What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia/LPG - joegrundy

I may soon be in the market for a new/different car, possibly new. I am tempted by Dacia and currently fancy a Duster 130 Tce comfort, which pre-reg are popping up at about £13.5k.

Actually, a Sandero would fit my needs, but I was put off by the engine choice. My son had a 1.2 Ambience for 4.5 years from new. It was a really good car, and the only problem that showed was a drive shaft seal minor oil leak (spotted and fixed by Dacia under warranty during the 4 year service). I think that the newer 1.0 sce would be similar. I was never a fan of the 0.9 tce, having tried it in a Clio.

On the latest Sandero, they offer the 1.0 tce bi-fuel (petrol and lpg) engine. I'm not particularly interested in the lpg option (I only do about 9k pa) but I can't help thinking that a 100 hp engine in the Sandero could be a good thing. Recently I test-drove a Duster with the 1.0 tce 100 engine and it was, to my mind, ok if not sparkling.

Anyone have any experience of these?

Dacia/LPG - KB.

I keep seeing that a new / heavily revised Sandero is in final stages of testing and, according to the motoring press, is (or, at least, was) due out next year.

Dacia/LPG - daveyjp

I don't know why Dacia offer such a wide range of engines for what is considered a basic car..

An 80bhp and a 110 bhp petrol option should be enough for their whole range.

Once you get into £13.5k there are a lot of alternative vehicles on the market.

Dacia/LPG - RT

I don't know why Dacia offer such a wide range of engines for what is considered a basic car..

Because they can? As part of the Renault Group the engines are readily available

Dacia/LPG - alan1302

Because they can? As part of the Renault Group the engines are readily available

Keeps costs higher though to offer the car with different options and you would think they would limit them to keep costs down and the prices they charge.

Dacia/LPG - badbusdriver

Keeps costs higher though to offer the car with different options and you would think they would limit them to keep costs down and the prices they charge.

Trouble is, in this country anyway, while folk might want a 'cheap car', they still want all the options and the mod cons.

Just look at used examples. When Dacia was reintroduced into the UK market, much was made of the entry level Sandero Access 1.2 petrol, at a remarkable £5995. So, you might think folk were jumping at the opportunity to get into a brand new, family sized supermini for that price, right?. Hmm, on Autotrader, out of the 703 Sandero's currently for sale, just 11 are the basic Access model (excluding brand new cars), 3 of these are the 1.2 and the rest are the newer 1.0. Same goes for the Duster, out of the 1506 currently on Autotrader, just 6 are the bog standard 1.6 Access 2WD, with a further 3 being the (slightly dearer) 4x4 version.

So Dacia, while still very much playing the 'good value' trump card, have to offer buyers what they want.

To me, the brand's biggest failing is the lack of auto options for the Sandero and Logan MCV. In terms of its dimensions and layout, the Sandero (or Logan MCW) Stepway would be absolutely perfect for us, but alas, no 2 pedal option.

Dacia/LPG - Ethan Edwards

That Lpg option would be attractive for minicabs. Its very cheap motoring if you have a supply nearby.

Dacia/LPG - badbusdriver

That Lpg option would be attractive for minicabs. Its very cheap motoring if you have a supply nearby.

That is a big if, and going by this comment by Big John on another current thread, even if you have an LPG supplier at the moment, that may not be the case in six months time..........,

I used to be a fan of LPG but around me the LPG filling stations seem to be vanishing one by one. Also companies that used to convert and service lpg installations also becoming rare.

Dacia/LPG - Ethan Edwards

I gave it up because despite having five garages selling it on my usual commute. I've lost count of the number of times they were "sold out" or waiting for a delivery, or the pumps broke etc. That said when it all worked right, it was pretty sweet.