What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - Jimmy jammy

Just wanted to let others know about a close call I just had off of Gumtree who was trying to sell a Mercedes A200 with outstanding finance on it, Luckily or unluckily however you look at it I wasted £20 on a HPI check before hand to discover this, when I questioned the seller about this he stated that he would continue to pay it off after I had paid for the car and that I had his 'word'. His gumtree name is xxxx and phone number xxxx I have included the name and number in case and anyone does a google search and will hopefully end up at this post before potentially being scammed. Thankyou

(Edit - for heaven's sake use your common sense. You can't put someone's name and number on a public forum and accuse them of being a scammer.)

Edited by Avant on 31/01/2019 at 18:19

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - badbusdriver

Ignoring the impropriety of posting the guys name and number on the forum, i'm baffled by your use of the phrase "wasted £20 on a HPI check". Money VERY well spent is surely a more accurate statement, and exactly the reason why you should do one.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - Jimmy jammy

Wasted in the sense of if the seller had told me when I enquired to whether it had been written off/finance owned on it or simply just put it in the ad then I would have of walked straight away. Not spent £20 on finding it out the hard way.

Also I don't find it 'impropriety' to post someones name and number when they are blatantly breaking the law, I would like other people to know so they don't potentially fall for this scam.

Edited by Jimmy jammy on 31/01/2019 at 18:22

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - badbusdriver

Wasted in the sense of if the seller had told me when I enquired to whether it had been written off/finance owned on it or simply just put it in the ad then I would have of walked straight away. Not spent £20 on finding it out the hard way.

Nobody other than a fool or a crook is going to try and sell privately a car which has outstanding finance. If it was a fool, he would have mentioned the outstanding finance in the ad, therefore he was a crook, and was trying it on. You had a lucky escape.

As for whether or not it is appropriate to put the guys name and number on this forum, that really isn't your call. You should have got in touch with the moderator first.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=97321

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/01/2019 at 18:30

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - Chris M

I'm guessing not, but do Gumtree have a process for reporting "dodgy" ads?

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - Ethan Edwards

As Im sure people appreciate. He can't be selling the car as he simply doesn't own it. The finance company do. If it's now ok to sell things you don't own, maybe I can sell next doors house. That should raise some cash. Maybe I can sell Buckingham Palace next. Gum tree will be cool with it.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - sammy1

Yes he is trying to sell a car he doesn't own which is the crux of how these people operate and are allowed to get away with it. I share the original posters frustration with the system of not being able to put in the public domain these scammers. If they do not get lucky with one sucker the next is sure to be there. it is happening in all fields of public domain. Everyday I am getting scam phone calls from the same numbers 0230, 0270 you will perhaps know them. Someone must be paying the bills on these numbers and be traceable.

I thought new laws had been brought in, but they do not seem to apply around here. The vulnerable in society are NOT being protected

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Gumtree Mercedes A200 outstanding finance - Avant

Yes, we all share the frustration that scammers get away with it. But you have to KNOW that someone is a scammer before naming them publicly.

In all probablility the one referred to by the OP is a scammer. But (s)he might be someone who can't keep up the HP payments and so wants to sell the car to pay off the debt. They don't advertise the fact that there is o/s finance as that might put a buyer off - or they just didn't think to give that information.

Of course it's wrong but that's the way some people think, or don't think. But they also might think of suing both the poster and the site proprietor for libel if it wasn't a deliberate scam.