What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Steveieb
Today's announcement of job losses in JLR factories in the UK coincides with the announcement of 4000 new JLR jobs in the new factory in Slovenia.
So is this simply a business decision along the lines of Fords decision to move Transit production to Turkey ?
Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - RT
Today's announcement of job losses in JLR factories in the UK coincides with the announcement of 4000 new JLR jobs in the new factory in Slovenia. So is this simply a business decision along the lines of Fords decision to move Transit production to Turkey ?

No - it's a reaction to huge reduction in sales in China as well as big reduction in diesel sales in Europe.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Sulphur Man

Brexit, China, diesel slump....the main advisor during the Ford-Tata takeover deal of JLR was on the Radio 4 Today programme this morning saying that this Slovakian move would have happened regardless of any other influence. Simply put, it's cheaper to produce cars there, avoiding the import costs.

China 'slowdown' is based on China's outrageous 10-year double-digit growth, year on year. The market there is still buoyant, but costs must be lowered to take full advantage.

That said, JLR is lagging on hybrid options in it's cars. The development investment in the Ingenium diesel range won't be realised. The XE, the big volume car, has been a sales flop. The promise is for a hybrid Evoque, that needs to be seriously good, and reliable....

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - nick62
The development investment in the Ingenium diesel range won't be realised. The XE, the big volume car, has been a sales flop

Does anyone know why JLR was allowed to build the Ingenium engine plant on a greenfield site next the the M54 when there is acres and acres of cleared brownfield land 10 miles down the M54/M6 in Walsall?

They have certainly been caught with their pants down with this engine in the Evoque where the regeneration system has been a technical disaster, (with massive oil dilution issues), yet it seems relatively trouble-free in the XF/XE which uses a different regen. system apparently?

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - oldroverboy.
They have certainly been caught with their pants down with this engine in the Evoque where the regeneration system has been a technical disaster, (with massive oil dilution issues), yet it seems relatively trouble-free in the XF/XE which uses a different regen. system apparently?

The positioning of the DPF is the cause of the problems.

HJ explains it somewhere.

The positioning of the DPF is the cause of the problems.

HJ explains it somewhere.

Found it here on the HJ Evoque carbycar entry. What a disaster, someone should be shot for allowing this to be put into production (hopefully a bean-counter)?;

Clear explanation received from reader for the Discovery Sport and Evoque Ingenium diesel contamination issue: "JLR has now admitted to me in writing that the DPF can never get hot enough to enable any passive regeneration to occur in "normal driving". The reason for this is that, unlike the XE/XF where the Ingenium engine is mounted in-line, on the DS and Evoque there's insufficient room between the engine and the bulkhead to fit the DPF. Therefore it had to be positioned horizontally 1 metre further back, downstream of the oxidation catalyst, a position where gas temperatures are too cold for passive regeneration to work at all - you can see the architecture very clearly on this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJMUuwbCCc / JLR engineers who came to investigate a fault with the EGR on my car said that this design problem explains the longer warm-up period for active regeneration of between 10 and 15 minutes before the HC/PM starts to burn. It then takes a further 15 to 20 minutes to complete the active regeneration giving a total time of up to 35 minutes for the whole process. So 35 minutes of post-injection every 150-200 miles is the real reason why the diesel is diluting so quickly on these vehicles and hence why the service schedule is shot to pieces. Now that this has all been confirmed and corroborated it becomes crystal clear that there is no hope of this problem ever being fixed properly - it is simply too expensive. To cap it all, in their letter JLR finally provided their customised definition of "typical driving style" - one that conveniently fits the performance limitations of the faulty DPF architecture: " 'Typical' driving style as an average across customers is journeys of 15-30 minutes with a speed between 50 km/h and 100 km/h, which includes some drives of over an hour. The exhaust temperature achieved in normal driving is low and as such there is no passive regeneration and soot must be cleared through active regeneration. " Jaguar Land Rover letter, dated 24 October 2017. Do you see why they need to include the bit about "some drives of an hour"? It's because the active regeneration (the only regen that actually works) can't complete within 30 minutes. The effects of the problem, which was originally described by the Service Compliance Notification JLRP00100, can now be fully explained in all its technical detail: it is caused by a design error, plain and simple. Once I had put all the pieces of this together I rejected my car without a moment's hesitation as faulty and not as described and I think that there will be many more doing the same before too long."

