What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - Free-man

Hi gentlemen

I had a first speeding letter through the post a month ago. Was doing 41 in a 30. It stated that in this range, I would be eligible to do a speeding education course. I filled it out and sent it off.

Then I got another letter back stating I am now to pay a fixed penalty of 100 quid and send my licence in to get 3 points on it.

A bit harsh no? Annoyed as I never speed and just got nipped coming out of a service station.

Is this usual? I would've thought the education course would be the first option before points?

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - RobJP

Was doing 41 in a 30

Annoyed as I never speed

I think you've got a long way to go ...

You 'never speed' but got caught doing well over the limit in a 30 zone.

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - Free-man

Well I recall the day it happened, had been really really draining, one of the days where you start with little sleep, are off your feet all day, don't get much food in, and leave work very late - pulled into a filling station and as I pulled out went up to 41 quite quickly to get out in front of oncoming traffic and saw the flash, problem was between the exit and the camera are no signs so by the time I'd got my petrol I'd forgotten what the limit was for there. Think it may have been 39mph I was doing actually.

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - Bromptonaut

Offenders who are not egregiously over the limit get offer of either speed awareness course or fixed penalty and three points. See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/123413/1-series---...g on this forum for process with serious offending.

I'd guess that 41 in a 30 is too serious to meet local force's criteria for course but not bad enough for an appointment with the bench. Absent any real defence your course of least resistance and best likely outcome is probably to accept the fine and points.

If you want to explore alternatives then there will be stuff on the Pepipoo forum or seek a free initial interview with a motoring solicitor.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/06/2018 at 00:20

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - SteVee

I was offered a Speed-Awareness course for 41 MPH in a 30 limit. I very gratefully accepted and considered myself 'lucky'. I deserved the fine and points, but I learnt the lesson well and have tried to keep to all limits since. In the 5 years since then, they could well have reduced the limits on the Speed Awareness course.

I did find the whole process of course or points confusing. I think once the decision has been made to not offer the course then you can either take the fine/points or opt for a bigger fine/points in court.

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - alan1302

A bit harsh no? Annoyed as I never speed and just got nipped coming out of a service station.

No, not harsh, you broke the law so have to pay the price.

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - Avant

I think there's a bit of a postcode lottery: as far as I know, police forces set their own criteria.

Some years ago, when we lived in Berks, SWMBO was done for speeding. It seemed that Thames Valley Police let you off if you'd done 31-35 in a 30 limit; offered you a course if it was 36; and it was a fine + 3 points for 37+.

SWMBO went on the course and found that most others had done 36 too: presumably there were corresponding criteria for higher speed limits.

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - FP

"...as far as I know, police forces set their own criteria."

Apparently, there are national guidelines:

"(a) You haven't been convicted of any other speeding offences in the past three years;

(b) You've been caught driving over 10% plus 2mph [some say 3mph] of the limit, but below 10% plus 9mph. In a 30mph zone, this means anything between 35mph and 42mph, while in a 70mph zone it means anything between 79mph and 86mph."

Note: these guidelines establish eligibility for a speed awareness course. How much local areas vary from that I have no idea. In any case, they do not mean that you have a right to a speed awareness course instead of points and a fine.

Edited by FP on 26/06/2018 at 15:50

Ford Focus - Confused by Speeding Fine process - Middleman

The above is correct apart from one or two minor points:

(a) You haven't been convicted of any other speeding offences in the past three years;

A conviction is not a bar to being offered a course. The only criterion is that you must not have done one in the previous three years (the dates of the offences being used for the calculation).

(b) You've been caught driving over 10% plus 2mph [some say 3mph] of the limit, but below 10% plus 9mph.

Course are offered for speeds up to Limit +10% +9mph (not below it). So in a 30mph limit 42 mph should see a course offered whilst 43mph would not.

As far as I know all forces in England & Wales comply with these guidelines. It may be worth a call to the ticket office to see if there has been a mistake. The problem is that courses (and indeed fixed penalties) are entirely at the discretion of the police and you have no right to either.

Edited by Middleman on 26/06/2018 at 22:55