What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - privateinvestor

Good evening.

Any idea what engine oil is used - I do. not have the car manual.

an online search on car oil sector sites reveals the following: 0w20; 5w30 and ow30.

Thank you

Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - madf

www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/AK/SAA2EAK000...L

0W-20 fully synthetic API service SG, SH or SJ''

I use tinyurl.com/y46vytvb

Edited by madf on 11/03/2019 at 16:07

Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - privateinvestor

Thank you

Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - edlithgow

"www.hondafitjazz.com/manual/A00/HTML/AK/SAA2EAK000...L

I use tinyurl.com/y46vytvb"

Are you sure they make (made) a fully synthetic 0W-20 SG oil? Seems rather unlikely.

SG is an obsolete API grade. Its the recommendation in my 1986 Daihatsu Skywing handbook.

I'd use it if I could get it, but I think its only generally available as motorcycle oil, which MIGHT lack friction modifiers. Strictly speaking these "meet the spec." but are not API certified as such, since API wont certify oils they class as obsolete.

I mostly use dual-rated diesel/spark ignition oils which are SJ, (which is almost obsolete, but not quite), but then I have an old car with flat-tappets and no exhaust catalyst.

The current, and commonest, API service grade is SN

So, according to the bottle, is the stuff you use.

The online manual you linked to does say

"

Always use fuel-efficient is that says ‘‘API service SG, SH or SJ''

"

Ignoring the broken English, this is either

(a) a minimum recommendation (implying that its OK to use obsolete oil, which is probably, IMO, true, apart from the possibility of catalyst poisoning, but not a typical OEM position) or

(b) Just WRONG.

My bet is (b)

Edited by edlithgow on 12/03/2019 at 10:46

Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - focussed

It's not O-20 it's 0- 30 where on earth did you get 0-20 from?

www.opieoils.co.uk/f/2354/32673/2013/engine-oil.as...x

It's not O-20 it's 0- 30 where on earth did you get 0-20 from?

www.opieoils.co.uk/f/2354/32673/2013/engine-oil.as...x

Well, the online manual posted doesn't seem to give a viscosity grade, but it does refer to "fuel efficient is"

"fuel efficient" means "skinny", and 0-20 is the skinniest oil (oil = "is"?) you can readily buy, so a reasonable guess.

As I said, though, the API service grades given don't make any sense.

AT ALL.

I do English commercial proof reading in Asia sometimes. This isn't the first compromised cut-and-paste I've seen.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/03/2019 at 08:07

Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - madf

It IS 0w-20 . I quoted from my manual..

Opie oils are wrong.

Read tinyurl.com/y5cwtsgn which shows what Honda Dealers use..

I know I'm a grumpy old man but I do read manulas of the c1.4 Jazz I own and follow recommendations...

Honda Jazz 1.4 63 plate manual - Ebgine Oil - focussed

Probably because the earlier Jazz used 0w-30 and Opie haven't updated their blurb.

Can oil get any thinner? What's next in the quest? - a 0w-10?

From a Honda dealer website

CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL H C2 0W-30 FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL 1 LITRE

PLEASE NOTE: AS PER THE PICTURE THIS OIL WILL STATE ‘FOR DIESEL ENGINES’.

THIS IS BECAUSE CASTROL & HONDA NOW RECOMMEND 0W-30 FOR ALL HONDA DIESELS, HOWEVER THIS IS STILL PERFECTLY SUITABLE FOR PETROL MODELS.

Can oil get any thinner? What's next in the quest? - a 0w-10?

2018 Toyota Camry specced 0W-16 in the US, available for several years in Japan.

According to this article, 0W-8 was available there in 2017, but I dunno if you HAVE to put it in anything yet.

noln.net/2017/06/30/skinny-ow-16-oil/

Edited by edlithgow on 14/03/2019 at 08:01

From a Honda dealer website

CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL H C2 0W-30 FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL 1 LITRE

PLEASE NOTE: AS PER THE PICTURE THIS OIL WILL STATE ‘FOR DIESEL ENGINES’.

THIS IS BECAUSE CASTROL & HONDA NOW RECOMMEND 0W-30 FOR ALL HONDA DIESELS, HOWEVER THIS IS STILL PERFECTLY SUITABLE FOR PETROL MODELS.

So a Honda dealer is recommending an oil which carries no "S" (spark-ignition) API classification AT ALL for use in petrol engines?

Well knock me dahn wiv a fevva!

Thats mildly encouraging, since I have 15 or so litres of CG-4 (an obsolete diesel-only pre-2009 standard) and I've been wondering if it was OK to put it in my car.

However, a recommendation from a Honda dealer may not be quite the same as a recommendation from Honda.

Bit more online research on this suggests that diesel spec oils with high TBN (Total Base Number) can give high wear in the piston ring-cylinder interface area in petrol engines due to high levels of sulfated ash.

I'm not sure why diesel engines are not so badly affected by this. Could be a combination of lower revs and more lubricious fuel I suppose. Perhaps also the soot produced by a diesel is less abrasive than the ash so partially protects the surfaces..

I'd guess this info is based on older spec oils such as I'm likely to be using, and may not apply to the above Castrol Edge stuff. (Sulphated ash would tend to clog a DPF so will be low on recent spec diesel oils)

OTOH since there's no S spec., there's no guarantee that its suitable, other than the dealer statement.

For my old car I MIGHT chance working around it by mixing the diesel lubricant with another with a lower base number.

With a newer car I wouldn't risk using a diesel-only oil in a petrol engine.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/03/2019 at 06:10

Bit OT for the OP, but, for comparison, I just did an oil change with some SG oil I found in a shed that was being demolished.

Mobil Special 20W50, 4 one litre sealed bottles.

Dunno how old it is, but to give context, if the SG specification was current at the time of bottling it might be about 25 years, since its supposed to be suitable for cars produced before 1993.

This stuff "meets the spec" rather than being API certified, since Mobil often (generally?) don't bother with API certification, which costs money.

I have a 4-litre jug of 2-year old Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 SJ and it isn't certified either.

I cut the Mobil Special 1:1.7 with China Petroleum Corporation SAE 40 SJ, so it'll do two oil changes and should come out around 25-45-ish.

I don't, in general, believe oil has a shelf life. We'll see.

There are some (early, unclear) indications from paper chromatography that in this case I might be wrong.

Edited by edlithgow on 15/03/2019 at 12:16