What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - Hyperchondriac

In a very similar situation to this poster here (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/117250/comfortable) as I have just started a job with a ~150 mile round trip commute. I've got a 59 plate Corsa at the moment that's coming up to 100k miles. It blew up a few days ago with a head gasket problem (I think - garage is still checking) so I'm thinking about my options.

Either invest in a better car for this kind of journey - I would like a hatchback style so something like a Focus, Golf, i30, looking at nearly new (17-18). Willing to spend up to £15k but £12k would be preferable. This would work out around £200-250 per month for five years.

Alternative is to keep running the Corsa and save the money for repairs or replacement when it finally gives in.

Any thoughts on either of these options, and what cars I should be looking at?

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - Falkirk Bairn

Even with only modest weekend use 750 commute miles/ week mean you will be doing 45K per year - taking a loan for 5 years means 225K + the miles on your nearly new purchase.

You cannot really expect to cover that sort of mileage without maintenance issues.

Many years ago a friend did a big mileage - he bought 2/3 year old car with low mileage - kept it less than 2 years - the overall mileage was high but still sellable for decent money. Then repeated the process - he had the capital to buy his cars so was not worried about being left with HP /Bank Loan if the car needed a big repair which made it an economic write-off.

Thanks for the reply - I'm hoping that if all goes well I will move a bit closer to work (not that close - still a 100 mile round trip) and I'm also working a day a week at home. But yes, still a high mileage overall.

I'm probably not quite in the position to buy a car outright but could probably pay half and borrow the rest.

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - NARU

What about a diesel civic?

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - Big John

I myself try to buy a nearly new car (just over a year old) and aim for an end of model car. As such any model issues have usually been ironed out and the first year depreciation is heavy in anticipation of the new model. I try to buy one with a few years warranty remaining as well. I then ignore depreciation and just run for quite a few years and then effectively throw away - if you do a high mileage your car looses value fast so best to start from a low point! I've done a longish commute (not as long as the OP) for over three decades now!

DO NOT buy a sporty model with expensive low profile tyres that don't last long.

How about a year old Hyundai i30. They are good value and have a five year UNLIMITED mileage warranty.

Edited by Big John on 22/03/2019 at 09:15

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - badbusdriver

I think i'd have a serious think about how much you want that particular job, or whether or not it would be feasable to move closer!. Not just because of the cost of all that mileage, but also the time you will be spending outwith your actual working hours getting to and from.

But as to the car, you need a car that will be very economical, but also comfortable and reliable. At the same time, because of what this regime will do to the cars value, you want to spend as little as possible up front (the less you pay to buy the car, the less value there is to lose). Diesel is obviously going to be the best way to go here, and while that kind of useage should minimise any of the usual diesel issues, i'd still be inclined to go for a car known to have few problems, such as a previous shape Honda Civic (SE, as it has cruise control). Something well below what you are thinking about spending, but with fairly low miles. The hatchback version has a very spacious cabin and a boot larger than average for the class, but estate versions are also availiable uneder £10k, and they have a huge boot. Here is a hatchback on Autotrader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190108373...1

Thanks, yes I am definitely considering moving closer once I'm settled at the job.

I'm open to spending a bit less and getting an older car. You think that would be better than going for a '17 Civic of i30 at £12.5k? Not so bothered about the boot - I don't have big suitcases!

Thanks for the reply - yes, I do like the i30. Something like

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180301416...1

For example?

Do you think the Hyundai is a better option than a Ford or VW, or anything else? No particular preference for those makes, just curious.

Thanks, the Civic would be an option too. Any reason for recommending that over the others?

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - badbusdriver

Thanks, the Civic would be an option too. Any reason for recommending that over the others?

1, they are known to be very reliable as a brand in general. 2, A lot of modern diesels have 'issues', and though these are usually relating to useage that doesn't require diesel (short journeys), the 1.6 diesel in the Honda, seems to be trouble free, even under those circumstances. 3, This generation of Civic was praised for its comfort and refinement, even as a diesel. 4, The aforementioned cabin and boot space, though you haven't mentioned any requirements in that respect, if you have a family, the more space the better. 5, Economy, the Civic will manange as much as 70mpg, and with that sort of mileage, you want maximum efficiency!.

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - Andrew-T

It doesn't answer your question, but I would not tolerate spending about 15 hours of my working week facing traffic problems. I hope your commute is only for the short term?