(My edit was only to change "road test" to "carbycar entry". HJ.)

Edited by Honestjohn on 15/01/2019 at 03:42

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Leif

It's an Indian company, why care about UK workers? Slovenian workers are cheaper, and doubtless just as good. And the recent JLR downturn does not help, they are premium/lifestyle cars and not essential.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - bazza

Caught with their pants down is very apt, the writings been on the wall for years now regarding the demise of diesel, so it's hard to understand how the business contingency "experts" at JLR didn't see it coming when everyone else has. And now they have to play catch-up by investing billions while slashing costs . The future manufacturing in UK looking bleak mainly because all these auto companies work on the JIT model for component supply, hence the likelihood of further exits from uk if BREXIT is badly handled, which seems likely. I'm old enough to remember the likes of Toyota and Honda setting up here simply because we were a cost effective place to invest in plus free movement meant no barriers. Hence no surprises really what might happen! But I hope not. The comment above they are Indian owned, yes but don't forget without that investment they would be just obsolete names and gone bust years ago! Unfortunately business is harsh and these corporations will up sticks and go wherever profit is maximised, I've been on the receiving end of that, in the pharmaceutical industry and it doesn't feel good! More bad news from ford this morning I feel sorry for those involved in the UK.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - kiss (keep it simple)

JLR were caught out 15 or so years ago by failing to get a diesel into the Jaguars to compete with BMW etc. Now they're shafted again. Looks like they need to get another clairvoyant on the team.

JLR were caught out 15 or so years ago by failing to get a diesel into the Jaguars to compete with BMW etc. Now they're shafted again. Looks like they need to get another clairvoyant on the team.

They would probably suggest a coal-fired steam engine?

I'm dismayed by JLR though. Yes they are foreign owned and without doubt British ownership would have resulted in them never building the cars they have now (which people want to buy) and disappearing completely. But they do seem to make horrendous mistakes when it comes to post sale customer service. Most brands have problems, JLR are well known for not being very good (i.e. hopeless) at resolving them.

Edited by nick62 on 10/01/2019 at 11:59

Bazza, I work in pharmaceuticals (in engineering) and it's a disaster in the UK currently AFAIC. If it wasn't for me getting contract work in the EU over the last 12-18 months, I'd be looking for another job. ATM I'm dreading the 29th March as that may also cut-off my current income stream (but nobody knows)! Even the letters I get from HMRC (VAT) are a joke - telling you prepare for changes, but having no information whatsoever about what they will be.

Regarding JLR and the Ingenium diesel, I guess it was like bankers in the looming 2008 crash? The engineers employed to design/build it just got on with the job and were glad of the (highly paid) work it gave them? Fred Goodwin and his cronies didn't come out of the crash to badly from a personal financial point of view!

Edited by nick62 on 10/01/2019 at 12:02

JLR makes a large number of absurdly large and heavy vehicles so it's hardly surprising they focus on diesel, who wants to a run a small truck on petrol? That said are their troubles really due to diesel? Or due to producing premium goods that are not selling so well at the moment? If they made reliable vehicles, they might well have seen less of a sales drop, as more 'normal' people would buy them, and not just fashionistas.

Not so long ago people were lauding JLR for their upturn after the sale to the Indians.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - davecooper

On the same day that Ford announced job cuts but Rolls Royce announced record profits!

On the same day that Ford announced job cuts but Rolls Royce announced record profits!

