What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Return to C-segment saloons? - Bilboman

While D segment saloons are dropping like flies it is curious to see that Honda will soon be offering the Civic "3 box" saloon in the UK. This segment of the UK car market went from saloon only, to either/or in the 80s (Belmont/Orion/R19/Golf-Jetta/Volvo 3-4 series/323/ Corolla/Sunny) to hatch-only as the hatchback market "matured", several years ahead of mainland Europe, where booted versions of the Astra, Focus, Megane and C3 and of smaller cars like the Clio, Nova (Corsa Mk.1) always sold well. It took a decade to wean Spanish buyers off the 7 and onto the 5 and Greek car rental fleets are replete with 301s right now.
Many markets have always viewed hatchbacks with suspicion, with the classic 3-box saloon - of any size - seen as more secure (laptop in the boot), stable (less "flexing" of the body) and "prestigious" (An A3 saloon that looks just like an A4!) Are these notions returning to British car buyers' minds once again? Mercedes, Audi and Honda seem to think so!

Return to C-segment saloons? - badbusdriver

The Civic saloon is only going to be offered (in this country) with the 1.0 turbo petrol and 1.6 turbo diesel. This suggests to me they know it will be very much a niche market.

The other saloons of a similar size which are becoming popular again are from the so called 'prestige' brands like Audi with the A3 saloon, and Mercedes with the A class saloon. Not really sure why, perhaps just a fad?. Regarding security, i'm not sure there is actually anything in the percieved notion that a saloon is more secure, especially with at least some of them having folding rear seats. For the same reason, the extra rigidity may not be there either. But the extra refinement should, at least in theory, actually be there. Whether or not it would be enough to be a factor in the decision to buy, i don't know.

Return to C-segment saloons? - Sofa Spud

Surely the latest fashion in saloon cars is the double-cab 4x4 pickup with a hinged plastic lid on the load bed.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/09/2018 at 18:13

Return to C-segment saloons? - badbusdriver

Surely the latest fashion in saloon cars is the double-cab 4x4 pickup with a hinged plastic lid on the load bed.

Not sure about it being the 'latest' fashion in saloon cars, surely the fad for double cab pickup's pre-dates, and ideed is at least partly responsible for, the SUV takeover (folks tried the double cab pickup, liked being up high, but didn't like the driving manners, lack of refinement, etc).

Return to C-segment saloons? - Stackman II

I seem to remember that the Ford Orion was unusual in that despite being a saloon it had a rear wiper. Can't think of any other saloon which had one.

The rise in popularity in double-cab pickups I believe is due to their BIK Tax Advantages. I understand that they are classed as commercial vehicles so allow the small business owner to enjoy the 4x4 experience for peanuts.

The downside, of course, is that for all their interior blandishments, they are at heart rugged commercial vehicles with the subsequent compromises in economy, ride and handling.

Return to C-segment saloons? - Engineer Andy

I think this is due to the better flexibility of hatchbacks and the Britishers' love on taking the whole family on a 'back and spade' holiday with the entire boot and back window full of luggage and holiday stuff. You can't do that with a saloon as there's no parcel shelf to remove, even if the boot itself (with the parcel shelf in) is smaller in the hatchback versions.

My Mazda3 saloon (now fastback) is quite rare, and Mazda themseves have reduced the range by knocking out the auto option etc.

On the other hand, Hyundai is seemingly going in the opposite direction and not only introducing a sort-of saloon in the i30 Fastback (unlike the Mazda, which is one, the i30 is a hatchback, like the Skoda Rapid/SEAT Toledo) in both 1.0T (equivalent to the stand 2.0 N/A in the Mazda) and 1.4T petrols and now offering a hot 'N' version.

Good for them, and if they can improve the overly firm/crashy suspension on the standard Fastback i30, then I would definitely consider getting one for my next car in 1.4T-GDi form, though I'd prefer it in 1.6T-GDi form as it comes in North America), especially as it looks nice, visually similar to the Mazda but has a full hatch boot opening, which is far more usable than the small one in both the current and my older Mazda3 (even though the boot size is good at 400-420 lts). It's probably not quite as good handling as the (likely more rigid) 'proper' saloon Mazda3 fastback, but it'll probably be at least as good if not better than my 12yo example, even when it was new.

I do like the Audi A3 saloon - a very good looking car indeed, especially when mated to the 1.4/1.5 TSi 150 engine and in black. Of course, it is rather expensive in comparison to the other two I've mentioned.

Not a fan of the Civic saloon, I don't think its as good looking as the hatch, which to me is, ok, but nothing more (looks wise), and is a BIG car, almost Accord sized. The current Mazda3 fastback (no longer than mine but 20mm wider) and the i30 equivalent (same size) are as big as I would want. I actually prefer the 3dr Golf GT and Seat Leon SC FR as 'coupe like' shaped cars, especially with that same engine as the Audi, but with the better access of the hatch boot opening.