speak from experience and that indicates that I get lower fuel consumption when using premium diesel. Never bothered with it in my old Skoda Superb 1.9tdi PD130 but my new Volvo appreciates the difference. I went from approx 43mpg to 48mpg when I switched. I do a similar long run a few times a year to North Yorkshire from Kent and this allowed me to judge the different fuels. As for smoothness; the car is a TC auto 8 speed and the engine is the latest design so they are quite smooth anyway. I also tow a 1450Kg caravan from time to time. I only do approx 8-10K miles per annum so the premium price doesn't bother me that much. IMHO it is worth it but understand other points of view.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Premium fuel ? - groaver

I love this old chestnut. It never fails to cause debate.

Edited by groaver on 09/07/2020 at 17:13

That sounds like the words of a sceptic. This is a regular topic which always illustrates the old dictum that most people just believe what they want to. Some of them will carry on doing that even when shown strong scientific evidence. As my earlier post says, I am not suggesting any great benefits of super-fuel, but I see nothing wrong in spending an extra quid or two to clean up an engine occasionally, especially just before a MoT test, for example.

On the other hand, if the only consideration is to spend as few ££ as possible, basic supermarket stuff is the way to go.

That sounds like the words of a sceptic. This is a regular topic which always illustrates the old dictum that most people just believe what they want to. Some of them will carry on doing that even when shown strong scientific evidence. As my earlier post says, I am not suggesting any great benefits of super-fuel, but I see nothing wrong in spending an extra quid or two to clean up an engine occasionally, especially just before a MoT test, for example.

On the other hand, if the only consideration is to spend as few ££ as possible, basic supermarket stuff is the way to go.

I use super unleaded exclusively.

Any - Premium fuel ? - thunderbird

To give a alternative view I will never use super unleaded again unless the manufacturer specifically specifies it (unlikely on the cars I buy). Tried it in the Focus 1.8 petrol back in about 2003 for about 3 tanks. Did not notice any change to the way it ran but it did appear to do a few extra miles between fill ups. But towards the end of the 3rd tank it started to run poorly (just over 4 years old, probably 50,000 miles) and when I checked the plugs they were black. Cleaned them and refitted and filled with a tankful of Asda, seemed fine. After another 3 tanks of Asda checked them again and still fine. Ran car for another 5 years or more mostly of Asda and never had another issue.

Our other car gets regular unleaded exclusively, supermarket or whatever is cheapest.

The Superb's manual states it should be used as does the inside of the fuel cap.

Do I notice a difference?

I've never used anything else so cannot say.

That's interesting, I've not heard of 'mainstream' car specifying exclusively premium fuel. Which engine is it?

That's interesting, I've not heard of 'mainstream' car specifying exclusively premium fuel. Which engine is it?

2.0 litre turbo'd VAG engine.

Does it state an octane number requirement? Regular 95 is called Premium.

To give a alternative view I will never use super unleaded again unless the manufacturer specifically specifies it (unlikely on the cars I buy). Tried it in the Focus 1.8 petrol back in about 2003 for about 3 tanks. Did not notice any change to the way it ran but it did appear to do a few extra miles between fill ups. But towards the end of the 3rd tank it started to run poorly (just over 4 years old, probably 50,000 miles) and when I checked the plugs they were black. Cleaned them and refitted and filled with a tankful of Asda, seemed fine. After another 3 tanks of Asda checked them again and still fine. Ran car for another 5 years or more mostly of Asda and never had another issue.

I'm wondering if that issue was because you used a superunleaded supply that was E10 an not E5, as older engines (possibly that 1.8 petrol) may not like the higher ethonol content - this was highlighet in media reports when it was (erroneously, in my view) proposed that all fuels have their bio-fuel content upped from 5 to 10%.

There was a list of cars that included engines designed or prodcued in around 2004 (I think) and older, that would need to keep using a more limited supply of E5 (rather like old leded petrol when we changed over 25-30 years ago) filling stations or use special additives instead.

My Mazda3 1.6 petrol wasn't on the list as far as know, but I suspect it only *just* was new enough, as that engine first appeared in late 2003 I think. I would rather keep to E5 if I can. If I recall, some of the superfuels (not Tesco), probably only at some branded filling stations, have no biofuel content, and is perhaps why some owners of older/classic cars may be force into paying a huge premium (pardon the pun) to keep their car useable.

All through my car driving life, I keep detailed fuel usage records.