RR make cars for the super rich, who ride out dips.The aspiring middle classes are more sensitive.

Ford's share of the European car market has been declining markedly for the last decade or so. They also had a serious profit drop recently due to weakening of the pound.

................................ for the super rich, who ride out dips.

Biggest laugh I've had in ages, thanks for that. :))

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - kiss (keep it simple)

True, the super rich, if the going gets tough, might have to trade down to a smaller Yacht or sell the odd mansion. A new Roller is merely short change.

I once heard a radio reporter commenting on how rich Bill Gates is and how to grasp the enormity of it, (I know he and a few others are exceptional, but hey-ho);

For him to buy a new £250,000 car is like you collecting your morning newspaper and deciding to also buy a bar of chocolate!

Edited by nick62 on 10/01/2019 at 14:08

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - bazza

Bazza, I work in pharmaceuticals (in engineering) and it's a disaster in the UK currently AFAIC. If it wasn't for me getting contract work in the EU over the last 12-18 months, I'd be looking for another job. ATM I'm dreading the 29th March as that may also cut-off my current income stream (but nobody knows)! Even the letters I get from HMRC (VAT) are a joke - telling you prepare for changes, but having no information whatsoever about what they will be..............................

...............Agree, Nick, yes I am still in pharma too and contracting as I approach some kind of retirement. It is a disaster for sure, I'm not sure if people outside of industry actually realise what is happening... both companies I've done work for recently are building new facilities in France & Ireland, ready to move the whole of testing and production overseas. This means job losses and closures in fairly poor areas, where pharma has flourished over the last 30 years. It really is a disaster unfolding.

Back on topic, good point Leif, I've no idea why folk buy them either! Especially after reading the reliability thread, I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me!

...............Agree, Nick, yes I am still in pharma too and contracting as I approach some kind of retirement. It is a disaster for sure, I'm not sure if people outside of industry actually realise what is happening... both companies I've done work for recently are building new facilities in France & Ireland, ready to move the whole of testing and production overseas. This means job losses and closures in fairly poor areas, where pharma has flourished over the last 30 years. It really is a disaster unfolding.

Yes, the last job I worked on for a UK based company was at a brand-new factory in Dundalk, built/set-up purely because of you know what!

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - madf

Yes, the last job I worked on for a UK based company was at a brand-new factory in Dundalk, built/set-up purely because of you know what!

No NO NOOOOOO The Brexiteers assured us it would not happen..

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - craig-pd130

True, the super rich, if the going gets tough, might have to trade down to a smaller Yacht or sell the odd mansion. A new Roller is merely short change.

In an issue of Car Magazine from the 80s, there was an interview with the then MD of Rolls Royce cars. The interviewer asked who he saw as his company's competition. The reply was "boat builders."

He went on to explain that the typical Rolls purchaser of the time would not consider any other marque of car: they would only buy a Rolls. However, the question was whether they bought a new yacht or cruiser that year, instead of a new Rolls.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Engineer Andy

................................ for the super rich, who ride out dips.

Biggest laugh I've had in ages, thanks for that. :))

Softer suspension those Rollers...

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - sandy56

Thanks guys.

The comments were interesting and informative, and funny. GREAT!

I feel sorry for the JLR employees, my niece amongst them, but JLR have been caught out, again, with a poor mix of cars, SUV's, and technology, and quality problems.

I remember back in the 70's we hired an original Range Rover to drive to south France. The fuel bill was horrendous, never again, and I never did. A big estate, petrol powered, and then diesel made much more sense.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - gordonbennet

LR chased the fashion and image buyers, and ignored their core market in hard working durable easy to fix industrial vehicles, they arn't the first maker to want to replace their core buyers with young things, Honda did similar in the noughties with Civic and to some extent Accord but at least buyers who could stand the new look still had something to buy, Defender buyers have nothing and it will be interesting to see if the eventual replacement is another lifestyle offering instead or a proper tough durable working vehicle.

