What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
French speeding ticket - barney100

Son in law has received a speeding notice from the 5th of jan. It arrived last week. I know there is a time limit for notification here but haven't a clue about a French one.

French speeding ticket - oldroverboy.

Pay it, or don't go in the same car again.

French speeding ticket - Bromptonaut

Question might be better posed in an ex-pat forum but first question from my point of view would be to try and understand how issuing French authority got his vehicle details

French speeding ticket - Brit_in_Germany

Also, was the car a hire car or his own car with the identity obtained via the DVLA?

French speeding ticket - focussed

The French authorities pay the DVLA to obtain vehicle details, as can car hire companies who usually stick you with an "administration charge" on top.

Reading this website which is an authoritative resource for all things speeding and radars in France, I think your son has up to 91 days to pay up.

https://www.radars-auto.com/faq/contraventions-amendes-pv/delai-paiement-amende-radar-etranger.php

From the website (translated) ORB could maybe check it.

"What are the deadlines for paying a speed camera fine for a foreign offender?

The payment period runs from the date of the notice of contravention. Payment delays are lengthened for foreign offenders.

To pay the amount of the fine reduced, you have 46 days and even 61 days in case of payment by dematerialized stamp or credit card (on the internet or from a French public finance center).

Beyond these deadlines, you will have to pay the amount of the fine within a period of between 47 and 67 days and even 91 days in case of payment by dematerialized stamp or credit card (on the internet or at a center French public finances).

Beyond these deadlines, the amount of the fine will be increased then you will receive a notice of lump sum fine increased with new deadlines of payment."

Note - The "dematerialised stamp" is only in case of appealing a judgement.

Copy & paste into https://www.deepl.com/translator for a sensible translation, google translate comes up with a lot of nonsense sometimes.

Edited by focussed on 22/04/2019 at 23:52

French speeding ticket - joegrundy

Me too!

I just got one for a 'contravention' at 0530 Xmas eve.

I also wondered whether the French had a similar requirement to the UK, i.e. that NIP must be served within 14 days. I did a bit of digging and as far as I could establish, there is not. I did notice the following:

1. On the various forums I looked at this question was often asked but not answered.

2. On the same forums there seems to be a recent spate of these tickets being issued.

I know that there has been an agreement in place between France and the UK for the last year (or two?) under which they can obtain registered keeper details from DVLA. I did wonder whether it was a coincidence that I recently got a CritAir sticker, so the French authorities now have a copy of my V5. I also wondered whether the French were making an effort to clear a backlog in possible anticipation of a post-brexit end to the DVLA access.

On another note, as I understand it, most inter-jurisdiction agreements require as a matter of principle equity between the jurisdictions. For example, where a foreign jurisdiction seeks extradition from the UK, the alleged offence in their country must also be an offence in the UK. The UK 14 day NIP requirement is to provide a measure of fairness to the accused. Also, the time limit in the UK for prosecutions is 6 months, in France 12 months. Doesn't seem equitable to me.

I wonder whether HJ's researchers could have a look at this, possibly with RAC/AA etc. to see whether there really is a spike in these fines being issued?

(Only upside is that the online fines payment site is surprisingly efficient. I took the early discount and paid 45 euros.)

Edited by joegrundy on 22/04/2019 at 23:54

French speeding ticket - Middleman

The UK 14 day NIP requirement is to provide a measure of fairness to the accused.

Which it does not do if the driver is not the Registered Keeper. In the UK, if a driver is driving a Company Car, there is usually a leasing company and the employer to be contacted before the driver. Each of those has 28 days to respond. Although usually they do so in less time, it can be more than two months before the driver gets to hear of the allegation.

I don't really think this lack of equivalence could be used as a basis for a challenge.

French speeding ticket - barney100

He's paying the fine promptly but it is interesting as to what the legal situation is. I may call time on driving abroad now, I think France is getting worse for tickets but don't know about the rest of Europe.

French speeding ticket - focussed

He's paying the fine promptly but it is interesting as to what the legal situation is. I may call time on driving abroad now, I think France is getting worse for tickets but don't know about the rest of Europe.

All you have to do is to read the speed limit signs, I've lived in france for ten years now and only had one ticket, when I was in a hurry to get OH to her flight to the UK in our first year here.

What I do when travelling a long distance on duals or autoroutes is to work out what the absolute maximum speed is before you get a fine and set the cruise control a couple of km/hr below that.

You UK lot are fortunate in that you can't get points or a ban, it's just money, I've got a french licence so have to be little more careful !

French speeding ticket - Smileyman

We're not so lucky, driving is no longer fun or enjoyable, it's a constant battle to make progress and constant requirement to give undue attention to speed as king over all else (including safety) to avoid getting a fine and points. "Carefree" is one word no longer attributable to use of a car on the public highway.

It's a good few years since I drove in France, (or anywhere on the Continent), been doing so since the 1980's and as matters stand I'm not sure if I want to bother - not that I have a blatant disregard for speed limits, its I just don't want the bother of closely watching the speedo in case I stray by 1 or 2 km this way or that way.