What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Small car recommendation £2000/Auto - sandomenico

Hi all,

My Mrs needs a smallish (Up to Golf size) runaround which needs to be an automatic. Budget is up to 2K ish. I'm into VW's but don't really care what it is as long it's reliable. Honda Civic? Any recommendations (or otherwise) from real life experiences?

Many thanks.

Small car recommendation £2000/Auto - badbusdriver

Not really any guarantees of reliability at this price point. Petrol engine, t/c auto gearbox, but from then on, buy on condition. Private sale from someone who has owned the car for a number of years and check the MOT history (which will give an indication of how well the car has been looked after).

Honda Civic?, yes, so long as it is not an i-shift automated manual.

Ok thanks.

Yes I was thinking a private sale might be best. So is the Honda i-shift is potentialy trouble or just nasty to use?

Small car recommendation £2000/Auto - SLO76
Give me a rough location and I’ll look at what’s available nearby. There’s no point in recommending a particular car at this money, condition and history are more important plus you can only choose from what is available.

Thanks. I'm looking around the Woking and surronding areas.

Seen a few.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190711996...5

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190813108...0

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190528840...8

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190703968...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190805080...1

Edited by SLO76 on 16/08/2019 at 10:47

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 22/08/2019 at 19:10

You say, 'up to Golf size', is there a minimum size?. I ask, because a search on Autotrader this morning revealed this Kia Picanto 13 miles from the centre of Woking. Very cheap to run, very reliable, quite young for the money, and not too far away to go and see!.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190713003...1

Others i found (private sales within 50 miles) which may be worth a look.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190807088...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190809096...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190710992...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190728054...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190701960...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190523828...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190625937...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190718018...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190729058...3

BTW, i have not checked the MOT history of any of the above.

Small car recommendation £2000/Auto - paul 1963

I'm in woking, if you want someone to have a look with you give me a shout.

There's a very tidy bmw compact for sale in knaphill for £1500.

it's parked on the grass at the bottom of anchor hill, no idea if it's a auto but it's b***** clean...

Thanks for having a look.

Are these all cars that you'd personally recommend for one reason or another?

I was hoping to get some recommendations or otherwise from personal experience of ownership.

Thanks for having a look.

Are these all cars that you'd personally recommend for one reason or another?

I was hoping to get some recommendations or otherwise from personal experience of ownership.

If this post is directed at me, i was basically looking for cars which are a good bet reliability wise.

But you'd need to do the groundwork yourself as to sifting out those that don't look so great in the flesh, or have questionable MOT history. As to recommendations through personal experience, not really that much use at this end of the price scale. Any, usually reliable car could turn out to be a money pit through countless neglectful and unsympathetic owners. At the same time, a car from a make not normally associated with reliability could make a perfect low budget buy if it has been looked after meticulously, driven carefully and kept in a garage.

Ok great. Thanks for your help.

“Are these all cars that you'd personally recommend for one reason or another?

I was hoping to get some recommendations or otherwise from personal experience of ownership.”

My experience comes from over two decades buying and selling them. Stick with simple Japanese designs for the best chance of reliability.

Right you are thanks.

Would you recommend a Honda Jazz?

Right you are thanks.

Would you recommend a Honda Jazz?

Not as an auto at this money. The CVT box isn’t that tough and is very dependent on fluid changes being carried out on schedule which is something most owners of older cars neglects. I’d stick with conventional torque converter autos.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/08/2019 at 12:12

Small car recommendation £2000/Auto - John F

We have owned a 2000 Ford Focus Mk 1 1.6 auto estate for over 15yrs. It has done 140,000 miles and only temporarily stranded us once (petrol pump failure). They are now cheap as as chips.

My experience comes from over two decades buying and selling them. Stick with simple Japanese designs for the best chance of reliability.

Its sturdy engine is Yamaha designed and the autobox has Mazda input. It's a very reliable powertrain.

“Its sturdy engine is Yamaha designed and the autobox has Mazda input. It's a very reliable powertrain.”

Agree. The Mk I Focus was one of Ford’s finest moments.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/08/2019 at 20:37

Small car recommendation £2000/Auto - Big John

How about the Nissan Note 1.6 auto? Fab Nissan engine mated to uber reliable TC autobox with overdrive and lockup. For a small car they have fantastic interior space.

I have a friend who has had 3 of them with no issues whatsoever. Real life economy was generally way better than expected usually getting mid 40mpg.