What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - Metropolis.

Whilst I agree on the whole with HJ's fondness towards the good old fashioned torque converter automatic, being generally much more reliable than an equivalent automated manual such as DSG, PDK, Easytronic, I-Shift etc.. let's not forget there have been some real clangers made!

It concerns me that HJ is recommending the new PSA EAT8, it's somewhat unproven and, well, French cars do have a reputation for slushboxes made of, ahem.. cheese!

Honda seem to have had a hard time making reliable gearboxes, (not singling out the Jazz BBD!) and in fairness it does seem to be their only weak point.They get quite a hard time in the US over this for obvious reasons. www.hondaproblems.com/transmission-failure/ and wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/08/honda-transmis.../ and video, excuse the loud voice, he's partially deaf... : www.youtube.com/watch?v=BycsYMQEED8

Chrysler have an awful reputation with their automatic gearboxes, each new generation promises to be better than the last, but they can't seem to crack it. Failures at 50k miles are all too common.

Mercedes have been up and down in this regard, but on the whole seem to hold up.

Ford automatics are hit and miss (not the powers*** or the newest t/c which are too new), some models, such as the Mk 1 and 2 Mondeo were notorious in the US where it was sold as the Contour for eating gearboxes.. but then we have JohnF's focus which soldiers on without maintenance!

ZF appear to vary by application for obvious reasons, too much to quantify really although i'd sooner have an Aisin.

Jatco (Nissan) used to be fairly good, not so much these days, particularly the CVTs which keep blowing!

I have no real idea about Hyundai/Kia gearboxes, but perhaps that's a sign they're doing quite well with their home-grown gearboxes. They did have a reputation for being a tad slow shifting 'lazy' on the old Sonatas.

Honourable mention goes to the Astra H, which had a wonderful design whereby the automatic transmission cooler pipes are directed through the main radiator for cooling. Inevitably these crack or corrode, mixed fluids = bye bye gearbox! and that was an Aisin unit!

Not all torque converter boxes are made equal.

Rant over and out..

Edited by Metropolis. on 10/01/2019 at 21:38

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - John F

Ford automatics are hit and miss (not the powers*** or the newest t/c which are too new), some models, such as the Mk 1 and 2 Mondeo were notorious in the US where it was sold as the Contour for eating gearboxes.. but then we have JohnF's focus which soldiers on without maintenance!

That's because it's a 4F27E, found in zillions of American Fords and Mazdas - generally reliable, but apparently can suffer from solenoid failure. The 1.6 Focus is probably one of its least stressful applications. It requires no 'maintenance'. If it breaks, I shall probably scrap the car as we've certainly had our moneysworth!

ZF appear to vary by application for obvious reasons, too much to quantify really although i'd sooner have an Aisin.

The ZF 6HP26 in my Audi is probably one of the best gearboxes around. Think of any top-end powerful car from RRs (yes, both models...although whether JLR qualifies for 'top-end' any more is a moot point - they can't even assemble them with the correct length drive shafts!....) to Astons, Bentleys, BMWs etc, and it probably changes gear with a 6HP26.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - movilogo

I have lined up TC, DCT & CVT based on my (somewhat subjective) parameters

Type | Reliability | Fuel economy | Complexity | Sportiness

TC | high | low | low | low

CVT | high | high | high | low

DCT | OK | high | high | high

Other than (somewhat perceived) reliability problem of DCT, it scores high on fuel economy and sportiness.

The reliability issue can be mitigated by a long warranty.

Hence I drive Kia DCT :o)

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - Senexdriver
I have an Audi DCT. I was very torn about going auto but decided to try it based on the knowledge that since they switched the type of oil used, reliability has improved. I participate in an Audi forum for my particular model. Most of the contributors have the DCT and some have had problems, but I wouldn’t say that transmission problems are common. Obviously the forum doesn’t cover all Audi s-tronic owners, but the sample covered is nevertheless representative.
All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - retgwte

Toyota TC autos are among the best, but sadly they have mostly been selling MMT autos in the UK recently (not true in all countries as many simply wont buy them)

Here its driven by the taxes on emissions, so they can eek a little better emissions out of MMT, so taxes are lower, and the government takes no account that MMT is less reliable (and more time in the workshop is hardly "green")

So its an unintended consequence of the anti car taxes supposedly encouraging us to go green tax regime, which actually pushes us into more unreliable cars, and all that extra time in workshops almost certainly destroys any real overall emissions improvement from this tax regime.