I have tried premium fuel on every car I owned. With one exception it made no difference to fuel consumption or engine running. The exception was a 1963 Lotus Elan S3 tuned to Sprint performance + a bit 130bhp. It ran best on premium fuel

As for cleaning? Used She Super Expensive Diesel on Yaris Diesel. Made zero difference at MOT time : to pass the soot test it still required 20 miles at 5,000rpm (low mileage town journeys)

So on the basis of my own experience only - I treat with disdain claims made without detailed records ##- I say only required where stated or for performance cars. Cost wise, it is just added expense with no return...

## Claims made on the basis of mpg readouts on car displays can be dismissed out of hand..

Claims made on the basis of mpg readouts on car displays can be dismissed out of hand..

I don't see why, if fuel-mpg comparisons are made on the same car. There should be no extra variables, unless superfuel improves performance so much that your driving style changes. The absolute values may be wrong, but the comparison should be valid.

Claims made on the basis of mpg readouts on car displays can be dismissed out of hand..

I don't see why, if fuel-mpg comparisons are made on the same car. There should be no extra variables, unless superfuel improves performance so much that your driving style changes. The absolute values may be wrong, but the comparison should be valid.

If its one owner and one car using different fuels its possibly OK but if 2 owners are comparing notes than its likely to be total nonsense.

To keep things totally consistent and worthy of comparison several tank to tank fill ups are necessary but even then you should use the same garage, same pump and be pointing in the same direction (cross gradients for drainage make a huge difference to the amount you can get in) plus stop at the first click each time (hoping it stops at exactly the same point in the filler neck).

<< To keep things totally consistent and worthy of comparison several tank to tank fill ups are necessary but even then you should use the same garage, same pump and be pointing in the same direction (cross gradients for drainage make a huge difference to the amount you can get in) plus stop at the first click each time (hoping it stops at exactly the same point in the filler neck). >>

I have never believed in the brimming method, partly because of the reasons you give, and partly because I don't like having a full tank anyway, especially in warm weather. I buy fuel in units of 10 litres (i.e. 20 or 30 at a time) to simplify calculations, and if I feel really keen I plot a graph and calibrate my odometer against km-posts on the motorway - tho those aren't always in the right place after road work. My daughter works in Trading Standards and used to do filling station checks, so I take pump accuracy at face value. I think pump fraud died out some time ago.

I'm wondering if that issue was because you used a superunleaded supply that was E10 an not E5, as older engines (possibly that 1.8 petrol) may not like the higher ethonol content - this was highlighet in media reports when it was (erroneously, in my view) proposed that all fuels have their bio-fuel content upped from 5 to 10%.

The issue I had was in about 2003. Did E10 petrol actually exist back then? And the garage was a Shell station, very expensive stuff at the time.

Since the E5 or E10 topic hit the radar I have yet to see a garage selling this mysterious E10 petrol. All the sites I have used (mostly supermarkets with small sites on holiday) have the pumps clearly labeled E5. Even Morrisons, which some posters on other sites insist is poor quality E10 petrol label the pumps E5 and I have never had an issue using it.

For the record the handbook in the Nissan and the Skoda clearly state that E10 petrol is fine but any fuel with more than 10% ethanol will damage the car.

Any - Premium fuel ? - sammy1

I brim the tank if going on a long journey and set the trip. I then let the tank go as low as practical and brim again and then do the calculation which is good enough to check if fuel consumption is dropping off for any reason. More accurate obviously over a few fill ups. I never buy premium and always go for cheapest fuel.. Never had any fuel related problems

Any - Premium fuel ? - MVP

Definitely more torque from Tesco Momentum in my 2003 Forester X

Going up the A3 Hogs back I can do it in 4th gear on Momentum at 50mph but need to peg it down to 3rd on 95 octane.

I normally use Momentum or BP 95 but years ago put a tankful of Jet in. I thought my car was due a service or something was going wrong as the car felt awful. The next tank of BP sorted it out and back to normal. It's a low performance, non-turbo engine but fuel makes a huge difference for some reason.

Incidentally, I own a S2 Etype that seems to run as well on 95 as 99, though I usually use Momentum.

There will be if its a Turbo because as if I remember correctly Subaru specified high octane fuel for the turbo models. Not sure about the N/A models but i doubt it would make much (if any) difference in those even if it was recommended.

There will be if its a Turbo because as if I remember correctly Subaru specified high octane fuel for the turbo models. Not sure about the N/A models but i doubt it would make much (if any) difference in those even if it was recommended.

My N/A BRZ required 98 Ron.

