What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - 5Q Road Signs - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The alteration of 50 mph signs to 5Q seems to have proliferated in Derbyshire. Seems to be more than a joke. Anyone else seen them?

Any - 5Q Road Signs - bathtub tom

This was reported in a Sheffield newspaper in February:

www.thestar.co.uk/news/why-someone-altering-0s-she...1

Any - 5Q Road Signs - alan1302

Someone with much too much time on their hands

Any - 5Q Road Signs - Sofa Spud

My guess is that it's some hardcore petrolhead who's opposed to speed limits who believes that altering the sign means that it no longer has any legal status.

Any - 5Q Road Signs - alan1302

My guess is that it's some hardcore petrolhead who's opposed to speed limits who believes that altering the sign means that it no longer has any legal status.

I'd call them a hardcore idiot

Any - 5Q Road Signs - Manatee

Has there been an almost universal reduction from the NSL (60) to 50 on single carriageway A roads as in Oxfordshire?

I can imagine that being very unpopular.

Any - 5Q Road Signs - Andrew-T

Has there been an almost universal reduction from the NSL (60) to 50 on single carriageway A roads as in Oxfordshire?

A couple of years ago 40 and 50 limits spread like a virus across many roads in NE Wales, until the A5104 is (I am pretty sure) completely limited from Penyffordd to Corwen, where just a year or two earlier it was all NSL but for a small village or two. They were closely followed by average-speed spy cameras. There is no obvious need to control the speed of cars, so I presume it is to make bikers pay for their fun.