Politicians sticking their thumb in the pie, when they dont understand the whole picture.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - Engineer Andy

Does anyone know who makes the current 6 speed TC autos found in Mazdas? I keep hearing that (from watching Scotty Kilmer videos on YT) that they are from the dreaded Jatco, but I'm thinking he may be referring to older cars, as from my (rather limited) research, they could be variants on a Ford 4-speed TC design - just not sure though as Wiki doesn't have much info on them, other than implying by their code name that this is the case.

It doesn't say if it's a bought in Ford unit or they just took the original Ford design (especially when Ford went over to their Powershift on ordinary cars some years ago) and developed/modified it to a 5 and then a 6-speed variant.

I'm interested as a) the Jatco ones don't get a good rep for reliability and b) as there's a good chance I'll be considering a car with an auto box next time, I want to make sure it's a relaible one. I must admit not hearing any bad things about auto boxes in Mazdas over the years, especially since I've owned a (manual) Mazda from early 2006. Nothing on the Mazda3 owners website either.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - Sulphur Man

Honda 1.8 iVTEC hooked up to the 5-speed TC. Bombproof. That in a Civic Tourer is all the car most people need. It's great in our FR-V

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - badbusdriver

I'm fine with it Metropolis!.

It is interesting though that the info all seems to be from the states. Were US cars fitted with a different type of auto gearbox?, seem unlikely, but the UK equivalents of all the cars mentioned seem to have a fantastic reputation for reliability regardless of whether they are manual or auto. Surely if UK cars suffered from problems of the scale those links portray we'd have heard about it?.

I do often browse Ebay and Autotrader, and particularly like finding odd or obscure Japanese imports. One of these has been the Honda Mobilo Spike and when i looked up online for some kind of roadtest or review, i did come upon a piece warning of gearbox problems with them. They were produced between 2002 and 2008 and had a 1.5 Vtec along with a CVT auto. Other than that, i have never been aware of any issues of Honda auto's, well apart from those highlighted by Metropolis. And its also fair to point out that it seems to be a problem on cars from 1999 to about 2006.

movilogo, i don't know what experience you have of CVT's, but i'd have to conclude that it has not included the stepped version fitted to, amongst others, our Jazz. In sport mode using the paddles to shift, the reactions are very quick indeed, near instantaneous, so if you like to drive in that manner, i'm not sure why you feel a DCT would be sportier?. Just a few days ago i took my parents home after a meal. It was late and i had to get up early, so the Jazz got a real roasting on the 30 miles of single carriageway A and B roads back home after i dropped them off. And that was not using the paddles, most of the time i just used drive, only slipping it into sport on twistier sections to hold a lower ratio. So while the Jazz CVT may not be fast enough for some (which is a different thing), the CVT (well the type in our car anyway), can do 'sporty' with the best of them!.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - John Boy

Is this link any help with your question, Engineer Andy?

www.greencarcongress.com/2011/08/mazda-20110808-1....l

Edited by John Boy on 11/01/2019 at 17:06

Is this link any help with your question, Engineer Andy?

www.greencarcongress.com/2011/08/mazda-20110808-1....l

Nice try (tahanks for looking), but not really - it just gives details about how it operates, not whose design it is or who makes it. I actually came across an essentially identical article on Mazda's US website (probably the same source).

It sort-of intimates that it's a Mazda design, but the Wiki entry for the box and its predecessors also intimate that it's a variant on an earlier Ford 4 speed design, just with Mazda's own tranmission fluid. I was presuming that Ford still used it in some of their larger vehicles even when the powershift was being used in the Modeo and downwards. That was fine when Ford and Mazda had their tie-up, but now they are back as separate firms...I'm confused!

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - nellyjak

Have to say that I've been driving automatics for nearly 50 years now...and ALL TC slush boxes......NEVER had an ounce of trouble with ANY of them..and that covers Volvo, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Saab, Chevrolet..and even started with a Wolseley 18/85 (the land crab) back in the 1970's...and that gave me no trouble either.!

