What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Trilogy.

Revealed at last.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ineos-grenadier-2021

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - groaver

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

However, to me, it looks like a Chinese knock- off version of a Defender.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Heidfirst

I see lots of influences - Land Cruiser, Unimog etc. as well as the original Defender

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - badbusdriver

I see lots of influences - Land Cruiser, Unimog etc. as well as the original Defender

Struggling to see anything other than Defender myself.........?.

Nevertheless, as the prices for new Defender is set to start at more than £40k, that would make the Grenadier a direct competitor. Could be interesting.

Talking of Defender influences, I have quite a fancy for an Iveco Massif myself. Not sure why, maybe because they are so ugly!.

It's meant to look like a Defender. Can see a bit of G-wagen in it. Rear lights looks a tad on the prominent side.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - gordonbennet

I wish them every luck, especially if assembly in Wales becomes reality.

6 pot BMW engines, so 3+ litre lumps with some proper grunt, at last a Defender type gets the Diesel engine it was never granted at Solihull.

Hopefully those eyesore rear lights don't see the light of day on production models, toytown lights are not wanted or needed on a vehicle of this type.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - sammy1

Yes, factory is being built in Bridgend south Wales to employ some 500 people. BMW engines petrol and diesel so at least they got the basics right, Hopefully it will lead to other models which will appeal to more mainstream customers, Aston Martin is building its new SUV in St Athans some 15 miles away

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - daveyK_UK
Is this being built in the old Ford factory?

I hope it’s a success, it ticks all the boxes for defender purists.

Hopefully it’s mechanical designed to be worked on at the side of the road without the need of a laptop, lots to be said for simplicity and accessibility.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - dan86
Is this being built in the old Ford factory? I hope it’s a success, it ticks all the boxes for defender purists. Hopefully it’s mechanical designed to be worked on at the side of the road without the need of a laptop, lots to be said for simplicity and accessibility.

The only issue with that is to meet emissions legislation it will need all the sensors and after treatment that goes with modern vehicles so will no doubt need plugging in to a laptop to find issues.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Falkirk Bairn

>>so will no doubt need plugging in to a laptop to find issues.

It has been said in the past that the old Royal Enfield motorcycle is alive & well in Indian - partly based on the principle of it being easier to repair than the locally built Hondas etc.

Dan86 is right saying simple does not describe BMW 3 litre, ZF auto, emissions + electronics.

In the past Toyota Land Cruisers sold in the Europe had different engines (more complex) than those that are sold in 3rd world countries

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - focussed

>>so will no doubt need plugging in to a laptop to find issues.

It has been said in the past that the old Royal Enfield motorcycle is alive & well in Indian - partly based on the principle of it being easier to repair than the locally built Hondas etc.

Dan86 is right saying simple does not describe BMW 3 litre, ZF auto, emissions + electronics.

In the past Toyota Land Cruisers sold in the Europe had different engines (more complex) than those that are sold in 3rd world countries

Royal Oilfields (as they used to be known as in the UK) have come on a bit recently and have gone complicated!

https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/motorcycles/

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Stackman II

Seems a curious way to approach the market with such a blatant crib of the old Defender.

To me it looks like the Spanish Santana models in that its almost, but not quite, just like a Defender.

At this price point and aimed at the utility user will there be that many takers over the alternatives of the latest Land Rover or Toyota Land Cruiser not to mention the varied selection of Hi-Lux type pick-ups.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Sofa Spud

The chassis of Grenadier has departed considerably from the Land Rover Defender design, even though it's still a ladder frame with live axles. So it's a pity the body styling isn't a bit more original too. For example, why retain the plastic 'eyebrow' wheel-arch extensions instead of making the whole body wider, giving more interior space.

Land Rover only used the plastic extensions because the 90 and 110 had a wider track than the previous Series 3, Why Land Rover didn't go for a wider body back then I don't know, since almost every panel affected by any widening was different from the Series 3 anyway!

I like those plastic sacrificial wheelarch extensions on 4x4's, in narrow places off road the chances are a clout will only damage the extension or those lower door panels which are usually clipped or plastic screwed on and designed to break off under enough force leaving no damage to the main body, just had this exact thing happen on our Landcruiser, easy repair and no damage at all to the nsr quarter panel.

Same with proper bumpers fitted for a reason and not as part of a vehicle's styling.

'''At this price point and aimed at the utility user will there be that many takers over the alternatives of the latest Land Rover or Toyota Land Cruiser not to mention the varied selection of Hi-Lux type pick-ups.'''

Proper live axled rough simple unbreakable Landcruisers are no longer available in Britain and haven't been since 1998 (IFS since then), we now only get Prado and that's a £50k+ vehicle unless in commercial form with only a 2.8 litre 4 pot engine, hopefully Toyota will see fit to offer a bigger Diesel in Hilux or Prado in due course as fitted elsewhere, no shooting brake variants of the various other excellent Toyota 4x4s offered here at all either.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/07/2020 at 13:00

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - badbusdriver

I like those plastic sacrificial wheelarch extensions on 4x4's, in narrow places off road the chances are a clout will only damage the extension or those lower door panels which are usually clipped or plastic screwed on and designed to break off under enough force leaving no damage to the main body, just had this exact thing happen on our Landcruiser, easy repair and no damage at all to the nsr quarter panel.

Years and years ago i remember reading a test of a Pinzguuer 6x6 in an off road magazine. It was fitted with wooden rubbing strips, the reason being that in serious off roading, they would work best with the kind of surface you are likely to be rubbing against!.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Sofa Spud

Before the arrival of the coil-sprung Land Rovers, people managed without the plastic wheelarches! Most 'working' Land Rovers get dents and scratches anyway, I don't think the plastic wheelarches give much protection against that and they also get torn easily if they're of the soft black rubbery type as fitted to the basic farmer's type Land Rovers.

The Grenadier will be marketed ONLINE and at trade fairs, off road centres and relevant country fairs. Servicing and repairs will be via mobile mechanics and a tie up with an existing national chain. Presumably if factory parts are required they will need a 24hour courier?. They are aiming at 25000 units per annum. Sounds like a very modern approach but will it work in practice?

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - Heidfirst

no shooting brake variants of the various other excellent Toyota 4x4s offered here at all either.

Highlander is coming though.

Excellent news, presumably with a similar drivetrain to Lexus SUV's?

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - RT

It's on the same platform as Lexus RX so may well get the same hybrid powertrain.

Only if you don't look at one.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - daveyjp

Now looking like it may not happen in South Wales as Mercedes are vacating the smart factory in Hambach and it is a similar size to what is required by Ineos.

Yes I read that Ineos is reviewing its manufacturing of the Grenadier, hardly surprising in view of the current state of the car market. It seems hard enough for the many car manufacturers competing for sales without something new breaking into the market.

I am not alone in noticing that the price of new cars is getting beyond a lot of pockets. Small cars such as the A1 and Minis seem out of proportion to larger cars put I suppose its the market. I saw a Works MINI cooper advertised at £42k more than twice the price as the base model.

Spiritual successor to Land Rover Defender - Ineos - groaver

www.carscoops.com/2020/07/ineos-interested-in-daim.../

Oh well. That was good whilst it lasted.