I wouldn't worry too much about Brexit by the way peoples, it's quite obvious following the recent parliamentary loss for the govt, that enough tory MPs will agree to May's undeal, so stop blaming everything including the weather on Brexit because we won't be leaving.

Anyway, they'll have to get production going elsewhere so they can flog Solihull plant to Birmingham airport and/or Castle Brom would provide land for thousands of box homes for people with non jobs.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - SteveLee

TATA have been looking for an excuse to move production abroad for years, I've had three Range Rovers and at least five Jags, the fact they are made here is very important to me. I will not buy a foreign build Jag or Range Rover - I may as well buy foreign proper and save some money. So, I'm sure there are many people like me..

TATA have been looking for an excuse to move production abroad for years, I've had three Range Rovers and at least five Jags, the fact they are made here is very important to me. I will not buy a foreign build Jag or Range Rover - I may as well buy foreign proper and save some money. So, I'm sure there are many people like me..

Good point, our RR was built 5 miles up the road and I know some of the lads who work in the factory. My son was fortunate to get work experience at the plant too.It has the "old" 2.2 diesel lump under the bonnet and has been a good car thus far, but a change in circumstances has had me looking for a replacement, (its coming-up for six years old). The RR petrol engined options are too expensive for what they are (a "boring" old IL4), so I have been looking at other petrol engined marques:

Heart says a 3.0 V6 Porsche Macan, head says a 1.4 Suzuki Vitara!

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - RT

3 years ago, I was looking for a large premium SUV, I'd have loved to have bought British but couldn't get over the big question mark on Quality and Reliability - things don't seem to have changed much in the 3 years - ALL the surveys can't be wrong.

3 years ago, I was looking for a large premium SUV, I'd have loved to have bought British but couldn't get over the big question mark on Quality and Reliability - things don't seem to have changed much in the 3 years - ALL the surveys can't be wrong.

I fear they may have got worse? Whether this is anecdotal (i.e. the percentages are the same pro-rata) or due to them taking the line "people keep buying them so why should we give a toss" (about quality), its hard to know? It's a crying shame though, but I see it in all types of engineering unfortunately, such is the pressure to get products "to market"!

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Ethan Edwards

So not much difference there then! I love my 1.4 Vitara but hadn't thought of it as a Porsche alternative! You could buy three Vitaras for the price of a Porsche wheelnut or something.

So not much difference there then! I love my 1.4 Vitara but hadn't thought of it as a Porsche alternative! You could buy three Vitaras for the price of a Porsche wheelnut or something.

They are both 4WD SUV's Ethan and the similarity probably ends there? The only redeeming feature of the Porsche is the (relatively) low depreciation. :)

You only get one innings in this life however, but my biggest problem is SHMBO doesn't like the look of the Macan, (she much prefers the RRE). Whereas I am trying to justify to myself something with a big grunty petrol engine! On a completely different note I did toy with buying a Jaguar Ipace, but didn't like it when I saw it in the flesh. The JAG sales staff were also particularly hopeless. They wouldn't have managed to sell me one if I'd have had £70K in cash burning a hole in my pocket.

As ever it’s hard to know the truth, but Brexit provides many companies with a nice excuse for ‘cost cutting’.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - colinh

" Defender buyers have nothing and it will be interesting to see if the eventual replacement is another lifestyle offering instead or a proper tough durable working vehicle."

The magazines are reporting the replacement is in the £45-70k price range - hardly a working vehicle proposition

" Defender buyers have nothing and it will be interesting to see if the eventual replacement is another lifestyle offering instead or a proper tough durable working vehicle."

The magazines are reporting the replacement is in the £45-70k price range - hardly a working vehicle proposition

Funny though, when the farmers joined the truckers in the fuel protests ("Day of Action" in July/Aug 2000 time), there was a TV documentary made about it and they all turned-up in Range Rovers.

