What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - Dip73

Hello All

I have plan my Barcelona and Valencia Trip by road from UK/London which is around 3000 miles using my VW Golf. However my insurance co. did not allow to add my daugther name for 1 week trip as s resul It, can't use Golf and now I am thinking to use my other small car 2009 Jazz which is 1.2 ltr and around 42000 miles on clock at present. it has been regularlly serviced and drived well, I used it for my Bruseles trip last Christmas.

Because plan trip is very long drive, I would like to have your views if I can use it on this trip or anyone of you have drive such miles on small car?

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - gordonbennet

Every day on the roads i see all sorts of cars of all ages on European number plates far from home, makes and models far more unreliable than a Jazz.

Get someone reliable to give it a service and a once over a couple of weeks before you leave, and enjoy your trip.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - Bromptonaut

The days when small cars were basic, noisy and uncomfortable like the Issigonis Mini are long gone. As long as the seats are comfortable, the cabin quiet and you, your passengers and your baggage fit in you'll be fine.

A Jazz should be just as good at 110/130 kph as any other car.

Only reservation would be if it lacks aircon but even that's not impossible. We did multiple trips to southern France in a non aircon Berlingo.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - badbusdriver

I'm not sure i understand this question, why would you not be able to do the journey in a Jazz?. This may be the smaller of the two engines available in that era of Jazz (in this country anyway), but it still has 90bhp and a top speed of 110mph. I'm not sure what age Golf you have, but from a reliability point of view, frankly i'd feel more confident of the Jazz managing the trip than a similar age Golf. And in terms of size, the Golf is not much smaller than a Jazz. To put it another way, back in 2008 we had a Daihatsu Sirion 1.0 (68bhp), i would have absolutely no qualms at all in using it for that journey.

I'm not sure i understand this question, why would you not be able to do the journey in a Jazz?. This may be the smaller of the two engines available in that era of Jazz (in this country anyway), but it still has 90bhp and a top speed of 110mph. I'm not sure what age Golf you have, but from a reliability point of view, frankly i'd feel more confident of the Jazz managing the trip than a similar age Golf. And in terms of size, the Golf is not much smaller than a Jazz. To put it another way, back in 2008 we had a Daihatsu Sirion 1.0 (68bhp), i would have absolutely no qualms at all in using it for that journey.

Just noticed my mistake here, "the Golf is not much smaller than the Jazz", which should of course read, the Golf is not much larger than the Jazz!.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - Dip73

Thank for your feedback... just to update you about my golf, it is 1.4ltr 2015 model, due to my insurar did not allow to add my daughter for 1 week trip I planned to use Jazz....

Presumably a 1.4TSI then, which explains why you can't get your daughter on the insurance. The Golf would be more refined, much faster and probably not much less mpg. But assuming your Jazz is well looked after and in good shape, it will be absolutely fine.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - SLO76
I went round France, Switzerland and Italy in a £300 Ford Mondeo once. A properly maintained 2009 Jazz could go to Mongolia and back without a hitch. Wouldn’t be my first choice as a drivers car but reliability is second to none.
Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - catsdad
Pah!
Many years ago I drove from Aberdeen to San Sebastian in Northern Spain and back in a 998cc Issigonis mini. I used the short channel crossing and did the whole trip in a fortnight without ever driving more than 8 hours a day. It wasn't a particular hardship. A Jazz would be luxury.
Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - nellyjak

Can't believe there could be any doubt at all.... the Jazz would easily do the trip.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - TheGentlemanThug

It's not so much an issue of reliability as it is an issue of comfort and practicality.

As gordonbennet suggested, a service beforehand would be a good idea, assuming the car's not had one recently.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - alan1302

It's not so much an issue of reliability as it is an issue of comfort and practicality.

As gordonbennet suggested, a service beforehand would be a good idea, assuming the car's not had one recently.

I've been in a Jazz and the ride was fine, seemed comfy and as long as you can fit all the luggae in it would not be a problem...a Golf is not really much larger

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - TheGentlemanThug

I've been in a Jazz and the ride was fine, seemed comfy and as long as you can fit all the luggae in it would not be a problem...a Golf is not really much larger

Exactly my point. If the Jazz is comfortable and practical enough for the journey then there's no reason to doubt it.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - Theophilus

Brother-in-law recently handed on his 14 year old, 120,000+ mile 1.2 Jazz to a mutual friend - it has never let them down.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - mss1tw

The car will be fine especially as you know the service history. As per Bromp I did the Pyrenees and back, towing, with a 1.9D Berlingo. Comfort not an issue, lack of A.C. admittedly was, as was lack of power on hills.

You won't have either of those problems!

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - argybargy

We used to go on holiday regularly in our H reg Nissan Primera.

"A" roads from the Wirral to South Wales and back on two occasions, several return trips to Cumbria, visits to my brothers in Somerset and Scarborough. In between, country roads, country lanes, A roads, B roads, stuck in traffic, moving fast, negotiating winding, bumpy tracks: never let us down once. I only sold it because it began to feel embarrassing to have owned the same car for so long.

I wouldn't have a moment's hesitation about subjecting our current Japanese model, a 13 plate Jazz, to similar mileage, and it should swallow your trip without missing a beat: providing its been looked after.

So as said above, have it serviced first.

Honda Jazz - Long Drive Possibility in 2009 Honda Jazz - skidpan

Cannot see why a well maintained 9 year old Jazz should not do the trip but you would need to ensure you have a bullett proof brakdown policy should the worst happen. Some exclude repatriation of older cars in the small print so beware.

Dad had a 1.4 Jazz but only had it 5 years, never went wrong

But

When he replaced it he looked at the newer 1.2 but quickly passed over it when it had no air con as standard. A/C was an option but from memory it was very expensive. Would not want to do a European trip with no A/C.

For the record the car was economical but it was very noisy, had uncomfortable front seats and and a very firm ride. Any of the last 3 would make a long trip difficult, all 3 together could make it unbearable. To put it into perspective the Jazz was replaced with a 1.2 Micra. It had better seats, a better ride and was quieter and lets be honest, the Micra is no continental cruiser.