It's definitely something I had to weigh up. As I said in one of the other comments, if all goes well I'm planning to move a bit closer within the year to cut the commute down to about an hour and am working from home a day a week.

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - Ian_SW

If you're likely only to be doing mileage this high for a couple of years, provided you keep the car afterwards it makes less of a difference.

Most cars, if properly maintained will last without too much hassle to about 200k miles or 10 years, whichever comes first. The car won't be worth much at 5 years old because of the mileage, but if you've maintained it correctly it should be good for another few years.

I'd second the suggestion of an i30. The long warranty is very useful and when I've had them as hire cars have found the seats pretty comfortable, even in the base model cars. I got about 50mpg on the motorway in the 1.0 Petrol version.

The other option might be to look at leasing, and put the miles on someone else's car. 50k pa isn't that unusual on company cars (sales reps, service engineers etc) and most of those companies use leasing rather than buying the car outright. A quick Google search comes up with a lease costing £300 ish per month for a 3 year lease on a Leon at that mileage.

Final alternative, if you're not bothered about what you're driving and needing the AA from time to time is to buy something for about £1000, run it until it dies, take it to the scrapyard and repeat. How long the car lasts is a fair bit down to luck though. A friend who does massive miles for work took a ten year old Piccasso from 100k miles to nearly 300k miles over 4 years with it only needing routine maintenance, but the next car he bought only lasted a couple of months.

Yes, I don't really want to be doing this long a commute long-term.

I'm probably at the '£1,000 to death' point at the moment with my current car, depending on the verdict from the garage. I probably haven't maintained it as well as I should have done, and got away with it up to now.

Leasing is an interesting option as well, thanks. I'll look into it.

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - John F

It's an expensive option if more than 8,000 miles a year. I would be looking for a typical pensioner's trade-in, a mechanically reliable but cheap old Japanese car with only a few miles on the clock......e.g......

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190312582...1

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - SLO76

It's an expensive option if more than 8,000 miles a year. I would be looking for a typical pensioner's trade-in, a mechanically reliable but cheap old Japanese car with only a few miles on the clock......e.g......

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190312582...1

Good car but hugely overpriced and with 35mpg economy it’ll cost almost £3,000 more in extra fuel more wiping out in one year the saving over a £8500 Civic diesel. You can get a decent Accord this age with sensible miles for less than £1500.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/03/2019 at 18:26

I’d reduce your costs here by buying something cheaper. With such a high annual mileage (approx 40k p/a) depreciation will be a major cost. Anything you buy will be worthless after 3yrs.

Borrowing £8k over 3yrs at 3% APR from most high street banks will cost £232.51 a month and its enough to get a very nice late model Toyota Yaris 1.33 or my favourite high miler commuter a Honda Civic 1.6 DTEC which will do a genuine 70mpg on a run and with care it’ll do 200k plus.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190308568...6

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190307565...8

Edited by SLO76 on 22/03/2019 at 13:30

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - barney100

You could defy convention and go for a larger diesel model. C class or Volvo or something from Toyota for a lot less money, a years mot would be wanted. Say go for something about 6k and you have have a sizeable chunk of cash if anything goes wrong. You'll get decent mpg and a bit of comfort too.

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - CHarkin

Just to add my pennyworth. Maybe a Toyota Avensis, two year old under 20K miles, reliable diesel giving 70mpg on your type of driving and still with 3 years manufacturers warranty for under £12K. Bigger car than you need maybe but for all those miles I think thats a good thing.

Interesting article that shows the mindset you need to do mega miles in a car.

http://www.dieselcar.com/features/high-mile-club/high-mile-club-451741-miles-2010-volkswagen-touran-2-0-tdi/

“Just to add my pennyworth. Maybe a Toyota Avensis, two year old under 20K miles, reliable diesel“

Hold that thought. The post facelift Avensis uses BMW diesel motors which are known for numerous issues as they age, particularly timing chain failure. The petrol engines are bulletproof and quite economical however.
Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - S40 Man

I have a mk4 mondeo which USD an excellent motorway and vomiting car. You could pick up one with 100k mikes very cheaply. Mine has been reliable and is on 215k miles

Ford Focus - Good car for long commute - CHarkin

The post facelift Avensis uses BMW diesel motors which are known for numerous issues as they age, particularly timing chain failure.

Oh dear. I had thought the chain issue had been fixed before Toyota started using that engine. If it hasn't been fixed then shame on Toyota because it was well known beforehand.

Edited by CHarkin on 25/03/2019 at 09:57