All I do is check the condition and levels of the ATF..never had to do anything else.

My current imported 2003 V6 Toyota Estima is the same....utterly reliable engine and auto box.

I think it will outlast me.!!!

I have no experience whatsoever of the new fangled jobbies..and frankly have no great desire to do so.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - gordonbennet

Same here, my first auto was a mk 3 Zodiac which did in fact have box problems, not whilst on the road but after i stripped it out and banger raced it, after about the 6th meeting and numerous crashes it would only drive in reverse so that's the gear it went out in on is last journey.

Other than that, never had a moments issue from any of my many TC auto boxes since, only one of which was on a new vehicle, the rest being bought when at least 5 years old and many much older, have always avoided makes with sub standard auto boxes so the only German make i went anywhere near was MB.

Service them , don't abuse them, and in most cases they will see the car out.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - Manatee

Does anyone know who makes the current 6 speed TC autos found in Mazdas?

Aisin. MX-5, 5,6, CX-7, CX-9. And probably 3?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions

Does anyone know who makes the current 6 speed TC autos found in Mazdas?

Aisin. MX-5, 5,6, CX-7, CX-9. And probably 3?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Aisin_transmissions

Unfortunately the ones you are referring to (the ones nearer the end of the list) are manual transmissions, not TC autos.

i’ve had the impression they’re mazda’s own design, you might find this article from 2011 interesting www.businessinsider.com/mazda-rejects-dsgs-redefin...T

I agree that it does sound that way - it's just that the 'original' design appears to come from a Ford 4 speed unit. I just wasn't sure as there isn't a wiki entry for the latest 6-speed unit. It could even be the case that the latest 6-speed TC box is now being used in Fords again now that they've ditched the Powershift in favour of a that design.

You might have better luck posting this question on a Mazda forum, bound to be some very useful Mazda anoraks on there who can help! If you find out, let us know!
You might have better luck posting this question on a Mazda forum, bound to be some very useful Mazda anoraks on there who can help! If you find out, let us know!

I'll try again - unfortunately its not anywhere near as well used as it was 5-15 years ago when more Mazda3s were sold and more owners modded or self-maintained them (no MPS model on the current lineup), thus less people frequent the site with decent levels of technical knowledge of the oily bits. I would ask my local dealer, but given some rather 'ambiguous' responses as regards parts before, I'm not 100% confident that they'll give the correct answer.

Now that the actual maintenance manuals (those use by mechanics are uploaded (sadly without who makes what), many owners just refer to them rather than ask questions. Most now are related to issues surrounding the diesel problems and ICE/satnav, with the occasional other issue thrown in.

Some questions can take months for a worthwhile response to arrive, so bear with me!

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - Manatee

Unfortunately the ones you are referring to (the ones nearer the end of the list) are manual transmissions, not TC autos.

My mistake, sorry.

My mistake, sorry.

No problem - thanks for trying.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - John F

Honourable mention goes to the Astra H, which had a wonderful design whereby the automatic transmission cooler pipes are directed through the main radiator for cooling. Inevitably these crack or corrode, mixed fluids = bye bye gearbox! and that was an Aisin unit!

That's the same problem many Mercedes owners had with the dreaded Valeo radiator - nothing much wrong with MB or Aisin gearboxes, but none work well with watery additive.

All T/C Autos aren't made equal.. - expat

That's the same problem many Mercedes owners had with the dreaded Valeo radiator - nothing much wrong with MB or Aisin gearboxes, but none work well with watery additive.

You are not alone. Australian Ford Falcons have the same set up resulting in the same problems. This is with both BTR and ZF boxes. The answer is to fit an after market transmission oil cooler. It costs but it is money well spent if you are intending to keep the vehicle. The cooler is a separate radiator which keeps the coolant and the transmission fluid totally separate. No chance of the dreaded milkshake.

Forgive me for asking - are you THE Honest John, given on early posts on this website the 'real' HJ posted under the name 'Honest John' and always put 'HJ' as a 'signature' at the end of his post. Just so we don't get confused.