What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suitable Family Car - bgibson83

Hi,

After a recent addition to the family, I'm looking to buy something a little more family friendly than my ford fiesta zetec 06 plate. I drive 60 miles a day, so looking for something that doesn't eat fuel, and isn't as difficult to overtake. I've been looking at a Ford focus, and my budget is around £5000.

Thanks

Suitable Family Car - SLO76
On your budget I’d avoid a diesel and aim for something with a simple non-turbocharged petrol motor, preferably of Japanese design.

The Focus is fine with the reliable 1.6 Yamaha designed petrol but it’ll be worse on fuel than your Fiesta. You’ll get 40mpg day to day with a gentle right foot and more on a run but it’s a lovely thing to drive and rarely goes wrong. Do not allow anyone to talk you into the 1.0 Ecoboost, it’s notoriously unreliable and I’d leave the 1.6 diesel at this money as it too has a poor reputation.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190517803...9

A Mazda 3 1.6 petrol is another good option but again it’ll be around 40mpg at best and a bit lacking in overtaking urge. Fun to drive and reliable though.

A Honda Civic 1.8 petrol from 2012 onwards is manageable for just over £5k and will do slightly more to the gallon while offering better performance. You could possibly risk a 2.2 diesel if you’re willing and able to spend a bit more at £6.5k. I wouldn’t buy one any cheaper or the previous shape as the newer DTEC version of the 2.2 diesel is much improved and less likely to suffer EGR or timing chain issues. It will do 60mpg and goes like stink. It matches your requirements but care always needs to be taken when buying a cheaper diesel. Look for full Honda history if possible and make sure you service it at least once a year.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190601855...9

Edited by SLO76 on 16/06/2019 at 15:26