But the BRZ is not a 2003 off roader.

Yes funny that, isn't it.

Sorry TB, that was meant to be a witty retort.

Upon seeing it again today it looks sarcastic and sharp.

I apologise.

Sorry TB, that was meant to be a witty retort.

Upon seeing it again today it looks sarcastic and sharp.

I apologise.

Perhaps I should expand on my original comment.

The BRZ/GT86 produce 200 bhp from a N/A 2 litre engine. In relation to roadcars that is a pretty high state of tune. The original BMW M3 produced about that from a N/A 2.3 (the Evo's produced a bit more), at the same time a Sierra Cosworth needed a turbo to get 200 bhp from a 2 litre (a rubbish figure by todays standards).

Go back to the 60's and 100 bhp per litre was accepted as an excellent figure from a racing engine, the all conquering Cosworth only produced 400 bhp form its N/A 3 litre which increased to 500 bhp over its 20 years of use in F1 cars. The Cosworth BDA used in fords rallying Escorts produced about 240 bhp from a N/A 2 litre after a decade of development and that needed to rev to 12,000 before you had all that power. And those cars used an evil brew of petrol to get less bhp/litre than the BRZ/GT86 get today using pump fuel.

So I think its pretty fair to say that its only to be expected that the BRZ/GT86 need 98 RON to get max power but what is just as incredible, they will still run safely (but a bit down on power) on 95 RON wheras the monsters of 50 to 30 years ago would melt pistons without the special brews.

Any - Premium fuel ? - RT

So I think its pretty fair to say that its only to be expected that the BRZ/GT86 need 98 RON to get max power but what is just as incredible, they will still run safely (but a bit down on power) on 95 RON wheras the monsters of 50 to 30 years ago would melt pistons without the special brews.

That's the benefit of modern electronics

That's the benefit of modern electronics

I think I read somewhere that the 2.0 litre engine in the BRZ is the block off a pre-existing motor with a new head and that they took a gearbox that had its roots in a truck originally.

What I did learn is that Subaru's NA engines are not very good at producing torque.

But both are boxer engines, I believe, even if one is turbocharged. Maybe that type needs or significantly benefits from the higher octane fuels. No surprise for the high performance cars though.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 13/07/2020 at 14:11

Going up the A3 Hogs back I can do it in 4th gear on Momentum at 50mph but need to peg it down to 3rd on 95 octane.

I normally use Momentum or BP 95 but years ago put a tankful of Jet in. I thought my car was due a service or something was going wrong as the car felt awful. The next tank of BP sorted it out and back to normal. It's a low performance, non-turbo engine but fuel makes a huge difference for some reason.

Incidentally, I own a S2 Etype that seems to run as well on 95 as 99, though I usually use Momentum.

It might be for the Jet fuel (pardon the pun) that it was from a less-used filling station, and so the fuel may have been degraded a bit. Still, it's probably nowehere near as likely as just using lower grade fuel generally, and or the Jet stuff may not have the larger amount of cleaning agents as those in the 'top' branded ones like BP, Texaco, ESSO and Shell.

Any - Premium fuel ? - Big John

When I used to tune Ford Essex V6 engines back in the day once you had everything sorted (cam timing and the flipping carp oil pump and shaft made of butter were really important with this engine) - with a higher compression ratio then running on a higher Octane fuel and advancing the ignition timing to just under the pinking level made a huge difference to performance. Putting a lower Octane petrol in made it run like a dog. This of course was in the days when 5 star petrol was available (just -was being phased out at the time) - I think 5 star was 100RON?

Fast forward to 2020 then it really depends on the engine, compression ratio, action of turbo's, engine management, anti knock sensors etc whether it makes and difference at all. On my Fiat Panda 1.2 NA port injection higher octane petrol make no difference at all. On my Skoda Superb 1.4tsi Turbo direct injection then you can tell with the way it runs and I can just detect pinking in some circumstances with 95 RON (very hard to hear these days with extensive sound proofing but my ears/brain pick it up - bit of a throw back to my misspent youth/tuning days!) - 99RON makes a difference to the running but little difference to the economy in my case, measured over numerous fill ups using Spritmonitor.

Edited by Big John on 11/07/2020 at 22:11

Any - Premium fuel ? - mark999

I worked in the additives industry a few years ago. There is a big difference in the detergent quality used and also the dosing. (Regular branded fuels have a keep clean dose, super fuels have a clean up dose). The additive companies run fleets of field test vehicles to validate their formulations.