What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - dragonfly101

We're a two car family and I've been practising bangernomics for these past few years (after a bruising experience with DPF problems on a new car), just buying sub-£1000 cars, spending as little as possible on them, and scrapping them when faced with a large bill.

This has worked very well for the large family car - had a brilliant 2001 406 diesel that cost £500 and lasted me for two years, and an even better '98 reg honda accord that cost £350 and lasted three years.

But the concept has failed me on smaller cars (that my wife uses), head gaskets going on a fiat punto at 70k miles, and on a pug 206 at 75k.

My wife needs a small car for her 60 mile a day (total) commute to work (she is petite, and not really comfortable driving larger cars), she'd also prefer an automatic.

Are there any 15 year old small petrol automatics (talking fiesta, 206 size - not supermini) that would be up to doing 60 miles a day for a couple of years? Or would we be better off just spending more on a younger car?

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - dan86

Toyota yaris, Honda Jazz are always worth a shout also the Suzuki swift is s good little car with excellent reliability.

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - nellyjak

Depends how lucky you feel.?...driving 60 mile each day I would guess needs some degree of reliability for your wife.?...a cheap 15 year old car brings risks with it.

I would always recommend the Toyota Yaris....generally these little b*****s just keep going.

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - nellyjak

Duplicate post...ignore

Edited by nellyjak on 06/10/2019 at 17:40

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - mss1tw

Japanese petrol all the way - until recently I ran a 2003 CRV (So within your age range if not your size limit).

I only got rid of it due to a knock sensor fault I couldn't be bothered to look into any further.

Never once failed to get me there or back again even with the engine light on. Early 2000s was a pretty good era of car engineering really.

My parents still run a 2003 plate Civic 1.6. They must have had it nearly 10 years now. Gets nothing but a yearly service and timing belt as needed. Just goes on and on.

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - SLO76
The problem here is the need for an automatic gearbox which severely limits your choice in the supermini class. It can be done however your chances will be much improved if she can manage something a little bigger such as a Civic or a Corolla both of which can be had for £1k in decent order. Let us know roughly where you are and I’ll take a look at what’s nearby when I get time.
Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - elekie&a/c doctor
Focus or Astra 1600 auto would be my choice for £1k or less . Both very durable and both run Jap automatic gearboxes.
Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - badbusdriver

I'm all for bangernomics as a cheap runabout, but not under these circumstances and requirements. 60 miles per day?, over a year with a few weeks off, that is about 15k a year. Trouble is (and this is ignoring the fact that there will be a degree of chance in the purchase of any £1k car), the most reliable combination at this budget is going to be a n/a petrol coupled with a T/C (torque converter) auto. But T/C auto's, certainly at this sort of age, are not going to be efficient and something like a 1.6 Fiesta or Focus is not going to breach 40mpg, maybe more like 35. Going by the average UK fuel price at the moment, that would work out at just over £208 per month. Most efficient (reliable) petrol option would be a CVT transmission, like in the Honda Jazz (except for the 2008-2011 2nd gen cars) and 2011> Toyota Yaris. These will manage 45-50mpg and are reliable as long as the transmission fluid is changed as required. Cars with an automated manual geaarbox are also more efficient, but can suffer from unreliability and will require you to adapt your driving to work your way around their 'characteristics'.

You say your wife prefers auto (i do too!), that suggests she is not restricted to auto. Going for a manual would not only give you much more choice in cars, but will also give you much better mpg.

But whatever car you go for, given its intended useage, make sure it has decent tyres all round, and i don't just mean tread depth, but brand. Cheap tyres are very much a false economy when your life can depend on them!.

Also, not very sure what this means?,

(talking fiesta, 206 size - not supermini)

seeing as both the Fiesta and 206 are supermini's!

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - csgmart

Never had any issues with VW Polos and I've had several that I've run as 'bangers'.

None of them automatic though.

Solid choices for (8->15 year old) small cars - gordonbennet

Your budget really isn't enough for what you want.

Best bets IMHO are Yaris 1 and Daihatsu Sirion 05 on, but the better of these are at least £1700 and heading towards £3k asking price, particularly Sirions which tend to be really low mileage, can be found cheaper in manual form and they've got into the used market typical of this type of car they get bruised abused and neglected, you ideally want one having had only one or two previous mature owners.

They tend to be for sale at dealers, typical first owners don't normally sell privately, and who can blame them these days, so finding that decent little motor for sale privately at the home of the owner is going to be a needle in a haystack job.

Doing nothing to these cars, in pure bangernomics tradition, won't see a long life from them, proper Japanese cars are the most reliable out there but need to have (usually front only in this class) disc brakes cleaned and lubed properly or they will seize up, and it would be foolish indeed not to reasonably maintain, including some rudimentary rustproofing, all easy DIY, a relatively low mileage previously well cared for car only to halve its probable life expectancy for the sake of £50 a year in products and a few hours work on a sunny day.

The best of those two models, if decently cared for, i fully expect to see the reliable life of the superb little Toyota Starlet.

Left field choice, Daihatsu Materia.