Edited by nick62 on 11/01/2019 at 00:57

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Sofa Spud

Hopefully the new Defender will have been designed with a fully electric version in mind. If not it will be obsolete within a few years.

Funny though, when the farmers joined the truckers in the fuel protests ("Day of Action" in July/Aug 2000 time), there was a TV documentary made about it and they all turned-up in Range Rovers.

It is said to be the best off road vehicle. When it doesn't break down. And comfort isn't bad either.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - gordonbennet

It is said to be the best off road vehicle. When it doesn't break down. And comfort isn't bad either.

Who by, one wonders?

There's a world of difference between text book approach/breakover/departure angles and unlimited off road settings tested on a specific off road course at Mira/Millbrook, and one's life depending on a vehicle proving to be a completely dependable basic design when miles from anywhere and anyone else in deteriorating conditions, thankfully not encountered too often in Chelsea or Cheshire.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Bilboman

In the Outback there's the old saying "If you want to get there, drive a Land Rover; if you want to get back, drive a Land Cruiser". I guess there's a grain of truth in that from somewhere.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Steveieb
Doesn't seem to apply in the UK where the average buyer simply doesn't care !
But I wonder if those arrogant sales people from JLR Main dealers will start offering discounts ?
My neighbour was offered nothing on her 99k Range Rover even though they had spent £75 k on a defender which was written off after the well documented oil starvation problem . They were offered and accepted £2500 on a Defender.
Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - Middleman

This decision was taken by JLR in 2015 and has nothing to do with diesel, China or Brexit. What it is to do with is the £120m provided to assist the transfer. This was ostensibly provided by Slovakia but since they are net recipients of EU funds it is simply the dosh provided by EU donor nations' taxpayers (including the UK) recycled from the "rich" to the "needy". The payment got round EU State AId rules because Slovakia is a poor area whereas Solihull is stinking rich. The EU treats its nation states as a single area and thinks it is quite in order to move jobs from the rich to the poor areas.

Edited by Middleman on 11/01/2019 at 20:01

EU money was used to partly fund moving Ford Transit jobs from the UK to Turkey - and they're not even in the EU! Using our own money to put British people on the dole! Probably some absurd pretence of cutting plant food emissions in the EU or something idiotic like that.

Jaguar Land Rover - 5000 job losses - daveyjp
There are almost some facts in that statement.

Ford borrowed money from the European Investment Bank (they could have borrowed from any number of other banks) to open a new factory in Turkey. They also borrowed almost £500m from the same bank to support UK based Ford activities.

Ford had already decided to close Southampton as it was too small and too expensive to expand.

Edited by daveyjp on 11/01/2019 at 21:24

The EIB often provides "cheap" loans - ie disguised grants to projects it favours politically. The Ford "loan" was supposedly such a beast.

This decision was taken by JLR in 2015 and has nothing to do with diesel, China or Brexit. What it is to do with is the £120m provided to assist the transfer. This was ostensibly provided by Slovakia but since they are net recipients of EU funds it is simply the dosh provided by EU donor nations' taxpayers (including the UK) recycled from the "rich" to the "needy". The payment got round EU State AId rules because Slovakia is a poor area whereas Solihull is stinking rich. The EU treats its nation states as a single area and thinks it is quite in order to move jobs from the rich to the poor areas.

The EU whilst considered a Socialist idyll by some is all too often pursuing the agenda of big business. The free movement of labour suits big companies who can create factories where labour is cheap, or bring cheap labour in to existing areas where it would otherwise be expensive. That said, it’ll be interesting to see the long term effects of EU spending in Eastern Europe, given that currently we are taking away their skilled labour. And of course policies towards countries such as Greece are often seen as serving Germany’s interests, not those countries. I suppose you could also see the EU as serving the narrow interests of the senior politicians, whereby they create a powerful entity to further their own careers, with little regard for the effects locally.