What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - napthungxe

Ford has confirmed the high performance version of its Ranger pickup truck will be coming to the UK.

The Ranger Raptor is powered by a new twin-turbo 2.0 diesel engine that puts out 210bhp and 500NM of torque. It will go on sale in Britain next summer.

The engine drives the pick-up through the same ten-speed automatic gearbox ( Vi Khang )as its American equivalent, the Ford F-150 Raptor. To ensure optimum performance in any conditions, drivers have six different modes – two for on-road use, and four for off-road driving.

With extra ground clearance thanks to long-travel suspension, the Ranger Raptor rides high and is distinguished by a unique front grille, LED headlamps and composite bumpers that are designed to withstand the punishment that off-road use can bring. Those are flared to match wheel arches contoured to house much bigger wheels and tyres, while the aluminum alloy side steps are perforated to allow mud, sand and snow to drain.

The toughness continues under the surface, with a stiffer frame and upgraded brakes. The suspension has been designed with fast off-road driving in mind, and is intended to tackle undulating terrain at speed while providing a comfortable ride on the road. Meanwhile, a ‘bash plate’ underneath the vehicle protects vulnerable mechanical parts, and special treaded tyres are designed for maximum traction in sand, snow and mud.

The ten-speed auto gearbox is a first for Ford in the UK but expect to see it on further models in the future (http://vikhang.com.vn/san-pham/thung-xe-ban-tai-chevrolet-colorado-8). Ford hasn’t confirmed whether the Ranger Raptor will be sold through its commercial branches or its much more widespread main dealer network.

Edited by napthungxe on 03/09/2018 at 15:24

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - skidpan

Why the feck do people want these vehicles in the UK. I can see the point of L220's, Hi-Lux's etc but what is the use of these "lifestyle" versions.

Very few if any will be used of road, the drivers just look like total idiots parked outside schools.

Come the revolution they will be banned and crushed.

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - badbusdriver

I too am baffled by the popularity of the 'lifestyle' pickup. Too big and too cumbersome, apart from the relatively svelte l200 and it's Fiat twin, they usually have very poor ride (unless loaded) and handling. Also, for a family, the load bay is not much use for chucking shopping in the back unless you have a canopy. Even then, due to the height and size of the load bay, it is still going to be very awkward to use unless you are very tall.

Had to laugh at the description 'fire breathing', 210bhp in a pick up weighing 2 tons, possibly more, is going to make it 'brisk' at best. Remember the US equivalent of this is going to have as much as 500bhp.

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - gordonbennet

210 hp is pretty standard fare (why didn;t they use the 3.2 Diesel and breathe on that one?, a 3.0 litre Hilux produced 171 and a simple plug in box from the Deeside main dealer (a Steinbauer unit) whipped that up to the 200hp, though the 171 jobbie had more than enough torque for most.

The appeal of pick ups lies very much in realistic commercial VED where if it wasn't classed as commercial it would have been straight in @ £500 level on the old ved bands, then there's the VAT able to be claimed back by those in business, and they're sensibly priced to begin with.

Pick ups arn't what they used to be, the right model with the right engine and box is as comfortable and pleasant to drive and be in as many SUVs, helped a lot because the OE tyres are usually sensible 65/70 aspect which means its almost impossible to damage the wheels and they're often devoid of much of the electric faff to fail of equivalent sized 4x4's in estate form.

If you have dogs or carry some muddy or dusty materials about that separate load area makes a lot of sense, a good lockable hardtop from around £800.

I'd have another if we had the need for one again.

The only issue is depreciation, Hilux stands almost alone at being a very slow depreciator, you can buy two 5 year old equivalents of other makes for the cost of one Hilux, so that is still the one that makes a sensible new buy.

What does surprise me is why no maker has thought to import the petrol engined version and offer maker approved LPG conversions, there's always stacks of room underbody for a decent LPG tank or two, giving the vehicle well over 500 mile range between 56ppl fill ups.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/09/2018 at 16:58

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - Engineer Andy

They're ditching the Mondeo but bringing in a huge, US-designed-and-made pick-up truck that won't fit UK sized parking spaces or narrow roads, so that white van drivers can spend £5 - £10k more on their vehicle, all the while the Japanese make far better vehicles of that type that actually last.

That makes sense.

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - carl233

Maybe Ford should address the real world issue of some Kuga vehicles bursting into flames and catching fire. Just spend time looking into this a major issue that is not covered as much as it should be.

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - BMW Enthusiast

Redneck Britain!

Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - mcb100
Anyone else seeing this just as a spam post, complete with links to a Korean(?) Chevrolet dealer?
Ford confirms fire-breathing Ranger Raptor pickup for UK - badbusdriver

Just a quick update on the 'fire-breathing' Ranger Raptor, as i came upon an article about it in a (month old) Autoexpress i was reading. Here is a link to the online version.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/ranger/104193/new-ford-...w

Firstly, the estimated cost (early 2019) is £42500, now i'm not up to date with new pickup prices in the UK, but that seems pretty steep to me, especially given how (according to the honest john specifications page, the current most expensive Ranger is just over £26k for the Wildcat 3.2TDCI auto.

Secondly, when this post first popped up, i questioned whether or not a large and heavy pickup touting 210bhp could really be labelled fire-breathing. Turns out my own estimate for the weight was actually a tad optimistic as it actually weighs 2404kg. In real terms this gives it a power to weight ratio of 87bhp per ton.

By comparison, this is not only worse than than the slightly less poweful but nearly 200kg lighter (not to mention £16k cheaper) 3.2 version i mentioned, which has 90bhp per ton,but my wife's Honda Jazz CVT has a power to weight ratio of 93bhp per ton and i can't imagine anyone labelling that as fire-breathing!.

So while the chassis modifications may make it very good off road, and it may well look really butch, if you are into that kind of thing, but 'fire breathing' it most certainly aint!.