What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - AndJ99
Hi everyone

I have a question regarding roundabout lanes for a specific roundabout near me.

(Roundabout in question, best viewed in satellite mode www.google.com/maps/place/51.652209,+-3.316348/@51...z )

When approaching from the A472 side, I am wanting to go right, so the third exit A470 N up to Merthyr Tydfil. Now the correct way you’d tell would be the right lane obviously as I’m going right, but not quite. If you go into the street view mode you’ll see that you can also keep in the left hand lane to go up there according to the road markings. This is the way i always take, as keeping in the left will allow me to carry on the dual carriage way in the left hand lane rather than being in the right(overtaking) lane. I guess I am correct in using the left lane to go this way as the road markings do say? :)

Let me know your opinions.
Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - Mike H

I think you've answered your own question. If the road markings allow it, you're fine.

Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - badbusdriver

From the satellite view and the road markings on the roundabout, i'd be in the right hand lane on to the roundabout, but the problem reems to arise from the fact that there are traffic lights immediately after the 2nd exit. This presumably means you could get other cars coming on to the roundabout from the A470 (Northbound) ending up to your left at these traffic lights but going the same way as you. Were this a roundabout without traffic lights, i'd be moving into the left hand lane immediately after the 2nd exit, but this could well be tricky with the lights.

I think you've answered your own question. If the road markings allow it, you're fine.

But they don't really, coming on to the roundabout from the A472, the marking on the left (middle) lane implies it is for exiting on to the A4059.

Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - AndJ99

But they don't really, coming on to the roundabout from the A472, the marking on the left (middle) lane implies it is for exiting on to the A4059.

This is where I get a little confused, it does indeed only show the A4059 but further up just after that exit the A470 (N) markings appear again :)
Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - Brit_in_Germany

The sign at the entrance to the roundabout says you can use the left hand lane. This also makes sense because there is little chance of cars in the right hand lane wanting to go straight on which would lead to a conflict situation.

Yes, i see it now, i was only looking at the markings on the road. So yes, no problems using the left/centre lane to take the A470 North.

Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - John F

Whatever the roundabout I believe the advice for the cyclist is to stay on the inside, with right arm outstretched, until they have passed their penultimate exit. However, this can be confusing and hazardous if the left hand lane is specifically for the first unwanted exit, especially at a major road multilane high speed roundabout.

Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - Bromptonaut

Whatever the roundabout I believe the advice for the cyclist is to stay on the inside, with right arm outstretched, until they have passed their penultimate exit.

No the advice is NOT that you SHOULD do that.

Rule 77 covers the scenario where a cyclist chooses to do what you suggest. It provides mitigations for the danger of doing do including taking care, signalling and being prepared to be 'cut up'. The 'round the outside' process is downright dangerous and if a cyclist lacks the confidence to treat the roundabout in the usual way, including riding in the inner lane(s) then they're safer dismounting and pushing, crossing roads as a pedestrian. Using proper process does of course require you to watch traffic joining like a hawk - where's the driver looking? Can I make eye contact? Do they look dopey/distracted?

Guidance here: https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/community/how-to/roundabouts

This cyclist though will always ride in accordance with usual rules excepting the odd high speed/high risk junctions like those with motorways where get off and walk is the only option.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/07/2019 at 12:23

Ford Fiesta - Left Lane to go right at this roundabout as well? - silverback

If the current road markings say either lane for the A470(N) all round the roundabout then the answer is yes (but beware of idiots who think it isn't and try to cut you up).

Looking at streetview is confusing as some of the views are almost 10 years old.

The markings on the road in streetview at one point are at odds with the white lane indication sign if you "drive" along the route. So indications of lane are ambiguous - but streetview at this point on the A472 is from 2009!.

Approaching from the A472 you would need to be in the right hand of the 2 lanes until the A470(S) splits off. After that the former right hand land splits into 2.

There is a then a red sign advising new road layout ahead. Just past this the paint markings on the road clearly state that the right hand lane is for the A470N and the left hand lane for the A4059. The white roadsign indicating lanes to use (on theright hand side of the road) states the left hand lane can be used for both A4059 and A470(N) but the right hand lane is for the A470(N) only. - so the question would be - which takes priority? The streetview at this point dates from September 2009 however.

Going on past the part time signals and further round the roundabout the streetview date changes to May 2018. Just beyond the blue Citroen leaving the roundabout the paint markings appear (hard to read) to be both left and right lanes lanes for the A470(N) and the left hand for the A4059. Moving slightly further on only the right hand lane is marked for the A470(N) but the date goes back to July 2011!

Further on the date goes forward again to May 2018!

Conclusions.

1) Don't rely on streetview to settle discussions as it may not be up to date!

2) in 2009 and 2011 only the right hand land should probably have been used on the roundabout.

3) in May 2018 it would appear either lane could have been used !

Have the markings changed yet again?

Locally to me a 40mph road that had been at that limit for 40 years at least has been reduced to 30mph simply by removal of the 40mph signs at one end and all repeaters with no other indication until 3 months after the change when the council put up speed limit changed warning signs as most people simply hadn't noticed. At the other end a single new 30mph sign was installed just off a roundabout and well out of the natural line of sight almost in some bushes. It's difficult to spot even if you know its there as you tend to look at traffic coming round the roundabout. There is no sign on the offside of the road at all!