What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta mk6 - starter noise - Lepidus
Hi guys

I've just come back from holiday and tried to start my car, normal ignition lights have come on on the second turn, but when I turn to start it makes a firing noise (like a machine gun). I'm not sure if this is just the battery being low on power and not having the strength to turn the engine over.

I have had my battery light on for a few months now, which I know sounds stupid, but I tested my battery at the time and the volts were normal. The battery never died and so the alternator seemed to be working ok also (and at the time i was driving over 1500 miles a month). I put it down to Fiestas having a 'smart charge' cable that must've gone faulty so was declaring something was wrong (and dealers charge a fortune to look at this). I'm not sure this is the issue though as it's driven fine with this issue. I've cleaned the spark plugs within the last 4 months but they could've got damp whilst it's standing.

After the machine gun noise the door locks fire. This also happened when I disconnected the negative end on the battery and tapped this against the battery node.

This is a video of what is happening: youtu.be/EjtB31w3bXQ

Thanks
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta mk6 - starter noise - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like your battery has expired
Ford Fiesta - Ford Fiesta mk6 - starter noise - Peter.N.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery with the engine running, should read around 14.4 volts, much lower and you probably have a duff alternator.